[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (MAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well, Sierra Mist was made with sugar. Slice (and presumably Starry) were/are made with HFCS. Teem was before my time; that's some TIL s**t, to me.
Oh, it was before my time too (or, technically, I don't remember ever seeing it). But there it was on wikipedia, making my point even stronger.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
AKA one of the many forms of sugar just under a different name
There is a subtle difference in flavor between HFCS and cane sugar. In general (perhaps not exclusively) I prefer cane sugar in sodas, but it is not very commonly found in the U.S. My TIL is that Sierra Mist switched to cane sugar a few years ago. I never realized, or I would have given it a try.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
There is a subtle difference in flavor between HFCS and cane sugar. In general (perhaps not exclusively) I prefer cane sugar in sodas, but it is not very commonly found in the U.S. My TIL is that Sierra Mist switched to cane sugar a few years ago. I never realized, or I would have given it a try.
how long has that drink been in existence?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
PepsiCo's repeated failures in capturing a segment of the lemon-lime market will never stop being funny to me.

Teem? Fails.
Slice? Fails.
Sierra Mist? Fails.
I know, let's try again!
I very rarely drink soda, so who knows if I'll ever even try Starry, but I will say that the branding/color scheme is much better than Sierra Mist. Or Slice for that matter.

Back when I was teaching high school one of my students from Nigeria said that the Coke was better there. I never got a conclusive answer, but someone told me that it wasn't cost effective to make or ship HFCS so they used cane sugar for Coke in Africa. Makes sense. Again, I'm not a big soda drinker, but having tried Mexican Coke, it is a noticeable improvement IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.