NY Post: Petrie to sign extension

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Something that's always frustrated me with the petrie supporters. Every good move is a sign of petrie's genius. Every bad move had to have been the maloofs fault.

Realistically, you could look at the last decade of basketball and we basically had a mess of a non rebuild the first half, cap clearing for nothing that has substantially added to the rebuild (with the important exception of sucking enough to draft really well in 2 consecutive years) and then maybe one move that worked out in our favor (the martin to eventual thornton moves). Besides 2 picks and one trade, almost every other move in the past decade has either flat out sucked or been at best worthy of a shoulder shrug.
SHould be noted hwoever that those three moves are by far the three most important moves int eh last decade for this team. As was the losing. Fans...are stubborn aoubt losing. They don't want to take their medicine. But its a tactic in itself, and it builds you your new team. My larger issue is that I think the first mega-losing year -- the one that netted us Tyreke, was an accident. I truly think Petrie thought Kevin Martin, John Salmons (yep, good ole John) and Brad Miller were going to lead us to playoff contention. And to such a misjudgment you just have to say...wow. Nonetheless, there we fell, and until this past offseason things were going much better than people could see. Again, fans get caught up in W-L records, but that's not what you are trying to do. We nabbed 2 top young guys in the draft, added another via trade, had a solid vet to supplement both the bigs and the littles...and oopsie. If you have asked me this time last year whether to re-up Geoff or not I say absolutely. Doing a capital job of rebuilding once he finally committed to it. Then he had one pee poor offseason again.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
He's been here 15+ years, I hardly think waiting a few more months is going to substantially change anybody's read on him.
Well no, it won't, but my point was more of if he has a good off season this summer, corrects a couple of his mistakes, and shows he can surround our young core with pieces which fit, and shows he can use cap space effectively instead of what we saw last summer, then I would argue he might be deserving of an extension.

But that's after the off season and after he earns it, not before. He's under contract through next season anyway, so why not wait to see what he does this off season before rewarding him.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Well let's see how "bad" Petrie has drafted the past 4 years:

2008 Jason Thompson
2009 Tyreke Evans
2010 Demarcus Cousins
2011 Jimmer Fredette, Tyler Honeycutt (2nd round) + Isaiah Thomas at #60

Lets see, our starters are........ oh yeah, someone drafted in each of the past 4 years (giving Tyreke the benefit of the doubt). Hmmm, and this isn't good? Sure seems Petrie is a keeper.
So you judge him solely on drafting? I don't think anyone points to drafting as his weakness. Correct me if I'm wrong. What I do see are a number of complaints about coaching hires, poor trades where we get little value in return, not using cap space, and what appears to be an aversion to the defensive players/help needed to win.

You're smart. You follow the team. I find it a little disingenuous for you to imply it all boils down to his draft record over the past four years, while not mentioning anything else and therefor saying he's a keeper. That's like looking at the Ron Artest of 5 years ago, singling out his defensive impact and saying therefor he's a keeper, who wouldn't want him? Well, when you cherry pick like that, you can make anyone look good.

And sure you can sit there and say the Maloofs have the final say on moves. But who brings those proposals to the Maloofs desk? And of course there have been positives from Petrie, and finding a replacement is risky, and we don't really know how well a replacement would do or who's available, nor do we know how much the cash strapped Maloofs would open their wallets for a replacement. But none of that means there aren't things to criticize Petrie about over the last few years. There's probably a little truth to our FO being considered a joke among some, and ancient by others. Should have kept Levin.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
GM should perhaps stand for Grand Magician instead of General Manager. I'm curious. How many other GMs are there in this league who have done better during their entire career than Petrie? There may be some but they don't grow on trees and the good ones don't move.

GM should perhaps stand for Grand Magician instead of General Manager. I'm curious. How many other GMs are there in this league who have done better during their entire career than Petrie? There may be some but they don't grow on trees and the good ones don't move.
generally, my thoughts as well. Ok so we go out and replace Petrie, with who??? its gonna end up IDENTICAL to our coaching search, we'll go through numerous guys w/ little to no experience b/c the maloofs like em and most likely it will take a long time before someone works out. I mean, just look at portland.

