Marvin Bagley III

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
if that's all we get to see from his workout, then I'd rather them not post anything at all. That was a slooooowww motion type of move.
But at least he used his right hand.

The reality is that this was probably the very end of the workout if it was open to the press.

There's plenty of game tape on Bagley and what he does well. The two things you want to get out of an individual workout are to learn more about the kid as a person and competitor and to see things he didn't show or didn't show much of in college. So probably a lot of ballhandling and shooting drills for Bagley.

As a side note I think it's interesting that the Celtics workouts are reportedly very heavy on defense and trying to see how tough (physically and mentally) these kids are rather than demonstrating their offensive game. Through that lens Boston's recent draft picks make even more sense.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, Peja is taller than Cwebb. I had the honor of interviewing players during the 2004 Kings-Mavs players at the practice facility and was surprised to see that.

If you saw the recent pic of Vivek with Shaq and Vlade, you can see Vlade is taller than Shaq and Peja isn’t a ton shorter than Vlade.

Peja is taller than many realize.
The NBA is always inflating heights. At the very least they generally list a guy's height in shoes. And then often they add to that.

In contrast it seems like most international prospects tend to be listed using their barefoot height. So it wouldn't surprise me if Peja was taller than Webber.

I also think people will be surprised when they see how big Doncic is in person.

One thing I like about his answers was when he was asked how he averaged 11 rpg last year. His answer, "heart." That's such an undervalued trait in a league full of millennials. This kid brings it every night and if drafted I feel confident that we will never question his desire to be great as an individual or win as a team. COUGH COUGH......WCS

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Noticed he said he's only working out for us, PHX, & Atlanta. Seems pretty confident overall. Not much else I got from the interview besides his grandpa played.
I think that's more of how agents try to control things in the draft these days. If you're projected to go #1 you don't work out for anybody other than #1 or it the appearance may be that you're not confident you're the #1 pick. If you're projected to go #2 or #3 then you only work out for #1-3 teams etc.

Bagley could easily go fourth to Memphis (I've argued that it's actually the best fit team for him) but he likely won't work out there.

I'd have zero issues with the Kings drafting Bagley. He's a bit of an odd fit in today's NBA but he always comes to play and I think he'll work to get the most out of his abilities. I know I'm in the minority but I definitely like him over Ayton.

Thanks for sharing. I would not be unhappy with Bagley, along with a few others.

I won't get into psychoanalyzing what I liked or didn't like with his demeanor,answers, or "original content" he provided off the cuff. His overall presser was up and down for me.

I have no doubt of his talent, yet as others have pointed out, he is an odd fit in the league as it is now. I liked his answers ( as pointed out earlier by @BigVirg , though I am in the stalwart let's see what WCS does this year before making a decision camp, hence me not "liking your post"), his answer about how he managed to get rebounds at such a high clip. "Heart" Then proceeded to show, he meant it. That sequence bodes well with me.

For those short on time, and because I felt a lot of the earlier statements were echo chamber responses driven by the team name on the podium, I would skip to the 8:40 mark. One can glean from his responses, Coach Joerger started in early on him which was good to hear.

- At the 9:32 mark you start to hear what coach Joerger said to him and his response regarding that, to a media that he will get more comfortable talking to.
I find it interesting that starting at the 9:32 mark and especially at 9:43/9:44 mark, when speaking about what coach Joerger told him he needed to work on, he mentions his defense first, then his offense.

This definitely bodes well for both Bagley's future as well as ours.

Last edited:
The NBA is always inflating heights. At the very least they generally list a guy's height in shoes. And then often they add to that.

In contrast it seems like most international prospects tend to be listed using their barefoot height. So it wouldn't surprise me if Peja was taller than Webber.

I also think people will be surprised when they see how big Doncic is in person.
I also think they take into consideration a players length. For example, Hakeem Olajuwon was listed at 7 feet even though he was several inches shorter. But he had the reach of a 7 footer.

Webber was shorter than Peja but his length and reach was that of a taller player. Peja could never have played the PF position back then as Cwebb did.

I also think they take into consideration a players length. For example, Hakeem Olajuwon was listed at 7 feet even though he was several inches shorter. But he had the reach of a 7 footer.

Webber was shorter than Peja but his length and reach was that of a taller player. Peja could never have played the PF position back then as Cwebb did.
Crazy how these days Peja would be kind of big for a PF.

One thing about Bagley though is I'm fully confident that he's going to put the work in try and improve his game. He's an infectious player on the court and pretty much all reports out of Duke showed he has a tremendous work ethic. Here's a couple quotes from Coach K https://247sports.com/college/duke/...makes-Marvin-Bagley-an-elite-player-112563890

He has his downsides absolutely. Might end up being a skinny 5 if he can't get a jumper or an outside game. He was just flat lost on defense this year. But he's the exact kind of guy I'd want to bet on to make those improvements.

