NOW I'm worried!!

VF21 said:
That, in and of itself, is good. Unfortunately, the series against Minnesota went 7 games. Had Pedja performed as well in games 4, 5, 6 and 7 as he did game 3, we'd be looking at new banners in Arco.
What banner? Western Conference Champions at best, I don't know how they would have done against the Pistons...

But back to the thread. 6th was right, it is all about attitude. But while it was still preseason, you'd like to see a little tougher attitude from the TEAM in their last preseason game to maybe get some MOMENTUM for the Texas Triangle. All this talk about the team "turning on a switch" makes me think im in Lakersground two years ago.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
sloter said:
Slim, that was the first time Pedja ever really got to be the man and I think that he has improved a bit in the meantime. He's still pretty far from being clutch, but going from chucking an airball in the final seconds against LA to some unbelievable shots in Game 3 against Minny to keep us in the game is a pretty good improvment, I'd say. He's matured and has a lot more experience. His best is yet to come, too.

Besides, pretty much every King except for Jimmy Jackson had a pretty horrible series in the 2002 series against the Mavs.
Fair enough. And maybe we won't find out whether or not Stojakovic can be "the man" in the playoffs until either he or Webber is traded. But, if it's all the same to you, I'd rather not have to resort to that.

piksi

Hall of Famer
LPKingsFan said:
What banner? Western Conference Champions at best, I don't know how they would have done against the Pistons...

But back to the thread. 6th was right, it is all about attitude. But while it was still preseason, you'd like to see a little tougher attitude from the TEAM in their last preseason game to maybe get some MOMENTUM for the Texas Triangle. All this talk about the team "turning on a switch" makes me think im in Lakersground two years ago.
We have not lost to Pistons in a while. They can not play zone against us. It would have been different match up.

Once again I want to point out my concern over Kevin Martin. From the sight last night he is too weak for the NBA. Mentally, he look lost and uninterested at times too. I must say our hope on him maybe too high. He still need A LOT OF TIME to develop into a NBA player.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Since93 said:
Once again I want to point out my concern over Kevin Martin. From the sight last night he is too weak for the NBA. Mentally, he look lost and uninterested at times too. I must say our hope on him maybe too high. He still need A LOT OF TIME to develop into a NBA player.
He's a rook. Going to have his ups and downs. He is NOT ready to start yet. But he's got the skills to be a good player. Absolutely must hit the weight room though.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Maybe Christie is more an integral part of the "core" than we realize. Plus no CWebb last night could upset the "core" beginning to work together. We need that before Coach can begin to set a rotation. And OTag is not able to come off the bench. so a lot is missing and the core is taking longer to get together due to the high number of rookies and FA's still being looked at.

I'm still worried. But as an optimist I realize the China trip cost everyone a week and a half of development time. But at the end of preseason in the past 4-5 years we saw the "core" and the primary rotation getting it on and establishing themselves as a force. Now there are 4-5 new forces in the west all very athletic, run and shoot and relatively young and they are showing up the Kings. Thats all. Womb and Doom? no. Just worried that they are not getting on the same page yet.

Tuesday will give us a look into the "core".

Dont use back to back games as an excuse thats silly.
They arent the only team to have back to back games this preseason and some of those teams won both of them.This is preseason if they are already tired, this is going to be a long season for them indeed.
So is that going to be the excuse when regular season starts and they have back to back games and lose.I like the Kings, always have I live in KC for god sakes but they lost the number one leader on their team,Vladi.Kings will miss him greatley. Now that Vladi is gone who is gonna lead?

:confused:

Bricklayer said:
He's a rook. Going to have his ups and downs. He is NOT ready to start yet. But he's got the skills to be a good player. Absolutely must hit the weight room though.
I have to agree there, there will be alot of rookie mistakes that he will learn from...Doug Christie was around 185lbs when he was drafted too, if I remember right, so bulking up takes a bit of time, hopefully not THAT long, though, but it does take time...I think that being around guys like Bobby and Doug and catching on to their training methods and offseason regiments can only be a positive.

