Mavs @ Kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
13 games to go - Kings still "right there" - where ever that might be. Season is winding down and every game count. No "gimmies" for any team these days and especially not for the Kings. I am pretty sure that even if we win only 4 more games - we would still make it. For the 5 spot - we need 8. Will not be easy. I hope for the "full cooperation" of our opponents too. ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kings developing into a solid .500 team these days. Considering the trades and the injuries - ther is just not enough talent at the moment for more. Luckly .500 will be enough to keep us in the post season.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
RA got his 700 - finally. Did a good job too - especially letting Ostertag play. Even if the "lack of choice" was the reason for it - it does not matter. The man's job is not easy anymore because the talent that he had over the years is not there anymore. You add the injuries and it gets really messy sometimes. The team is still alive and still responding - which has to be credited to RA big time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watched Mavs - Warriors game last night. Makes You wonder why things sometimes happen the way they do. GS lost a game shooting 2-23 from "down town" Those were mostly open shots too. (Dallas doesn't play D either)
Last couple times - they played us - GS hit 12 & 14 threes in those 2 games. Go figure. We seam to always bring the best in the opponent. That sucks.
Last game was as "easy" as we can get these days. It did not involve any kind of "buzzer beater" - saved us some nerves (which we might lose tonight). Very solid performance against a bad team with the exception of perimeter defense which once again sucked big time. I was kinda wondering - if we are ever gonig to do something about it. Also I was wondering wheather Joel Przybilla would be a legitimate MVP candidate if he would face the Kings 82 times per season?
Tonight's game is a very important one on many levels. We need any win we can get. We need to show ourselves and the Mavs that we can beat them. We can use a "winning streak." It is a HOME game too. Mavs are very solid team. Very good on the road. Referees seam to like them too. (if You think that I am exaggerating - think back to our last home game vs Mavs ). We need to win tonight. We need everybody there from the tip off. Mavs play back to back and if we jump early on the - might make it easier - or not.
We need to attack them because they suck inside defensively as much as we suck guarding the back court. I do not remember when was the last time when Mike and Pedja played well at the same time. Tonight would be a good time. Please!
Mike - defense, defense and once again defense. Is not shooting well but he always has streches where he dominates the game ofensively. Would be nice if those streches were longer but considerin his millage this season - how much more can we ask ?
Pedja - consistently inconsistant. Time to put 2 good games together. We need him to put 2 good games together. I am sure he would like to put 2 good games together. Can he really do it ? I would not dare to predict that - these days. Also he went for a lose ball in the last game. Considering what happened - do You really want to see that again ? ;)
Mobley - we can surely use some of his good shooting tonight.
Thomas - did very well in his first start and we want some more of that
Skinner - if he is back - it will be big. Should dominate the Mavs inside (on the boards and defensively).
Darius - hope he is OK. He usually plays Mavs well
Evans - we know what he will give us depending on minutes.
House - playing very solid as of late
Tag - Nice 22 minutes last game. Will not happen tonight (matchups)
Williamson - couls be very usefull tonight because he Mavs do not have a player that can match up.
Martin - do not see him play tonight.
Daniels - let's hope not.
RA - 701 is better than 700. And - for love of god - save us from a ultra small lineups where Pedja is the tallest and Corliss has to play center (or Darius).
Mavs - Dirk will get his - but if we can make him work harder for it - would help. Daniels will get to play Bibby at some point of the game :( .
KVH played very well last night which is scarry because he had great games against us in the past
No matter what happens tonight - BLAME FINLEY !!!
Go Nets !!!!!!! (Grizzlies)
Go Blazers !!!!!!! (Sonics)
Go Cavs !!!!!!!! (Rockets)
Lakers play in Denver - easy one for the Kingsfans but a hard one for me because it would involve LA winning and that would go against pretty much all principles that I have ;)

Last edited:
Looking forward to tonight's game...hopefully we can keep Terry and Daniels somewhat under wraps. Nowitzki's going to get his, you just have to make him work for it and NEVER leave him open for three!!!!

We already lost the season series, but nobody wants to be swept, especially on their home court. I think we'll see a great effort from the Kings tonight, and it will only help that both Skinner and Songaila will play.

This is a more than likely playoff opponent, and we all know that the team that wins the season series loses the playoff series, so I'm not too worried about them. Should be an entertaining game, as always...I just don't know what to expect out of these guys from night to night.

im sick of this crap. it's understood that dirks the best player and he may get his anyway, but i do not want to see non-all stars like daniels/howard/van horn going for 30 points. since the trade we've gotten better on defense and i think that right now the only way to make up for webbers production on the offensive end is stronger defense and good hustle on the offensive glass from skinner and thomas. it has been proven that dirk cannot beat us by himself. keep everyone in check and we get the win.

piksi said:
Mavs are very solid team. Very good on the road. Referees seam to like them too.
:( I watched the game last night too. I couldn't believe the officiating, or lack there of. Dunleavy had the right to be as upset as he was. Sixers game had really poor officiating too. Watching A.I. made me think. He puts out more effort in 3 minutes than Mike does in a whole game. I'm getting tired of hearing people say Bibby is tired (I've said it myself, but no more). What is he tired from??? 40 minutes of coasting? You may not like Iverson but he IS the fiercest competitor in the league right now. You have to love his passion for the game. Just don't ask him about practice;) !!!

