NFL 2023-2024 Thread

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I would think that "analytics" or common sense would tell you to always defer. Then you know whether or not you have to on 4th down, based on what the opponent does. Seems pretty basic
I don’t think there have been enough cases of the new postseason OT rules being used for there to be analytics to defer to in the first place.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Considering how often we saw Taylor during the game, I don’t think enough people are talking about how we saw Travis Kelce actually lay hands on a 65-year-old old fat dude for not passing him the ball enough.

KC was like “Here take this game” for 3.5 quarters. If Brock was great, he would have taken it. If Kyle was to ever win a SB it was now. But Kyle was Kyle. Purdy was every bit the 7th rounder he is. Moody is the biggest blunder of the year. There’s no positive going to next year. There is none.
I disagree, the defense had a great game, they know where their weaknesses are on the team......it is disappointing that the Chiefs were giving the game away in the 3rd quarter, and Shanahan and the offense failed......hindsight, even a FG would've won the game with the first 2 drives of the 3rd quarter/. Purdy looked average, but not terrible. A bit disappointing that he didn't really meet the moment. He'll have time to improve for next season. The loss certainly hurts more for McCaffrey who played his guts out and is in an injury prone position.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You take the ball because if you both score, you get the first shot in sudden death.
That was Kyle’s thinking as well. I’d probably align myself with that thinking as well, “you’re giving the other team 4 downs!” Idea be damned. At the end of the day, it just came down to not being able to keep the other team from getting into the end zone.

KC was like “Here take this game” for 3.5 quarters. If Brock was great, he would have taken it. If Kyle was to ever win a SB it was now. But Kyle was Kyle. Purdy was every bit the 7th rounder he is. Moody is the biggest blunder of the year. There’s no positive going to next year. There is none.

No one likes this sort of rhetoric. If you hate the 49ers so much, go do something else with your life.

I get it "I can fan however I want! Waaaah", but it's going on years and years now with this forum. Just save us all the trouble (and honestly yourself). It's hard enough processing a hard loss like this and coming on here and reading "SEE, LOOK HOW RIGHT I AM, LOL THIS TEAM WAS NEVER GOOD, I KNEW IT ALL ALONG HAHAHA. SHANNY A CHUMP, PURDY a 7th ROUND LOSER" is nauseating to read over and over and over again.

This year for both the Kings and the 49ers I've tried to be hopeful but not expectant. Am I disappointed with the loss? Absolutely. Devastated? Nope. I have no impact on the game. I watch for fun. Intentionally trying to internally level out my ups and downs as a fan has helped a lot over the years. If they won I would have been absolutely stoked. But not expecting it has helped with the loss.
this is a winning approach. setting expectations as null and/or minimal and not letting sports affect you emotionally in an unhealthy way is a barrier for folk who consume for decades

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean, I realize as Niner fans it’s sort hard to take all the emotion out of it but we all just watched one of the best games of football of all time and one that literally just came down to whoever had the ball last won. It’s not like the Niners got thoroughly pantsed or the Chiefs looked like they were in a league of their own. It was the two best teams in the league throwing haymaker after haymaker until time just finally ran out and guys just ran out of gas.

Last edited:
Andy finally fell into a generational QB. Purdy isn’t that and never will be.
He's not Mahomes, but he's a good QB, certainly to be a top 10 going forward. Mahomes is the top QB in the NFL. 49ers lost this game on intangbles - coaching and special teams. Shanahan does deserve some blame. Defense played a great game unexpectedly. They need upgrades on secondary and Offensive line in the off-season.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
No one likes this sort of rhetoric. If you hate the 49ers so much, go do something else with your life.

I get it "I can fan however I want! Waaaah", but it's going on years and years now with this forum. Just save us all the trouble (and honestly yourself). It's hard enough processing a hard loss like this and coming on here and reading "SEE, LOOK HOW RIGHT I AM, LOL THIS TEAM WAS NEVER GOOD, I KNEW IT ALL ALONG HAHAHA. SHANNY A CHUMP, PURDY a 7th ROUND LOSER" is nauseating to read over and over and over again.
Nowhere in my posts did I say I hated the Niners, friend! I just went in with realistic expectations then lost it when KC tried to hand it over on a platter all night, only for the Niners to do what they do best in 2000’s Super Bowls!

There’s a reason I’ve watched like 5 Kings games in total this year. The Warriors loss broke me as a fan. I just don’t care. And we’ll see how it tracks, but I don’t really want to continue caring here either. Life is so much easier when your team is utter crap.