Petrie does seem to have some flaws blah blah, but keep in mind, we're in small market Sacramento. Its just not as easy as it is in some other locations to pull off great FA signings and trades. And i cant say i'm 100% satisfied with Petrie in every aspect, but i think it would be very negative for the organization to lose him for his drafting eye. Not every pick has been golden (Douby) but he generally has done a great job with picking the right guys with wherever our ping pong ball lands.

P.S. Did anyone else want Quincy Douby to get really good so they could have a jersey that said "DOUBY" on the back of it? Damn shame that fella never made it

Longest current playoff dought in the NBA!

Who cares what he did over a decade ago. He is not getting the job down now. Its not like its a knee jerk reaction either, it is the greatest streak of ineptitude in the business today and over a long period of time. He doesnt need to be a magician but at the very least could we have the GM who is not doing the worst job in the league.

I think he's had a great career but frankly I dont care what he accomplished 1o-15 years ago. What has he done lately and what is he doing now is whats important to me as a kings fan. And frankly there have been too many missteps the last 5 years, especially the last year to make me confident in extending him any longer than his current deal. If you honestly think hes done a better job over the last decade than many gms out there, i dont know what to tell you.

I will always appreciate the things he did with the kings team in the late 90s early 00's but I want that again and if he can't do it, I'm willing to give someone else a shot.

Longest current playoff dought in the NBA!

Who cares what he did over a decade ago. He is not getting the job down now. Its not like its a knee jerk reaction either, it is the greatest streak of ineptitude in the business today and over a long period of time. He doesnt need to be a magician but at the very least could we have the GM who is not doing the worst job in the league.
I agree with all of this. Petrie is getting a free pass based on a team he put together a decade ago. This team being a perennial lottery team says it all. Guys, it takes more than draft acumen to put together a good team. Petrie may have been good in the past, but he's much older now, and has lost a step.

Just hope he returns to sign or trade for players who know how to play basketball and not just athletic guys who don't know anything but jump like Hickson and Outlaw.

Casspi and a pick for Hickson couldn't have possibly been a financial decision. We took back more money, and a much longer contract when we sent Udrih to Milwaukee for Salmons. We didn't need Outlaw when we signed him.
Mistake: acknowledged. Were you one who was calling bad move at the time? Is so, good on ya.

Anything else? (Other than obvious Outlaw/Dalembert mistakes.)

Since Portland has now been mentioned several times in this thread: I will gladly trade Petrie for any one of the GMs they had the last couple of years.

Since Portland has now been mentioned several times in this thread: I will gladly trade Petrie for any one of the GMs they had the last couple of years.
Are you kidding??? How could you have possibly drafted Oden over Durant??? Even when you KNEW he had had knee problems before the draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grass ain't always greener homie. Petrie had done that? NEVER would have heard the end of it... NEVER! Look at the crap he's getting now on a relatively small move like Outlaw.

Are you kidding??? How could you have possibly drafted Oden over Durant??? Even when you KNEW he had had knee problems before the draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grass ain't always greener homie. Petrie had done that? NEVER would have heard the end of it... NEVER! Look at the crap he's getting now on a relatively small move like Outlaw.

Anyone using Oden over Durant as a reason to complain doesn't know what they're talking about. Oden was set to be a dominant big man for years to come. The fact that he turned out to be injury prone doesn't change that, and certainly does not make the draft selection at the time a bad one.

If you have Brandon Roy (rookie of the year), the next year you have to draft Oden, not Durant. Be serious, please.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Anyone using Oden over Durant as a reason to complain doesn't know what they're talking about. Oden was set to be a dominant big man for years to come. The fact that he turned out to be injury prone doesn't change that, and certainly does not make the draft selection at the time a bad one.
I believe the point was that from the outside, we recognize that Oden over Durant was the right move, but that the second-guessing of Petrie by Kings fans has become so second nature, if not obligatory, that had it been his mistake and not Portland's the angst here over such a move would be epic.

Best drafter in the NBA.

Just wish he would have kept Dalembert, eventually I'll get over it. That's really my only complaint over the last few years. Now you can nitpick all you want about little mistakes, but that's a given in his profession. You take risks. Any GM who doesn't take risks doesn't win. Although, I probably would not have done the Outlaw move. I'm open to the Salmons thing working out though.

