NOW I'm worried!!

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
NOW I'm (not so) worried....

Both teams shot same amount of field goals.
Suns get 58 rebounds, Kings get 26.
(Mavs 42 Kings 28 last game)
Early in 2nd quarter Kings 26 Suns 25.
One and a half minutes later Suns 37 Kings 26
At half Suns 74 Kings 46
Points in the paint Suns 44 Kings 32
(Mavs 52 Kings 28 last game)

Opponents last 2 games shoot 54% Kings barely 40%+

Last edited:
CruzDude said:
One and a half minutes later Suns 27 Kings 26
At half Suns 74 Kings 46

This is the last game of preseason. The prelude to the real season. I'm worried now for the first time in 5 years. Nothing is going very well and I'm one of the biggest optimists around.

And on a parting shot, it seems that Ford, Minnard and Blumenthal may be gone. :(
i agree totally with you there... and i hate it when ppl use excuses like starters playing less time than the opponents starters, cuz there is no excuse for this loss... sure webber isnt there but he will not be there for ther full 82 upcoming games... if we cant win without a few of main players its gonna b a long season...

Last edited:
CruzDude said:
One and a half minutes later Suns 27 Kings 26
At half Suns 74 Kings 46

This is the last game of preseason. The prelude to the real season. I'm worried now for the first time in 5 years. Nothing is going very well and I'm one of the biggest optimists around.

And on a parting shot, it seems that Ford, Minnard and Blumenthal may be gone. :(
There is definitely a lot to worry about the way they have been playing the last few games.

I agree.. Nothing goes quite right to start this season. Webber's comment, Vlade gone, Peja demanding a trade, Doug and Tag's injury, horrible preseason... the list goes on.

This is the first time in my memory not feeling good to start the season. BUT SO WHAT??? Looks what past 5 season ends up with--same results. I start to believe 'feeling good' has nothing to do with winning it all. I learn the lesson of this year's Red Sox. They look horrible until game 4 in the ALCS (at least for that series, ok?)...

I believe our guys have that ability too. Just don't give up. Good things will happen..

GO KINGS!!! THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!

I still am not totally worried, I mean we're not THIS bad on the offensive end of the floor, and I still dont think our heads are out of our asses yet, even though this was the last game of the preseason. I still am prepared for a 2-4 start to the regular season, too...wont be shocked and wont panic by any means, I think that when we get totally healthy, and I think we will, things will be alot different...like our effort.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well, just reading Adelman's quotes about the last few games you can tell he's not happy with where they are. Its still just minimally predictive of the regular season, but it is important the guys actually realize that.

Two things:

1) I was not a huge fan of Webb coming out and giving that interview this summer. But regardless of your feelings about the messenger, he WAS right about the message. The team has been a little soft. Needed to be tougher. Needed an edge if it was ever going to get over the top. Well, we've just kind of coasted through the preseason, but now the real games start. It is time for Webb to really put his money where his mouth is, step up, and be the inspirational leader for this team. If he wants it, if he's hungry and leads the team on the floor, the rest will follow. Peja had a hot shooting night last night. It didn't matter. Shooting is fun, but its not enough unless the whole of the team is busting its ***. Webb wants this team to be tough, well now's the time to kick it into gear.

2) The hyper-focus on the postseason may not be entirely healthy at some point here. The preseason is just that -- the preseason. Victories are unimportant. But properly preparing for the regular season IS important. At the point that "all that matters is how we do in the playoffs" becomes an excuse not to put forth effort during the rest of the season its gone too far. Generally at the point that teams decide they can just "turn it on" whenever they want to, they are past their prime and will eventually be overcome by a hungrier opponent. There has to be a collective will to go out and kick butt here again, ALL of the time. Not whenever we decide we care enough to bother.

