Michael Porter Jr

For those who belive in Grant having inside info and selling the team line, Grant repeatedly said today that he thinks it is between Doncic and Bagley. Last week, he kept saying it was Porter if everything went well with the eval/workout. To me, that is the clearest signal that the Kings are cooling on Porter.
He said his guy tells him it's between Bagley and Porter when I was listening today

It’s weird I say stuff like this about doncic and I get banned from that thread. I guess you better like whomever vf21 likes. Been here almost 20 years I have never seen kings fans like this. If you don’t share the opinion of a mod they delete your post and kick you from thread about a draftee during the week of the draft
The Doncic hysteria is over the top on this board. Worse than Rubio even. Really made the lead up to the draft a bit disappointing... There were so many prosects in play but 90% of the board only wanted to talk about the one guy from Europe.

Fraud is a strong word but I'm beginning to agree with you there. His hype seems fraudulent for sure. It comes from people who say they have scouted him for years but I've yet to see any sort of evidence of this produced in a fair manner.
The hype is not fraudulent. The hype is out there. Whether it is deserved is another issue. When I use this term, I am referring to his non performance in three games at Missouri then shortly thereafter declaring himself the best player in the draft. He's unhealthy and physically ill-equipped to play in the NBA. I previously outlined how if he truly believed in his talent he would dominate the NCAA next year and be a Top 3 pick in the 2019 draft. He would be more prepared to take the step up and he would make up for the lost year of earnings and then some. In my view he's going for a cash grab as damaged goods and may never reclaim his athleticism before he got hurt. His hunched posture is cause for concern too. He doesn't even stand up straight. It is in this context I say he is a fraud. He wants to be a Top 5 pick without earning his way there.

The Doncic hysteria is over the top on this board. Worse than Rubio even. Really made the lead up to the draft a bit disappointing... There were so many prosects in play but 90% of the board only wanted to talk about the one guy from Europe.
Can you really blame people though? That pick was almost 9 years ago and we are just as bad now as we were then. Makes a ton of sense that Kings fans in particular would like to spend their best draft pick since 1989 choosing the best player with the least amount of risk.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It’s weird I say stuff like this about doncic and I get banned from that thread. I guess you better like whomever vf21 likes. Been here almost 20 years I have never seen kings fans like this. If you don’t share the opinion of a mod they delete your post and kick you from thread about a draftee during the week of the draft
I wasn't the mod who took the action so guess again. You were kicked from that thread because of your repeated and continued refusal to let the whole "Euro's aren't good enough" scenario go. (Capt.'s edit: *I* booted you from that thread, for the exact reasons that VF21 articulates here. It had nothing to do with your skepticism of Doncic, to which you are entitled, and everything to do with your persistence in generic Euro-bashing in the face of multiple mod requests to stop.)

What I DID do is delete a thread you started in which you attempted to go back to your same old refrain. This was explained to you in a PM. If you want to discuss it further, I can do that but you're not going to continue to hijack threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

This is patently untrue. Look at all the threads dedicated to players other than Luka. LOTS of discussion. What isn't going to be allowed is some of the commentary that resorts to derision based on ethnicity, race, nationality, etc. If that bothers you, I don't know what to tell you. We have a global team and, as pretty obvious by a different thread, we have global fans. NOBODY is going to violate our rules and demean a player or a fan and get away with it.

Further discussion can be done via PM or not at all.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I mean discussion in a positive way lol, this thread is a smeer piece
I disagree on the "smeer" piece part. People are passionate about their choices and, for the most part, even the most passionate have managed to have decent arguments even when they patently disagree. Concerns about Porter are valid for the most part. Because so much rides on this draft pick, emotions are higher than usual and we've got a lot of people back who haven't been posting for several years.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That is interesting. He was very dismissive of Porter just before 5:00 pm, and was talking Doncic and Bagley. Typical Grant- he’s got all his bases covered. You can’t be wrong if you have occupied every possible position on the subject.
Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we have a winner!

I disagree on the "smeer" piece part. People are passionate about their choices and, for the most part, even the most passionate have managed to have decent arguments even when they patently disagree. Concerns about Porter are valid for the most part. Because so much rides on this draft pick, emotions are higher than usual and we've got a lot of people back who haven't been posting for several years.
I think it's safe to safe this board will lose their collective minds if mpj is the pick. He's everyone's "nightmare" pick. Would be great if he comes in an wins roy right away.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think it's safe to safe this board will lose their collective minds if mpj is the pick. He's everyone's "nightmare" pick. Would be great if he comes in an wins roy right away.
I can't speak for anyone else, but he's my nightmare pick primarily because of his injury and then his inability to get out of bed. Those are flares I cannot ignore. We're the Kings, where players break their legs while practicing against chairs (Brad Miller), break their hand tripping over a moving box when they first arrive (Greg Ostertag), sustain a lingering injury when they retrieve a ball wedged against the backboard (Francisco Garcia), sustain an injury when a medicine ball they're exercising with explodes (also Francisco Garcia) etc. Bringing in someone with a 10% chance of further problems because of a medical procedure just seems like spitting in the face of fate.

