Las Vegas Summer League

1-5 defender with a good handle/playmaking ability is just not going to bust. How impactful he becomes will be how he develops his shot and offense. At a bare minimum, I think you're getting Kyle Anderson.
I had Barnes > Cunningham pre-draft.

Charlotte has Bouknight handling the primary guard duties. Good for development, but dude is not a primary ball handler.

Kai Jones looks less explosive than I assumed. Looks very much like one of those Kings picks of years past like Skal, Willie, and Bags. Kinda soft. Early though.

Sengun with 8 free throw attempts in the first quarter. Drawing fouls is looking like it will translate. 3 or 4 rebounds so far. Hasn’t been tested much defensively but has held his own so far.

edit just got a steal too.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Sengun with 8 free throw attempts in the first quarter. Drawing fouls is looking like it will translate. 3 or 4 rebounds so far. Hasn’t been tested much defensively but has held his own so far.

edit just got a steal too.
Yeah, dude looks exactly like Kanter out there. He's really good off pick and roll but the guards aren't even looking for him.

Jalen Green looks good, doesn’t get his teammates involved so far but no question he can score.

nothing much from Mobley yet

Sengun 9 points 9 rebounds 2 steals and a block so far. Really awful first 3 point attempt :D . Teammates basically ignored him other than the swing pass on the perimeter.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That's the thing, he's not really that explosive. Full court he's really good as a rim runner.
Yep. Kai was one of those dudes where the measurable and workout tapes never really matched with the in-game footage. Still think he winds up being an effective big in the league but not the dark horse sleeper some pundits thought he would be back in mid-May for some reason.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Also the Blazers summer league team is playing three bonafide NBA vets and barely beating this Hornets squad playing Bouknight at small forward for some reason.

Yeah it's good news he's beating up the Summer league bigs. Looks real skilled with the ball.

I think what everyone is waiting for is how his size matches with NBA C's. I don't think anyone every doubted his talent
And his defense. So far, he's going to struggle with pick and roll and getting his shot off against some bigs at the rim.

He had like three or four wide open slips to the hoop that Jalen Green blatantly ignored to do what he does best, that is ridiculous iso scoring
If I'm the Rox, I'm totally fine with Green ignoring everyone else at this point, haha. The other guys need a talking to though for sure. Dude sets a great screen, rolls tight, and you freeze him out? No way.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Also, starting to watch the VOD replay of the Celtics-Hawks game and really not seeing much from Nesmith that would really excite me if we had traded Barnes for him at the deadline. But the Celtics are playing super small so maybe it’s just positional hijinks

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
on the flip side he has 3 blocks and 2 steals so far. Hard to tell how he will do with his shot but he hasn’t had much opportunity in this game.
The Cavs are currently running their offense through Okoro and Broderick Thomas and Thomas has looked like he doesn’t belong in summer league let alone the NBA and Okoro, as much as I love his defense and role player wiles, is absolutely not a good shot creator at this point in his career. Sengun is trying out there but it’s not like the Cavs are making things hard for him.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean this in the most respectful way possible but I am glad Kabengele got cut from the team literally the day after we traded for him. The rebounding’s nice but just about everything else is below the level of the bigs already on the Kings roster.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean this as a compliment but Sengun reminds me of Jack Cooley. He knows he’s a smaller big and knows how to compensate for it around the rim