Marvin Bagley III

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is that we assume that Bagley has to be play Center to be effective. This is not right imo. Of course this league is going into the direction of playing 3s at the 4, but Bagley is stronger, quicker and faster than most of these smallball 4s. I dont think that his face-up game is an issue either. So for me he definitely fits the modern style NBA IF he can develop into a good 3 point shooter. And I hope that the Kings workout will give them some answers regarding this question .If they think he can, then he is my pick at #2.
Bagley is an anti-small ball 4.... I dont think Draymond can lock him down or anything close. All Bagley's life he's obliterated smaller defenders because he's usually just as quick, or quicker.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I don't understand is that we assume that Bagley has to be play Center to be effective. This is not right imo. Of course this league is going into the direction of playing 3s at the 4, but Bagley is stronger, quicker and faster than most of these smallball 4s. I dont think that his face-up game is an issue either. So for me he definitely fits the modern style NBA IF he can develop into a good 3 point shooter. And I hope that the Kings workout will give them some answers regarding this question .If they think he can, then he is my pick at #2.
That's where I'm at with Bagley. Because he isn't suited to be an anchor defender his best fit isn't at center. It's at PF and I think he can guard small ball/perimeter oriented PFs just fine while being a nightmare for them on the other end. He has to be able to hit NBA threes to space the floor but if he can do that (and I think he will be a good outside shooter in time) then you have quite a weapon.

Fox/Bogdanovic/???/Bagley/Cauley-Stein or Giles isn't a bad lineup and can be very good if they can get a solid SF in free agency.

Entity

Hall of Famer
That's where I'm at with Bagley. Because he isn't suited to be an anchor defender his best fit isn't at center. It's at PF and I think he can guard small ball/perimeter oriented PFs just fine while being a nightmare for them on the other end. He has to be able to hit NBA threes to space the floor but if he can do that (and I think he will be a good outside shooter in time) then you have quite a weapon.

Fox/Bogdanovic/???/Bagley/Cauley-Stein or Giles isn't a bad lineup and can be very good if they can get a solid SF in free agency.
I question our ability to get that solid SF in free agency. We really struggle with free agency when it comes to something we really need. We needed SF last year. Best we could do was a guy 2-3 years past retirement age

I question our ability to get that solid SF in free agency. We really struggle with free agency when it comes to something we really need. We needed SF last year. Best we could do was a guy 2-3 years past retirement age
The Kings tried real hard on the court but lets be real; their tanking safe-door was constructing the 17-18 roster without a viable SF, i'd contend they did it on purpose.
Vince was just voted the most respected player in the league by the players association fwiw!

Entity

Hall of Famer
The Kings tried real hard on the court but lets be real; their tanking safe-door was constructing the 17-18 roster without a viable SF, i'd contend they did it on purpose.
Vince was just voted the most respected player in the league by the players association fwiw!
Well yeah Vince is a great guy.

Lonzo ball shot lights out in college but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 3 or the ft stripe as a rook. Im weary of paying these relatively small samples too much creedance and even more so when its low volume attempts from bigmen
Everyone and there mom knew Lonzo couldn’t shoot, except for espn

Bagley is an anti-small ball 4.... I dont think Draymond can lock him down or anything close. All Bagley's life he's obliterated smaller defenders because he's usually just as quick, or quicker.
Green is one of the best (if not the best) defenders in the league, he can shut down players much bigger than him and he is the defensive anchor of the best team in the nba, so it’s a pretty strong statement saying he can’t shut down a rookie who hasn’t played a single minute in the nba.

If that’s the case Bagley would be the number one pick no doubt.

First of all Bagley isnt a great shooter. He shot very few jumpshots overall in college and had only 62ft%. If he doesnt play as a center it takes away from the overall spacing and effectiveness of the offense.

Bagley also likes to operate near the basket. Will be much harder to do that in the Nba if you have a non shooting center clogging the lane.

