NFL 2023-2024 Thread

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I am so happy for Lance right now.
Kid’s still younger than a lot of the rookie QBs that came out of this year’s draft. I still believe that he’s going to be a really good quarterback. It just probably won’t be in San Francisco given the window of contention being tighter Than Trey probably needs for his development.

Trey's arm is really good and his accuracy isn't bad but his decision making is just too slow. It really is the difference in noodle arm QBs like Jimmy G and Brock winning nearly every game and the team playing .500 ball with Trey. That second or two of indecisiveness can be the difference in being a top QB and a backup.

I will say that he was really fun to watch in the 4th. The game was just your average run of the mill barely even worth watching preseason game with Darnold in there and turned into something that was about as exciting as it gets for preseason when Lance got rolling.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Reports coming out that Darnold is QB2. Can’t say I’m too shocked at all. Trey just isn’t ready to lead a team whose window is NOW.

Kingz19

Hall of Famer
Not a shocker.

Lance simply isn’t very good. Everybody keeps trying to qualify his potential like one day he’s going to be a star QB, just not here….but i never saw it. Like, really? What did Lynch see?

I was disappointed when they traded the package they did for a QB that “needed to improve as a passer”…you don’t go all in for a QB that I you have to develop as a passer. How many QB’s that aren’t passers successfully become passers?

imagine my disappointment when i realized he doesn’t even have good instincts as a running QB either. Like he wasn’t ever going to a playmaker with his feet like Kaep was at his peak. Brock Purdy’s scrambles in his first start were more impressive and consequential than drawn up runs for Trey in all his appearances. He’s not that fast. Certainly not fast enough to make up for his poor reaction time

Just a bad deal. I’m over it. It didn’t kill the franchise. Just get what you can

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’ll forever be a little salty they didn’t take my guy in Fields, but whatever … it’s amazing this team is so talented they can take a failure like thag right in the face and still be a Super Bowl level team.

I’ll forever be a little salty they didn’t take my guy in Fields, but whatever … it’s amazing this team is so talented they can take a failure like thag right in the face and still be a Super Bowl level team.
The Shanny/Lynch draft strategy of being mostly absolute horsecrap with premium picks and god-tier drafting in the later rounds is just downright hilarious at this point. We can eat Lance being a bust because of Purdy coming out of nowhere to being a starting QB (we think..?)

Lynch coming out this morning and saying he is impressed with lance because the team didn't tailor the offense to what he is most comfortable with and he made the best of it was just shocking. These guys burned all those first round picks and didn't even give the kid the best opportunity to succeed. Straight out of the GM's mouth. My eyes had been telling me this all along. It was just good to hear it from the 49er F.O.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Lynch coming out this morning and saying he is impressed with lance because the team didn't tailor the offense to what he is most comfortable with and he made the best of it was just shocking. These guys burned all those first round picks and didn't even give the kid the best opportunity to succeed. Straight out of the GM's mouth. My eyes had been telling me this all along. It was just good to hear it from the 49er F.O.
They set him up last year, then he snapped his ankle, and they moved on. After Purdy happened they had no reason to cater to Trey’s game anymore.

They set him up last year, then he snapped his ankle, and they moved on. After Purdy happened they had no reason to cater to Trey’s game anymore.
You have to go back 30 years to find a 1st round QB who was dumped having only played 4 games or less. Im not questioning whether trey is good or not at this point. I want someone held accountable, considering Micah Parsons ended up going 12, the niners original draft position. Micah Parsons opposite of Bosa? OMG..........
Yeah, Kyle needs to be held accountable for drafting and then dumping a 3rd pick in the 1st round after only 4 games. He gave up a mint for the kid and now he should pay for this HUGE mistake with his job. I think Kyle has now shown on more than one occasion that he cannot evaluate the QB position.

You have to go back 30 years to find a 1st round QB who was dumped having only played 4 games or less. Im not questioning whether trey is good or not at this point. I want someone held accountable, considering Micah Parsons ended up going 12, the niners original draft position. Micah Parsons opposite of Bosa? OMG..........
Yeah, Kyle needs to be held accountable for drafting and then dumping a 3rd pick in the 1st round after only 4 games. He gave up a mint for the kid and now he should pay for this HUGE mistake with his job. I think Kyle has now shown on more than one occasion that he cannot evaluate the QB position.
Uhm. No.

Shanny is a top 5 coach in the NFL. The team has been to the NFC championship game 3 of the last 4 years. I think we had a real shot to go to the Super Bowl last year if our QB had an elbow to physically throw the ball. Do we really want to screw around with the Jim Tomsula/Chip Kelly's of the world again? Or how about our own Kings when between Adelman and now Brown, we had exactly ONE good head coach in 16 years...who we then fired for no damn reason.

The Shanny/Lynch has it's faults, absolutely. Their record with premium picks has been fairly atrocious. But when we have a healthy starting QB (Jimmy G, Purdy last year), we've been one of the 5 best teams in the NFL. And we're poised for another serious run this year.

The Purdy starts weren't just good, we were putting up historic levels of offensive scoring in that stretch. Really is hard to quantify how damn good he was last year, coming in mid-season, while being an after-thought in training camp/off-season. I don't think the question is if Purdy is a starting QB in the NFL, I think it's how high his ceiling is as a starter in the NFL.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Dak is absolutely the sort of QB Trey should be modeling himself on too. The Cowboys are unfortunately coached by Big Zaddy himself so that’s not great for Trey’s development.

