New arena cost revealed at near $400M

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Another problem with light rail is it will have to be upgraded. Right now only the gold or highway 50 path goes to the downtown station. It also currently stops a 9:30 pm and doesn't go all the way to folsom. That last train is 7 pm. So not only will the trains need to run later they will also need to have enough room on trains. The reality is the light rail isn't ready for an arena anyways.

Comparing sacramento public transportaion to new york, japan, even san francisco is assinine. The infrastructure is totally different. Sacramento light rail is very limited on where you can go. You cant even get to Cal Expo.
Or the airport. Or Arden Mall. Or Elk Grove. Or hospitals. Or many of the places people would actually like to go or have to visit where light rail would be, you know, useful.

Or the airport. Or Arden Mall. Or Elk Grove. Or hospitals. Or many of the places people would actually like to go or have to visit where light rail would be, you know, useful.
Last I heard expanding LTR to the airport was a big priority and it should be. But then they said it would take 8-9 years to complete whenever they got around to it and if they had funding.

Warhawk

Staff member
Last I heard expanding LTR to the airport was a big priority and it should be. But then they said it would take 8-9 years to complete whenever they got around to it and if they had funding.
I have done some preliminary work on the LR alignment at the airport. It is still pretty much on hold - we were told to not do any more work on it at this time. RT just has no funds right now and each rail segment they build has to be able to pay for itself at the time of construction in order to get matching funds. So they have to build MOS (minimum operating segments) in order to do it that way. Right now they are extending the line to Richards. After that it will likely be in small chunks and finally to the airport. With the funding problems RT has right now, it is going to be a lot longer than 10 years.

I always think big. I'm not sure most of the people in Sac do though. Hopefully that will start to change with a little civic pride after this modern arena is built and the railyards get jumping.

Football stadium for which city? Sac wouldn't even be considered for a team unless the Raiders or Niners left. I wouldn't mind a soccer stadium though. I wouldn't even mind if someone wanted to put some money behind Sac State athletics and promote our only D1 school in the city. The school is in a great position as far as location, television market, no direct competition and so on. Financial backing is the only thing Sac State lacks. Hmmm...sounds like a familiar trend in this city. Maybe the city could cut Sac State a break on a lease to play games at the new arena. With light rail access from campus to the arena, it would be an easy commute and another way to draw more business downtown.........Just thinking big....
Football for LA, not Sac.

I was just drawing a parallel to what AEG's development projects did for downtown LA and what they could do for Sacramento, if the city gets out of their way. Doesn't all have to be done at once, but over the next decade, you could have a nice entertainment hub, all starting with the basketball arena.

That right there is a big problem. Still effectively on the honor system. And that don't cut it.
Thing is is how do you police everyone to make sure pays? It costs alot to employ enough fare inspectors, and I believe there's only like 10 total, and at close to $20/hr 7 days a week, it probably costs more to employ them than the amount of money they lose by fare jumpers. There is a method to the madness and it isn't the method they're using now. Once the arena gets done, if light rail only runs till 8pm like it does now, then RT is REALLY dropping the ball on the whole situation.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Thing is is how do you police everyone to make sure pays? It costs alot to employ enough fare inspectors, and I believe there's only like 10 total, and at close to $20/hr 7 days a week, it probably costs more to employ them than the amount of money they lose by fare jumpers.
Solution= Automated turnstiles.

They could put some kind of bar code on the ticket and make you have to punch the ticket on the light rail to get in or something... Kind of like putting change in a bus, and have a door dealie thing that would not open until they scan it.

Warhawk

Staff member
Thing is is how do you police everyone to make sure pays? It costs alot to employ enough fare inspectors, and I believe there's only like 10 total, and at close to $20/hr 7 days a week, it probably costs more to employ them than the amount of money they lose by fare jumpers. There is a method to the madness and it isn't the method they're using now. Once the arena gets done, if light rail only runs till 8pm like it does now, then RT is REALLY dropping the ball on the whole situation.
In all fairness, sometimes the threat of being caught is enough. That is what they are shooting for.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
In all fairness, sometimes the threat of being caught is enough. That is what they are shooting for.
That's how it works here in Portland. The only time I've ever encountered fare inspectors was oddly enough on a bus. I think studies show that most people are indeed honest about these things and the cost of getting busted is just ridiculous.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/05/30/3663301/back-seat-driver-would-new-sacramento.html

As they rush to plan a new arena for the Sacramento Kings and major concerts, are city officials putting a long-planned downtown transit center at risk?