Also, although we'd like to be able to say some things are definitively his fault, we'll really never know about any limitations or influences the Maloofs had/put on him.
This doesn't excuse him but the devils in the details and what we don't know can change the story. While on one hand I'm not pleased with the moves of this past off-season, I am more afraid of who his replacement would be.

IMHO this is not a big thing either way (whether he extends or not). Why might one ask?
Because IMHO the FIRST issue the Kings need to sort is ownership, and once this will be checked, the next pieces will fall as a dominoe trail (GM, coaching staff etc.) anyhow, with Petrie or without him.

(And my list assumes that the arena deal is done!)

Just my two cents FWIW.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
IMHO this is not a big thing either way (whether he extends or not). Why might one ask?
Because IMHO the FIRST issue the Kings need to sort is ownership, and once this will be checked, the next pieces will fall as a dominoe trail (GM, coaching staff etc.) anyhow, with Petrie or without him.

(And my list assumes that the arena deal is done!)

Just my two cents FWIW.
I agree totally.

apart from the occasional flub, petrie's draft record has been pretty exceptional. that said, the kings have already acquired their young cornerstone pieces through the draft. we don't need petrie's drafting acumen at this stage of this current kings team's development. instead, we need petrie to reapply his nose for talent to the free agent pool and to the trading block, or we need a new gm. its that simple. if the kings are unable to acquire complementary talent for the blossoming stars on their roster, then this team will not win, those players will walk, and its straight back to the lottery for another 3-5 years. i'm no longer interested in the lottery. i'm no longer interested in petrie's ability to make the most out of high draft picks, because he's done it. we're good to go on that front. i'd rather he was hunting around for late first round steals because the kings made it back to the playoffs, and in order for the kings to get back to the playoffs, they have to make the most of their signing and trading possibilities. john salmons, jj hickson, travis outlaw, and chuck hayes just aren't cutting it. petrie got thornton right, though. that was a stellar move. so he's capable. we know he can still do it. its time for him to do it some more...

This. Plus, he was dominant as hell in the games he actually played in. There's no doubt he'd be better than Howard by now if he had stayed healthy

If this is the only important part of the job (or the only part that you care about), then they should just promote Scotty Sterling to President of Basketball Operations.
It isn't the only important part of the job, but i'd wager it's far more important than FA or trades for a small market team like Sacto.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It isn't the only important part of the job, but i'd wager it's far more important than FA or trades for a small market team like Sacto.
This sort of position is too similar to Reynolds' attitude towards shot blockers for my taste: it's only overrated if you're not any good at it.

Hansel
If you have Brandon Roy (rookie of the year), the next year you have to draft Oden, not Durant. Be serious, please.
This is exactly what I'm saying... Oden was the correct choice. But if Petrie had done that, we'd never hear the end of it, and it would be the kindling for "Fire Petrie" threads for years...

im pretty sure Doc Rivers came out and said that if they had the 1st overall pick, the C's were definitely going with Durant, and they had Pierce at the time. Obviously its easy to say that now, but still. I think one of the rules of drafting is that you have to take the best talent available, not necessarily the best fit.

IMO, let Petrie linger around a bit longer and then we'll assess. We've got a new arena, the owners SAY theyre going to spend, so if he cant do anything with that, then let him walk. But for now i just dont know who would be better, especially considering that our owners have a tendency to hire the cheapest options available.

Last edited:
im pretty sure Doc Rivers came out and said that if they had the 1st overall pick, the C's were definitely going with Durant, and they had Pierce at the time. Obviously its easy to say that now, but still. I think one of the rules of drafting is that you have to take the best talent available, not necessarily the best fit.

IMO, let Petrie linger around a bit longer and then we'll assess. We've got a new arena, the owners SAY theyre going to spend, so if he cant do anything with that, then let him walk. But for now i just dont know who would be better, especially considering that our owners have a tendency to hire the cheapest options available.
The only person I'd replace Petrie with, at the risk of looking like a groupie, is Brick. Not even kidding. If the Maloofs would hire him, I'd be all for it. Seriously, why the **** not?