New arena cost revealed at near $400M

That's not the issue as I wouldn't want to go to Arden Mall. :) Are you saying that in the plans there is no provision for light rail at the intermodal?
No. I'm saying light rail is currently limited to who will use it. I didnt say go to the mall. I said drive past the mall on the way to 160 to the arena to park or park at a light rail station? For me it takes 10-15 mins to a light rail station that are north or south or 20 mins to the railyards that is west.

The way light rail is laid out right now it's no faster or easier to use for most than just driving downtown. It's basically a V from downtown. If you live in the middle of the V you have to travel sideways to catch the lightrail.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
No. I'm saying light rail is currently limited to who will use it. I didnt say go to the mall. I said drive past the mall on the way to 160 to the arena to park or park at a light rail station? For me it takes 10-15 mins to a light rail station that are north or south or 20 mins to the railyards that is west.

The way light rail is laid out right now it's no faster or easier to use for most than just driving downtown. It's basically a V from downtown. If you live in the middle of the V you have to travel sideways to catch the lightrail.
If you live in the middle of the V in Carmichael, you have to travel sideways to get to the freeway. I live as far west in Carmichael as is possible so I have one of the easier drives and it isn't good.

I understand what you are getting at and it is the plight of living in Carmichael. We are stuck. You need to look at a map to understand that a person in Carmichael has no easy access to 160. The only way I can get to 160 is to go to Watt and 80 where there is already a light rail parking lot. I still have the option of parking my car there or continuing on in the car to the game. What I actually may do is hard to say as it may depend a lot on how easy the access is to the arena or parking and how easy it is to leave after a game.

It sounds like the arena parking will be limited and other lots will be used for the majority of the parking. As I will be of no status to qualify for the special parking lot projected to be built near the arena and if the light rail actually pulls up to the front door as in the mock up, my drive may be to the 80/Watt parking lot and I will continue my journey on light rail.

It will depend a lot on whether light rail can be efficient enough or abundant enough to make its use convenient at the arena. With parking not being quite as close as I would like, I will figure that out by trial and error. As to traffic, it depends on what the traffic is at the arena before and after a game. Traffic elsewhere is not a factor in my decision making.

Gotta think big.

I just went to LA Live two weeks ago, and it's really impressive. They took an area that, ten years ago, you didn't want to be caught walking at night in, and turned it into an entertainment epicenter. Nightclubs, restaurants, hotels, adjacent parking, and of course, the venues: Staples, Nokia Theatre, and the convention center. I've only been a few times, but every time I wonder why I'm not there more often (it's because it's a 45 minute drive with moderate traffic).

We went to a concert at Nokia, which is about a 2,000 seat auditorium, where they have American Idol. Built for acoustics. And after the show, at about 10:30, we were able to walk back to the parking lot with no worries about being or feeling unsafe. We could have gone to a restaurant, a club, a bar, whatever. Could have just sat outside or walked around. AEG has done a ton with that area, and it all started with Staples Center.

Next up is a football stadium.
I always think big. I'm not sure most of the people in Sac do though. Hopefully that will start to change with a little civic pride after this modern arena is built and the railyards get jumping.

Football stadium for which city? Sac wouldn't even be considered for a team unless the Raiders or Niners left. I wouldn't mind a soccer stadium though. I wouldn't even mind if someone wanted to put some money behind Sac State athletics and promote our only D1 school in the city. The school is in a great position as far as location, television market, no direct competition and so on. Financial backing is the only thing Sac State lacks. Hmmm...sounds like a familiar trend in this city. Maybe the city could cut Sac State a break on a lease to play games at the new arena. With light rail access from campus to the arena, it would be an easy commute and another way to draw more business downtown.........Just thinking big....

I always think big. I'm not sure most of the people in Sac do though. Hopefully that will start to change with a little civic pride after this modern arena is built and the railyards get jumping.

