Marvin Bagley III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have already said this, but am very comfortable with Bagley. I preferred Doncic, but Bagley is an extremely talented guy who does have some elite physical characteristics. I've believed the whole time that if he can get consistent with his 3pt. shot (he was 39%) he can fit really well in the modern NBA. He has a lot of things he needs to work on to be a franchise guy though and that's why I like Doncic more.

So having said the above, if the Kings take anyone but Doncic — it’s wrong. And they will have finally cemented everything that has been said about them. That have no clue how to evaluate talent nor do they have any idea what wins in today’s game.

This game has always been more about skill and basketball IQ than athleticism and potential. Players like Steph, Klay, Draymond, Booker and even former player Steve Nash demonstrate this as well as anybody.

There are players like Marvin Bagley available in many drafts. But there aren’t always players like Luka in most drafts. Guys that can do everything and impact the game beyond stats. The high BBIQ is just the icing on top.

Woj, Spears, Shams, Amick, now even Jason Jones... or Mychal Thompson... I mean, we'll see.
Good. Great. Wonderful. Grand.

So it’s bad enough that the Kings will blow their draft pick yet again, they still can’t put a lid on their employees and keep it secret until the actual selection is made.

New day, same dysfunctional franchise.

The only good news in all of this, if true, is Vlade’s not gonna be around much longer. This will not work out nor improve the team much. And the team will now have a half dozen PF/C’s. Great job.

Well it sure sounds like Grant and Doug are selling the fans on Bagley. Maybe they know and maybe they don't, but it's not a coincidence that they are all in on Marvin Bagley III right now. Either they've gotten word that he's the pick or they are reading the tea leaves like everyone else and are pretty sure he's the guy.

Either way, they are really pushing Bagley to the point that Grant is pushing Pollard as a draft savant and that Bagley will be great because Scott likes him.
It's embarrassing... See you boys back in the 2020 lottery.

Last edited:
Sure but that's not the Kangz way. They'll get pennies on the dollar for WCS (and Skal) when they finally move him. Or worse yet, they'll let him walk for nothing. Or worst of all, they'll re-sign him to a big deal next summer.
My bet is they re-sign him just so they don't feel they wasted those years. It could be like JT all over again except twice the price.

Bagley is a good solid addition. Luka will be a great player but he provides what we already have and are invested in. Vlade doesnt have the appetite to revise pieces he has already put in place re our roster, its his funeral if it doesnt work out/Doncic hits the ground running and adapts quicker than expected.

Bagley is a good solid addition. Luka will be a great player but he provides what we already have and are invested in. Vlade doesnt have the appetite to revise pieces he has already put in place re our roster, its his funeral if it doesnt work out/Doncic hits the ground running and adapts quicker than expected.
He should be a combo 3/4 and the Kings have nothing that fits the bill like that. But if they don't think they can make Fox and Doncic work I'll trust their instincts.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
watch us go after Hezonja...sigh.

Kings need a legitimate wing.
Yeah, legitimate wing (or starting small forward) and Mario Hezonja just don't go together.

I'm pinning my hopes on Bagley showing a ton of development on the offensive end but honestly this pick is starting to scare me.

The modern game is all about having multiple ballhandlers, lots of outside shooting, bigs who can step out and shoot threes and/or protect the rim, and loading up with multitalented wings so you can switch everything.

On the other hand the Kings are relying on a ball dominant PG who can't shoot from outside, loading up on wings who can neither shoot from outside nor protect the rim, run a high post offense that results in being at the bottom of the league in 3pt attempts and both have a giant hole at SF and lack a smallball 4 or stretch 4.

I'll be rooting hard for Bagley to look like a monster in Summer League and into the regular season. And I'd probably be just as apprehensive if Doncic were hte pick. My patience with this franchise has reached an all-time low. If it gets to the point where my life is more negatively impacted by the Kings then positively impacted then it's time to let it all go and I'm almost there.

Sure hope this works out.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You might not want to read the whole Tweet thread then...
I did. I posted about that tweet in the Luka thread. That's the dumbest of all reasons.

They'd better hope Bagley is the guy. If they took Doncic and the fans were happy and the draft heads all lauded them and he didn't thrive then so be it. But to go against the grain they have to be right.

Yeah, legitimate wing (or starting small forward) and Mario Hezonja just don't go together.

I'm pinning my hopes on Bagley showing a ton of development on the offensive end but honestly this pick is starting to scare me.

The modern game is all about having multiple ballhandlers, lots of outside shooting, bigs who can step out and shoot threes and/or protect the rim, and loading up with multitalented wings so you can switch everything.

On the other hand the Kings are relying on a ball dominant PG who can't shoot from outside, loading up on wings who can neither shoot from outside nor protect the rim, run a high post offense that results in being at the bottom of the league in 3pt attempts and both have a giant hole at SF and lack a smallball 4 or stretch 4.

I'll be rooting hard for Bagley to look like a monster in Summer League and into the regular season. And I'd probably be just as apprehensive if Doncic were hte pick. My patience with this franchise has reached an all-time low. If it gets to the point where my life is more negatively impacted by the Kings then positively impacted then it's time to let it all go and I'm almost there.

Sure hope this works out.
I had Doncic, Bagley, and Porter as all close 2s, but I realized the same point everyone else made... this is the modern game we're talking about. I still have Bagley on my board at #3, but you just can't deny Doncic's talents. 6'8, can shoot, can handle the ball, can pass, etc. Those guys just don't grow on trees. Look at the direction the NBA is going..

I just don't know how I feel about this pick..especially with what CMD said about Fox. I'm going to be rooting for Bagley, but if he's not as good as Doncic, I'm going to be done with this organization. fwiw, I think Bagley has AD-type potential, it just comes down to whether or not he'll be able to reach that. With regards to Doncic, I have no doubt in my mind he can reach his.

Status
Not open for further replies.