Last edited:
Still doesn't worry me. I don't know if anyone realized this but the Kings did play in Dallas(about a 3 hour plane flight and 2 hour time difference) the night before. Even with the starters not playing more than about 25 minutes on Thursday it's still a hellacious travel day. This pre-season schedule has been ridiculous and I can't believe the NBA made them play a back to back game in Dallas and then at home............and then have them fly back to Dallas for the season opener. I agree with waiting a few weeks into the season and then we can start worrying.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I'll tell you what. It is all about attitude. There are 82 games to go before the real season even starts. Yes, we want to see them playing with some fire and hunger to win. But, I have not, and will not, judge anything about our chances for a championship by how they play in preseason (a time when our starters get less than normal minutes and the coaches are taking a good look to decide which players will make the squad).

So, I say again, it is all about attitude. If you want to believe that the Kings' season is doomed...go right ahead...be my guest. I will not spend my season in a dark funk and miss out on enjoying some entertaining Kings basketball. Talk to me again in March 2005 about the Kings chances.

Even if the Kings win 52 games, that means they will lose 30 of them. If I worry about every single game, I will ruin my own enjoyment. And, that just isn't going to happen. :)

well, i spent all night last night figuring out if i am worried yet, and my decision was:
not yet.
sure, there are things that don't look pretty right now, but it's too early to say anything yet, right?
if i didn't watch the game last night and only looked at the numbers i'd be more worried,
but i did watch the game, and the downfall came during the second quarter when the starters sat down and the new guys came on. it appears to me that, they never really fought to regain the lead.
so if it was a regular season and winning and losing is at stake, i suppose adelman would change the strategy sometime over halftime and the suns would never have led by that much.
with all that said, it's really too early to say anything.
i agree with 6th. i love the kings. i want to enjoy the game without that dark cloud hanging over my head.

I must admit I am someowhat out of the loop with the whole preseason thing. I 've been away for 2 weeks and haven't been following anything.... Just caught the score of last night's game vs. PHO and was kind of shocked to see that Kings got their a** kicked at home.
But it is pre season and they have never really played with full force in preseason. I am looking forward to the start.....

GO KINGS!

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I guess I worried also about the lack of a team leader. CWebb blabbed about taking that role this summer but is there any evidence he is actually taking a leadership role? For 5 years Vlade was the King of the locker room and the players bench and the leader by encouragement and cajoling and pulling the guys together. CWebb seems to want to be the leader by pushing the guys to some unknown intensity. Big difference.

The first quarter last night wasn't bad and they did catch up for a minute. Then suddenly the Suns hit 3 three's in a row, a free throw and two and voila, up by 12. Then the free agents never seemed to get together as a team. They showed individual ability and some athleticism. But then neither did the "core" work much as a team. Something is missing. Spirit? Enthusiasm? Interest? Teamwork? What?

Christie was also a floor leader, the front guy on defense, the enthusiasm and work ethic. He hasn't been there. Vlade is gone. CWebb has not shown team leadership abilities, yet. But something is needed. Adelman is right in saying he doesn't know whats wrong. I'll bet Petrie may have a clue. But you can't pick up a leader of the free agent wire now can you?

I'm worried but not in a panic mode. Lets see how they come together on the first 3 games on the road. That could be the first real indication of their new personality.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Leadership = maybe. Its hard to tell in preseason. I can't recall ever having seen anybody say "come on let's go" before the season even started. But there is definitely a bit of a disorganized feeling to the effort so far.

At this point they should be at least be playing together. But right now, whether it be the China trip, the injuries, the long extended FA/rookie tryouts, or even the dreaded chemistry issue, they just aren't. Just seems like everybody has been playing at different speeds and kind of in their own little box. Its very scattered. One guy will be trying, 4 others won't. Or three guys start clicking at a time, and then the other two start pressing and mess it up. People are either doing their own thing and not worrying about anybody else, or they're not doing anything at all, or they're trying to singlehandedly do it all themselves.