LET'S PLAY WITH SOME PASSION, ENTHUSIASM, AND PLEEEEZE GUYS HAVE SOME FUN OUT THERE TONIGHT. GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!

piksi

Hall of Famer
Gargamel said:
They're gonna disappoint you.
It is a win/win situation for us.

If Denver loses (highly unlikely) we gain another half a game.

If lakers lose - Lakers lose - always a good thing.

piksi said:
It is a win/win situation for us.

If Denver loses (highly unlikely) we gain another half a game.

If lakers lose - Lakers lose - always a good thing.
If you want them to win, I hope they lose.

piksi said:
I do not remember when wat the last time when Mike and Pedja player well at the same time. Tonight would be a good time. Please!
word to your mother

As for the game, im really excited to see any kind of effect that the "new" guys will have on this game (hopefully there wil bel a BIG one--in a good way)...i don't see them knowing what to do...they've faced that one Sacramento Kings team for so long and now its completely gone...i can easily see them underestimating Brian which pretty much every opponent since he's been traded here has

If we pull this game out tonight it would be considered a BIG win....::sigh::...but we just need a win a WIN...we're at home and the home crowd BETTER behind the guys tonight...but at the same time i don't have any doubts cuz Celt is suppose to be at the game...

GO KINGS!! Beat BIG D!

piksi said:
I do not remember when was the last time when Mike and Pedja played well at the same time. Tonight would be a good time. Please!
I think I remember a game last year when Peja had like 34, and Mike hand 26. I think it was vs. the Lakers too.

EDIT- Looked it up, Peja had 37 on 12-18 shoot, 7-11 3pointers, and 9 points. Mike had 31 on 9-20 shooting, 5-10 3pointers, and 7 assists and 8 rebounds. Divac had 10 assists too. Even with all that it was still a close game 103-101. We won though!

Last edited:
I got an idea. We should start with the match ups each game and maybe point out the key match aswell. Let me start

vs

Ok the key match up of this game will come down to the defensive end and who we match up to guard Dirk. I think we should have Pedja guard him this might tire him out a bit but Pedja is the only guy we can realistically match up Dirk on the defensive end. The key is now we can defend the small better because we now the personal to complete with the Mavs at the end.

AleksandarN said:
I got an idea. We should start with the match ups each game and maybe point out the key match aswell. Let me start

Ok the key match up of this game will come down to the defensive end and who we match up to guard Dirk. I think we should have Pedja guard him this might tire him out a bit but Pedja is the only guy we can realistically match up Dirk on the defensive end. The key is now we can defend the small better because we now the personal to complete with the Mavs at the end.

i say lets put cuttino on dirk. cuttino can guard almost anyone when he really wants to body up. dirks good, but i dont think he's strong enough to take cuttino off the dribble; and i dont think he's good enough to hit turn around jumpers all night.

lets do this. put bibby on terry, cat on dirk, thomas on finley, peja on van horn, skinner on whoever starts at center for dallas.

tyrant said:
i say lets put cuttino on dirk. cuttino can guard almost anyone when he really wants to body up. dirks good, but i dont think he's strong enough to take cuttino off the dribble; and i dont think he's good enough to hit turn around jumpers all night.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Please tell me there's sarcasm hidden in this somewhere. I read it a few times, and I don't see it.

Dirk's almost got a good foot on Cat, he doesn't have to shoot turnaround j's, he can face up and shoot them in his eye all night long.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
tyrant said:
im sick of this crap. it's understood that dirks the best player and he may get his anyway, but i do not want to see non-all stars like daniels/howard/van horn going for 30 points. since the trade we've gotten better on defense and i think that right now the only way to make up for webbers production on the offensive end is stronger defense and good hustle on the offensive glass from skinner and thomas. it has been proven that dirk cannot beat us by himself. keep everyone in check and we get the win.
Sick of what crap? Losing? Well, if that's the case you're most likely going to be really ill before the season is over because if you look at the rest of the schedule, it's much worse than what we've been through in March. MUCH WORSE!!!!!

This is a team in transition. It is a group of players trying to figure out who is going to do what; it is a team beset with even more injuries than they're already used to.

The Kings HAVEN'T gotten better on defense since the trade. Look at the numbers being put up against them on a nightly basis. Keeping everyone in check sounds pretty easy until you actually try and figure out how to do it, especially with Miller out, and a bunch of new guys still learning how to work with each other.

Granted, Thomas, Skinner, Williamson and Mobley have stepped in and really exceeded expectations but you can't or shouldn't expect them to perform as though they are part of a well-oiled team that has learned what to expect from each other at various times in the game.

The fact that Adelman has this team able to even compete together right now with any kind of cohesiveness is a major tribute to him and his staff AND to the guys who step out there every night to try and get the job done. Considering they really don't know from game to game even who those guys are going to be, it's a daunting task and I'm proud of them.