The hype is not fraudulent. The hype is out there. Whether it is deserved is another issue. When I use this term, I am referring to his non performance in three games at Missouri then shortly thereafter declaring himself the best player in the draft. He's unhealthy and physically ill-equipped to play in the NBA. I previously outlined how if he truly believed in his talent he would dominate the NCAA next year and be a Top 3 pick in the 2019 draft. He would be more prepared to take the step up and he would make up for the lost year of earnings and then some. In my view he's going for a cash grab as damaged goods and may never reclaim his athleticism before he got hurt. His hunched posture is cause for concern too. He doesn't even stand up straight. It is in this context I say he is a fraud. He wants to be a Top 5 pick without earning his way there.
Haha, I thought you were talking about Doncic when you were talking about hype. In my opinion, I think Doncic will be a bust. I will gladly be proven wrong as I hate to see any kid bust.

I just don’t see the explosion and burst to be successful. I see a kid using step backs to make space at the Euro level. Longer athletic players are going to eat him up. His max elevation is getting his hand above the rim. Makes him easier to block because the downward trajectory doesn’t happen fast enough. Lastly he’s not a Markennan, Porzingis, Bogdan level shooter.

Porter may never get there due to injury but if healthy he has a chance. I don’t see much upside with Luka.

If MPJ is really as good a shooter as some people say he is, then I can see the infatuation. A 6'-11" guy who is lights out from deep and can drain contested shots effortlessly, while not exactly the next KD, is still a big time talent.

The question is: is he really that good a shooter? There is just not enough sample size for me to say one way or another.

And then there's the back injury, which is a deal breaker for me.

But if this is the pick, it means the Kings has done due diligence and the medical checks out; in that case I can get behind it and I don't think it's that bad a pick if he stays healthy and lives up to his buckets getting way.

If MPJ is really as good a shooter as some people say he is, then I can see the infatuation. A 6'-11" guy who is lights out from deep and can drain contested shots effortlessly, while not exactly the next KD, is still a big time talent.

The question is: is he really that good a shooter? There is just not enough sample size for me to say one way or another.

But if this is the pick, it means the Kings has done due diligence and the medical checks out; in that case I can get behind it and I don't think it's that bad a pick if he stays healthy and lives up to his buckets getting way.
He’s really a good shooter. Been a knock down shooter sense 7th grade. It’s better then a lot of NBA guys. In Missouri people considered him a better prospect then Jayson Tatum. Beal was big in Missouri, but Porter Jr Still considered bigger.

Fraud is a strong word but I'm beginning to agree with you there. His hype seems fraudulent for sure. It comes from people who say they have scouted him for years but I've yet to see any sort of evidence of this produced in a fair manner.

I question the kids IQ. Not his basketball IQ but his IQ in general. You've got the team picking #2 in the draft all over you and you cancel your big meet and greet and workout because of a sore hip? A sore hip that you claim wasn't really that bad but you wanted to take a couple days off to rest it? Either one of two things happened. His hip was really sore and he was unable to workout...which leads you to believe he's still very injury prone (sore hip from what, shooting over chairs?). Or....he is a prima donna that potentially cost himself a few million dollars because he didn't want it tough it out and work through some soreness. He had the #2 team drooling all over him and he more than likely threw it all away for whatever reason. I'm glad he did because I don't want anything to do with him but he just seems sketchy as hell to me. I'd stay far far away.
There are numerous fans here who claim to have great scouting ability. It's well received for more casual fans of the game who don't scout prospects, but given the levels of arrogance that some posters approach the draft with, it may be fun to actually keep a record of who said what (for those willing to participate). That way, you know who you should take with a large pinch of salt the next time the draft comes around, no matter how much they claim to have watched the prospects. All in good fun and spirit of course. Problem with the current forum setup is that we can't search for threads so it's quite hard to dig out old records. Maybe if such a thread can be stickied?

Just being 6’11 and a shooter is fine for you?

Last edited:
There are numerous fans here who claim to have great scouting ability. It's well received for more casual fans of the game who don't scout prospects, but given the levels of arrogance that some posters approach the draft with, it may be fun to actually keep a record of who said what (for those willing to participate). That way, you know who you should take with a large pinch of salt the next time the draft comes around, no matter how much they claim to have watched the prospects. All in good fun and spirit of course. Problem with the current forum setup is that we can't search for threads so it's quite hard to dig out old records. Maybe if such a thread can be stickied?
For 3 Years?