Circa_1985_Fan said:
I have to agree there, there will be alot of rookie mistakes that he will learn from...Doug Christie was around 185lbs when he was drafted too, if I remember right,
And he was irritatingly inconsistent.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Insomniacal Fan said:
I see our position this year similar to what the jazz were in the later Stockton-Malone era. A definite playoff threat, though not favorites by any measure.
No real comparison just because the Jazz rather abruptly went from great Finals teams in 96-97 and 97-98 to also rans/non-threats in 99 onward (in 99 they were still considered a threat going into the playoffs based on their two great Finals appearances, but we exposed them early in the playoffs and they went meekly).

We are somewhere in between those two levels, and have a lot more solid base than the Jazz did. For them their key guys just got old and they were unable to replace them. A downside of building around legendary players is how do you repalce them? Can't really. But we are different. Lots of good players. A couple of great ones. But no legendary guys who are completely irreplaceable. One of our key guys started getting decrepit, we just smoothly swapped him out. 3/5 of our starting lineup is under 30 (and All-Star candidates all). Only 1 of them is nearing the end. Just a much different situation than the Jazz. We could still slip, but we aren't locked into the slip. And they are no other obvious dynasties out there in the way to shove us aside. One among relative equals.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
No real comparison just because the Jazz rather abruptly went from great Finals teams in 96-97 and 97-98 to also rans/non-threats in 99 onward (in 99 they were still considered a threat going into the playoffs based on their two great Finals appearances, but we exposed them early in the playoffs and they went meekly).
Perhaps we're simply waiting to be exposed ;)
You have a point, we are younger than the Jazz were in '99, and we have some good players all around that are still young.

But I don't see us as having nearly the upside as we did a couple seasons back (In the good 'ol days), and with the possible exception of Shaq's exodus, the West has gotten better; the sun is rising on Phoenix, Houston, and the Spurs somehow manage to continue signing more talented people, and the Mavericks boat is still afloat, (though, I suspect they too are on their way down)

Minnesota is still Minnesota.

None of these teams are clearly a level above us, and I have little doubt we'll make the playoffs. But it remains to be seen how much of a contender we'll be. It's more ambiguous this year than last. (And a lot more than 2 years ago.)

sloter said:
True. The Kings never really focused the offense entirely around Pedja, yet the opponents defenses focus ALL the attention on him. And he STILL produces.
this goes a bit far. Its true, that teams NEVER leave him alone any more. But, unfortunately its been fairly conclusively shown that it only takes ONE defender for peja. It has to be a dedicated defender, who is thus unavailable for help defense elsewhere, but still just one guy.

San Antonio is the favorite in the west,then comes T-Wolves.
Hate to tell you this but Lakers without Shaq are still better than the Kings.
Lakers have arguably the best player in the game,and 30 gm's agree he is by far the best at his position.Lakers also except for Malone if he comes back and Vladi (the KINGS best hands by far),have a much younger more talented team than the Kings.You better hope the Kings have a good season,cause they need an arena and if you dont get them one they might leave.Dont forget Kansas City is building a state of the art arena by early 2007,same peeps who built Staples.
I dont think your old BARN is going to keep the Kings there.
I also think you are discounting that Vladi is Pejas best friend and Webber in his infinite
stupidity talked smack on Peja.If Webber would have stayed on the pine last year I believe the Kings would have went farther in the playoffs then they did.Dont get me wrong Kings are still gonna be fun to watch I hope they do well,I also hope the Kings can find a way to unload Webber on someone but I dont think even Sterling is that dumb.

Last edited:
Since93 said:
I wouldn't trip, he had 2 bad games (in his words, the worst of his life) He has nothing but time to develop, the man is all of 21 years old, he'll be learning from a man who is just about a perfect player for Kevin to emulate in Doug Christie. Right now, he seems a little over-concerned with 'fitting in' Once he forgets that and just plays, he will be fine. He has a beautiful mid-range game which he has, thus far, not shown at all.

jahhluv said:
Lakers have arguably the best player in the game,and 30 gm's agree he is by far the best at his position.Lakers also except for Malone if he comes back and Vladi (the KINGS best hands by far),have a much younger more talented team than the Kings.You better hope the Kings have a good season,cause they need an arena and if you dont get them one they might leave.Dont forget Kansas City is building a state of the art arena by early 2007,same peeps who built Staples.
I also think you are discounting that Vladi is Pejas best friend and Webber in his infinite
stupidity talked smack on Peja.If Webber would have stayed on the pine last year I believe the Kings would have went farther in the playoffs then they did.Dont get me wrong Kings are still gonna be fun to watch I hope they do well,I also hope the Kings can find a way to unload Webber on someone but I dont think even Sterling is that dumb.
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why you keep on spelling Vlade's name with an "i"?