That’s why I love the Giants more than the rest!
I agree on this, the Kings Boston home loss really blew it for me. Have not been watching too many games since.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
this is a winning approach. setting expectations as null and/or minimal and not letting sports affect you emotionally in an unhealthy way is a barrier for folk who consume for decades
My approach over the last couple of years (after having to grapple with my own emotions or whatever) has always been to just take the positive experiences out of sports and leave the bad parts behind. It’s not like I’m actually on the team or something and nothing that I do will actually have any bearing on the situation so why not just sit back and relax.

not that I begrudge people who get into things.

But to actually process the game a bit.

Sometimes you just lose. Can't take anything away from the Chiefs defense, they were absolutely lights out. Every bit the dominant unit they were hyped to be.

And we shot ourselves in the foot.

-CMC fumbled, throwing away a possession we were driving down the field
-Trent Williams 2 straight penalties, throwing away possession.
-Dre Greenlaw somehow hurts his Achilles running onto the field.
-Ball randomly hits a special teams guy in the leg and McCloud doesn't jump on it and tries to run with it
-Deebo had at least 2 drops that hit him square in the hands
-Burford can't block, leading to an XP getting blocked
-Some random scrub 4th string TE gets a penalty with Kittle on the sideline

And just a bunch of other real ankle biters that really had nothing to do with what the Chiefs were doing and totally avoidable. To be fair, the Chiefs had plenty of those plays as well. But to beat Pat Mahomes, you just have to play a near perfect game with regards to mistakes. Any extra opportunities he gets is just death.

My approach over the last couple of years (after having to grapple with my own emotions or whatever) has always been to just take the positive experiences out of sports and leave the bad parts behind. It’s not like I’m actually on the team or something and nothing that I do will actually have any bearing on the situation so why not just sit back and relax.

not that I begrudge people who get into things.
entertainment is entertainment and it comes in many forms. this is the form we choose to spend time with and speak about in our spare time so having good and bad experiences is all part of the whole scheme. When it becomes toxic is when one should no longer consume

Plus the defense had just defended a 2 minute drill.

I didn’t mind that. What they should’ve done was score a damn touchdown. They knew they weren’t winning with a field goal. Oh well
The CMC fumble and Trent Williams 2 penalties destroying those first quarter drives really set us back in this game. We were driving down the field and both drives just ended with nothing. You know you have to get some room between us and the Chiefs and I think in most cases, we at least come away with some points on one or both of those drives.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The CMC fumble and Trent Williams 2 penalties destroying those first quarter drives really set us back in this game. We were driving down the field and both drives just ended with nothing. You know you have to get some room between us and the Chiefs and I think in most cases, we at least come away with some points on one or both of those drives.
Not scoring after the INT was when the game was officially over. You knew what was happening then. Just like in 19.

But to actually process the game a bit.

Sometimes you just lose. Can't take anything away from the Chiefs defense, they were absolutely lights out. Every bit the dominant unit they were hyped to be.

And we shot ourselves in the foot.

-CMC fumbled, throwing away a possession we were driving down the field
-Trent Williams 2 straight penalties, throwing away possession.
-Dre Greenlaw somehow hurts his Achilles running onto the field.
-Ball randomly hits a special teams guy in the leg and McCloud doesn't jump on it and tries to run with it
-Deebo had at least 2 drops that hit him square in the hands

And just a bunch of other real ankle biters that really had nothing to do with what the Chiefs were doing and totally avoidable. To be fair, the Chiefs had plenty of those plays as well. But to beat Pat Mahomes, you just have to play a near perfect game with regards to mistakes. Any extra opportunities he gets is just death.
This is what separates the greats of the game from the rest (something Purdy has every opportunity in the book to do for himself by the end of his career). You just can't give them any time at all with which to work. A great quarterback will take the ball with 2 minutes left on the clock, and 90 yards to go in order to get into the end zone, and will still get you 6 points (PAT pending). Mahomes, time and time again, has shown that he can do just that. Brock will get there (if he's not quite there yet) eventually.

This was a well-played game on the defensive end of things (by both teams). Both offenses left a lot to be desired at the end of the day. But, ultimately, I do think the better team won.

Also, if this kind of a game, and win, doesn't tell you anything else, it should at least tell you that, at the end of the day, experience matters. Mahomes was/is experienced in the Super Bowl. This was Brock's first rodeo. It won't be his last, though.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
entertainment is entertainment and it comes in many forms. this is the form we choose to spend time with and speak about in our spare time so having good and bad experiences is all part of the whole scheme. When it becomes toxic is when one should no longer consume
I think it all just clicked for me when I decided to treat all sports like wrestling. Obviously things aren’t as “predetermined” in most sports as they are there but watching sports with the same sort of bemused anticipation as there has just helped my mental wellbeing so much.