Football stadium for which city? Sac wouldn't even be considered for a team unless the Raiders or Niners left. I wouldn't mind a soccer stadium though. I wouldn't even mind if someone wanted to put some money behind Sac State athletics and promote our only D1 school in the city. The school is in a great position as far as location, television market, no direct competition and so on. Financial backing is the only thing Sac State lacks. Hmmm...sounds like a familiar trend in this city. Maybe the city could cut Sac State a break on a lease to play games at the new arena. With light rail access from campus to the arena, it would be an easy commute and another way to draw more business downtown.........Just thinking big....
I think he's talking about LA. They have Staples, the convention center and LA Live/Nokia all in one area and now are thinking of building a football stadium right next to all of them. It would be wedged between those facilities and the 110 freeway which would mean they would have to demolish a large portion of the convention center.

It's pretty doable. Farmer's Insurance is going to put up a whopping $700 million for naming rights. That number goes to $900 million if they can get a 2nd team to play there. $900 million practically pays for the stadium right there.

AEG is licking their chops over this one. If they can get $900 million for that stadium, they will be making money hand over fist and it could mean more flexibility for helping something get done here.

If you live in the middle of the V in Carmichael, you have to travel sideways to get to the freeway. I live as far west in Carmichael as is possible so I have one of the easier drives and it isn't good.

I understand what you are getting at and it is the plight of living in Carmichael. We are stuck. You need to look at a map to understand that a person in Carmichael has no easy access to 160. The only way I can get to 160 is to go to Watt and 80 where there is already a light rail parking lot. I still have the option of parking my car there or continuing on in the car to the game. What I actually may do is hard to say as it may depend a lot on how easy the access is to the arena or parking and how easy it is to leave after a game.

It sounds like the arena parking will be limited and other lots will be used for the majority of the parking. As I will be of no status to qualify for the special parking lot projected to be built near the arena and if the light rail actually pulls up to the front door as in the mock up, my drive may be to the 80/Watt parking lot and I will continue my journey on light rail.

It will depend a lot on whether light rail can be efficient enough or abundant enough to make its use convenient at the arena. With parking not being quite as close as I would like, I will figure that out by trial and error. As to traffic, it depends on what the traffic is at the arena before and after a game. Traffic elsewhere is not a factor in my decision making.
Have you ever taken light rail Glenn? I have about dozen times or so over the years and I'll say this. I would NEVER ride at night - and of course that's when nearly all Kings games are scheduled. Unfortunately, most stations are crime ridden and sitting on trains especially at night can be a cesspool of gang bangers and assorted thugs often using it as party central. Security guards are barely visible in many cases or seem like they could care less patroling their designated areas. Back in late 80s only a few years after light rail went in two young teen boys were shot dead at a light rail station not far from my home one late night merely for their Chicago Bulls jackets. Those were first murders at a light rail station I recall in Sac but since there's been several more - plus a host of robberies, rapes, etc. Generally the light rail experience is not a pleasant one and can be quite dangerous.

I wonder if it would be possible to have parking lots built on other side of river in West Sac (maybe Yolo could build and get some revenue) and just run run fleet of shuttle buses every 10-15 minutes back and forth. That would be a better and much safer situation. I think city of Sac might regret their no parking plan, especially if an incident or two happens and a Kings fan or family is accosted, hurt, or worse at a light rail station or while riding on a train.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Have you ever taken light rail Glenn? I have about dozen times or so over the years and I'll say this. I would NEVER ride at night - and of course that's when nearly all Kings games are scheduled. Unfortunately, most stations are crime ridden and sitting on trains especially at night can be a cesspool of gang bangers and assorted thugs often using it as party central. Security guards are barely visible in many cases or seem like they could care less patroling their designated areas. Back in late 80s only a few years after light rail went in two young teen boys were shot dead at a light rail station not far from my home one late night merely for their Chicago Bulls jackets. Those were first murders at a light rail station I recall in Sac but since there's been several more - plus a host of robberies, rapes, etc. Generally the light rail experience is not a pleasant one and can be quite dangerous.

