Miller to Miami?

It is a question mark, but he has been playing fine for a while now. It seems to be a bigger problem for athletes when it happens later in a career, when they are less able to heal. Younger athletes seem to be responding much better to microfracture, although it obviously is still something you worry a little about. Don't forget our own Spencer Hawes has already had microfracture surgery himself.
You missed the point. Amare is the first success case. The question is how long does it last?

The last part from the quote, Unlike hyaline cartilage, fibrocartilage does not have the same strength and resiliency of cartilage normally found in a joint. Therefore, there is a chance that the cartilage stimulated by a microfracture procedure will not stand up over time.

It's not about how he is doing now, but how will he be doing in 3 years? 5 years? He's 26 now and entering his prime.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You missed the point. Amare is the first success case. The question is how long does it last?

The last part from the quote, Unlike hyaline cartilage, fibrocartilage does not have the same strength and resiliency of cartilage normally found in a joint. Therefore, there is a chance that the cartilage stimulated by a microfracture procedure will not stand up over time.

It's not about how he is doing now, but how will he be doing in 3 years? 5 years? He's 26 now and entering his prime.
Doug Christie had it early in his career and never had a problem the rest of his career. A lot of it has to do with youth and also a players weight. The more weight pounding on those knee's, the more likely they will become a problem. Thats why I would put more money on Hawes having a long career than Oden. Its not a perfect science though.

Doug Christie had it early in his career and never had a problem the rest of his career. A lot of it has to do with youth and also a players weight. The more weight pounding on those knee's, the more likely they will become a problem. Thats why I would put more money on Hawes having a long career than Oden. Its not a perfect science though.
Beat me to it. Yes, Doug had it while he was still at Pepperdine, so his entire NBA career was post microfracture surgery. Youth and the severity of the problem are part of it, but apparently has to do with the location they have to drill, too. More to the side of the bone is better than more on the end of the bone (like Webber). Or something like that. I read an article explaining it at the time Amare had his.

Last edited:
I agree about the weight. But Amare is not like Doug Christie. Big difference in body types and Amare relies much more on his athleticism.

I'd be delighted to pick up Marion's contract for Brad and KT. I'd also be willing to make that Brad and Mikki, or even Brad and Salmons. The Maloofs would undoubtedly like to cut costs. We'd be making room for younger players. And it doesn't seem TOO far fetched.

But the Amare things sounds like a pipe dream to me.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree about the weight. But Amare is not like Doug Christie. Big difference in body types and Amare relies much more on his athleticism.
Ummm, I would say that Doug's biggest asset was his athleticism. As far as body types, yeah, Amare is a tad bigger than Christie.

From the least reliable source of Internet, but it's still interesting:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=76

I'm certain the Bulls would make that trade, but I believe the Kings are close to a deal with Miami for Marion
Jeff in Miami FL:
Miami is 4W 1L since inserting a mediocre center in the lineup (Joel Antony) who good can the Heat be with a legitimate center like Brad Miller?
Bill Ingram:
Yeah, they're a sure playoff team with Miller, and I've heard the Kings are in discussions about that very move right now.
Otis in :
kings are close to getting marion? I see why the kings trade miller, but marion is going to create a log jam at SF. salmons has been playing good, of course marion is better, but he wont be around next year
Bill Ingram:
It's being discussed . . .not saying it happens. For the Kings it's all about the ending contract, nothing else.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=78
The Kings are not in a hurry to make a deal... Brad is a good mentor for Spencer Hawes, the Kings are playing some interesting basketball and business will get done once the Kings get all the available offers... I really do not try and do the "cook up a deal" thing, because it just starts additional stuff that clouds the waters... I can say there is a standing offer with Miami for Kenny Thomas and Brand Miller - the question is does Sac pull the trigger for just marion or hold out for something more elesewhere.
2)What's the latest on Marion? When? Where?
- Seem inevitable... when is up to the HEAT... where seems like Sacramento.

3)Is SacTown really in the mix for Marion? &
- They have talked, Sacramento is not sold on what direction they want to go and Brad is a good team guy there is nothing lossed in not trading him - the question becomes what do you gain in trading him.
The Brad Miller+Kenny Thomas for Shawn Marion deal looks great if we don't have to take Marcus Banks. I still think the more realistic trade between Sacramento and Miami is Miller/Jackson for Marion, I don't see Miami taking Kenny Thomas. Hope I'm wrong :D.

If there truly is a trade that would bring that much cap relief after this season, I can't see how we can pass on it. Add KT to the deal, and our prayers are answered.

