Norv Turner: 49ers Offensive Coordinator

Turner Joins 49ers Coaching Staff
Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The San Francisco 49ers will announce the addition of Norv Turner to head coach Mike Nolan’s coaching staff as offensive coordinator at a 2pm PST Tuesday press conference. The team agreed to a contract late Monday night.

Turner, who has more than 20 years of pro coaching experience, including nine as a head coach and six as an offensive coordinator, most recently served as head coach of the Oakland Raiders in 2004 and 2005. Nolan served as defensive coordinator under Turner during three seasons (1997-1999) with the Washington Redskins when Turner served as head coach.

“Norv has a tremendous track record of developing offensive players," said Nolan of the hiring. "He has experienced success and coached some of the game’s best players. He has solid teaching principles and will be a perfect fit for the 49ers as we move forward with our program.”

Turner, a native Bay Area resident who grew up in the community of Martinez, has been regarded as one of the NFL’s finest offensive coaches in his role as offensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys, San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins.

In addition to serving as head coach of the Raiders, Turner was head coach of the Washington Redskins from 1994 through 2000. He directed the Redskins to four winning campaigns, including the 1999 season when he led the Redskins to the NFC Eastern Division title. That season, Turner’s offense

I'm not really sure how I feel about this hire. On one hand, it's not like he's the head coach, so no worries there (Norv joins Mike Martz and Buddy Ryan in the Great Coordinator/Lousy Coach HOF) but I'm not sure if it really will make any difference if our offense doesn't get a MAJOR infusion of talent in the offseason.

^^^I wouldn't say that just yet. Kevan Barlow and Frank Gore can potentially be really good RBs (money's on Gore here). Alex Smith wasn't a no 1 for nothing (granted, not exactly a great no 1 as far as they go, but he's good). Eric Johnson will be back, who showed last year that he can play among the elite TEs of the league (a miserable team performance and diminished performance down the stretch took him out of the conversation, but he is very good) Brandon Lloyd has shown flashes of greatness, Arnaz Battle has looked solid and Johnny Morton can be a decent no 3. The O-line never played together healthy last year, so a clean bill of health=automatic upgrade. In last years draft the organization got a lot of talent from every round, and I expect we'll get a good WR somehow to add to the mix. Nowhere near a great offense right now, but the building blocks are there. If Norv gets his act together, this team could actually threaten to score one, maybe even two touchdowns some games. Then again, look how the Raiders fared last year with an immensely more talented offensive team.

O

ONEZERO

I Would Say That Barlows Done And Gore And Hicks Take Over... The Offense Will Be Good Next Year...i'd Say We Can Average About 14-17 Points A Game And With Our Defense As Good As It Could Be It Can Get Points Off Turnovers... Then Again Its The Offense That Will Allow The Defense To Play Better If They Can Move The Ball.. So Com On Offense And Com On Turner

Mike Nolan ws defensive coordinator for the Redskins at one point (he sucked in that role, by the way)

and I believe it was back in the days that Norv was the redskin's head coach.

interesting flip in dynamics. We know that Norv can be good as a coordinator, but not as a head coach, perhaps Nolan is the exact opposite.

Are the 49-ers living in a bizzaro universe? Down is up, up is down. These colors smell peculiar. Doesn't that rose sound beautiful?

Actually, Herm Edwards was hired by the Chiefs. Also, a lot of the new head coaching hires were not retreads, they are first-time head coaches.

I wouldn't really think too much of it for this one year, although if it continues and the number of black coaches actually starts declining then it would be worth them looking into doing something more about it.