GO KINGS!!!!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
tyrant said:

lets do this. put bibby on terry, cat on dirk, thomas on finley, peja on van horn, skinner on whoever starts at center for dallas.
Cuttino as the defensive stopper against Dirk Nowitzki?

Oh my...

KingCookie said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Please tell me there's sarcasm hidden in this somewhere. I read it a few times, and I don't see it.

Dirk's almost got a good foot on Cat, he doesn't have to shoot turnaround j's, he can face up and shoot them in his eye all night long.
actually im serious. dirk is a 7 foot perimeter player. he can shoot over almost everyone except big centers. now songaila has gaurded dirk and did a pretty decent job every now and then, but he gets toasted 80% of the time. cuttino has a strong body and whether you want to believe it or not he's our best one on one defender. if cuttino gets his body into dirk he's not gonna hit a ton of shots. players get thier shots off if given even an INCH of space. of course since cat is a 2 guard he's gonna get stuck with finley, but i think cuttino could keep dirk from backing down and driving into the paint for those annoying 15 foot pull up jumpers

tyrant said:
actually im serious. dirk is a 7 foot perimeter player. he can shoot over almost everyone except big centers. now songaila has gaurded dirk and did a pretty decent job every now and then, but he gets toasted 80% of the time. cuttino has a strong body and whether you want to believe it or not he's our best one on one defender. if cuttino gets his body into dirk he's not gonna hit a ton of shots. players get thier shots off if given even an INCH of space. of course since cat is a 2 guard he's gonna get stuck with finley, but i think cuttino could keep dirk from backing down and driving into the paint for those annoying 15 foot pull up jumpers
:confused: Do you honestly believe that? I come up with a good idea and I get this as rebutal.

Gregorius said:
I think I remember a game last year when Peja had like 34, and Mike hand 26. I think it was vs. the Lakers too.

EDIT- Looked it up, Peja had 37 on 12-18 shoot, 7-11 3pointers, and 9 points. Mike had 31 on 9-20 shooting, 5-10 3pointers, and 7 assists and 8 rebounds. Divac had 10 assists too. Even with all that it was still a close game 103-101. We won though!
Mike Bibby hit two dagger 3's in a row to win that game at the end in LA, Peja was unstoppable! Tonight, what can you say? Mavs Vs. Kings baby, you gotta love it! We need our two best players(Mike and Peja) to play well, and the rest of the guys to do their job. Question, is Dampier back yet for Dallas? If he's not that will help, they aren't any better than we are on D without him. Cat also needs to be consistently streaky at the right time(as usual
). TO's will kill us against this team, they are going to score, but we can't make it easier for them. First team to 115 wins... GO KINGS!!

VF21 said:
Sick of what crap? Losing? Well, if that's the case you're most likely going to be really ill before the season is over because if you look at the rest of the schedule, it's much worse than what we've been through in March. MUCH WORSE!!!!!

This is a team in transition. It is a group of players trying to figure out who is going to do what; it is a team beset with even more injuries than they're already used to.

The Kings HAVEN'T gotten better on defense since the trade. Look at the numbers being put up against them on a nightly basis. Keeping everyone in check sounds pretty easy until you actually try and figure out how to do it, especially with Miller out, and a bunch of new guys still learning how to work with each other.

Granted, Thomas, Skinner, Williamson and Mobley have stepped in and really exceeded expectations but you can't or shouldn't expect them to perform as though they are part of a well-oiled team that has learned what to expect from each other at various times in the game.

The fact that Adelman has this team able to even compete together right now with any kind of cohesiveness is a major tribute to him and his staff AND to the guys who step out there every night to try and get the job done. Considering they really don't know from game to game even who those guys are going to be, it's a daunting task and I'm proud of them.

GO KINGS!!!!!!

what i meant was that im sick of players like daniels having their way with sacramento. and what do you mean the kings aren't better defensively???the defensive rotations are quicker since the crippled webber left, skinners' averaging almost 3 blocks a game, and now that brad doesnt have to guard his AND webbers man he can help us much more in the paint. with brad and skinner in the game (if we lose) it's basically because we got beat over the top as opposed to getting beat by layups and putbacks as we were so annoyingly known for.

tyrant said:
what i meant was that im sick of players like daniels having their way with sacramento. and what do you mean the kings aren't better defensively???the defensive rotations are quicker since the crippled webber left, skinners' averaging almost 3 blocks a game, and now that brad doesnt have to guard his AND webbers man he can help us much more in the paint. with brad and skinner in the game (if we lose) it's basically because we got beat over the top as opposed to getting beat by layups and putbacks as we were so annoyingly known for.
What she means is that we are still giving up just as many pts, we are still getting outrebounded at the same differential, and we are still getting outscored in the paint(lotta putbacks) by nearly every team we face. We do have a lotta injuries, but the numbers just don't add up for your point of view, sorry. We still even see MVP candidates like Joel Prizzbilla go for 8 blocked shots and 20 rebs. Not sure what you are seeing. We are faster... but undersized and therefore no more effective then we were on D.

Status
Not open for further replies.