Could very well mean nothing -- its preseason. The nature of preseason is that people are getting up to speed, everyone and every team is working on different things. Victory is irrelevant. But until I see everybody on the same court pulling in the same direction at the same time, I'm going to be a little nervous. Talent alone isn't enough. Nor even is individual effort (although you need that). You can only win if everybody shares a common purpose. Settling down into a normal regular season rotation can only help.

P.S. What I would like to see is Webb and Brad unite together and decide to just dominate the glass/interior. They are the two guys who could really form the backbone for this team. Two Top ten rebounders, twin All-Star caliber multi-talented big men. Could be an inspirational frontline. If they are united.

Last edited:
Lamar_Odom said:
I love Brick's confidence.

One question: Is it me or does Peja shine when he knows he's the man?
peja shines when he knows he's the man :)

i agree with brick on many issues though. if brad and c-webb unite, that's a scary picture. it may free up either bibby or peja on the outside
along with mikey and doug, and bobby jackson ready to fill in anytime, i don't see how this can't be a championship team.
but they need to work TOGETHER! i remember the first kings game i ever watched, and i was blown away but how team-oriented they were. there's no superstar, you see the team as a whole. i do miss that and hope they get that back soon.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Lamar_Odom said:
I love Brick's confidence.

It's you.

Pedja is finally getting his stroke back after an off-season literally OFF as far as any basketball is concerned. That's why we have him.

As far as leadership is concerned, Mike Bibby actually took the role of floor general for a while last night, barking orders and comments at other players, the refs, etc. It was interesting to watch...

Webber wasn't on the court in the first half. In the second, he was an integral part of the huddles, making comments, etc.

As far as Adelman's comments go, he was frustrated to be sure - and Koz and Coach T were talking about it. They both said they were glad to see Adelman voice frustration over lackluster performance...and they think he (RA) is putting the onus on ALL the vets to get it together and get the job done.

I am not worried. I am, truth be told, actually thinking the team is heading in the right direction. I'd just as soon they got the frustration and crappy play out of the way early...

This game with the suns was definitely a blow out (but its not as if the Kings have never lossed badly before), but as to the other preseason games I dont consider them big losses. Things always seemed to go wrong when Adelman started messing with the rotations, and that wont be happening come the start of the season. As far as our bad interior play I think Ostertag will help in that regard. No doubt in my mind though that there will be more close games this season, the league is just tougher. Thankfully our division isnt stacked with play-off caliber teams.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Lamar_Odom said:
Maybe in the regular season: during the 2003 WCSF against the Mavericks (after Webber went down with an injury in Game 2), in the one playoff series in which Stojakovic has unquestionably been "the man," he averaged 22.8 points on 39.8% shooting from the field, and 37.9% shooting from the three-point line. Very good numbers from your number-two guy, but not really "the man"-type numbers...

And even those numbers are skewed by his brilliant shooting performance in Game 3... Over the last four games of the series, Stojakovic, as "the man," averaged a mere 18.75 points per game, on 36.8% shooting from the field, and 28.6% shooting from three-point range.

"Shine," obviously, is a relative term...

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
VF21 said:
I am not worried. I am, truth be told, actually thinking the team is heading in the right direction. I'd just as soon they got the frustration and crappy play out of the way early...
With any luck, it's all out of their system, and they'll start the season with a sweep of the Texas Triangle... I mean, it's not as if they've never done it before...

peja shines when he knows he's the man
It is indeed good to see Peja regain his shooting touch a bit. He looked like he had taken the whole off-season off (as he had) in earlier games. I'm hoping the summer of 'rest' (if you can call having a child much rest, thankfully HE wasn't the one who had to give birth:D Just having a new baby in the house for the first time ever can be, how do you say.....NOT restful) will pay off in the play offs. Hopefully, Peja will remember in April, May and June that he is, indeed, the man. (along with the rest of his team-mates)

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Maybe in the regular season: during the 2003 WCSF against the Mavericks (after Webber went down with an injury in Game 2), in the one playoff series in which Stojakovic has unquestionably been "the man," he averaged 22.8 points on 39.8% shooting from the field, and 37.9% shooting from the three-point line. Very good numbers from your number-two guy, but not really "the man"-type numbers...