He’s really a good shooter. Been a knock down shooter sense 7th grade. It’s better then a lot of NBA guys. In Missouri people considered him a better prospect then Jayson Tatum. Beal was big in Missouri, but Porter Jr Still considered bigger.
It's an honor to have MPJ writing on our forum! :eek:

But I agree with you. You... well, MPJ is bigger then Beal. Beal is only 6'-5".

Entity

Hall of Famer
I wasn't the mod who took the action so guess again. You were kicked from that thread because of your repeated and continued refusal to let the whole "Euro's aren't good enough" scenario go. (Capt.'s edit: *I* booted you from that thread, for the exact reasons that VF21 articulates here. It had nothing to do with your skepticism of Doncic, to which you are entitled, and everything to do with your persistence in generic Euro-bashing in the face of multiple mod requests to stop.)

What I DID do is delete a thread you started in which you attempted to go back to your same old refrain. This was explained to you in a PM. If you want to discuss it further, I can do that but you're not going to continue to hijack threads.
i wasn't Euro bashing as a person. i was league bashing. mostly because of the washed up americans playing in it. believe it or not in todays America everything is not as racist as people make out. but out of the fear of PC what i say gets turned into it.

i wasn't Euro bashing as a person. i was league bashing. mostly because of the washed up americans playing in it. believe it or not in todays America everything is not as racist as people make out. but out of the fear of PC what i say gets turned into it.
Whether they are washed up NBA players or not, they are still better than 99% of the NCAA. It's amazing that you can't grasp this. Euroleague is without a doubt a higher standard overall than NCAA. There is no valid argument against this from people who watch both. Unfortunately you seem to think you know more than everyone despite not actually being knowledgeable about it.

If Euroleague was as poor a standard as you're making out, then all these ex-NBA players would be dominant in Europe. Except they're not. Some of them can't even get consistent minutes on mediocre European teams.

Let's make something very clear. Your lack of understanding and conviction of belief on a topic does not equate to your opinion having any validity whatsoever.

And this has nothing to do with whether Doncic will be good or not. That's a separate discussion.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Whether they are washed up NBA players or not, they are still better than 99% of the NCAA. It's amazing that you can't grasp this. Euroleague is without a doubt a higher standard overall than NCAA. There is no valid argument against this from people who watch both. Unfortunately you seem to think you know more than everyone despite not actually being knowledgeable about it.

If Euroleague was as poor a standard as you're making out, then all these ex-NBA players would be dominant in Europe. Except they're not. Some of them can't even get consistent minutes on mediocre European teams.

Let's make something very clear. Your lack of understanding and conviction of belief on a topic does not equate to your opinion having any validity whatsoever.

And this has nothing to do with whether Doncic will be good or not. That's a separate discussion.
that i understand. but don't act like im saying anything about just because they are Euro. thats what i am saying now. but to your point i have never compared to NCAA at all. my argument is vs NBA. you can read all my post on the subject and I dare you to find where i said NCAA is better. my coparisons have been how they do in the NBA. some actually think Doncic is gonna come in and avg 15/5/5 as a rookie.

Doubt they'd let us do that since it would turn into a big 'I told you so' argument but a lot of the people here will freely admit when they're wrong.

I'm very anti MPJ but if the Kings picked him I would gladly trade being wrong for his success here.

I've been on an island here plenty of times. I argued for Isaiah Thomas for quite some time when the board turned on him while he was still here. I was one of the few who thought Tatum was going to be really good while many here thought he was at best a bad Carmelo clone. I think Lonzo Ball is going to be a lot better than people think and I'd also trade Fox if I could get good value for him because I don't see him becoming a premier point guard in this league. That last one makes people really angry lol.

On the flip side, I've been wrong plenty as well. I thought McLemore and TRob would be really good when we drafted them. Everyone here always exercises patience but I would have traded TRob after his first summer league stint and McLemore a month into his NBA career. Didn't realize how small TRob looked compared to NBA power forwards and McLemore just didn't look like a basketball player to me. Should have traded McLemore in the same manner that we traded TRob because we would have gotten something decent for him back then. I think people are way too patient when it comes to basketball players. Yeah some of them take a few years to develop but they usually show flashes of greatness while they're learning their way as a young player. Usually you just wind up riding a player out until their value drops and then you trade them for a bag of potato chips. If I don't see the "it" factor right away, I'd rather trade them away and get some decent value because I bet you'd be able to land 2-3 good players for every 1 player you trade away too early.

Last edited: