Luka Doncic

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Re: Fox + our 1st for Doncic

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for Vlade to offer something like that, especially after Fox's relatively pedestrian rookie season.

He's traded more (Cuz) for less (Buddy + 10th pick).

We're going to have a bunch of solid options where we pick, but nobody really jumps out as having a super high ceiling (maybe Porter Jr). Chances are whoever we draft at 7 will be a solid, but replaceable player.

So for our FO, it's a question of Doncic's franchise cornerstone potential vs that of our core players. If Vlade thinks he has "it", I could see him trading anyone on the roster for him.

Just playing devils advocate here, btw. If such a trade did go down, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. I certainly don't think Fox should be considered untouchable, but I don't want to give up on him unless we're getting a sure thing back.

Last edited:
Re: Fox + our 1st for Doncic

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for Vlade to offer something like that, especially after Fox's relatively pedestrian rookie season.

He's traded more (Cuz) for less (Buddy + 10th pick).

We're going to have a bunch of solid options where we pick, but nobody really jumps out as having a super high ceiling (maybe Porter Jr). Chances are whoever we draft at 7 will be a solid, but replaceable player.

So for our FO, it's a question of Doncic's franchise cornerstone potential vs that of our core players. If Vlade thinks he has "it", I could see him trading anyone on the roster for him.

Just playing devils advocate here, btw. If such a trade did go down, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. I certainly don't think Fox should be considered untouchable, but I don't want to give up on him unless we're getting a sure thing back.
Eh, don't think Vlade will offer that.

More like Fox, Buddy, this year's pick, 2021 1st unprotected, 2023 1st unprotected, pick swaps in 2020 and 2022 for Doncic.

Now, THAT looks more like a Vlade trade.

If we somehow luck out and get Doncic in the draft, that actually opens up a spot for Buddy on the starting unit.

If we basically have two point guards on the court with Fox and Doncic, Buddy deficiency in ball handling would be minimized with Doncic at SF.

That would be lights out from 3s with Buddy starting at shooting guard.

Bogdan would be our super sixth man that can handle the ball on the second unit and can play PG, SG, SF.

If we somehow luck out and get Doncic in the draft, that actually opens up a spot for Buddy on the starting unit.

If we basically have two point guards on the court with Fox and Doncic, Buddy deficiency in ball handling would be minimized with Doncic at SF.

That would be lights out from 3s with Buddy starting at shooting guard.

Bogdan would be our super sixth man that can handle the ball on the second unit and can play PG, SG, SF.
I’d rather start Bogdan-Buddy-Doncic
With Randle/Giles in the frontcourt

That’s elite shooting and passing

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I might even go Fox/Donic in the backcourt and bring Buddy and Bogdan off the bench (with Bogdan, Luka, and De'Aaron all splitting the PG minutes). I'm not sure yet if Luka's best position in the NBA will be SG or SF. If it ends up being SF, I agree that a spot-up shooter like Buddy looks like the better bet at SG but it's not that big of a deal. Bogdan is almost at the same level as a shooter and we're going to find a way to get all of them on the floor in the fourth quarter anyway.

I really wish people would stop judging Fox based on what we saw from him in his first season. Or yeah, go ahead and judge him if you like but let's be realistic with our expectations. Fox wasn't a knockdown shooter but he also didn't look hopeless. He'll be fine in a couple years. And his speed and ability to get into the lane will be a huge asset next to Doncic or anyone else in the starting lineup. We could put a spot-up shooter there but I feel like you're losing more than you're getting back in that scenario. Fox is a jet with the ball in his hands, he's a willing defender with potential to improve on that end once he gets stronger and knows the league better, he's a factor on the boards, and he can break down defenders and create good shots. He's not a reliable spot-up shooter yet but if he can add that to his game that's the complete package. Let's give him a chance to figure it out before we deem him unfit for the current direction of the league.