I wouldn't get too excited about any of this. You know we never hear about Petrie's trades before they happen.
Exactly. Usually when we start talking about a certain player on our team being traded it ends up happening, but never with the teams that everyone is talking about for some reason. I sit here and think to myself WHY NOT WALLACE AND FELTON FOR MILLER AND SALMONS??? But theres more to it than just pulling the trigger. Realistically we will probably trade Miller for next to nothing but money and maby a late pick.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Kings Plus: Only a matter of time before it will be Brad Miller's turn to depart

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/1472273.html

Brad Miller sat beneath the backboard at the Kings' practice facility Wednesday, chatting with veteran Mikki Moore while watching a floor full of youngsters at play.
Even with the previous night's win over the Lakers, the 7-footer wasn't eager to chat with a small group of media. He shrugged as reporters approached, then announced he preferred to do interviews on a monthly basis this season.
"There's all kinds of young guys out here with stories to tell," he groaned. "You don't want to talk to me."

more....

I generally like brad miller. He will always be a king in my mind .. the best PC ( point center ) in the league, but it is deffenetly time to move on. Im on the get boozer train for this offseason.

There's also some speculation here (probably the source is as reliable as Hoopsworld :p):

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2008/12/13/brad-miller/
It’s a thought we had last week, and I’ve been hearing that Donnie Walsh is trying a last ditch effort to move Stephon Marbury in a 2-for-1 deal.

Add to the fact that Steph is thinking West Coast, it seems that the pieces are in place to move his deal to the Kings and bring back Brad Miller.
The idea is the same than the Marion trade: Miller and Thomas (maybe with Douby, the Knicks have some interest) for a big expiring contract.

I really do think that Miller will not be a King after the trade deadline, but I also think that he will be traded to a team in the East contending for a playoff spot (similar to the Bibby trade).

I actually think Charlotte might rather cut Miami out and do that deal directly with the Kings. They need center and wing help more than they need another power forward.
True, but they could also value the cap space this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if Brown wants a reunion with Sheed--if he's still coaching in Charlotte next year, of course.

I'd prefer not to take on Marbury. I want to see us pull the trigger on that Marion deal. While Martin's out we could start Marion/Salmons, keeping John's trade value high. Then we deal Salmons for a PG or picks/expiring contract.

It'd be nice if we could move Marion to another team, and maybe get some future assets for him. Just a straight up salary dump from Miami doesn't make much sense.

It'd be nice if we could move Marion to another team, and maybe get some future assets for him. Just a straight up salary dump from Miami doesn't make much sense.
I don't believe any team other than the Kings will have the cap space to sign Marion outright unless he really takes a pay reduction. That leave two options; 1. If the reduce price is decent, the Kings should have Bird Rights and could resign him. 2. Sign & Trade, where another team has to give us some talent or picks to make us take on one of their players to make the deal. Which would really have to be good for us to use our cap space. Could be a very interesting time.;)

1. Re-signing Marion would be a devastating move for a rebuiding franchise period. He serves absolutely no use for us, he's too old to be valuable as a player.
2. Rarely do sign and trades ever end up with an ideal package, we'd not only need to get contracts that ended by 2010 but picks and/or prospects. I doubt we'll get a package that good in a sign and trade.

1. Re-signing Marion would be a devastating move for a rebuiding franchise period. He serves absolutely no use for us, he's too old to be valuable as a player.
2. Rarely do sign and trades ever end up with an ideal package, we'd not only need to get contracts that ended by 2010 but picks and/or prospects. I doubt we'll get a package that good in a sign and trade.
I agree about resigning Marion, just pointing out the options if no one else has the cap space to sign him. And, I haven't check to see if anyone would have that much cap space, just an observation.

On the 2nd point, we wouldn't be force to make a sign & trade, so if someone really really really wanted Marion, the would have to give us an exceptional deal including talent and draft picks.

Just in the Heat lost to the Bucks 98-83. Miami's centers had 2pts and 9 rebounds in 42min.:eek: Marion was 15 & 5 on 6 or 9 shooting in 41mins.

I don't think the Heat can make the playoffs with that kind of center production.:D

I don't think anyone is going to be that desperate for Marion, especially with the hype over the 2010 free agent class. I wouldn't depend on a sign and trade producing a quality rebuilding package. That's why I'm hesitant on just getting Marion in return, It would be better if a third team is involved but that would make it very complicated and harder to pull off. I think Miami's first rounder is tied up by being possibly available to Minny.

Last edited:
Just in the Heat lost to the Bucks 98-83. Miami's centers had 2pts and 9 rebounds in 42min.:eek: Marion was 15 & 5 on 6 or 9 shooting in 41mins.

I don't think the Heat can make the playoffs with that kind of center production.:D
I agree actually. They start a guy that I never even heard of, and I'm quite familiar with most NBA players, superstars to bench warmers. Not that Miller is outplaying this guy recently though.. (Anthony had a double double a few nights ago)