[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (TDOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
First round draft picks get guaranteed contracts for 2 years, and unless they increase the roster spots a team can carry that means someone loses a job. But best I can tell the PA doesn't seem keen on giving teams more 2-way contracts which would be the most logical thing to do when most second rounders wind up on them anyways.

Teams HATED straight to HS because for every LBJ there were 5 guys who flamed out before year 2. There were other guys that spent 4-5 years in basketball wilderness and were on their third or fourth team before they clicked. May as well be a second round pick type of crapshoot but FOMO and passing up a KG or Kobe was too much for them to resist.
how many players represent the players union?

how many players represent the players union?
My CBA just came up. I think we had 7 active represented employees on our side of the negotiating table and they constantly polled everyone (7000 members?) especially once we began working without contracts and striking entered the chat.

As far as I'm aware every active player is in the player's association. I'm sure some fringe hangers on hoping for a 10 day are still in the union (those people are potentially the biggest losers here along with guys on 2-way deals, etc).

I don't have all the details on membership beyond that but was able to find that in 2020, former president Chris Paul said that 90% of the players had registered for the upcoming vote. It doesn't seem to be a passive unit at the present time. Currently CJ McCollum is the president, there are 7 VPs, and our own Harrison Barnes is secretary-treasurer.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
My CBA just came up. I think we had 7 active represented employees on our side of the negotiating table and they constantly polled everyone (7000 members?) especially once we began working without contracts and striking entered the chat.

As far as I'm aware every active player is in the player's association. I'm sure some fringe hangers on hoping for a 10 day are still in the union (those people are potentially the biggest losers here along with guys on 2-way deals, etc).

I don't have all the details on membership beyond that but was able to find that in 2020, former president Chris Paul said that 90% of the players had registered for the upcoming vote. It doesn't seem to be a passive unit at the present time. Currently CJ McCollum is the president, there are 7 VPs, and our own Harrison Barnes is secretary-treasurer.
7 VPs seems like a bit too much, don't you think?

7 VPs seems like a bit too much, don't you think?
It looks like there is a "first VP" and a President who are elected to 4 year terms and then 2 each elected every year on 3 year terms. This is a similar structure to the board of directors type of some groups I've been a member of. Additionally every team has a rep. So only the President and 7 VPs are directly involved with the league president and the executive operations of the PA it looks like. It makes sense that they'd be elected to shorter terms on an annual basis just to insure immediate needs are met without completely throwing off the long term goals of the org with lengthier terms.

It's a lot but also they have jobs and lives.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It looks like there is a "first VP" and a President who are elected to 4 year terms and then 2 each elected every year on 3 year terms. This is a similar structure to the board of directors type of some groups I've been a member of. Additionally every team has a rep. So only the President and 7 VPs are directly involved with the league president and the executive operations of the PA it looks like. It makes sense that they'd be elected to shorter terms on an annual basis just to insure immediate needs are met without completely throwing off the long term goals of the org with lengthier terms.

It's a lot but also they have jobs and lives.
are there any former players involved or does it apply on to active players?

are there any former players involved or does it apply on to active players?
There are non-elected executive positions but I do not believe they are currently held by former players. From what I gather the VPs must be active players under full contract. Which is probably another reason they have the terms/number they do. More representation of different guys at different stages and markets.

There is a separate org for alumni who handles bulk licensing and stuff for things like the 2k games and other NBA product, but it doesn't represent all players.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
There are non-elected executive positions but I do not believe they are currently held by former players. From what I gather the VPs must be active players under full contract. Which is probably another reason they have the terms/number they do. More representation of different guys at different stages and markets.

There is a separate org for alumni who handles bulk licensing and stuff for things like the 2k games and other NBA product, but it doesn't represent all players.
what year was the union first assembled?

man, I love college basketball and the Pac. I was sorta surprised when Fultz became the all around consensus #1 and it really wasn't close, but I think I bought into the hype too. Poor dude. I will admit I am glad he busted for Philly, but it'd have been nice to see him turn it around in Orlando.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
man, I love college basketball and the Pac. I was sorta surprised when Fultz became the all around consensus #1 and it really wasn't close, but I think I bought into the hype too. Poor dude. I will admit I am glad he busted for Philly, but it'd have been nice to see him turn it around in Orlando.
Orlando has the worst luck with their prospects

Serbian media is reporting that Poku is now weighing 210 pounds it over for the NBA. With Belly now gone to Europe just based on this information he is the new Kings of the Balkans (Jokic/Doncic/Bogdanovic x2 have no chance now)

Status
Not open for further replies.