NFL 2023-2024 Thread

I was thinking about this, and in hindsight, the coaching may not have time to think it threw better, but 2 things in OT drives that could've been done diffeently for a better outcome, especially #1.

#1, take a timeout at 3rd and 4 form the Chiefs 8 to draw up a 4 yard play specifically for the blitz. You're already well in FG range they only needed 4 yards for a 1st and goal. Instead you had Purdy throwing a ditch out for the endzone, when you really want to play for short yardage pass. you wanna invest in Purdy's legs for that throw, instead they gave the Chiefs too easy a look.

#2 ON defense On the 4th and 1, bring modified cover 1 - drop Chavarius Ward back but not too far as a fail-safe tackler only to protect the TD.....you're already conceding a FG anyway, go for broke with bringing up 7 or 8 next to the line of scrimmage for a near full out blitz. They had 2 deep safeties effectively wasting a man at the line of scrimmage...... needed the full numbers up front

I disagree, the defense had a great game, they know where their weaknesses are on the team......it is disappointing that the Chiefs were giving the game away in the 3rd quarter, and Shanahan and the offense failed......hindsight, even a FG would've won the game with the first 2 drives of the 3rd quarter/. Purdy looked average, but not terrible. A bit disappointing that he didn't really meet the moment. He'll have time to improve for next season. The loss certainly hurts more for McCaffrey who played his guts out and is in an injury prone position.
I think you forget that the Chiefs have probably the best defense in the NFL I knew Purdy and the offense would struggle against it, the same way Baltimore and other teams did.

I think you forget that the Chiefs have probably the best defense in the NFL I knew Purdy and the offense would struggle against it, the same way Baltimore and other teams did.
Yeah the Chiefs defense get credit, but,
In sports, the rule of thumb is great offense beats great defense, and the 49ers had the better offense. statistically....so I view it as a failure on the offense - strength vs strength ...... early in the game the 49ers were moving the ball ,running it,, and Purdy was checking down better....they got away from that in the 2nd half, and especially the 3rd quarter.

The tweet making the rounds this morning that the Niners players didn’t know the OT rules is a super, super bad look on Shanahan. Oof

Also, I don’t think you want the ball first and didn’t they choose to have the ball? KC knew what they had to get and then could use all 4 downs every time if need be

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The tweet making the rounds this morning that the Niners players didn’t know the OT rules is a super, super bad look on Shanahan. Oof

Also, I don’t think you want the ball first and didn’t they choose to have the ball? KC knew what they had to get and then could use all 4 downs every time if need be
Does it matter if players don’t know the rules as long as the decision makers do?

Also Shanahan explained his reasoning for asking for the ball first (have the sudden death advantage on a possible second possession). I guess you can question whether that’s the right decision but it’s not like they accidentally chose to get the ball first because they didn’t know the rules or something.

That's only if the 49ers score which couldn't be assumed to start the OT. Scoring is the objective, so you go first. It was not an incorrect call. On top of that, having a forced 4th down each play is not necessarily an advantage, as each 4th down in an elimination drive, the defense also has a shot at winning the game each 4th down. The discussion for the league was undoubtly, in a close game leading to OT should an initial sudden death FG determine the game - they thought not. I dont have a problem with the new rule - extends the game.

The 3rd quarter play calling allowed the Chiefs back in the game. How many times did they try and force Deebo over the middle? Seemed like every drive involved false starts and force feeding those shallow crossing patterns. As soon as they went back to the run, they started driving again but they had wasted multiple possessions already.

The prevent defense after Valdez-Scantling turned a 7 yard gain into a 2nd and 14 really hurt. Why would Wilks immediately go into a prevent type defense in that situation? They basically gifted the Chiefs an 8 yard gain there for no reason whatsoever other than bad play calling. You've got them on their heels, go for the jugular.

I know a lot of people crap on Romo but I thought he was fantastic overall. Kept harping on how Shanny needed to go back to getting Juice back in the game so they could pound the ball and as soon as they did that, the Niners offense was no longer stuck in the mud. The problem was if our offense was predictable, the Chiefs had our number. 2nd or 3rd and long and there was nothing the Niners could do. 2nd and 5 and now they had options and the defense was on their heels.

Just sucks that it came down to a punt bouncing off the foot of a random guy almost no one has ever heard of and a blocked extra point. It's hard to say if the blocked extra point cost them the game because the Chiefs would have had a shot or two at the end zone to win the game at the end of the 4th if the Niners were up by 1.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The blocked extra point didn’t matter because at that point Mahomes was a man possessed and wasn’t going to lose. They had to put them away when they had chances and repeatedly squandered them. I’m never going to forget those series of playcalls in the third, mainly after that INT. That was the time, and Kyle Shanahan’d all over himself as he always does in the Super Bowl.

Does it matter if players don’t know the rules as long as the decision makers do?