And even those numbers are skewed by his brilliant shooting performance in Game 3... Over the last four games of the series, Stojakovic, as "the man," averaged a mere 18.75 points per game, on 36.8% shooting from the field, and 28.6% shooting from three-point range.

"Shine," obviously, is a relative term...
i must defend my boy. peja hasn't really been treated as the "#1 man" until later last season, when webber went out. he was able the get more shots and screen was set up for him more, and hence those good numbers.
if you look at all the other "#1 men", they always get the ball, always are the center of offense. peja is on the court quite a lot, but they never really focused the offense entirely on him, like the other "#1 man".
not to say that's a bad thing. when you have webber, bibby and christie, it's better to play as a team. i am just saying it's not fair to judge his performances and say he doesn't measure up when he's not given the fair chance, and treated as the other "#1 man".

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The time period after Webber went down is the time period that I'm speaking of; I'm simply disregarding his regular season numbers because all that matters to me is what he's done in the postseason when he's been "the man." After Webber got injured in the 2002 WCSF, Stojakovic led the team in shot attempts for the remainder of the series. That makes him "the man." And as "the man," when it counted, he was unimpressive. In what sense is that assesment "unfair?"

i am not trying to start an arguement. (that would make me a laker's fan) just saying i have not seen peja been treated as kevin garnett, kobe bryant, or any of those so called "the man".
it wouldn't work for the kings anyway. they are more team-oriented. just saying it's much easier to assign blame and make someone responsible for not getting the ring. i don't think it was fair to make peja responsible in this case.

Slim, that was the first time Pedja ever really got to be the man and I think that he has improved a bit in the meantime. He's still pretty far from being clutch, but going from chucking an airball in the final seconds against LA to some unbelievable shots in Game 3 against Minny to keep us in the game is a pretty good improvment, I'd say. He's matured and has a lot more experience. His best is yet to come, too.

Besides, pretty much every King except for Jimmy Jackson had a pretty horrible series in the 2002 series against the Mavs.

fakie said:
i must defend my boy. peja hasn't really been treated as the "#1 man" until later last season, when webber went out. he was able the get more shots and screen was set up for him more, and hence those good numbers.
if you look at all the other "#1 men", they always get the ball, always are the center of offense. peja is on the court quite a lot, but they never really focused the offense entirely on him, like the other "#1 man".
not to say that's a bad thing. when you have webber, bibby and christie, it's better to play as a team. i am just saying it's not fair to judge his performances and say he doesn't measure up when he's not given the fair chance, and treated as the other "#1 man".
True. The Kings never really focused the offense entirely around Pedja, yet the opponents defenses focus ALL the attention on him. And he STILL produces.

The problem, as I see it, with Peja being 'The Man' (aside from the obvious, the Kings are team oriented etc.) is that his style of play is not conducive to the slowed down tempo of the game in the play offs. Peja gets his looks because he moves CONSTANTLY off the ball. This works admirably in the regular season (up until right around the all-star break, when the refs decide to start calling games 'like the play offs') Unfortunately, when they stop calling the holding, grabbing, impeding the cutter fouls, Peja has a much tougher time getting the quality of look that he gets during the season. His shots tend to be more rushed.

Good points, Kingsgurl. He often looks tired in the playoffs for the same reason.
As a matter of fact, that might be the key to Kings success in the playoffs - getting Pedja easier looks.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
sloter said:
Slim, that was the first time Pedja ever really got to be the man and I think that he has improved a bit in the meantime. He's still pretty far from being clutch, but going from chucking an airball in the final seconds against LA to some unbelievable shots in Game 3 against Minny to keep us in the game is a pretty good improvment, I'd say. .
That, in and of itself, is good. Unfortunately, the series against Minnesota went 7 games. Had Pedja performed as well in games 4, 5, 6 and 7 as he did game 3, we'd be looking at new banners in Arco.