Plans unveiled last week for an 18,000-seat arena on city land behind the downtown depot have some transit advocates worried.

The drawings show the big oval-shaped arena plunked down right where the city is preparing to put a new train complex. It's as if the transit center had been squashed by a flying saucer.

Is there room to squeeze the arena and the transit project on the same site? If not, does the transit center go someplace else? Where?

City transportation head Jerry Way and Councilman Steve Cohn said they are not sounding the alarm but acknowledge the arena design poses serious questions about the future of the transit complex.

A new transit center in the railyard has long been one of the city's top priority civic projects. It would replace the current train depot, and include room for possible bullet trains in the future.

Transportation chief Way says the next 100 days will be crucial. That is when city and regional officials will look at details about how to build a sports and entertainment facility, including what it means for the transit center. "We'll drill into the details and see how we can shoehorn this in there."

An arena proposal last year indicated an arena and transit center could be merged into one joint-use building. That has worked in other cities, giving train and transit users easy access to the entertainment facility.

But the detailed drawings shown to city officials last week make no accommodations for a transit center. Developer David Taylor, one of the architects of the arena proposal, said his group and city officials are committed nevertheless to figuring out the transit center puzzle in the next few months.

A joint facility is possible, he said, but may be difficult because there are restrictions on the use of government transportation funds.

If the transit center doesn't fit on the site, the city may be forced to give an estimated $21 million or more in Measure A transportation sales tax funds back to regional authorities – at least temporarily.

The city was allocated that money to help buy the depot-area site to build the transit center.

The city, however, retains rights to that money. It can reclaim the funds, for instance, to buy another parcel of land for a transit center, officials say. But land options are limited.

On the plus side, the new arena, as drawn, melds well with plans for light rail. It's oriented so that a light-rail stop sits just outside the front door. That rail line would connect to North Sacramento, south Sacramento, Folsom, and possibly eventually to the airport, giving thousands of ticket buyers front-door service to concerts and ballgames.

More like how just about every major mass transit system does it.
Just about all but like PDX said, Portland has the honor system as well as Phoenix and LA. In L.A., it costs around $1.50 to ride one way but if you get caught not paying, the fine is well over $200. The county banks on more than 90% of the people not wanting to play the odds and if over 90% of the people who ride do actually pay, then the county and city figure that they're hitting all their revenue targets.

Also, the train operators get a pretty good head count of how many riders their respective train gets. The city and county add up that number then see how much money they collected and the number usually comes out to more than 90%. They figure that the cost and headache of installing a BART type system would cost more than the amount of money lost by people who don't pay the fare.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/05/30/3663301/back-seat-driver-would-new-sacramento.html

As they rush to plan a new arena for the Sacramento Kings and major concerts, are city officials putting a long-planned downtown transit center at risk?

Plans unveiled last week for an 18,000-seat arena on city land behind the downtown depot have some transit advocates worried.

The drawings show the big oval-shaped arena plunked down right where the city is preparing to put a new train complex. It's as if the transit center had been squashed by a flying saucer.

Is there room to squeeze the arena and the transit project on the same site? If not, does the transit center go someplace else? Where?

City transportation head Jerry Way and Councilman Steve Cohn said they are not sounding the alarm but acknowledge the arena design poses serious questions about the future of the transit complex.
Leave it to the Bee to publish an article that puts a negative angle on all the positive momentum that we've seen in the past few weeks.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
From what I remember, Seattle and Vancouver, BC are also honor systems (during the Olympics all transit was free if you held an event ticket that day so its possible they just opened up any turnstiles). All of the systems are either above ground or have significant portions that run above ground. I think that is a major reason that making turnstiles doesn't work and the cost of doing above ground has to be much less than digging underground tunnels. In Boston the green line T trains used to be free headed outbound as soon as they got above ground though I understand that has changed which probably makes getting on and off around BU and BC a big PITA.

