Monarchs V. Seattle

I don't want to complain, but I have never seen a team get more calls than Seattle. More than LA if you can believe that. They are extremely phyical inside but if you come with a foot of their players the whistle Blows.

I saw it when they were in Sac too.

But we are only down by only 11 points. Fortunately...
We should consder ourselves lucky that our entire front line isn't in foul trouble.

This would be a great game to have a comback victory.

Let's Go Ladies

Minnesota Lynx have had a few games were they were called for caughing. It's been ugly. Sac is down60-68 with 3:30 left, keep going at LJ with her 5 fouls. Monarchs NEED to start making their bunnies. c'Mon Monarchs.

Damn...

Well it was a good finish for the Storm

Here is something rather telling. Monarchs took 16 free throws.
Janel Burse to 13 free throws.

Now we missed 6 free throws which will drive Mama Bristow Crazy, but the Seattle Rules are really starting to bother me.
Lauren jackson is good enough without giving her free shots at the basket.

Nicole looked good though. If she got away from Double clutching she would really be in business. But she stepped up to the challenge.
Yo had got to be exausted. She missed some point blank numbers that she should have made.
And Miss Maiga had a nice game. She had 12 but she could have easily gone for 20.

Man this team loses by 13, without DeMya and Kara. I wanted to get the W. But things could be alot worse.

Let go to Minny and Please no injuries....

I only got to hear a few minutes of the game. Looking at the box score, we were out-rebounded and the defense must have broken down because Seattle shot almost 53%. Looks like it was a good offensive game for Chelsea, Nicole and Maiga. Ticha also had 5 fouls. I don't know when she got those or how much of a factor that was. Anyone listen with a break-down of what went wrong? With a red-eye flight tonight and bags packed for three potential play-off sights, hopefully they re-group and re-focus.

P.S. What the @#$%! was wrong with Betty Lennox on the post-game show?

Betty????

Can someone tell me about this Betty thing. It is the second time I have heard about it.
What she is mad because Nicole accidently elbowed her?

Give me a break.

The Storm are really starting to bother me with that. No one is suppose to touch them while they are putting on their Shooting display I guess. So can I get the 411 about what Betty had to say?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Yeah, I would like to know what she said as well. The Storm are a very physical team when it comes to hooking and laying across people's back, so I would love to hear about them whining when someone touches them. :rolleyes:

I think we all better get used to it. Because I believe that the Monarchs are headed for another showdown with Seattle in the WCF. This excites me and infuriates me all in one. When these two teams play it is always very good basketball. But the Storm cry with the best of them. They get more help than Ray Charles walking down the street. Their fans are also so smugged and full of themselves. I missed the Lennox interview but I know Koz and Krista was not happy after the fact. It takes a lot for Koz to seriously be miffed, and he was after that.

Anyway, no injuries on Saturday is what we can hope. And i still do not want to deal with the Sparks in Round 1. But unfortunately, it looks like that is what is going to happen.

Purple Reign said:
I think we all better get used to it. Because I believe that the Monarchs are headed for another showdown with Seattle in the WCF. This excites me and infuriates me all in one. When these two teams play it is always very good basketball. But the Storm cry with the best of them. They get more help than Ray Charles walking down the street. Their fans are also so smugged and full of themselves. I missed the Lennox interview but I know Koz and Krista was not happy after the fact. It takes a lot for Koz to seriously be miffed, and he was after that.

Anyway, no injuries on Saturday is what we can hope. And i still do not want to deal with the Sparks in Round 1. But unfortunately, it looks like that is what is going to happen.
Being a Seattle STH wearing a Monarchs jersey last night at The Key, I take exception to that remark. I'm sure there are some Seattle fans that are smug and full of themselves, but, please, don't smear every Storm fan. Thank you.

:)

Man, I really gotta pay more attention...something happened in their post game interview?!?

Considering that we were without Kara, I'll take the deficit they finished with because they have played much much worse up in Seattle. I only got to see the 2nd half of the game, although I could hear the first half, and it looked like the M's shots just weren't dropping last night - not that they were particularly well defensed because the Storm is not exactly know for its defensive prowess or preventing other teams from scoring. The Monarchs just could not make shots and obviously could not rebound.

The defense did appear to break down quite a bit because the Storm had quite a few layup drills throughout the game. This defense is not particularly strong on the perimeter anyway, but when the Storm is shooting well from the floor generally, they can really wreak havoc on this defense.

Of all the teams the M's could meet in the first round, LA was the one I was VERY sure I hoped they did not see because where LA was when the M's last saw them, they needed to get WHITE hot to get in, and thems usually the types of teams one never wants to see coming in to a series. Houston's going to need to buckle down and beat LA so that they can hold them off for that 3rd spot. I'm not that high on seeing Houston in the first round, but if the Comets and Sparks want to flip flop, I'd consider that the lesser of two "I don't wanna see..."s

NWFan said:
Being a Seattle STH wearing a Monarchs jersey last night at The Key, I take exception to that remark. I'm sure there are some Seattle fans that are smug and full of themselves, but, please, don't smear every Storm fan. Thank you.

:)
I'm very sorry for the slight. I am assuming you are a Storm and a Monarch fan? I only go by what I read http://stormfans.org/ Those fans on that site makes my blood boil. I appreciate their passion, but they give nobody any credit except their precious "LJ" and "Birdy". And after last year's debaucle up in Seattle, I have had a little "attitude" against them sense. Now Lennox is trying to rise up. It makes no sense.

I have to give the Seattle commentators on Fox Northwest credit last night. I don't know the guy's name, but Mary Murphy seemed to be pretty balanced.

Purple Reign closed off with:
...I have to give the Seattle commentators on Fox Northwest credit last night. I don't know the guy's name, but Mary Murphy seemed to be pretty balanced.

Maybe it's because Mary once coached the Monarchs! She was the M's first Coach and General Manager in 1997. In 2000 to 2003, she did TV and radio play-by-play for the now-defunct Miami Sol WNBA team.

As for the other guy...is it Jim Watson?

Purple Reign said:
I'm very sorry for the slight. I am assuming you are a Storm and a Monarch fan? I only go by what I read http://stormfans.org/ Those fans on that site makes my blood boil. I appreciate their passion, but they give nobody any credit except their precious "LJ" and "Birdy". And after last year's debaucle up in Seattle, I have had a little "attitude" against them sense. Now Lennox is trying to rise up. It makes no sense.

I have to give the Seattle commentators on Fox Northwest credit last night. I don't know the guy's name, but Mary Murphy seemed to be pretty balanced.
No worries. :) You're passionate about your team (rightfully so) and I understand where you're coming from.

Yes, the Storm and the Monarchs are my favorite teams! It's weird for me, being at the Key, when the Storm are playing the Monarchs. I always feel stuck - like watching both of your kids play against one another. I end up cheering for both.

I had fun with my normal STH's in my area last night. They, of course, ribbed me big time for wearing a Monarchs jersey (good naturedly, though). But, I stood my ground. ;)

As for Stormfans.org - the old school crew there are a weird bunch. Even though I post there, they aren't the friendliest of people. A very clique-ish group of fans. Should Seattle meet Sac in the conference finals, I'm sure a contingent of them will come down to Arco. If I make the trip, I can tell you one thing, I won't be sitting with them.

Yes, it's Jim Watson and Mary Murphy. Mary does a nice job color commentating for the Storm games up here. I enjoy her broadcasts.

Glad I am not alone

You know as far as fans go we are a pretty good bunch.

We are extremely friendly to opposing teams. We cheer and admire good basketball even if the other team plays it.

The Deanna Nolan block on Ticha was insane. The whole arena oooo and ahhh-ed.
I have friend who are StormFans... And well...
I'm Sorry
They stepped over the line when they called Nicole a Thug.

They lose all credibilty for anything else they say now. One inadvertant Elbow and now the Monarchs are thugs.

I was watching the game when Kara got injury. And Missed the next 2 Games. My first thought wasn't that Diana hurt her. My first thought was damn she got hurt.

And lets face facts... Betty got called for a foul on the play. If she doesn't want to get elbowed, don't try and guard someone 6 inches taller than you.

Can a sista get a WTF for the Phantom Foul fro Sue Bird at the end of the Half?
And here is the thing...

Some Storm Fans will take this to the extreme. And they are gonna be really unruly to Nicole. And it won't be just for the play-offs it will be from now on. And that ain't cool.

But then they want to walk into Acro and expect us to Roll out the Welcome mat for them. I think we should try to sell out the bottom level, if for no other reason so they have to be in the 200 section.

They show their Butts to Nicole, we ought to be equally aggressive. No more love at Arco to them. I am so sick of this team and our fans getting disrespected.

So now Betty is mad... She is gonna bring it? Ohhh I'm shakin...

