Michael Porter Jr

I remember Lebron was very high on McLemore. That didn’t turn out very well, did it?

Players are just what they are. Players. They are not scouts, GMs, talent evaluators. Just because they are good at playing this game doesn’t mean they know everything about it. That’s why not every player becomes a coach or a GM.
So Lebron is your only example?

I've made my objections to MPJ known but I get why conceptually he appeals to the Kings beyond the "Vivek is obsessed with the Warriors and he's been compared to KD" narrative.

If Vlade believes in the young guys he's drafted and traded for that are still on the roster (Cauley-Stein, Hield, Bogdanovic, Fox, Giles and to a lesser extent Skal, Mason, and Jackson) then Porter is a good fit.

He would potentially give the team a go-to scorer, provide Fox with an athletic shooter to kick out to or run the pick & roll or pick & pop with and he can be used in a big or small lineup.

Cauley-Stein
Giles
Porter Jr
Bogdanovic
Fox

Or

Cauley-Stein/Giles
Porter Jr
Bogdanovic
Hield
Fox

Doncic fits similarly but is not the same type of aggressive scorer or athlete. He's more of a playmaker and not (on paper at least) the same kind of fit with Fox and Bogdanovic since all three need the ball.

My issue is that I didn't love MPJs tape before the injury and I question his scoring ability at the NBA level. Add in the injury risk and it's a hard pass from me. But I understand.

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't do them often at all, but I saw that there's a lot of negativity around MPJ. Many who don't see why he should be considered as the #2 overall prospect. Those clips should alleviate some fears about him.

I love draft time and evaluating prospects. I think it has something to do with the Kings always being in the lottery lol
Who then is your top 3?

Bottom line about Porter? There is a 10% chance he will have future problems with his back. The only question is do you take that chance?
If there was a big drop-off in talent after Ayton and Porter, then I'd pick Porter, given the 10% chance of the future injury. But I think Bagley has All Star talent and he doesn't have a back injury problem. If Porter's gets another back injury and this pick goes down the tubes it could set the franchise back years. We don't even get a #1 pick next year. I'd take Bagley and sleep better at night.

If there was a big drop-off in talent after Ayton and Porter, then I'd pick Porter, given the 10% chance of the future injury. But I think Bagley has All Star talent and he doesn't have a back injury problem. If Porter's gets another back injury and this pick goes down the tubes it could set the franchise back years. We don't even get a #1 pick next year. I'd take Bagley and sleep better at night.
And how are you judging your 10% chance of future injury? Have you seen his medical reports?

From the studies I've read, surgical methods and the nature of his rehab are much more significant factors in determining chances for re-injury. I think the 10% number is right in the heart of the curve for re-injury odds in general.
Seems like teams are thinking the same. But what I dont get: Didnt he already had an reoccuring injury? I mean he couldnt get out of bed and had to cancel his workout because of his hip. Thats the same diagnosis they first gave him when they misdiagnosed his back. If this was regular season he would have missed his first games. Sure, the MRI came back clean, but he didnt even play a very demanding NBA game nor practice yet.

Well, if MPJ wants to fake an injury and Chicago wants him so bad (they are not going to get him at #7), maybe we can swing a deal for #2 MPJ for Chicago's #7, #22 (or a future 1st) and Lauri Markarren, then we draft Wendel Carter (we have him for a private workout) or Mikal Bridges at #7. ;)
Passing on Luka Doncic would be the dumbest thing the Kings have done in franchise history.

And no offense, but that's saying something considering the Kings have done some ridiculous things throughout their franchise existence. (So have the Suns of course)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Are you talking in terms of top 3 best players or top 3 mock draft? Because both are two different things.
Both really. Despite Bamba showing he has ridiculous length and Jaren Jackson being a really really good prospect, it's really always been some combo of Ayton/Luka/Bagley since Bagley got himself reclassified last summer.

Both really. Despite Bamba showing he has ridiculous length and Jaren Jackson being a really really good prospect, it's really always been some combo of Ayton/Luka/Bagley since Bagley got himself reclassified last summer.
To be fair, the top three when Bagley reclassified was Doncic, Bagley and then either Porter or Ayton. Porter was the consensus #2 HS recruit (#1 when Bagley was class of 2018) though a few places already had Ayton above him for draft purposes. The big question with Ayton (that was only partially answered at Arizona) was about his motor.

The two guys who rose up the boards most from last fall to now were Trae Young and the JJJ. And Porter dropped of course from not playing any meaningful college minutes and undergoing surgery.

Last edited:
The more I look at Bagley the more I like him. He played well in big games and is clearly competitive. You can’t find a Buffalo with him. In this league willingness to compete is important.
I can't get fully on board with Bagley. I've tried but just don't love his skills or his length. He probably falls somewhere between a Kenneth Faried and a Blake Griffin. He'll be a good player just not the type of player I'm hoping we draft. But could easily be wrong on him. I'd just rather jjj or Bamba.

I can't get fully on board with Bagley. I've tried but just don't love his skills or his length. He probably falls somewhere between a Kenneth Faried and a Blake Griffin. He'll be a good player just not the type of player I'm hoping we draft. But could easily be wrong on him. I'd just rather jjj or Bamba.
I think Bagley is the guy. And yeah he is all about effort and potential

Yes, me too. I don’t know why exactly but he’s the prospect that scares me the most. I’d rather take a gamble with MPJ. At least here I can see the “superstar” potential if everything goes well (very huge “if”).
There’s no specific reason why I don’t like Bagley, just personal feeling. Of course I hope to be completely wrong if he’s the pick.

