NY Post: Petrie to sign extension

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/bye_bye_bird_ie_cpnHrR0HJB38R7tWWRc5iJ/1

Not much, here's the relevant part:
Word has it Kings president Geoff Petrie is about to sign a new deal. Wonder if the Maloof Brothers know he claimed Travis Outlaw (32-104, including 6-35 from deep) off the amnesty wire for $3.5 million.

If true, why? Why are we extending guys prematurely? Petrie had a terrible off season, didn't do anything at the deadline, and has a considerable amount of work to do just to undo some of his poor moves. Why not wait to see what he does after the draft and part of the off season?

If he has a good summer, I see no problem extending him. I do however see a continuing problem, going on for half a decade now, with our emotional owners extending key pieces in our organization prematurely, before they prove their worth. And he's already extended through next season. Makes no sense, unless you like throwing away money prematurely, which, uh, the Maloofs are known to do. Just see how he finishes out the last year of his contract which hasn't even kicked in yet.

Last edited:
Good news. Petrie can't be matched in my book. I like what he does. Such a refreshing change from what I see as GM ideas from other sources. And the earlier the better.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Good news. Petrie can't be matched in my book. I like what he does. Such a refreshing change from what I see as GM ideas from other sources. And the earlier the better.
Yes, being tied with Minn for the longest current playoff drought is a truly remarkable performance. So was our last off season. Brilliant work. A masterpiece.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Petrie deserves an extension, if he wants to. Has done as good a job as possible. Were not any deals Maloofs would have approved that Petrie dod not make. He got Thornton who seems to be pretty good and drafted great. So. would be happy for Petrie to extend, if he wants to.

Bleh... Im not against this move but im not excited about it either. I meen Petrie did net us Cousins, Reke, Thornton (trade), Thomas, .. Hes a solid drafter thats about it.. His trades are bleh... His contracts are bleh.. we ll see what he does though..

He needs to put his focus on defensive players now. Does he even have it in his arsenal to recognize a good defensive player? He seems to only love offensivley skilled players & midgets.. I meen come on this is the NBA not Wizard Of Oz land...

Bleh... Im not against this move but im not excited about it either. I meen Petrie did net us Cousins, Reke, Thornton (trade), Thomas, .. Hes a solid drafter thats about it.. His trades are bleh... His contracts are bleh.. we ll see what he does though..

He needs to put his focus on defensive players now. Does he even have it in his arsenal to recognize a good defensive player? He seems to only love offensively skilled players & midgets.. I meen come on this is the NBA not Wizard Of Oz land...
Has Petrie ever emphasized defense? The last good defensive team he constructed was when Keon Clark was still a King.

Petrie deserves an extension, if he wants to. Has done as good a job as possible. Were not any deals Maloofs would have approved that Petrie dod not make. He got Thornton who seems to be pretty good and drafted great. So. would be happy for Petrie to extend, if he wants to.
Did the Maloofs pick up Outlaw or trade Hickson for Omri and a future first? Did the Maloofs sign Beno to a mid-level deal only to trade him for John freaking Salmons and no D Jimmer? Did the Maloofs sign Garcia to a midlevel? Did the Maloof grab the midget Hayes while forgoing a real defensive center like Dally? And on and on and on...

Geeez, the in Petrie we trust mantra is so annoying.

CruzDude

Did the Maloofs pick up Outlaw or trade Hickson for Omri and a future first? Did the Maloofs sign Beno to a mid-level deal only to trade him for John freaking Salmons and no D Jimmer? Did the Maloofs sign Garcia to a midlevel? Did the Maloof grab the midget Hayes while forgoing a real defensive center like Dally? And on and on and on...

Hmmm. Did the Maloofs say NO to any of those? Beno gave Kings some very good years and would help even now ( he was the beat stop-and-pop shooter on he team), Cisco is major plus on bench and in locker room (ever team needs someone like that) and has shown his benefit lately with minutes, JJ I'll give you and Outlaw is, well in spurts has done well lately and after a full preseason may find himself in the main rotation. I use lately a lot as it takes time, each time the coaching, roster and injuries change yet again what was started. Trading for the sake of trading never got anyone up the ladder.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Petrie's name is on all those moves. Whether he has full conrol of his position is a question I always ask. Is he simply a "yes man" to the Maloofs? I don't know. I suspect he is but that's as far as I can go. That's not an excuse nor an endorsement of Petrie. It's an explanation. If we pull off a great draft pick next year and the people he has acquired mature as they should, I'm not going to complain.