I think it all just clicked for me when I decided to treat all sports like wrestling. Obviously things aren’t as “predetermined” in most sports as they are there but watching sports with the same sort of bemused anticipation as there has just helped my mental wellbeing so much.
I stopped watching wrestling a long time ago but when I used to watch in the early 2000s, I loved all the different characters each wrestler had and persona and although I knew it was all scripted after a couple of years, I still consumed until my favorites retired and/or I just found a new sport to follow

This is what separates the greats of the game from the rest (something Purdy has every opportunity in the book to do for himself by the end of his career). You just can't give them any time at all with which to work. A great quarterback will take the ball with 2 minutes left on the clock, and 90 yards to go in order to get into the end zone, and will still get you 6 points (PAT pending). Mahomes, time and time again, has shown that he can do just that. Brock will get there (if he's not quite there yet) eventually.

This was a well-played game on the defensive end of things (by both teams). Both offenses left a lot to be desired at the end of the day. But, ultimately, I do think the better team won.

Also, if this kind of a game, and win, doesn't tell you anything else, it should at least tell you that, at the end of the day, experience matters. Mahomes was/is experienced in the Super Bowl. This was Brock's first rodeo. It won't be his last, though.
Purdy played him to a standstill for a majority of this game. For the 3rd youngest QB to start a SB, ever, I thought he handled himself damn well. Clutch throw after clutch throw in crunch time. Especially when his teammates really crap the bed, outside of Jennings. Even CMC, with the fumble, that killed that awesome first drive.

But damn man. You just knew Mahomes was going to drive his team down the field to tie the game at the end of regulation. And you just knew he'd at the very least find a way to score back at us in OT, if we didn't punch in 7.

He's the GOAT. At this point, it's just waiting for him to get the counting stats to pass up Peyton/Brady/Rodgers, etc.

You take the ball because if you both score, you get the first shot in sudden death.
That was Kyle’s thinking as well. I’d probably align myself with that thinking as well, “you’re giving the other team 4 downs!” Idea be damned. At the end of the day, it just came down to not being able to keep the other team from getting into the end zone.
Also, you take the ball because if you score, the pressure is now on them to march downfield and do the same.
Give them the ball first and let them score, the pressure is now on your offense to march downfield and do the same.

Put the pressure on them, and not on yourself.

I have to laugh and just shake my head at the “Brock Purdy looked like a 7th round draft pick” take. Dude came out and shredded the Chiefs for a 100+ yards passing his first two possessions only to see CMC lose a fumble near the red zone, then next possession he opens with a 18 yard completion to Aiyuk only to have Big Trent go back to back false start, hold to kill that drive. SMH. Did we miss opportunities? Absolutely, but I’m not watching this game and thinking “if only the Niners had Allen or Jackson or name your QB” and we win this game. Special teams lapses, some questionable play calling to start the 2nd half and the Reid/Mahomes combo lost us this game. Tip my cap to KC, they made adjustments and made big plays when they needed to. As pointed out by someone else, 10 years ago, we’re talking about Purdy leading the Niners on a game winning drive in OT and Moody kicking a game winning FG. It is what it is. (I’m fine with the new OT by the way, it should be like it is now) It sucks we lost, it hurts. But I just can’t understand watching that game and thinking we “don’t belong” with the Chiefs moving forward. That’s was about as close to even as it gets.

Man. The defense put together a near shutout and we lose anyway because of a 57 yard field goal and a botched punt return. Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and laugh.
Not to mention. Travis Kelce woke up once Dre Greenlaw hurt himself:

*checks notes*

Being too excited to get into the game. LB play was drastically worse with him out.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Man. The defense put together a near shutout and we lose anyway because of a 57 yard field goal and a botched punt return. Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and laugh.
The punt return is particularly infuriating because if the punter had just hit an absolute moon ball like he did with every single other one of his punts in the game, it wouldn’t have been a bad results for the Niners but instead it was his worst kick of the night just randomly potatoing right off of the back of a Niners blocker’s foot.

Classy post from an alternative team's fan.

Not to mention. Travis Kelce woke up once Dre Greenlaw hurt himself:

*checks notes*

Being too excited to get into the game. LB play was drastically worse with him out.
Not having Greenlaw hurts more in runs and some sure tackling - with him in there, likely several of the Chiefs 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 4s become more like 3rd and 6 or 7......his better tackling in leak outs and short hitches became missing. Burks is ok, but he hesitated too much on a few different plays.......anyway Greenlaw's absensce hurt a bit, but I don't think it turned the game ultimately. 49ers did well vs the run, but got burned by Mahomes scampers. Was hoping they had a better plan for Mahomes running., but it was really on the offense disappointingly. 49ers did better than average vs Kelce but not great.

Jennings I believe is a Free Agent, and should be a 49ers priority to re-sign in the offseason. He's wirey strong and fearless going up tor the ball across the middle. I'm sure the loss hurts especially for him. Playing sports, When you have a good game but your team loses it hurts a bit more.