I wonder if it would be possible to have parking lots built on other side of river in West Sac (maybe Yolo could build and get some revenue) and just run run fleet of shuttle buses every 10-15 minutes back and forth. That would be a better and much safer situation. I think city of Sac might regret their no parking plan, especially if an incident or two happens and a Kings fan or family is accosted, hurt, or worse at a light rail station or while riding on a train.
Sounds delightful. The only conveyance similar that I have ridden was a night time ride on a subway in New York. Not too many options in NY. Scary but saw no gangs. Lots of nice artwork to look at, though. :)

I agree that there is a lot of undesirable activity late at night on LTR. But the more people that ride it, the less dangerous it gets. Those thugs would find another place to hang out on game nights. Nobody rides it now because there is no reason to go downtown. It's all part of the transformation and effect that needs to happen with the arena. If people in cities like London and Paris can ride their Metro and Underground late at night, so can sleepy Sacramento. The difficult battle isn't over safety, it's perception.

I think city of Sac might regret their no parking plan, especially if an incident or two happens and a Kings fan or family is accosted, hurt, or worse at a light rail station or while riding on a train.
What no parking plan? There are 8200 public parking spaces around the area already they didnt count private. The only issue is parking for suite and VIP holders where they would need about 2000 spaces close to the arena. The current arena has 10,000 spaces.

I agree that there is a lot of undesirable activity late at night on LTR. But the more people that ride it, the less dangerous it gets. Those thugs would find another place to hang out on game nights. Nobody rides it now because there is no reason to go downtown. It's all part of the transformation and effect that needs to happen with the arena. If people in cities like London and Paris can ride their Metro and Underground late at night, so can sleepy Sacramento. The difficult battle isn't over safety, it's perception.
Or it might be that criminal element pencils in game nights on their schedule as that's when lots of easy, wealthier, targets of opportunity will be available. I don't want to sound overly paranoid but I was victim of a violent carjacking in Sac about a dozen years ago - at late night, in probably a place I should have avoided and or at least been more aware of surrounding danger. If LTR beefs up security on game nights especially out deep in "their" parking lots, maybe they can avoid incidents that routinely seem to happen.

This is not a sexist comment but I'm amazed how many of the security guards they employ are obese, even morbidly obese women. Nothing wrong with the women part but they mostly look like they could not or would not be able to handle a really dangerous situation or look at all the part of a deterrant to any criminal or gang of thugs. I still like possibility of locating parking right across the river as an option worth considering.

What no parking plan? There are 8200 public parking spaces around the area already they didnt count private. The only issue is parking for suite and VIP holders where they would need about 2000 spaces close to the arena. The current arena has 10,000 spaces.
I mean on site parking. The report states that 8,000 or so parking spaces are within half-mile of the new proposed arena site. Have you been to the Railyards? I've walked its huge perimeter and there are no garages all that close. I would estimate bulk are 500 yards or more away - you know, five football fields away. Getting drenched in a rainy windy storm on game night is not my idea of a fun night out. Now that I think about it, maybe Old Sac parking garages are among the closest but that hopefully was not included in the "8,200." All I'm saying is, other parking options should be considered and West Sac could be a player.

I mean on site parking. The report states that 8,000 or so parking spaces are within half-mile of the new proposed arena site. Have you been to the Railyards? I've walked its huge perimeter and there are no garages all that close. I would estimate bulk are 500 yards or more away - you know, five football fields away. Getting drenched in a rainy windy storm on game night is not my idea of a fun night out. Now that I think about it, maybe Old Sac parking garages are among the closest but that hopefully was not included in the "8,200." All I'm saying is, other parking options should be considered and West Sac could be a player.
Yes I know the exact spot. Parking spots for old sac and the area are close. There are plans for parking within the railyards. Plus right now its at least a 2+ block walk for most parking spots at PBP.