Let’s say we take Bagley. And Giles is what the rumors say. Do those two play together?
If Giles is what the rumors are then I'd say he would be a great 5 man in today's game. I still think you'd want Bagley to develop that outside shot for the two of them to be successful long term. If you believe that can/will happen then I would they would be fine together.

If Giles is what the rumors are then I'd say he would be a great 5 man in today's game. I still think you'd want Bagley to develop that outside shot for the two of them to be successful long term. If you believe that can/will happen then I would they would be fine together.
Harry Giles is putting in work. HIs body is far ahead of Bagley, of course, it probably should be with over 12 months off the floor and I believe at least 12 months older. One thing I think it will be easy for the Kings to discern is who is the better player today: Giles or Bagley? For the Kings to pull the trigger on Bagley I am sure the Kings would love conclude he is clearly better than Giles. If not, it may give them pause. To be honest, I was disappointed in the clips that I saw in terms of Bagley's perceived length. I expected him to look longer. He looks more like a SF than C, with PF being is most natural position. I am not souring on the kid, but I really hope we bring in Bamba. Just like Luka, you can look at Bagley's nearly nonexistent muscle definition as positive in disguise. Once he makes those strides in his strength and athleticism, easiest to make in the first few months of an intense training regime, he will be that much more effective. Bagley is already a great athlete. When he goes beast mode like Giles, the game will come that much easier to him. This kid Ramsey is worth a follow on Twitter. He's the lead strength and conditioning coach and he is posting training videos all month. (Willie appears to be AWOL so far :rolleyes:)

I really appreciate he took the time to come workout, it may not be the norm these days but it should be IMO for a team with this high of pick.
I enjoyed his interview, after one question he asked the reporter what do you mean. Shows he is thoughtful and doesn't just deliver generic answers. He's got mates here and loves the city, sounds good.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Peja would be unreal in this era at PF. Absolutely flawless fit in the new NBA, probably would have made a few more All-Star teams.
That entire Kings team would murder in the modern NBA

C-Webb had range and passing and everything you need to obliterate the Drays of the world.
Peja could probably average 30+ a game if shooting at the frequency the dudes shooting the three in the modern league.
Vlade'd be a little out of place but he'd still be the best passing big in the league.
Bibby could struggle a bit on defense but the modern run and gun style would probably suit his game on offense and the defensive issues are moot when
Doug Christie would be an even more valuable defender and ball hander in the modern league (Andre Iguodala before AI).
and that's only the starters.

It's not a stretch to say the greatest show on court was twenty years ahead of its time. I mean the entire league has adopted a lot of Coachie's elbow concepts since that era passed.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I’m sure there is some obscure statistical reference there, but I don’t understand what the hell the point is with the McLemore comp. We’ve now reached the edge of pre-draft madness.....
Basically, the author has decided to take the pulled-out-of-his-rear-end method of trying to find players with very similar OBPM (+/- 0.5) and DBPM (+/- 0.5) to the given player at the same point in their college career. This is the NBA stats equivalent of asking a co-worker to submit to a DNA test to see if you're long-lost biological siblings because you both like to leave the office at 11:30 for lunch. But, the author does write for Bleacher Report, so I'm not sure we could have expected anything more refined.

Why dont they just list the actual height??? Find that annoying as a fan that all the measurments are not reliable. Would also appreciate an occasional weigjt update

Harry Giles is putting in work. HIs body is far ahead of Bagley, of course, it probably should be with over 12 months off the floor and I believe at least 12 months older. One thing I think it will be easy for the Kings to discern is who is the better player today: Giles or Bagley? For the Kings to pull the trigger on Bagley I am sure the Kings would love conclude he is clearly better than Giles. If not, it may give them pause. To be honest, I was disappointed in the clips that I saw in terms of Bagley's perceived length. I expected him to look longer. He looks more like a SF than C, with PF being is most natural position. I am not souring on the kid, but I really hope we bring in Bamba. Just like Luka, you can look at Bagley's nearly nonexistent muscle definition as positive in disguise. Once he makes those strides in his strength and athleticism, easiest to make in the first few months of an intense training regime, he will be that much more effective. Bagley is already a great athlete. When he goes beast mode like Giles, the game will come that much easier to him. This kid Ramsey is worth a follow on Twitter. He's the lead strength and conditioning coach and he is posting training videos all month. (Willie appears to be AWOL so far :rolleyes:)

More importantly I didn’t see Skal. If anyone needs to get stronger it’s him.

My question about Marvin is if he is such a hard worker why is his skill set so rudimentary. It’s a dichotomy I don’t completely get. A hard worker would, it would seem, be able to finish with more than his left hand....

Is he just not coachable? So many questions so few easy answers in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.