Also Shanahan explained his reasoning for asking for the ball first (have the sudden death advantage on a possible second possession). I guess you can question whether that’s the right decision but it’s not like they accidentally chose to get the ball first because they didn’t know the rules or something.
Well, I guess you can compare to both teams approaches to the rule change. Niners players didn’t know about it while the Chiefs discussed in training camp I believe I read. One coach is in a full blown dynasty and one coach is still trying to get over the hump. Maybe it’s not a big deal.

And as far as taking the ball first, I understand why he said he did it but I think having it second knowing what you need to get, TD or FG, has massive implications on formulating your play calls for the drive AND knowing that you have 4 downs to get a first down if the other team scored.

The blocked extra point didn’t matter because at that point Mahomes was a man possessed and wasn’t going to lose. They had to put them away when they had chances and repeatedly squandered them. I’m never going to forget those series of playcalls in the third, mainly after that INT. That was the time, and Kyle Shanahan’d all over himself as he always does in the Super Bowl.
To your point, and to reiterate an earlier point I made...

You give one of the greats (especially a quarterback) a chance to march downfield and beat you, he's gonna march down the dang field and beat you nine out of ten times. You just can't do that. You HAVE to throw the knockout punch while you can. San Francisco had every opportunity in the book to do just that, but were unsuccessful.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

great pass protection for a screen play (which was not what the play was)
This has been the problem all season. If those guys hold their blocks for even one second that's a potential game winning TD throw to Jennings, The defense still has to make a stop but it's hard to play call your way around half the O-Line being made of tinfoil. And the defense had so many key stops throughout the game that the offense squandered.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This has been the problem all season. If those guys hold their blocks for even one second that's a potential game winning TD throw to Jennings, The defense still has to make a stop but it's hard to play call your way around half the O-Line being made of tinfoil. And the defense had so many key stops throughout the game that the offense squandered.
I think the frustrating part about the o-line is that there were just so many instances where the right side of the line even failed to touch the guy they’re supposed to block.
The Niners oline this season was pretty much just that horse picture meme where the picture gets worse and worse the further you get down the line but yesterday even Big Trent had one of his worst performances.

Well, I guess you can compare to both teams approaches to the rule change. Niners players didn’t know about it while the Chiefs discussed in training camp I believe I read. One coach is in a full blown dynasty and one coach is still trying to get over the hump. Maybe it’s not a big deal.

And as far as taking the ball first, I understand why he said he did it but I think having it second knowing what you need to get, TD or FG, has massive implications on formulating your play calls for the drive AND knowing that you have 4 downs to get a first down if the other team scored.
I think that's the point @dude12 is making...That the fact that the players didn't know what the overtime rules were coming into the game is a bad look for Shanahan and his coaching staff. It is 100% on the coaching staff to make sure their players know the rules in that situation.

LINK TO article on ESPN.com:

49ers players say they didn't know Super Bowl overtime rules

Im surprised at the confusion about the rules. I thought those have been the rules for even the regular season for a few years.

I can’t believe those guys were admitting they didn’t know the rules.

It’s a shame. All the little things.

Everybody played well enough.

They wrote an A paper but forgot to put their name on it

Tough breaks on a freak punt hitting an ankle, which quickly turned into 7 points.....and then a blocked extra point. Wasn't meant to be this time, but they competed really well and made them earn it in the end.

Had this been the old rule of sudden death in overtime, they'd have won, like New England did in one of their wins
Doesnt work that way. KC would have played the OT different.

The CMC fumble and Trent Williams 2 penalties destroying those first quarter drives really set us back in this game. We were driving down the field and both drives just ended with nothing. You know you have to get some room between us and the Chiefs and I think in most cases, we at least come away with some points on one or both of those drives.
the same for the chiefs fumble. Oh and they got screwed at least twice on refs spotting the ball that should have been first downs. Especially the opening drive.

Burford sold this game hard. Didn't realize how big Feliciano getting hurt was

I think that's the point @dude12 is making...That the fact that the players didn't know what the overtime rules were coming into the game is a bad look for Shanahan and his coaching staff. It is 100% on the coaching staff to make sure their players know the rules in that situation.

LINK TO article on ESPN.com:

49ers players say they didn't know Super Bowl overtime rules

I'm thinking that Shanahan himself didn't know the new rules of playoff Overtime.

Otherwise he should have deferred on the overtime kickoff plus he should had called a timeout during that frenetic last play to set his defense. It looked like he wanted the clock to run out, but it would had just went into the 2nd overtime period. He probably incorrectly thought the game would end of the 15 minute quarter.

I'm thinking that Shanahan himself didn't know the new rules of playoff Overtime.

Otherwise he should have deferred on the overtime kickoff plus he should had called a timeout during that frenetic last play to set his defense. It looked like he wanted the clock to run out, but it would had just went into the 2nd overtime period. He probably incorrectly thought the game would end of the 15 minute quarter.
Taking the ball first is the correct move. They needed a td, the fg allowed the chiefs to win.