This could bode well for Trey's career if Dak is able to light a fire beneath his ***. This could also bode well for my Cowboys if Trey is able to become the backup Cooper couldn't, and probably still can't. Also, don't mind giving up that 4th round pick.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Purdy starts weren't just good, we were putting up historic levels of offensive scoring in that stretch. Really is hard to quantify how damn good he was last year, coming in mid-season, while being an after-thought in training camp/off-season. I don't think the question is if Purdy is a starting QB in the NFL, I think it's how high his ceiling is as a starter in the NFL.
yeah the thing about the sheer narrative velocity of the Brock Purdy story is that he’s on track to either be the next Tom Brady/Kurt Warner/Tony Romo ultimate underdog who turns out to be a star or he’s gonna flame out spectacularly this season and be a one hit wonder. Without wanting to be “Brock is the next Tom Brady!!!” guy, everything about how the last two seasons has gone sorta points towards the first option rather than the spectacular collapse.

Last edited:
Damn, what a seriously incredible whirlwind for Lance. This time last year, we were all ready for him to be the dude, the whole team was handed over to him, we were going to boom, etc. Bout as bad a run-out as you could get with him since that point.

I think really shows we're fully all-in on Brock though. Much different than even last year with us keeping Jimmy G around for Lance's back-up. We aren't even waiting around to see if Brock was actually a one-hit wonder or not and maybe the team gets turned back over to Lance. We still had 3 years of holding Trey's options if we wanted. Perhaps we're learning from the Trey mistake; don't have a QB back-up that's hunting your top guy.

rather important to note the other first round pick the Niners made the Kinlaw year was Brandon Aiyuk.
Right. It's horrid. And yet, every single year we've had a starting caliber QB, we either went to the Super Bowl, or lost in the conference Championship game. Just shows the absolute strength of how they've built this team while missing on so many premium picks and how good of a coach/coaching staff that Shanny has built out.

It's very very easy to push a Shanny level coach out the door and a Urban Meyer-esq guy comes in and replaces him in the NFL. I

I’m fine with the trade. Anyone who watched preseason could see Darnold is miles better than Lance. Darnold is more than capable of running this offense effectively if Brock goes down. From what I’ve seen of Lance so far I’m not sure he could do the same. I just don’t see Lance as a NFL QB. He’s never looked comfortable, holds on to the ball too long, slow to make decisions/reads, and isn’t accurate. Arm strength? Sure. Athletic? Yes. But NFL defenses are too fast for him.

yeah the thing about the sheer narrative velocity of the Brock Purdy story is that he’s on track to either be the next Tom Brady/Kurt Warner/Tony Romo ultimate underdog who turns out to be a star or he’s gonna flame out spectacularly this season and be a one hit wonder. Without wanting to be “Brock is the next Tom Brady!!!” guy, everything about how the last two seasons has gone sorta points towards the first option rather than the spectacular collapse.
I'd be stunned if regressed from last year. He had all the contextual problems against him in his starts last season and he looked like a top 15 QB. Not to mention we were working in a major offensive weapon into the system with CMC, which isn't easy to do without an off-season.

Now, I'm far more skeptical he can keep up in a race with the Mahomes/Allen/Hurts/Lamar/Herbert type QB's of the world, but I think you can start talking about him in that next tier. QB is honestly fairly bad in the NFL if you really start to map it out:

Elite:
Mahomes
Burrow
Herbert
Allen
Hurts
Lamar
Lawrence

Ascending to elite:
Fields?

Once elite, perhaps still can be:
Murray
Watson
Rodgers
Dak

Showed some flashes, still a lot to prove:
Tua
Geno Smith? One year wonder?

After that? It gets real ugly real quickly:

Russ Wilson
Jimmy G
Mac Jones
Ryan Tannehill
Desmond Ridder
Jared Goff
Matt Stafford
Kirk Cousins
Derek Carr
Daniel Jones
Baker Mayfield
Sam Howell

Rookies:
Young
Richardson
Stroud

So yeah. You start looking at this list, I don't see any reason Purdy couldn't be a top 15 QB. And after those top 7 guys, everyone else still has all kinds of questions to answer or just flat out talent concerns

SLAB

Hall of Famer
On one hand, I hate to admit such historic defeat.

On the other hand, Trey Lance has like 550 game passes in the last near decade of his life. Some college QBs can hit that mark in a single season. He’ll never be ready and his athleticism didn’t translate to the NFL like we hoped so … your problem now, Cowboys. A nice lottery ticket chance for a 4th though.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I think if you look at this in terms of the overall process instead of isolating one bad trade result what you get is that the Niners gave up 3 firsts and a third and they now have a young starting quarterback in Brock Purdy, a very good backup in Sam Darnold, and a future fourth round pick for trading Trey Lance. I'm fine with the end result. Pretty much every year the Niners whiff on a pick or multiple picks in the first few rounds and end up with phenomenal value from the later rounds. Do I really care that Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster were both busts when they got George Kittle that year? Or McGlinchey and Pettis when they got Fred Warner? If they had hit on every pick they couldn't afford to pay them all anyway.

You just have to look at the team's record at the end of the day and if the combination of personnel moves and coaching has got the team in position to win a Super Bowl or not. The team is in good shape right now and Trey Lance has an opportunity to watch and learn somewhere else where he might have a better shot at getting on the field during games. It's so hard to find an elite quarterback that any number of picks thrown at the wall is still worth it at the end of the day, I think, if you like your chances with the whomever you've got left at the top of your depth chart.