I might even go Fox/Donic in the backcourt and bring Buddy and Bogdan off the bench (with Bogdan, Luka, and De'Aaron all splitting the PG minutes). I'm not sure yet if Luka's best position in the NBA will be SG or SF. If it ends up being SF, I agree that a spot-up shooter like Buddy looks like the better bet at SG but it's not that big of a deal. Bogdan is almost at the same level as a shooter and we're going to find a way to get all of them on the floor in the fourth quarter anyway.

I really wish people would stop judging Fox based on what we saw from him in his first season. Or yeah, go ahead and judge him if you like but let's be realistic with our expectations. Fox wasn't a knockdown shooter but he also didn't look hopeless. He'll be fine in a couple years. And his speed and ability to get into the lane will be a huge asset next to Doncic or anyone else in the starting lineup. We could put a spot-up shooter there but I feel like you're losing more than you're getting back in that scenario. Fox is a jet with the ball in his hands, he's a willing defender with potential to improve on that end once he gets stronger and knows the league better, he's a factor on the boards, and he can break down defenders and create good shots. He's not a reliable spot-up shooter yet but if he can add that to his game that's the complete package. Let's give him a chance to figure it out before we deem him unfit for the current direction of the league.
Ya can’t judge Fox off 1 year and more importantly not when we’re not running enough pick and roll ran

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Any suggestion he would stay in Europe for 3 more years is insane.. it does not make sense for him financially either. If he's the #1 pick, he'd make more money in the states than he would overseas. Real Madrid has a crap ton of money, but I'm pretty sure they have their own basketball budget.

Unless they are willing to make him $7mpy after tax, he wouldn't stay. CSKA Moscow offered Teodosic $4mpy which would've made him one of the highest paid players in Euroleague ever.

It makes even less sense when you're talking potential supermax money.

if he stays: by 22yearsold, 4 years $100million
if he comes: by 23yearsold, 5 years $146million

and you do know there's different brackets based on NBA experience too right? So Doncic could be looking at less money after his max contract is up. Another thing you didn't consider is Restricted Free Agency. In the first scenario, he'd be a RFA after that contract expires. He'd be a 26yearold RFA. In the 2nd scenario he'd be a 28yearold UFA.

I don't think it makes any sense to suggest that Doncic would wait 3 years before coming over just so he can negotiate a bigger deal. In reality, all he'd has to do is play 1 more year under the rookie salary which would be $10million in last year..which is more than any European team can offer.

Bogdan's situation was entirely different. Bogdan is also nowhere near as good as Doncic coming out of the draft. There's a reason why he was picked at 28, whereas Doncic is a potential #1 pick.
One of the reasons that Bogdanovic was picked at 28 is because he was under contract, and the Sun's had no guarantee he would come over. So they looked at him as a stash pick who would eventually come over. But when they decided they just had to have Chriss, and Vlade wouldn't do the deal without Bog's thrown in, they reluctantly let him go. It's rare for a team to use a high pick on a player if they don't think he'll play for them for a couple of years. The Kings actually did that when they drafted Peja.

One of the reasons that Bogdanovic was picked at 28 is because he was under contract, and the Sun's had no guarantee he would come over. So they looked at him as a stash pick who would eventually come over. But when they decided they just had to have Chriss, and Vlade wouldn't do the deal without Bog's thrown in, they reluctantly let him go. It's rare for a team to use a high pick on a player if they don't think he'll play for them for a couple of years. The Kings actually did that when they drafted Peja.
I remember the rumor was that the Suns were super pissed because Bogdan refused to come over that summer, because of the contract ramifications.

The Suns wanted Bogdan to come over when he would had been under the cheap rookie scale for the #28 pick and when Bogdan refused , then Vlade got the suns to include him in the Chriss trade.

The rest is Kings history! :)

Any suggestion he would stay in Europe for 3 more years is insane.. it does not make sense for him financially either. If he's the #1 pick, he'd make more money in the states than he would overseas. Real Madrid has a crap ton of money, but I'm pretty sure they have their own basketball budget.

Unless they are willing to make him $7mpy after tax, he wouldn't stay. CSKA Moscow offered Teodosic $4mpy which would've made him one of the highest paid players in Euroleague ever.