I'v
I have Porter Jr 4th overall on my Kings draft board. I'm not really an advocate for him at #2, but this is why I would be perfectly fine with the pick assuming the FO is 100% comfortable with his back. I am confident in their medical team. I mentioned a bit ago that I think Harry Giles will play a huge role in whether or not they'll pick MPJ. The Kings have already taken in an injured-ridden player. They've gone through all the motions with him. MPJ's back is not as bad as Giles' knees are, but they would know exactly what to expect when dealing with MPJ. Is this a risk they want to take? Is this something they're comfortable with handling? Here is his surgery explained by a surgeon who has a very positive outlook on it. Getting past all this, let's talk framework.

MPJ measured at nearly 6'11 with a 7'0.25 wingspan and 9'.05" standing reach. Exceptional size for a SF, and good for a PF. He's lighter at 211lbs, but part of that is due to his Microdiscectomy. Because of his surgery and recovery period, he wasn't able to add strength throughout his freshman year. Lots of people question his defensive stance and bend. He's very upright and doesn't get low enough despite his agility. MPJ says he injured his back during his sophomore year of HS going up for a dunk where he landed on it. It just built up over time(as mentioned in the article). Since then, he's always had some discomfort in his back and as a result, he claims that's the reason for his upright defensive stance. I've heard a lot of nonsense with people questioning his athleticism. Would an athletic player be able to do this or dunk from near the FT line? You'll see more clips of his explosiveness below. Well let's get to his offensive potential which is the biggest reason why the Kings could be considering him at #2.

Shooting Ability (click the links)
He's 6'11 with a beautiful stroke. The arc and touch is very good. It's the most appealing skillset from him. He can be a legitimate PnP threat.
-catch and shoot 3pt
-Highly contested 3pt shot
-Highly contested 3pt shot
-PnP 3pt
-PnP 3pt

Shooting Variety
He's comfortable in getting off his shots in a variety of ways as shown below
-Pull up 3
-Hang dribble 3, very rare dribble for a player his size. He's able to create separation quite well on his 3pt shots
-Pull back 3
-Can use a series of jabs and headfakes for 3pt shot
(I didn't provide a clip, but he shows a developing post fade away shot)

Ball Handling,
His ball handling is a work in progress right now. He prefers the baseline drive, but I think he explodes decent for his size. Needs to improvement, but flashes the necessary potential
https://streamable.com/qdrkp
https://streamable.com/aiw67
https://streamable.com/p7ber

Transition
MPJ excels in transition. He runs the floor very well in the open court and understands situations
-Explosive transition dunk
-Runs very well without the ball
-Go-ahead dunk
-Transition lob
-Transition dunk

Transition Ball Handler, despite his developing handles in the half-court, MPJ is a very comfortable ball handler in the open court.
-Full-court attack with an explosive finish
-Full-court attack
-Handles the ball in transition gets inside, and kicks it out to a 3pt shooter
-Grabs the ball in transition and passes it ahead
-Gets the steal and attacks ahead

Off-ball movements, contrary to popular belief, MPJ does NOT need the ball in his hands to be effective. He moves well without the ball and finds ways to put it inside the basket.
-Off-ball cut inside
-Off-ball cut inside
-Cut along the baseline
-Moves well during the in-bound to get a catch n shoot

Offense board crashes, he's not the most physical player, but he does a nice job attacking the glass when he's in position
-Put back dunk
-Follow up dunk
-Tip-in

You have an athletic 6'11 SF/PF with amazing scoring instincts. He can shoot the ball in almost every situation. He finds ways to create space despite his lack of advanced handles. Contrary to popular belief, he does not need the ball in his hands to score. He finds ways to get open whether through PnP, running off screens, or cutting inside. He's a lob threat due to his vertical. He also does a solid job attacking the offensive glass when he's in position to. He's a big threat in transition whether it's running with with a full head of steam, or running the transition itself. His ball handling is a work in progress, but give me another 19/20yearold 6'11 Forward who can run a fast break the way Michael can. Or another 6'11 Forward who can create space for his jumpshot the way Michael can. On top of all of this, he's a very good shooter. He's got a great scoring mentality and never gets fazed. Full confidence in himself. He might not be the most vocal or emotional player on the court, but he knows he doesn't have to be because his game speaks for himself. That's just the type of confidence he has, similar to KD in that sense.

The only people who are disappointed in MPJ as a healthy prospect are the ones who have not seen him at all, and they automatically expect him to be a Paul George "do it all" type of SF. So when they have this idea of Paul George in their heads, they get disappointed when they see MPJ. That's just not the type of SF he is. It's like having never watched Buddy Hield, but thinking he is comparable to James Harden. THEN being disappointed at Hield for playing nothing like Harden. I thought DX did a great job in their draft breakdown on him where they basically showed what type of player he was.

MPJ's talent is undeniable. Again, 6'11 SFs with good athleticism, good shooting, and good scoring instincts just don't grow on trees. His skillset and entire frameowrk is why he was considered the #1 prospect before the start of the season. This is why you continually have teams like the Kings, Grizzlies, Dallas, Bulls, and Knicks all interested in him.
I'm curious how you rank the top 5 on your board. who is 1-3?