I will be the first to say that the Kings have not played anywhere near where any fan would want them to this preseason, but I'm still not worried. Last year the end of the season was a disaster. We watched the Kings throw away the best record in the west and a division title in the last four games to get into a series with a team that had beat them 3 of 4 times during the reugular season. I thought all was lost at that point and we would be back home in a few days wondering how we could go from so good to so bad in such a short time. But this team (more or less) didn't go down. True they didn't win it all or even get as far as anyone wanted them to, but I thought it was over before it started and these same Kings came out and played "playoff" basketball. They took it to the Mavericks in a style I hadn't seen from them ever during the season. The scores came down and the grit came up. Then in the Minnesota series that same grit came out. I didn't think they had any chance at all against Minnesota the way they were playing. Yes they struggled as a team, and I was terribly dissapointed that they lost, but they were never out of it, even with their hobbled (mentally or physically) stars. I wouldn't be hasty to worry about a team like this. They have their issues and thier questions, but (for me at least) worrying isn't an option yet. I think the only thing to worry about with this team currently is health. If healthy this team has to be in the top three in the Western Conference.

I think if you are worried now, at this stage of the game, then you just aren't looking at the big picture. Nothing is every the same as it is in the preseason, and that goes both ways.

The Kings are who they are; a mosaic of talents and characters. They are a team that features at least 3 All-star candidates in their starting 5, two other players that aren't too shabby themselves, the best stating guard not in a starting lineup and a mix of solid reserves and exuberant rookies to round out the bench. They can score with the best of them, put on a passing clinic and even play a little defense (when they want to). They are a team capable of winning. As a fan, that's all I can ask for.

I'm going have to steal a line from the folks on the Kings post game show and say that the Kings are just so easy to pick on. Pundits don't know what to make of them, so they put them down. Its crazy to think that this team won't be good and its even crazier to start searching for the panic button

....IMHO

Edit part II:

As far as a defense goes, I subscribe to the theory that defense is 90% effort, you have to want to play it. Right now, the team is just trying to get through the preseaon with out any injuries. I was a little miffed at the team for Friday nights game, but upon further review one has to realize what is going on.

This year, more than any other year I think Kings fans have to patient. Sit back, relax and eat some popcorn!

Last edited:
allrightythen said:
I will be the first to say that the Kings have not played anywhere near where any fan would want them to this .
that is a very honest assessment. i love them, really do, but they didn't look like a championship team out there.
i am hoping for a good game soon. i've been waiting to cheer them on. give me something to cheer about.

R

R1LOVER

To me they look like shiat, don't get me wrong I love them all...........

The only thing that keeps me positive so far is the last few years we have looked good and gone to shiat,..............

maybe this year we will look bad a the begining and then turn to gold and go all the way?????????????????????

R1LOVER said:
To me they look like shiat, don't get me wrong I love them all...........

The only thing that keeps me positive so far is the last few years we have looked good and gone to shiat,..............

maybe this year we will look bad a the begining and then turn to gold and go all the way?????????????????????
i love your logic.......

jahhluv said:
More talent?

C-Vlade C-Brad Miller Talent Advantage KINGS
PF - Grant PF-Chris Webber Talent Advantage KINGS
SF - Odom SF - Peja Talent Advantage KINGS
SG - Kobe SG - Christie Talent Advantage Lakers
PG - Atkins PG - Bibby Talent Advatange KINGS

jahhluv said:
This is some really funny stuff. There is really not much happening at the moment. So keep coming with your hilarious posts.

bibbyweb said:
This is some really funny stuff. There is really not much happening at the moment. So keep coming with your hilarious posts.
sometimes you have to think, was that person a kings fan who can't get over the fact that Vlade is no longer with the Kings or is it a Vlade fan trying rub it in that we lost something which they hold high in their regard.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
HndsmCelt said:
I think the Moniker Jahhluv says it all. Some one in all their luv of Jah has jsut smoked a little too much sacramental ganja.
Um, what?

Is this like me thinking Special K was simply a breakfast cereal?