It makes even less sense when you're talking potential supermax money.

if he stays: by 22yearsold, 4 years $100million
if he comes: by 23yearsold, 5 years $146million

and you do know there's different brackets based on NBA experience too right? So Doncic could be looking at less money after his max contract is up. Another thing you didn't consider is Restricted Free Agency. In the first scenario, he'd be a RFA after that contract expires. He'd be a 26yearold RFA. In the 2nd scenario he'd be a 28yearold UFA.

I don't think it makes any sense to suggest that Doncic would wait 3 years before coming over just so he can negotiate a bigger deal. In reality, all he'd has to do is play 1 more year under the rookie salary which would be $10million in last year..which is more than any European team can offer.

Bogdan's situation was entirely different. Bogdan is also nowhere near as good as Doncic coming out of the draft. There's a reason why he was picked at 28, whereas Doncic is a potential #1 pick.
The one thing to remember is European reported salaries are net taxes and agent fees. In addition, Luka gets significant press and endorsement value playing in Madrid.

hrdboild

Staff member
I’m curious what our Balkan friends @ParniValjak and @burekijogurt are hearing about Doncic. I’m not convinced he comes over right away to play on a rookie scale contract. He can make pretty good coin playing for Real Madrid and can easily wait the three years to sign.
If he's a top 3 pick that's a decent starting contract and the chance to establish himself as a star and hit free agency at a younger age with an opportunity for a max contract that will dwarf what he could make staying in the Euroleague. For a rotational player taken with a lower pick like Bogdan, once he'd already waited 2 years it made sense to keep waiting and come in with a salary starting at 9 million a year instead of around 1 million. The rookie scale is not kind to players taken outside of the top 10. It'll be a totally different situation for Luka. As long as the team that drafts him is willing to give him minutes (and at the top of the lotto I don't see why they wouldn't want that) its to his benefit to start his free agent clock as soon as possible and maximize his earning potential. The NBA salary structure is heavily weighted to benefit star players.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If he's a top 3 pick that's a decent starting contract and the chance to establish himself as a star and hit free agency at a younger age with an opportunity for a max contract that will dwarf what he could make staying in the Euroleague. For a rotational player taken with a lower pick like Bogdan, once he'd already waited 2 years it made sense to keep waiting and come in with a salary starting at 9 million a year instead of around 1 million. The rookie scale is not kind to players taken outside of the top 10. It'll be a totally different situation for Luka. As long as the team that drafts him is willing to give him minutes (and at the top of the lotto I don't see why they wouldn't want that) its to his benefit to start his free agent clock as soon as possible and maximize his earning potential. The NBA salary structure is heavily weighted to benefit star players.
Yeah this pretty much nailed it. He is projected to be in a completely different stratosphere than Bogs. I would think he could maximize his career potential earnings as a top 2 pick and even if he doesn't become a star he could use the threat of going back to Europe to maximize his earnings either way.

Great game for Luka in game 4, which led Real Madrid to Euroleague f4.
17 points (5/9 fg), 5 assists, 4 rebounds for 28 minutes, and big clutch three ....

Next 2 games (final 4 of Euroleague) are probably the most important games of the season.

If available to the Kings, Doncic would be a solid BPA choice. However, even if Doncic were envisioned as our SF, his arrival will (or should) cause us to make some other personnel changes. The reason is because, while he has everything else going for him, he's not a great athlete. And neither is Bogi or Buddy. How can a team be successful in today's NBA with three key backcourt and wing players not being great athletes?

If available to the Kings, Doncic would be a solid BPA choice. However, even if Doncic were envisioned as our SF, his arrival will (or should) cause us to make some other personnel changes. The reason is because, while he has everything else going for him, he's not a great athlete. And neither is Bogi or Buddy. How can a team be successful in today's NBA with three key backcourt and wing players not being great athletes?
We’d be fine with Bogdan, Buddy, and a Doncic that’s not a problem at all

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Great game for Luka in game 4, which led Real Madrid to Euroleague f4.
17 points (5/9 fg), 5 assists, 4 rebounds for 28 minutes, and big clutch three ....