As a hockey fan, one thing I highly wish for our new arena is to have the infrastructural capabilities to support a hockey team as well as a NBA team.. Sacramento is a good market for another professional team and I think it would support a NHL team quite nicely
ICON mentioned in their presentation that all the NHL arena guidelines were followed. So in short, your wish has been granted. :)

Construction costs are not going to be significantly lower at all on a project like this than any time in the recent past. At first glance, someone would say of course, construction is slow, so obviously the contractors will drop their prices because they all need the work. This is true to an extent, but not enough to make any discernible difference to the public.

As this project will be at least partially public funded, all the labor will be subject to prevailing wage rates, which is a predetermined wage rate negotiated for the most part between labor unions and the state. These rates include a certain amount of raise every year, which once again is predetermined, and will take effect no matter how good or bad the construction industry is doing at the time.

Material prices really aren't much lower, for the most part, than they have been in the past. In fact, metal prices are once again on the rise, which affects everything from copper wire to rebar to ductwork to the structural steel in building, and concrete is also on the rise again. Add to that the rising fuel costs and I would expect the material costs for this building to be as high as they have ever been, possibly barring acouple years at the peak of the boom. These suppliers have had plenty of time to adjust, and have just backed off their production in order to keep the prices as high or near as high as they have ever been.

So with not much chance of saving money in either labor or material costs, the only real way to save at all is by the contractor/subcontractors willing to lower their profit margins in order to get the job. The problem here is that this project will be huge, and there are only a limited number of companies in each phase of the construction that are able to do a job this big. Sort of an oligarchy if you will, and of these few companies able to do the work, these were exactly the business model that was hit the hardest by the construction slowdown, and where there were maybe 4 masonry contractors 6 years ago in Northern California that could handle a job like this, now there are probably only 2, and both of these guys need all the profit they can get, so you're not really going to see much savings here either. (This was just hypothetical, I'm not sure how much masonry will even be in the building, but its the same for most trades)

Bottom line here is that prices are always rising, and just because there are a bunch of out of work house framers around doesn't necessarily mean that anything will cost less.
Sorry to be replying to something posted weeks ago, but this is not true IMHO. Projects that I am involved with are ALL public money, and for the past several years the bid climate has been very, very favorable. At the beginning of this change in the bid climate, we had several projects that were estimated in the 25-50 million dollar range come in several million dollars lower than our construction estimates. If anyone is familiar with the new Sacramento Public Library in Natomas on the Inderkum HS campus, our estimates for that project were in the neighborhood of $25M, and it was awarded at $18M, and this was consistent with most projects that bid at this time. Since then, estimating has of course caught up with the bid climate, as is probably the case with this estimate by the ICON group. But that doesn't change the fact that it is still a good bid climate, and this number would have been much, much higher if this estimate had been prepared in 2005. Yes, costs for materials like copper are very high right now, and prevailing wage is what it is, but contractors are bidding very aggressively and distributors are quoting razor thin margins to get work.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Sorry to be replying to something posted weeks ago, but this is not true IMHO. Projects that I am involved with are ALL public money, and for the past several years the bid climate has been very, very favorable. At the beginning of this change in the bid climate, we had several projects that were estimated in the 25-50 million dollar range come in several million dollars lower than our construction estimates. If anyone is familiar with the new Sacramento Public Library in Natomas on the Inderkum HS campus, our estimates for that project were in the neighborhood of $25M, and it was awarded at $18M, and this was consistent with most projects that bid at this time. Since then, estimating has of course caught up with the bid climate, as is probably the case with this estimate by the ICON group. But that doesn't change the fact that it is still a good bid climate, and this number would have been much, much higher if this estimate had been prepared in 2005. Yes, costs for materials like copper are very high right now, and prevailing wage is what it is, but contractors are bidding very aggressively and distributors are quoting razor thin margins to get work.
This makes sense and is backed by some real numbers. Contractors have to keep their employees and with no work, they will leave. Contractors aren't making a lot of money but they are keeping their workers at a time when unemployment in Sacramento is quite high compared with the rest of the country.

