Manu sure can fake it

I hate Manu's game and the entire Spurs game. Bowen is the equivalent of a guy trying to beat you with a stick to take your quarter while having you tied up (the filthy *****). Manu, in my opinion, is overrated simply because he gets shut down too many times and his flopping is beginning to pee the crap out of me. He can run Bonzi down to the ground like nothing but when a PG touches him on the arm, he flies to the ground and jerks his head like a dead twitching bird. The Spurs are a dirty team and for some reason always look to have every call for them. Like Parker last night, drives into 3 kings defenders and loses the ball out of bounds and when the Refs call it Kings ball he can't believe it. It is time the Kings played some dirty ball too. Bowen is a hacker so hack him back and all you have to do is outflop Manu and make him go to his right. Parker, however, needs to be slowed down.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
There were several plays were Manu just pushed people out of the way or pushed someone down to get a rebound and the refs just didn't call it. You just have to gut it out

Bricklayer said:
I'm over it. Yes, Manu is a well known flopper and will overreact to any contact (we used to have one of those ourselves). But in the NBA half the players flop and exaggerate trying to draw fouls (which has me very much in favor of a hockey-style anti-flopping rule since it is basically cheating). But I'm less inclined to call the Artest forearm a flop, because Ron lined him up for it. Doubt he missed.
it's not cheating if you get fouled. and no fan of sacramento was encouraging a rule like that when vlade was sac's leader. btw, your assessment of half is pretty low. i saw shaq tumble out of bounds when tony parker bumped into him, giving up something like 200 lbs. everybody flops when they're hit, it's just some people get hit more than others.

i could see having a rule that if there is no contact that a flop becomes some kind of infraction.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Dave McNulla said:
it's not cheating if you get fouled. and no fan of sacramento was encouraging a rule like that when vlade was sac's leader. btw, your assessment of half is pretty low. i saw shaq tumble out of bounds when tony parker bumped into him, giving up something like 200 lbs. everybody flops when they're hit, it's just some people get hit more than others.

i could see having a rule that if there is no contact that a flop becomes some kind of infraction.
Hahaha! I can think of several infractions then where I have seen Manu flop when someone simply got close. I am not talking about this series, but in general.

There is no doubt that Vlade was a master at flopping. But no one, no one is better at over exaggeration than Manu. I don't like his game......never have.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wheeler03 said:
I would venture a guess and say that Bibby is a bigger flop artist than Manu could ever dream of being. Every single time Bibby attempts to get through a pick he will flop. What I cannot figure out is whether or not he is trying to draw a foul or is simply too lazy to fight through the pick. Personally, I would rather Bibby bulldog his way through those picks. Come on Mike....put all that weight lifting you do in the summer to some use. The N.B.A. should adopt a rule similar to the N.H.L. and call a foul on flop artists.
You just can't help yourself, can you?

:rolleyes:

Mike doesn't flop. He takes a lot of punishment and isn't always rewarded with a trip to the line.

We have had flop artists - hell, we had the Michelangelo of flop artists - on the Kings. Mike Bibby isn't among them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Dave McNulla said:

I certainly hope you were able to maintain your straight face when you typed that...

Come on. Admit it. Manu flops. Derek Fisher flops. Those two are head and shoulders above the rest and Manu may actually be approaching Divac status in his talents.

We never denied Vlade flopped on occasion. BUT he did not make it into a regular routine, which is what Manu seems to be striving for. Don't get me wrong; I like Manu Ginobili. He may flop but he also takes as much punishment as anybody else out there.

For the record, Vlade had to quit flopping. It got to the point where, he admitted, it hurt too much and was too hard to get back up...

VF21 said:
You just can't help yourself, can you?

:rolleyes:

Mike doesn't flop. He takes a lot of punishment and isn't always rewarded with a trip to the line.

We have had flop artists - hell, we had the Michelangelo of flop artists - on the Kings. Mike Bibby isn't among them.
No kidding. Mike generally takes a beating out there.

R

Rome

never did like Manu since he came to this league. He flops way too much and it irritates me that the refs fall for it almost 60% of the time.

I never said Bibby did not take punishment or that he did not play through injuries. He is a though kid. That being said, he DOES flop on a consistent basis when initial contact is made on screens. This is not a bashing Bibby thread, but I swear on my childrens life that Bibby flops at least five times per game. He does not fall to the ground, but he will exaggerate the contact.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Wheeler03 said:
I never said Bibby did not take punishment or that he did not play through injuries. He is a though kid. That being said, he DOES flop on a consistent basis when initial contact is made on screens. This is not a bashing Bibby thread, but I swear on my childrens life that Bibby flops at least five times per game. He does not fall to the ground, but he will exaggerate the contact.
Yes he does -- its that little herk and jerk he always throws in on every drive, or coming around picks. Its a "flop", just not as exaggerated as Manu's wild gesticulations.