Anyway, the relationship between the Maloofs and Petrie is unhealthy for the future of the Kings. Although we aren't supposed to say such things, I think as long as the team is owned by the Maloofs, it will be limited by their impulsive and frequently idiotic moves.

Hmmm. Did the Maloofs say NO to any of those? Beno gave Kings some very good years and would help even now ( he was the beat stop-and-pop shooter on he team), Cisco is major plus on bench and in locker room (ever team needs someone like that) and has shown his benefit lately with minutes, JJ I'll give you and Outlaw is, well in spurts has done well lately and after a full preseason may find himself in the main rotation. I use lately a lot as it takes time, each time the coaching, roster and injuries change yet again what was started. Trading for the sake of trading never got anyone up the ladder.
Is it the job of the owners to interfere with the moves the GM makes? Some people say they interfere too much and now you're implying they didn't step up to the plate to stop Petrie's insantity. You can't have it both ways.

petrie's recent moves for the most part have sucked, but he is a fine GM overall, given the fact that he has ZERO margin for error.the maloofs need to give him the proper resources (money) to compete with other GM's . They also need to stop overreacting and rewarding guys based on limited sample sizes.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
When I saw the thread title, I was really hoping that the OP would continue with, "... to Jason Thompson," or, "... to Tyreke Evans." I am utterly "meh" on Petrie.

The moves Petrie made this last couple of years have not been good to the team. And the most worrisome aspect is that those moves are a result of gross mis-calcuation - a believe that the team is ready to win now when it clearly isn't and a gross mis-evaluation of talent.

If Petrie had learned his lesson, I'd be good with him going forward as the GM. But we simply don't know if he still believes what he believed at the beginning of the season. If he still thinks that this team is ready to be a playoff team and make more win-now moves, we may be in for a lot of trouble. When I look at this team, I see three starting positions that still need to be filled. I fear that when Petrie sees this team, he sees a solid starting fives.

On the flip side, The Maloofs seem to really trust Petrie. So there's that. I'm still puzzled why the kids hated Adelman so much.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/bye_bye_bird_ie_cpnHrR0HJB38R7tWWRc5iJ/1

Word has it Kings president Geoff Petrie is about to sign a new deal. Wonder if the Maloof Brothers know he claimed Travis Outlaw (32-104, including 6-35 from deep) off the amnesty wire for $3.5 million.

If true, why? Why are we extending guys prematurely? Petrie had a terrible off season, didn't do anything at the deadline, and has a considerable amount of work to do just to undo some of his poor moves. Why not wait to see what he does after the draft and part of the off season?

If he has a good summer, I see no problem extending him. I do however see a continuing problem, going on for half a decade now, with our emotional owners extending key pieces in our organization prematurely, before they prove their worth. And he's already extended through next season. Makes no sense, unless you like throwing away money prematurely, which, uh, the Maloofs are known to do. Just see how he finishes out the last year of his contract which hasn't even kicked in yet.
It's a reward for a fantastic off-season where he managed to **** up structure of the team, overpay average players and spend a chunk of salary cap room to get a worse team. It takes brains to make that many **** ups in a single off-season so I guess that needs to be rewarded :D

Has Petrie ever emphasized defense? The last good defensive team he constructed was when Keon Clark was still a King.

Think you might want to direct some questions the coaches way. He brought in one of the best defenders on the market this summer in Chuck Hayes. Just saw it against Al Jefferson, might be time to ask the coach why he doesn't spend more than a few minutes on some of the players he was brought in to defend.

CruzDude

Well let's see how "bad" Petrie has drafted the past 4 years:

2008 Jason Thompson
2009 Tyreke Evans
2010 Demarcus Cousins (+acquiring Marcus Thornton!)
2011 Jimmer Fredette, Tyler Honeycutt (2nd round) + Isaiah Thomas at #60

Lets see, our starters are........ oh yeah, someone drafted in each of the past 4 years (giving Tyreke the benefit of the doubt). Hmmm, and this isn't good? Sure seems Petrie is a keeper.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

He's been here 15+ years, I hardly think waiting a few more months is going to substantially change anybody's read on him.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Short answer = no. But rather than anti-defense per se he is clearly overly facinated by offense. He might not mind havign defense on the team, he jsut can't quite wrap his mind around how anybody would ever want defense if it meant giving up offense. When we got Doug Christie he was a multitalented 16ppg scoring guard who also played great defense. Bobby Jackson was similar. Most of our defensive stalwarts over the years have been picked up ont eh tultra-cheap. Scot Pollard gets scooped up off the waiver wire. Keon Clark has a deal fall through so we pick him up on the cheap. Jim Jackson same thing on a 1yr deal. Artest was an 18pt scorer we got giving up a player we were going to lose in 4 months anyway. Our oh so aggressive move to sign Hayes instead of Daly may have actaully, somewhat insanely, had as mucn to do with him being a good passer as anything else. Great teams fight like mad dogs to suck up all the DeAndre Jordans and Tyson Chandlers and Shane Battiers of the world. Crappy teams like ourselves are busy scooping up JJ Hickson and Jimmer Fredettes.

