[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (TDOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
i guess nobody in US follows the eurobasket, not even hard core b'ball fans...
I think the time difference/lack of legal viewing options makes it difficult for a lot of American fans to get into Eurobasket. I’ve made a conceited effort to try to watch some games but I live in Japan and work weird hours.

Also from a Kings perspective, I think there’s some FIBA Bogi trauma (spending all summer looking like the second best player in Europe only to come into the NBA season too tired and beat up to play well) keeping fans from really getting too attached to what’s going on here one way or another.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ge-to-18-cba-negotiations-ongoing-per-report/

This doesn't warrant its own thread -- yet -- but the NBA is likely to remove the one-and-done rule in the near future, creating a coveted one-year "double draft". Opinions are mixed as to when this might happen, but there is some speculation it could be in 2024...and if the double draft is in 2024, that would be an absolute disaster for the Kings.

Actually think the one and done is beneficial for these kids now to get an extra year of development/strength training to work on their bodies in essentially what is a pro program with how much money these college basketball teams have. My only contention was they couldn't make any money, but all the top guys can get sweet NIL deals now. Not really going to be looking forward to the insanely raw high school kids struggling to gain traction with the talent jump.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Actually think the one and done is beneficial for these kids now to get an extra year of development/strength training to work on their bodies in essentially what is a pro program with how much money these college basketball teams have. My only contention was they couldn't make any money, but all the top guys can get sweet NIL deals now. Not really going to be looking forward to the insanely raw high school kids struggling to gain traction with the talent jump.
The thing about the one-and-done rule going away this time around is that the G-League has increasingly shown itself to be a good talent development system so the league could do something like say that any 18-year-old draftee has to spend a year in the G-League or something like that (unfortunately not every NBA team has its own G-League squad for some reason so it couldn't be a straight 1-to-1 option).

It would add an element of the baseball farm system to the league while still propping up the NCAA as an option for prospects (NIL deals + higher national profile versus a year riding Southwest airlines and getting 20 buck per diems for barely watched YouTube streams).

The thing about the one-and-done rule going away this time around is that the G-League has increasingly shown itself to be a good talent development system so the league could do something like say that any 18-year-old draftee has to spend a year in the G-League or something like that (unfortunately not every NBA team has its own G-League squad for some reason so it couldn't be a straight 1-to-1 option).

It would add an element of the baseball farm system to the league while still propping up the NCAA as an option for prospects (NIL deals + higher national profile versus a year riding Southwest airlines and getting 20 buck per diems for barely watched YouTube streams).
Could NBA teams pay a small sum and loan them out to like European teams (not elite Euro teams) where they would be guaranteed playing time it could boost interest in these middle of the road Euro teams and give valuable experience to the players drafted. The G league just seems like awful basketball not in terms of talent because that is still high but in the way they play seems more like a pick up league than real basketball.

Like teams that have recently been promoted to the 1st league's of Europe (Marc Gasol's club in Spain) signed a few young players from the ABA and Spain with NBA potential (Mara/Prkacin), these clubs would love that level of talent imo that has been drafted to the NBA.

Most organizations where high ranking employees enter consensual relationships require legal disclosures as CYAs in the event a nasty breakup leads to claims of impropriety or that they were non-consensual. Some orgs that claim higher standards just forbid it outright from recognition that when certain power dynamics at play blur the lines of consent. It was common in some sports teams for the team to forbid players from sleeping with cheerleaders (others strangely encouraged it).

As currently reported I don't think we're missing anything here other than in the orgs view Ime put the team at financial risk had things gone sideways.

For the life of me I don't understand why the players union is driving the end to one and done when it actually seems like it would benefit the current players to have less competition for jobs. The double draft will likely mean a dozen or more players find themselves out of one last contract.

What am I missing?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
For the life of me I don't understand why the players union is driving the end to one and done when it actually seems like it would benefit the current players to have less competition for jobs. The double draft will likely mean a dozen or more players find themselves out of one last contract.

What am I missing?
ultimately who gets the final say on these decisions? is it the players union or the ownership groups?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
ultimately who gets the final say on these decisions? is it the players union or the ownership groups?
It is collectively bargained. But PDX has the same fundamental question that I always have. The players' union (i.e. people who are already NBA players) does not seem to have a particular incentive to induce the NBA to shift the demographic of NBA players younger. It only puts them out of jobs earlier. I always thought that the players union, knowing that the NBA opposed drafting players out of high school, took the opposite position so that they could "concede" it during negotiations and get something else in return. But no, they appear to really want it. I don't get it, frankly.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It is collectively bargained. But PDX has the same fundamental question that I always have. The players' union (i.e. people who are already NBA players) does not seem to have a particular incentive to induce the NBA to shift the demographic of NBA players younger. It only puts them out of jobs earlier. I always thought that the players union, knowing that the NBA opposed drafting players out of high school, took the opposite position so that they could "concede" it during negotiations and get something else in return. But no, they appear to really want it. I don't get it, frankly.
I don't see many high schoolers putting anyone out of a job as they enter the league so this could simply be a good gesture on the players part and passing the torch over or a combination of the union feeling that going to college and not getting compensated versus going to the pros out of high school and getting some type of compensation sits better

I don't see many high schoolers putting anyone out of a job as they enter the league so this could simply be a good gesture on the players part and passing the torch over or a combination of the union feeling that going to college and not getting compensated versus going to the pros out of high school and getting some type of compensation sits better
First round draft picks get guaranteed contracts for 2 years, and unless they increase the roster spots a team can carry that means someone loses a job. But best I can tell the PA doesn't seem keen on giving teams more 2-way contracts which would be the most logical thing to do when most second rounders wind up on them anyways.

Teams HATED straight to HS because for every LBJ there were 5 guys who flamed out before year 2. There were other guys that spent 4-5 years in basketball wilderness and were on their third or fourth team before they clicked. May as well be a second round pick type of crapshoot but FOMO and passing up a KG or Kobe was too much for them to resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.