Marvin Bagley III

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Bagley is the pick (and it definitely looks like he is) and Giles looks good in summer league, I wonder what the over/under on trading WCS is? A month? Six months?

If there's a downside to picking Bagley it is that we'll see lots more high post action with two bigs from Joerger and no reason to evolve the offense to more of a motion, pace & space concept.

I honestly think Vlade would have to drastically remake the roster to force Joerger to adapt. Instead I fear we'll see the Sacramento version of Grit & Grind when really this team should be pushing the pace.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
PLEASE NOTE: I've created a separate "OFFICIAL premature reaction thread" for all of you who seem to think our pick has already been announced. Maybe just post there instead of spreading it throughout a bunch of different threads? Thanks.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
There are fans (and use the word fans to include those on blogs like the Ringer) who say Bagley has "highest bust potential". Excuse me, what are you looking at?! I think Bagley is an extremely low risk pick. Bagley can get 10 PPG and 6 RPG in 15 MPG without any plays being run for him on athleticism and instincts. This is baseline productivity. He is likely to produce much more. Where the mistake occurs is when you conclude he is a center, declare he cannot defend centers, he will not be able to stay on the floor against centers, period, end of story, bust. He's not a conventional center, he's more a combo forward who you put in pick and roll, will run constantly, attack the boards and pick his spots from perimeter. He needs to work on his handles, right hand and strength. This will all come with time and dedication, then watch out.
I agree. The NBA of today doesn't have positions. I'm not worried about that aspect at all.

Dude's being set up to disappoint. They're talking him up like baby Webber... let's just get him on the court for a little before the ridiculous hyperbole kicks in?
I don't know about they thinking he's gonna be Webber hahah. As long as he's legit defensively he will be a good complement to Bagley.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Do Giles and Bagley really pair well together? All I hear about is offense with these guys. Who is going to play d? And who is our starting SF?

I'm going to be forced to drink the kool aid until November if Bagley is the guy but I just don't see the basketball rationale.

Unless everything about Giles is a lie. Then I'll never trust this FO again.

Do Giles and Bagley really pair well together? All I hear about is offense with these guys. Who is going to play d? And who is our starting SF?

I'm going to be forced to drink the kool aid until November if Bagley is the guy but I just don't see the basketball rationale.

Assuming Giles is really something close to what he's been billed to be they are both mobile enough to play together, but who the heck knows? Bagley has some things he really needs to work on to be successful in the NBA in my opinion but by all accounts he's a hard worker with a really high ceiling so I'd be confident he would improve in the areas he needed to.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If Bagley is the pick (and it definitely looks like he is) and Giles looks good in summer league, I wonder what the over/under on trading WCS is? A month? Six months?

If there's a downside to picking Bagley it is that we'll see lots more high post action with two bigs from Joerger and no reason to evolve the offense to more of a motion, pace & space concept.

I honestly think Vlade would have to drastically remake the roster to force Joerger to adapt. Instead I fear we'll see the Sacramento version of Grit & Grind when really this team should be pushing the pace.
That's an excellent subject for fan poll.

If they picked Doncic I honestly think there would be issues between Fox and Doncic. Doncic absolutely needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Fox, on the other hand, would not be interested in being secondary when it comes to playmaking. I just can't see that working.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

I would trade Cauley-Stein regardless. He's far too mercurial to lock in with the type of huge contract extension it's going to take to keep him from other teams next year.

Can't wait 6 mos to move Cauley-Stein. Rookie enders at the deadline rarely pull much in return. Giving a team a full year to look at a player like that is the way to go.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they picked Doncic I honestly think there would be issues between Fox and Doncic. Doncic absolutely needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Fox, on the other hand, would not be interested in being secondary when it comes to playmaking. I just can't see that working.
There are rationales for taking Bagley instead of Doncic. Doing so because Fox needs to be the primary playmaker is not one that makes any sense to me.

As a starter Fox averaged 4.3 assists. He's not a primary playmaker, at least not yet.

Chris Paul never averaged less than 7.8 assists in any year in his career (topping out at 11.6 apg) and he was able to share a backcourt with James Harden. You take the best player available. Saying that you shouldn't take Doncic because Fox won't want to share the ball is as bad a position as taking Doncic over Bagley simply because the Kings need a small forward. You take the guy you think is best and worry about fit later.

I would trade Cauley-Stein regardless. He's far too mercurial to lock in with the type of huge contract extension it's going to take to keep him from other teams next year.
Agreed.

Giles' high school tape leads you to believe he's all offense but his play at Duke was more defensive orientated and many of the comments from the players and guys that have seen him practice have me believing his defense is ahead of his offense at this point.

Still a mystery but it's going to take someone developing a good shot for it to work. Bagley's shot is probably ahead of Giles' at this point.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't wait 6 mos to move Cauley-Stein. Rookie enders at the deadline rarely pull much in return. Giving a team a full year to look at a player like that is the way to go.
Sure but that's not the Kangz way. They'll get pennies on the dollar for WCS (and Skal) when they finally move him. Or worse yet, they'll let him walk for nothing. Or worst of all, they'll re-sign him to a big deal next summer.

I've seen pictures of almost every player at our facility training their butts off besides Willie. Vlade values culture and chemistry right? Get this dude out of town while he still has some value!

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is everyone suddenly saying this? What have I missed in the past couple of hours?
Woj, after agreeing to not announce picks, announced how the first six picks are "shaping up". Marc Spears has said the team has decided on Bagley. A few others. Again, doesn't mean it's true but that's where all the signs are pointing to the point that Damien Barling and Jason Ross were on 1140 talking about it as if Bagley was definitely the pick.

Woj, after agreeing to not announce picks, announced how the first six picks are "shaping up". Marc Spears has said the team has decided on Bagley. A few others. Again, doesn't mean it's true but that's where all the signs are pointing to the point that Damien Barling and Jason Ross were on 1140 talking about it as if Bagley was definitely the pick.
Yeah, I heard the Ross/Barling thing and was perplexed. Then reading this site, still perplexed.

So Woj and Spears said it so it’s right but Mychal Thompson said Doncic and it’s wrong? I don’t get it.

He also didn’t attach a team to the #4 selection.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yeah, I heard the Ross/Barling thing and was perplexed. Then reading this site, still perplexed.

So Woj and Spears said it so it’s right but Mychal Thompson said Doncic and it’s wrong? I don’t get it.
I don't really want to believe it but I guess I'm preparing myself for disappointment.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Well it sure sounds like Grant and Doug are selling the fans on Bagley. Maybe they know and maybe they don't, but it's not a coincidence that they are all in on Marvin Bagley III right now. Either they've gotten word that he's the pick or they are reading the tea leaves like everyone else and are pretty sure he's the guy.

Either way, they are really pushing Bagley to the point that Grant is pushing Pollard as a draft savant and that Bagley will be great because Scott likes him.

Status
Not open for further replies.