Its an excusable record over a 15+ year period. Truly defensive mined GMs have run through dozens of defensively minded players in the decades since Petrie started GMing, while we've only had a few. Its not magic. Its just what you value and what you will give up to get it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks. Since you said this, I can just say...ditto.

2008 Jason Thompson
2009 Tyreke Evans
2010 Demarcus Cousins

Lets see, our starters are........ oh yeah, someone drafted in each of the past 4 years (giving Tyreke the benefit of the doubt). Hmmm, and this isn't good? Sure seems Petrie is a keeper.
Best drafter in the NBA.

Just wish he would have kept Dalembert, eventually I'll get over it. That's really my only complaint over the last few years. Now you can nitpick all you want about little mistakes, but that's a given in his profession. You take risks. Any GM who doesn't take risks doesn't win. Although, I probably would not have done the Outlaw move. I'm open to the Salmons thing working out though.

Also, although we'd like to be able to say some things are definitively his fault, we'll really never know about any limitations or influences the Maloofs had/put on him.

Agree with all of this, the only thing I can think of is that Geoff has some incriminating pictures that include the Maloofs, midget strippers, and copious amounts of alcohol. Not really too pleased with the job he's done lately.

This starting crew accounts for one of the worst records in the NBA.

Again, we tied for the LONGEST streak of no playoffs in the NBA. How on earth can one say our GM is doing a good job?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

2008 Jason Thompson
2009 Tyreke Evans
2010 Demarcus Cousins

The draft is not the problem. Never was. It's more sort of the "trade for John Salmons, twice, sign Travis Outlaw off Waivers, sign Chuck Hayes, but let Samuel Dalembert walk, essentially give a draft pick to get rid of Omri Casspi, hire Eric Musselman, hire Reggie Theus, hire Kenny Natt, hire Paul Westphal" part that's the problem.

Petrie has taken two of his last six first-round draft picks, and turned them into a negative draft pick. That's a neat trick.

This starting crew accounts for one of the worst records in the NBA.

Again, we tied for the LONGEST streak of no playoffs in the NBA. How on earth can one say our GM is doing a good job?
There could be more to the picture. Maloof meddling/economy/George Maloof meddling/George Maloofs personal economy.

There was the inevitable fall from grace... and even the frequently criticized slow half hearted (at first) rebuild could have significantly been influenced by the Maloofs unwillingness to bite the bullet.

Of course you can always find things to criticize in position like his, but overall, you can't claim that he's "not doing his job." Simply because you don't have conclusive evidence.

CruzDude

OMG!!! The voice of reason rears its ugly head!

How easy it is to forget that NBA teams are a business and the owners make final decisions many times having nothing to do with basketball, players, standings, etc.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
OMG!!! The voice of reason rears its ugly head!

How easy it is to forget that NBA teams are a business and the owners make final decisions many times having nothing to do with basketball, players, standings, etc.
Casspi and a pick for Hickson couldn't have possibly been a financial decision. We took back more money, and a much longer contract when we sent Udrih to Milwaukee for Salmons. We didn't need Outlaw when we signed him.

Casspi and a pick for Hickson couldn't have possibly been a financial decision. We took back more money, and a much longer contract when we sent Udrih to Milwaukee for Salmons. We didn't need Outlaw when we signed him.
Something that's always frustrated me with the petrie supporters. Every good move is a sign of petrie's genius. Every bad move had to have been the maloofs fault.

Realistically, you could look at the last decade of basketball and we basically had a mess of a non rebuild the first half, cap clearing for nothing that has substantially added to the rebuild (with the important exception of sucking enough to draft really well in 2 consecutive years) and then maybe one move that worked out in our favor (the martin to eventual thornton moves). Besides 2 picks and one trade, almost every other move in the past decade has either flat out sucked or been at best worthy of a shoulder shrug.