There is an open spot on the otherside of I5 that would be a perfect spot for some parking.

This is true. The more people that ride, the safer that it becomes. There is not a lot of riders on light rail at night time on most nights. On game nights the majority of the people on the train will be kings fans. If you sit by these people in an arena for a couple of hours, you can ride a train with them for 20 minutes. Most of what happens on the trains right now later in the evenings is annoying and not necessarily criminal.

It's an effect of living in a city where the majority of the population lives in the suburbs. You become disconnected and sometimes fearful of those in your community. The more you ride the light rail, the less fearful you become. This last comment was not directed at any one person.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't know who patrols light rail but many if not most security guards are paid witnesses and have no intent to intervene. They don't make enough to put their life at risk. A half mile is a long way. I personally can't walk that far yet don't qualify for one of those disabled parking passes. The irony, as we are talking of safety, I am permanently disabled because of car accidents. There is risk in driving also.

In any case, I will be interested in the final plan. The standards they are using apparently are what either ICON has always used or are a league standard. They count all parking within a mile as available to the arena unless my memory is faulty. The other cities solved the issue so the clue as to what to do is available. Shuttle buses seem obvious to me.

On a personal note, this is discouraging. I certainly would prefer to drive as I suspect it is the way most Californians feel. If I drive, I won't be able to make the last half mile to the arena. I'd personally like to hear input from some others.

If the developers have any forethought, they'll understand that between the new courthouse being built on that site, the arena, and all of the resulting retail/residential development that they expect will arise along with the arena, they'll absolutely need a substantial structure to supplement the existing parking options in the area. They can't just be thinking about the arena itself.

I do like the idea of shuttling people across from West Sac in the mean time though. In fact, it's a brisk walk across the river if they build the pedestrian bridge as planned.

As for light rail safety, I agree that it's mainly a matter of the service being underpopulated/underused. You make it a viable option for more people (which it isn't for many, including myself, right now), and you cut down on the shadiness with trains full of potential witnesses. With that said, it's still important, if they choose to grow the service, that they consider what's happened over the years with BART, and more recently, what happened with Brian Stow down in LA, and beef up security on event nights. I'm talking a police officer at every light rail station/parking lot.

Last edited:
I don't know who patrols light rail but many if not most security guards are paid witnesses and have no intent to intervene. They don't make enough to put their life at risk. A half mile is a long way. I personally can't walk that far yet don't qualify for one of those disabled parking passes. The irony, as we are talking of safety, I am permanently disabled because of car accidents. There is risk in driving also.

In any case, I will be interested in the final plan. The standards they are using apparently are what either ICON has always used or are a league standard. They count all parking within a mile as available to the arena unless my memory is faulty. The other cities solved the issue so the clue as to what to do is available. Shuttle buses seem obvious to me.

On a personal note, this is discouraging. I certainly would prefer to drive as I suspect it is the way most Californians feel. If I drive, I won't be able to make the last half mile to the arena. I'd personally like to hear input from some others.
This is where I suggested a street car that would go around the rail yards and pass by the arena. Anywhere you park in the railyards would be close to jump on it.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This is where I suggested a street car that would go around the rail yards and pass by the arena. Anywhere you park in the railyards would be close to jump on it.
I have more far out ideas but anything that links the structures within the railyards would boost attendance or business at all structures within the railyard area. The airport's shuttles work fine. Buildings in a similar development have the major buildings linked by enclosed walkways that could be similar to those at the airport by being moving walkways. The buildings are very close together and the option of using a car is only to get to a parking area. The rest of the buildings are accessed by these connections. We all laughed at Shorty but his/her major complaint was that the place wasn't unique. A complex of buildings connected by moving walkways would be unique. This is totally dependent on what is built in the area as if it is an arena, a theater and a bunch of bars and restaurants, my idea wouldn't be practical.