I am tired of actin like we are not the Best Team in the West.
We have sustained Excellence all year long. Seattle was in the Tank for the first part of the Season. And if Minny hadn't had a total and complete collapse it may be a different story.

So I wish them luck. I hope they get the Comets in the first round and I hope they win. Lets have another Shoot out for the Western Conference Championship. Of course I am assuming we win the first round match up.

We are the Team to Beat Dag-nabit.
I hope neither Nicole or any other Monarchs entertain this nonsense. All about stirring up controversy before the play-offs.
If this is what the Storm needs to get pumped up for the play-offs, fine.

But being mad cuts both ways... The Storm is as good as they are gonna be. We aren't... Do they really want to wake that sleeping giant?

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan....I really feel out of the loop. Nicole is a thug? Glad I'm straight on that now... That's what was up with Betty Lennox (which I'm apparently equally out of the loop on...) and so the fans are in on this too?

M's seem to have remained business-like on this whatever this is...they've got their eye on something bigger. M's also sound to me like they at least know they are the team to beat, while respectfully noting that until the reigning champs go down, they too may have a word or two to say about things.

If Seattle fans, Betty Lennox, Doppler for that matter wanna bring it? Then I say, y'all advance out of your round, and we'll advance out of ours and we'll settle things at ARCO. If they need to reach back to that to get up, so be it. But there's a whole lotta basketball between now and then and both teams would be served well to handle the business at hand. Reading the M's quotes this morning, it seems as though the team in the traveling purple is very locked in right now.

Listen to the Jim Kozimor "Showgram Tonight

If you are in listening distance. I am sure Koz will straighten out the Betty Lennox comments for those who did not hear.

:eek: Oh, I am sorry....tonight is Raider football on 1140 so there is no Koz show.

Well Miss Luv13, I think you know how I feel about this lil' topic! A bunch of crapola if I've ever heard of some!

So Nicole Powell is some sort of thug now? For accidentally popping Betty in the face after being fouled by Betty! Not to mention the fact that Lennox happens to be 5-8 and Nicole is 6-2. We see this all the time when a smaller defender is on someone, sometimes they catch an elbow. We don't go calling Margo Dydek a thug just because she accidentally clips people. But Seattle fans have now made some sort of villain out of Nicole and the rest of her "thug" teammates! :rolleyes:

Sue Bird wasn't even close to being fouled on that first-half-ending AND1. But that call was the perfect example of how things went for the Monarchs last night.

And that Betty Lennox fiasco on the radio show sure tells me a thing or two about the character of that team. There is not one Monarch who would act like that. Even if we get blown out, nobody on our team ever acts like that. Anne Donovan is a class act, maybe her team should follow her lead.

That's one thing about the Monarchs, I never worry about being embarrassed by their comments or actions. When they win they are humble, and when they lose they take blame. No cop out excuses. They don't blame their injuries or the refs. They are a great reflection of Coach Whiz's attitude. Nothing but class.

Lennox No Class Act

MamaBristow said:
And that Betty Lennox fiasco on the radio show sure tells me a thing or two about the character of that team. There is not one Monarch who would act like that. Even if we get blown out, nobody on our team ever acts like that. Anne Donovan is a class act, maybe her team should follow her lead.
Amen MamaBristow. I heard the post-game interview, and thought the same thing. Lennox's comment was arrogant and rude, something to the effect that the Monarchs had better be glad she wasn't in the game after getting the elbow, because she was "burned up". She said she knew it wasn't an accident. Not exactly a class act there. And her tone of voice more than the actual words was the disturbing part. She never once looked them in the eye during the interview supposedly. Ummm, who's the thug?

Last edited:

Exactly...

Betty Does a Lot of barking, But the reality is Nicole is 6'2 and she is not a light weight.
Don't let the Stanford Degree fool you.
If she was swinging with intent Betty would be out a game or two.

The way I see it, our Ladies shouldn't say a thing, until we get on the court. Talk with performance.

All this other stuff is window dressing. In fact we shouldn't even devote any more time to it. It ain't worth it and Betty ain't worth it.

And Mama Bristow... My Girl Liquey Bear says she got your back.

slugking50 said:
i missed the lennox interview(as well as the game) Can somebody fill me in with some detail?
I wish I had a transcript of it. I wasn't really paying much attention because the opposing player interviews usually have the format of: comment on your play - compliment other team - props to your team - optomism about the future. Koz and Krista said something about how it must be nice to be back playing and mentioned getting hit in the nose/face. Betty responded with something to the effect that it was a good thing they took her out of the game or she would have put a hurt of Sacramento (not her exact words, but clear meaning of retribution). I think it really took Koz and Krista by surprise. They said something like "I guess this interview of over". They were both upset - especially Krista - and they later remarked that when Betty came over for the interview, she never looked at them, always looked down. There was something about the headset, but I didn't catch it. The point is it was very chidish and classless. I recall an article early in the season where Betty and Sue had to be separated during a game.