On another note, I am surprised at no comment to the article I posted and especially this sentence as it seems to show the gist of the entire article:

Is this true? I find this amazingly difficult to believe. A mockup drawing is simply that - a mockup. The insinuation is that the intermodal and arena cannot exist together in the railyards. It goes against most of what has already been posted.

Warhawk

Staff member
Agreed. My father-in-law is an estimator for an earthwork contractor and he has been saying for a couple years now that the bids are tighter and tighter, with bids sometimes about 1/2 the preliminary estimates.

Is this true? I find this amazingly difficult to believe. A mockup drawing is simply that - a mockup. The insinuation is that the intermodal and arena cannot exist together in the railyards. It goes against most of what has already been posted.
When I see something like this is makes me think that Cohn and Way want to put their finger prints on this project in some way. The don't want it to fail. They want to say that they were instrumental in "saving" the transit complex in some way. Though I doubt that it really needs saving because the intermodal project is already extremely important to the city's future plans. Politics...

This makes sense and is backed by some real numbers. Contractors have to keep their employees and with no work, they will leave. Contractors aren't making a lot of money but they are keeping their workers at a time when unemployment in Sacramento is quite high compared with the rest of the country.

On another note, I am surprised at no comment to the article I posted and especially this sentence as it seems to show the gist of the entire article:

It's about as dumb as the council member for Natomas. If they Kings leave then Natomas and the RR terminal will be worse off then the Kings moving to the RR and taking the stations spot.

Natomas loses in both senarios, but the Kings leaving means the whole region is worse and reduces the chances of something being done with the old arena. If the Kings arent at the RR then who cares about a new station. It wont be a destination spot for entertainment.

Last edited:
Well they had sort of an ugly plan for the Train Station Depot anyway without the arena. The tracks are moving north and the station was going to stay right where it was. Replaced with some sort of odd plaza that nobody wanted or could figure out what was for other than to occupy your eyeballs while walking a block between the depot station and the raill platforms. It was another half good/half bad decision by the city. Good in that they decided to move the rail lines and platforms to make the best use of the available land. But bad in that they left the station behind. The intermodal station tag sort of disguised the whole thing by wasting the land in the middle waiting areas, bus stations and light rail stop. The whole idea is that the hub was the attraction. But just how attractive and busy was it going to be anyway?

The way I look at it, they can have the arena where it is and move the hub over to lot #40 across the street to the east of the arena. They can either move the train depot building as they should have decided to do a few years ago. Or they can build a new depot station and turn the existing one into retail/resturant. The city does not own lot 40. But they look like they are going to get paid some money for the land the arena is going on according to the ICON presentation. Perhaps that can be used to purchase the lot and get a new hub done in the best possible place.

For those curious about the move/no move options: http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/8066/Preservation_Commission_Approves_Depot_Plan

Last edited:
The issue is, that the site is the only land in the rail yards currently owned by the city. It has always been intended for the inter-modal hub and the rail road tracks are being moved to accomodate this, as we write.

To put the arena on another rail yard site, means adding in the cost of the land. Say somewhere between $15 to $20 million. Even if you wanted to move the inter-modal hub, instead,that still means buying more property from Inland.

The issue is, that the site is the only land in the rail yards currently owned by the city. It has always been intended for the inter-modal hub and the rail road tracks are being moved to accomodate this, as we write.

To put the arena on another rail yard site, means adding in the cost of the land. Say somewhere between $15 to $20 million. Even if you wanted to move the inter-modal hub, instead,that still means buying more property from Inland.
The $387 mil includes repayment of the land at around $1mil per acre.

Exactly what I have been saying in here. I work for the Feds and my projects have were coming in well below the estimate. They are still far lower than they would have been in 2005.

The contractors and suppliers working on projects funded with my Agency's money and ARRA funds are thrilled to have the work. The number of bids per project has been up, too. Highly competitive bidding.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Aha! I've been operating under a total misunderstanding of this area. Building out this area in a coordinated manner just got far more complicated in my mind. Always has been complicated but I didn't know it.