It rains even in Sacramento and a nice downpour with parking being as far away as it seems could squelch attendance. Stay home and watch the game on TV or get drenched - not a difficult decision.

Anyway, I presume the people planning this are more versed in this kind of problem solving than us. They better be.

I recall parking in a public lot downtown for a baseball game out at Raley Field. They had an RT shuttle bus come by every few minutes and drop us off in front of Raley Field. That was far easier than parking near Raley Field. I don't know if they still do that. But it would take maybe a half dozen buses to loop around the area parking and pick up/drop off. If Raley Field can handle 15,000 fans for a night time basebal game, so can the railyards with 18,000.

I recall Arco I was a mess on opening night and it gradually improved as people learned where to go and picked their favorite methods. It's different for each person. After a few games, it will sort itself out.

And like I said in another thread and Section 101 mentioned, that parking next to the arena site is not going to fly with a few hundred spaces. I would bet that it will be turned into a 2,000 spot multi-level garage there or very near the arena. I've looked at enough NBA arenas downtown to know that there is some sort of good sized parking garage within a few yards and not hundreds. It's premium parking and big money maker and selling point for suites and club seats. This is will be a deal killer if it isn't done and the NBA would back up the Maloofs on this. That said, having 2,000 on site close and 8,000 within a half mile is outstanding by NBA standards.

Sprawl is why Sacto is wedded to its cars. The poor public transit doesn't help either, but part of public transit's problem is the actual geographical shape of the populace and trying to accommodate all the suburbs. They really need to improve LR for this, and have big parking areas to go to and then take LR, more like what BART has. I can only think of one spot for Light Rail that features a decent sized parking area, and the spot is out of the way itself(the 80 one).

Personally, I'm used to walking around downtown, so that doesn't worry me.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I have never seen so much complaining about walking a few blocks before. Guess that's what growing up in NY does to you, or spending time in large Euro cities where walking is a way of life. It takes 10 minutes to walk a half mile. If it's raining, bring an umbrella. If it's cold, where gloves and a scarf. If you don't want to walk, get a cab for the 2 min ride. Sorry if my opinion sounds cold, but in my experiences, this isn't much of a problem at all.

I have to drive 1.5 hrs from the east bay to go to a game. I'd love to be able to drive 20-30 mins, park, and walk a half mile. I also requent games at Oracle, and take bart. The bart station is close to a half mile from the entrance to Oracle. It's a 10 min walk. Not a big deal.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I thought you were moving to Minnesota or somewhere back in the northeast? If so, then why would you personally care about how you would get to the game? Or have you changed your mind?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I remember when I moved to Boston for school how petrified of public transport I was. Its just something that's ingrained in the Sacramento culture I guess. Funny thing is once you start using it, especially for events, you don't realize how you lived without it.

I split between bike and bus for my daily commute. Sometimes I wish I could drive, but when I go to a basketball, soccer or hockey game here I wouldn't think of taking anything other than the MAX, our version of light rail. The money saved on parking is ridiculous, the drop off isn't that much different than a lot would be and getting out isn't a traffic cluster*. There is "trouble" on the MAX just like their is on Sac's light rail, but it is almost never on game nights. It's random weeknights when ridership is at a minimum.

I think once Light Rail gets going as a practical alternative people will wonder how they ever got by.

I remember when I moved to Boston for school how petrified of public transport I was. Its just something that's ingrained in the Sacramento culture I guess. Funny thing is once you start using it, especially for events, you don't realize how you lived without it.

I split between bike and bus for my daily commute. Sometimes I wish I could drive, but when I go to a basketball, soccer or hockey game here I wouldn't think of taking anything other than the MAX, our version of light rail. The money saved on parking is ridiculous, the drop off isn't that much different than a lot would be and getting out isn't a traffic cluster*. There is "trouble" on the MAX just like their is on Sac's light rail, but it is almost never on game nights. It's random weeknights when ridership is at a minimum.