Next 2 games (final 4 of Euroleague) are probably the most important games of the season.
Yeah, I watched the game, and Real Madrid almost let the game get away from them. They had a 21 pt lead at one point and started playing kill the clock a little too early. But good game by Doncic who finally broke out of his shooting slump. It's amazing how many USA players are playing in Europe. Mike James had a very good game for Panathinaikos. Anthony Randolph and Jeffery Taylor were both on the Real Madrid team. Looking forward to the next game.

hrdboild

Staff member
Yeah, I watched the game, and Real Madrid almost let the game get away from them. They had a 21 pt lead at one point and started playing kill the clock a little too early. But good game by Doncic who finally broke out of his shooting slump. It's amazing how many USA players are playing in Europe. Mike James had a very good game for Panathinaikos. Anthony Randolph and Jeffery Taylor were both on the Real Madrid team. Looking forward to the next game.
Chris Singleton sighting! I'm glad to see he's still playing professional basketball.

Every time more footage trickles out of Doncic crossing guys up and launching step back threes my hype level goes up another couple notches. At this point I'm more excited about Luka coming into the NBA than I have been about another prospect in at least 10 years. I don't care where this guy ends up, I will watch his games.

Unless we miraculously jump Phoenix, we have no shot at Doncic. Suns just hired Utah Jazz assistant coach Igor Kokoskov.... first European-born HC in the NBA. He's from Serbia. He's also the headcoach for the Slovenia national team.... yeah....

If we went with a line up that featured an athletic point guard (check, Fox), power forward (check, Giles or Skal,) and center (check, WCS), then I don't see an issue with having Doncic and Bogdanovic in the starting line up together. Not every team in the league has five great athletes on the court at any one time. It is just a case of making sure the roster is constructed and the lines up are adjusted accordingly to make up for any short comings these players may or may not have. Same goes for the bench unit, make sure there is a good mix between great athletes and lesser athletes, to help create balance. Then again, some players don't possess great athleticism yet manage to hang with players with superior athleticism because of their work effort and skill set. So I wouldn't be too worried about the Doncic selection if we got the chance to pick him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Chris Singleton sighting! I'm glad to see he's still playing professional basketball.

Every time more footage trickles out of Doncic crossing guys up and launching step back threes my hype level goes up another couple notches. At this point I'm more excited about Luka coming into the NBA than I have been about another prospect in at least 10 years. I don't care where this guy ends up, I will watch his games.
Yeah, I've seen Singleton play several times this season and he's playing very well. His outside shot is flat as hell, but it goes in, so it's hard to argue with success. I've heard that he wants to give the NBA another shot. I'll be curious to see if he's there at summer league. Another player that's impressed me this season is Mike James. He has been playing very well and I think he can definitely play in the NBA.

Luka Doncic just posted a triple double in 22minutes.

17pts 10rebs 10asts on 4-4FG(three 3pters) and 6-6FTs

Didn't watch the game..but wow. Hrmms. If we only had the #1 pick.... once in a generation European player comes, and we have 5.3% chance at getting him. oh well.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Luka Doncic just posted a triple double in 22minutes.

17pts 10rebs 10asts on 4-4FG(three 3pters) and 6-6FTs

Didn't watch the game..but wow. Hrmms. If we only had the #1 pick.... once in a generation European player comes, and we have 5.3% chance at getting him. oh well.
if the Kings got the number one pick, you know what would happen to that player? he would bust and/or disappoint and not live up to the potential where as if he was drafted to any other of the lottery teams except maybe Orlando, he would blossom into a star. So with that said, the Kings have to keep trying to get their star with picks in the 6-10 range, which is not impossible but even that they can't get right so it's a endless loop until then.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We will make a play for him for sure. Fox will be offered its just a matter of if the team(s) with the top picks would see that as fair value
what gives you the idea that Fox will be included in any trade after his rookie season, who the team was really high on pre-draft workouts and post? This is all speculation on our part.

Status
Not open for further replies.