In any case, being hated by fans of your opponent is always a good sign for a player. Would LOVE to have Manu Ginobili on our team -- was a big advocate for at least trying ot make a play for him a few years ago when he was a FA. Nonstop energy. Helluva player. But put him on the other team, and he becomes an iritation, moreso when he baits a ref into calling a foul on one of his flops.

Dave McNulla said:

I was.

I always HATED vlade's flopping. Frankly, in his case it almost always did more damage than good. Since the refs almost never bit on it he would just jump out of the way and the opposing player was free to waltz in for a layup.

It was annoying then, and it is annoying now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ah, memories...

I actually think one of the first "spirited debates" I ever got into here was with mcsluggo over Vlade and his "flopping."

;)

the picture is getting all fuzzy and sorta purple-ish, and I'm starting to hear a violin and pan-flute duet playing in the background.

ah, memories... ;)

VF21 said:
I certainly hope you were able to maintain your straight face when you typed that...

Come on. Admit it. Manu flops. Derek Fisher flops. Those two are head and shoulders above the rest and Manu may actually be approaching Divac status in his talents.

We never denied Vlade flopped on occasion. BUT he did not make it into a regular routine, which is what Manu seems to be striving for. Don't get me wrong; I like Manu Ginobili. He may flop but he also takes as much punishment as anybody else out there.

For the record, Vlade had to quit flopping. It got to the point where, he admitted, it hurt too much and was too hard to get back up...
i admit it, manu flops. it's not cheating if you get hit and fall down. if you don't get hit and fall down, that's cheating. is there a difference between manu and vlade? yes, several.
  1. vlade is bigger than manu, with more body mass. manu is smaller (200 lbs, about 60 lbs lighter than artest).
  2. vlade got hit by some pretty big guys like shaq (more than manu does)
  3. vlade flopped more as a defender in the post. manu gets more defensive flops trying to take a charge or driving the lane on offense, sometimes while taking outside shots.
not that it makes a difference.

btw, who's the worst flopping team i've ever seen? not the kings or spurs or 05 sonics. mid-90's utah jazz with karl malone, john stockton, and jeff hornecek. those guys could work it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Dave McNulla said:
i admit it, manu flops. it's not cheating if you get hit and fall down. if you don't get hit and fall down, that's cheating. is there a difference between manu and vlade? yes, several.
  1. vlade is bigger than manu, with more body mass. manu is smaller (200 lbs, about 60 lbs lighter than artest).
  2. vlade got hit by some pretty big guys like shaq (more than manu does)
  3. vlade flopped more as a defender in the post. manu gets more defensive flops trying to take a charge or driving the lane on offense, sometimes while taking outside shots.
not that it makes a difference.

btw, who's the worst flopping team i've ever seen? not the kings or spurs or 05 sonics. mid-90's utah jazz with karl malone, john stockton, and jeff hornecek. those guys could work it.
Thank you!

:D

And you're right about the Jazz.

What's more irritating to me than flops is the logic-defying lack of traveling violations called on Ginobli and Parker. The announcers are always astonished at how Manu can split defenders and how Parker gets underneath the big men for so many paint points--well it's b/c Ginobli takes three steps and Parker does his skip-and-a-jump (though I took some satsifaction when TP got called for it in the last game).

Great players; they both can be fun to watch, but they get away with stuff.

SacTownKid said:
Who cares. Manu gets shut down one way or the other in game 3. Lets just sit back and enjoy the flopping.
I want to see our guy laugh at Manu and put their fist to their eye like "You big cry baby and then just beat SA like a red headed step child." We need to blow them out which we are long over due for doing since now hopefully Bibby and Miller are going to give us good performances and Ron is back and giving us twice the game for the 1 he missed. I know everyone wants Ron to not feel like he has to prove something, but no matter what you say, he feels that way and is a true warrior and wants to back up his statement of taking it SA. I want him to really tie up Manu and on occasion TP. Him and Bonzi are the new Kings who are the bad boys that punish people with their bodies. Let's back that up and get a little tougher inside in the offseason, sorry wrong forum....LET GO KINGS!!!!! :D