Miami vs. Detroit - Conf. Finals

Chauncey now with 5 fouls, to go with his 5 made field goals (out of 17 shots). Mr. Big Shot not living up to his nickname to this point.

107-99 with 1:16 left in the game, Pistons basketball, but Sheed can't convert.

Chauncey fouls Shaq on the rebound to send him to the line, but doesn't foul out as that's only his 5th (my bad).

Shaq goes one of two from the line, then Ben (?) misses a three on the next possession. 108-99 Heat with Damon Jones going to the line. Pretty much game over now for the Pistons.

AriesMar27 said:
poor pistons.... but at least they arent the suns....
They'll be alright they were down against indiana too. This game was poorly coached IMO. I like larry but he did some ish tonight that left me scratching my head.

Just_Lurkin said:
They'll be alright they were down against indiana too. This game was poorly coached IMO. I like larry but he did some ish tonight that left me scratching my head.
This is Miami, they actually like to get into transition and have some guys to fall back on when they get into the halfcourt. I don't expect Detroit to win 3 in a row like they did to the Pacers, where they held Indiana to 74ppg in those games.

Kev.in said:
This is Miami, they actually like to get into transition and have some guys to fall back on when they get into the halfcourt. I don't expect Detroit to win 3 in a row like they did to the Pacers, where they held Indiana to 74ppg in those games.
Who expected LA to win 4 in a row against SA last year either? In any case, Detroit doesn't have to win three in a row. I expect it to go to seven, but in the end detroit will win.

Just_Lurkin said:
Who expected LA to win 4 in a row against SA last year either? In any case, Detroit doesn't have to win three in a row. I expect it to go to seven, but in the end detroit will win.
I expect Detroit to win 3 in a row. I think in their minds they are thinking 2 at home, 1 on the road and not 1 at home, 2 on the road for how they are going to get their next 3 wins. No Rasheed guarantee for game 4 YET but I think they will come out and destroy Miami in game 4 and carry it on through game 5 and close it out at home for game 6.

I think Detroit needs to pull their heads out the........clouds :) and start playing Detroit basketball. There free throws were terrible. Gosh darnit, you get paid millions-MAKE YOUR FREE THROWS. We needed more from the starting 5 last night. The refs. are also making this hard for Detroit. I honestly think the refs are not going to allow the Pistons to win this series. It's a business-and it's all about Shaq and Wade right now. You can see it in the commentary. The PISTONS are the definding champs, and yet everything is about the HEAT. It is sickening.

Its definitly going back to Miami tied at 2-2... if anyone things Miami straight up beat Detroit they are wrong. Did Detroit play any defense? No... just look at the score... What wins Detroit games? Their defense.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
What wins Detroit games? Their defense.
Actually, I think what wins Detroit games is when Detroit scores more points than their opponents which is made easier when their defense is playing well.

;)

VF21 said:
Actually, I think what wins Detroit games is when Detroit scores more points than their opponents which is made easier when their defense is playing well.

;)
Oh im sorry... I was wrong... I guess the ball has to go in your basket more than theirs to win... defense or no defense. But like you said... they defense makes it a little easier.

Game 4

Pistons up 6 with a minute left in the first quarter, and Shaq is sitting with 2 fouls (conspiracy theorists can begin talking right now). Detroit playing with very good energy. Did 'Sheed guarantee a victory in this game?

Thats exactly what I've been wondering the past 2 days. I didnt hear him guarantee one but we all know he probably did, just not publicly. Defense looks better than game 3 but if Shaq didnt have those fouls it may be a different story.

Shaq now with 3 fouls in the second quarter (and Alonzo has two fouls). Pistons with a 5 point lead after a 12-3 Miami run. 4 minutes left in the second quarter.

Miami outscoring Detroit by 8 so far in the 3rd quarter. 2:30 left in the quarter, Pistons up 6. Shaq on the bench with 4 fouls for the rest of the 3rd quarter (presumably).

4cwebb said:
Pistons up 10 heading into the 4th. Shaq has logged 17 total minutes of court time through the first 36 due to foul trouble.
He's probably happy about that. He looks like a slug. I think this Shaquille is the Shaquille that Buss was afraid to pay.

Nikos said:
No way Shaq is remotely healthy right now. If he was, the Pistons would probably be getting ready to go back to Miami down 3-1.
Years of poor conditioning. The Big Injury. He looks much much worse than he did in the 03 Spurs series, which is hard to do.

Shaq's physical drop off the past few years is sad to see. It seems like just yesterday when he'd seal off Vlade, they'd swing the ball to Fox in the corner and then Shaq would spin, catch the alley-oop and finish it in one motion. Now he's out there without any lift on his jump hooks, stumbling when he turns to the middle and everything.

Kev.in said:
Shaq's physical drop off the past few years is sad to see. It seems like just yesterday when he'd seal off Vlade, they'd swing the ball to Fox in the corner and then Shaq would spin, catch the alley-oop and finish it in one motion. Now he's out there without any lift on his jump hooks, stumbling when he turns to the middle and everything.
Toes and calves. That's what it boils down to. He's had recurrent calf strains over the past few years and his toe condition had never improved 100%. I think those issues have affected his lift moreso than the deep bruise he has now. He started losing his lift and explosiveness noticeably in 2002/03. By last year, he couldn't hit one of his baseline turnarounds to save his life. His so-called chippies started clanking with regularity that year, mostly short.

Gargamel said:
Years of poor conditioning. The Big Injury. He looks much much worse than he did in the 03 Spurs series, which is hard to do.
He still put up humungous numbers in the past without being in shape, in the playoffs. Even against the Spurs. Right now his numbers flat out suck. No comparison really. He is much worse now then he ever was in previous playoffs.

Nikos said:
He still put up humungous numbers in the past without being in shape, in the playoffs. Even against the Spurs. Right now his numbers flat out suck. No comparison really. He is much worse now then he ever was in previous playoffs.
That's because he's 33 now, 13th season, 14 if you count the playoff games. Even Nique started losing his spring at age 33.

Boy haven't the tables turned? A lot of people had him as MVP not too long ago and now he's a slug (BTW please don't insult slugs like that, they are God's creatures after all)

Looks like Pistons got this one.