I am not going to hate Seattle because of one player's behavior, just like I'm not going to judge all the Seattle fans by a few ignorant ones. I would hope that true team fans would want to see what I want to see - two teams, at full strength and healthy, battling hard and may the best team win. There is no place in this sport for thugs and for thug fans. I think it hurts the team and the league. I would hope that Anne Donovan and the league would take appropriate action, unless this is the image they want to convey, and I seriously doubt that.

I think Betty is just super frustrated because of her injuries.

She wants to take it out on us. I wouldn't be surprised if she see's very little playing time in the Storms last game today vs. Phoenix. That is gonna be an all out war, since the Merc. are playing for their playoff lives! So if Ms. Betty thought Powelle was rough...wait till Taurasi & Kamila get to town today...Ha.
I'm gonna enjoy this one!
For one i'm very pleased to see the Monarchs being aggressive. I agree we just have to play our style & Defense is our game.

One of the few Detroit Highlights when they played us.

Ticha was driving to the Basket against Nolan and she threw Ticha's shot into the Cheap seats. It was beautiful. We ooooo-ed.

But they Lost by 40 so the joke is on Deanna.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Okay, but how is that comment relevant to this thread? I mean, I'm reading a discussion about the Monarchs and Storm, and I see a comment about Nolan blocking Penichiero's shot, and my first reaction was, "when did Seattle sign Deanna Nolan?" The comment seems to be rather out-of-left-field.

Read it in context...
I was saying that Monarchs fans admire good basketball.
That is why it is relavant.
The example was the Deanna Nolan Block of Ticha.

We know the difference between good basketball and something else.
As oppose to Some Storm Fans...
I made the comparison to Kara getting hurt also...

Here is the entire quote.
You know as far as fans go we are a pretty good bunch.

We are extremely friendly to opposing teams. We cheer and admire good basketball even if the other team plays it.

The Deanna Nolan block on Ticha was insane. The whole arena oooo and ahhh-ed.
I have friend who are StormFans... And well...
I'm Sorry
They stepped over the line when they called Nicole a Thug.

They lose all credibilty for anything else they say now. One inadvertant Elbow and now the Monarchs are thugs.

I was watching the game when Kara got injury. And Missed the next 2 Games. My first thought wasn't that Diana hurt her. My first thought was damn she got hurt.

And lets face facts... Betty got called for a foul on the play. If she doesn't want to get elbowed, don't try and guard someone 6 inches taller than you.

I hope that clarifies the statement.

Still JD said:
I wish I had a transcript of it. I wasn't really paying much attention because the opposing player interviews usually have the format of: comment on your play - compliment other team - props to your team - optomism about the future. Koz and Krista said something about how it must be nice to be back playing and mentioned getting hit in the nose/face. Betty responded with something to the effect that it was a good thing they took her out of the game or she would have put a hurt of Sacramento (not her exact words, but clear meaning of retribution). I think it really took Koz and Krista by surprise. They said something like "I guess this interview of over". They were both upset - especially Krista - and they later remarked that when Betty came over for the interview, she never looked at them, always looked down. There was something about the headset, but I didn't catch it. The point is it was very chidish and classless. I recall an article early in the season where Betty and Sue had to be separated during a game.

I am not going to hate Seattle because of one player's behavior, just like I'm not going to judge all the Seattle fans by a few ignorant ones. I would hope that true team fans would want to see what I want to see - two teams, at full strength and healthy, battling hard and may the best team win. There is no place in this sport for thugs and for thug fans. I think it hurts the team and the league. I would hope that Anne Donovan and the league would take appropriate action, unless this is the image they want to convey, and I seriously doubt that.

Thanks JD I appreciate it. Wish i could've heard it.

OMG...they replayed that bit from the Q&A with Lennox during the pregame for Saturday's game...Krista's reaction to Lennox insinuating as JD notes that had she stayed in the game she would have retaliated against somebody was CLASSIC!!! Krista clearly had no intent to let the interview go on after that bomb was dropped, what was almost better was the clip they played of coach T's reaction to Lennox' statement.