In order for him to become an efficent part of an efficent offense, he most likely needs to play center. Defensively I definetly dont like the idea of him guarding one of the opposing wings. If you think doncic is a bad wing defender, Bagley will most likely be even worse.

So its all about fit with Bagley. He has some good qualities but its hard to say how valuable player he will be after all. To me, I wouldnt touch a player at #2 who has so many concerns about being an efficent player in a good team.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a discussion around Bagley's fit as a SF?

A lot of people are worried about his rim protection and defense as a big man, but his athleticism & quickness are elite which makes me think he has the athletic profile to hang with SFs on the perimeter (I understand that the ability to hang and actually hanging are two different things). Offensively, he almost shot 40% from three. However, he didn't take a ton of threes (and shot only 63% from the line). If Bagley develops into a 37%-40% 3pt shooter, why couldn't he be a SF?

It would be interesting to have three guys that are 6'11" or taller with elite quickness on the floor together (Bagley, Giles, & Cauley-Stein). You obviously have to rely on a couple of them developing reliable 3pt range, but curious to hear what some have to say about Bagley as a SF prospect.

A lot of people are worried about his rim protection and defense as a big man, but his athleticism & quickness are elite which makes me think he has the athletic profile to hang with SFs on the perimeter (I understand that the ability to hang and hanging are two different things). Offensively, he almost shot 40% from three. However, he didn't take a ton of threes (and shot only 63% from the line). If Bagley develops into a 37%-40% 3pt shooter, why couldn't he be a SF?

It would be interesting to have three guys that are 6'11" or taller with elite quickness on the floor together (Bagley, Giles, & Cauley-Stein). You obviously have to rely on a couple of them developing reliable 3pt range, but curious to hear what some have to say about Bagley as a SF prospect.
Years back I thought he had a chance to play some SF. It's his ball skills and shooting preventing him, if he developes into an elite 3pt shooter he'd be impossible to contain at the 3 4 or 5tbh. Marvin's 1st step is quicker than most NBA SF's.

A lot of people are worried about his rim protection and defense as a big man, but his athleticism & quickness are elite which makes me think he has the athletic profile to hang with SFs on the perimeter (I understand that the ability to hang and actually hanging are two different things). Offensively, he almost shot 40% from three. However, he didn't take a ton of threes (and shot only 63% from the line). If Bagley develops into a 37%-40% 3pt shooter, why couldn't he be a SF?

No even if he shot lights out the kid is a PF/C

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bagley is an elite rebounder and is at his best attacking the basket. It makes little sense to try and turn him into a wing player. He's also (at Duke anyway) shown no ability to pull up off the dribble or come off screens and shoot. The vast majority of his outside shots came with his feet set and an open look at the basket.

Could he guard some SFs? Sure, in time he probably can because he has the footspeed to slide and stay with most guys. But he's a big with some hope/signs of being able to stretch the floor, not a SF. Putting him at the three makes a team with poor outside shooting even worse and he'd struggle to handle the ball against wing defenders. Bagley has good handles for a big, but not for a wing.

The Kings have a huge hole at SF but Bagley isn't the kid to fill it. You want him punishing small ball PFs and stretch 4's near the basket while being able to also step out and stretch the floor.

Offensively you don't want a SF that can't shoot. Defensively he's probably better suited to pfs long term given his body type. He's a pf all the way

He's not a SF. He's very athletic, but isn't wing athletic. With all quickness and tools, he matches up much more against PFs who he can exploit with his quickness.

Bagley isn't a SF. Not sure why you would try to force him to be one. Same with the suggestions of Skal at SF. Let them play their natural positions.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
To me, Bagley could guard a guy like Porter. Porter has length for a 3, is a good rebounder and shooter, though not much of a dribble drive type of guy. If I were Bagley's coach I would experiment some and put him on Porter and other 3s of his ilk. But Bagley is mostly going to be used against 4s.

Status
Not open for further replies.