I think once Light Rail gets going as a practical alternative people will wonder how they ever got by.
People resist change and fear it. It's part of human nature. However, the city has to be smart and shape the arena and the railyards in the way that they know is best for business. People will adapt and we'll all benefit in the future if a huge parking garage is not built for this arena in my opinion. If Icon says that this is how it's done and their study shows there is enough parking in the area, then why argue the point? Make some time to get to the game early enough to get the closest parking possible. Or park somewhere close to a light rail station downtown and take the light rail the remaining way in and get dropped off at the front door. You don't have to get on light rail 20 miles from the arena.

I have never seen so much complaining about walking a few blocks before. Guess that's what growing up in NY does to you, or spending time in large Euro cities where walking is a way of life. It takes 10 minutes to walk a half mile. If it's raining, bring an umbrella. If it's cold, where gloves and a scarf. If you don't want to walk, get a cab for the 2 min ride. Sorry if my opinion sounds cold, but in my experiences, this isn't much of a problem at all.

I have to drive 1.5 hrs from the east bay to go to a game. I'd love to be able to drive 20-30 mins, park, and walk a half mile. I also requent games at Oracle, and take bart. The bart station is close to a half mile from the entrance to Oracle. It's a 10 min walk. Not a big deal.
Like I said in other posts. It's not about me or you having to walk, its the elderly and people with small children.

Oh and the capital corridor train should stop right at the arena. But I don't know if they will have return train for after the game.

This is funny. I was talking to someone the other day about this very same thing. I moved from California to Boston and was scared to death of public transportation. I recently moved back to Palo Alto for school and realized just how awesome the "T" was. I took the Redline everyday. $150 for an unlimited monthly pass! I spend that in a week with gas prices the way they are now.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm from Japan, both the oldest country in the world and also one of the most dependent on public transportation. You don't see hundred year old ladies with hunched backs and walkers complaining about having to walk two blocks to the train station.

If people have issues with the arena because they want to be able to drive and park right next to the arena as opposed to taking public transportation or parking a few blocks away, they're probably better served parking their car at the gym and whipping themselves into shape.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm from Japan, both the oldest country in the world and also one of the most dependent on public transportation. You don't see hundred year old ladies with hunched backs and walkers complaining about having to walk two blocks to the train station.

If people have issues with the arena because they want to be able to drive and park right next to the arena as opposed to taking public transportation or parking a few blocks away, they're probably better served parking their car at the gym and whipping themselves into shape.
And the Japanese also aren't eating extra large nachos with a liter of coke either. Of course there should parking spaces nearby for handicapped people, but a fair amount of people I see at sporting events could use the walk, and it will help burn off all the unhealthy crap eaten at the arena.

I'm kind of being a smart*** there. But aside from that, every time I go to a Raiders game, I park at least a half mile away, if not longer. Never thought twice about it. I guess it's a luxery we have here in the states, where everyone can afford a car, and the thought of having to walk to get somewhere is foreign.

And the Japanese also aren't eating extra large nachos with a liter of coke either. Of course there should parking spaces nearby for handicapped people, but a fair amount of people I see at sporting events could use the walk, and it will help burn off all the unhealthy crap eaten at the arena.

I'm kind of being a smart*** there. But aside from that, every time I go to a Raiders game, I park at least a half mile away, if not longer. Never thought twice about it. I guess it's a luxery we have here in the states, where everyone can afford a car, and the thought of having to walk to get somewhere is foreign.
Another problem with light rail is it will have to be upgraded. Right now only the gold or highway 50 path goes to the downtown station. It also currently stops a 9:30 pm and doesn't go all the way to folsom. That last train is 7 pm. So not only will the trains need to run later they will also need to have enough room on trains. The reality is the light rail isn't ready for an arena anyways.

Comparing sacramento public transportaion to new york, japan, even san francisco is assinine. The infrastructure is totally different. Sacramento light rail is very limited on where you can go. You cant even get to Cal Expo.