Las Vegas Summer League

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Much like their actual roster the Clippers have a roster of nothing but 6’5”-6’8” wings but are getting roasted by the Bucks.

Eh, I left a fortune 100 company 3 years ago (after 15 years of service) and didn’t get any more of a send off than Kyle Guy did.

Too much entitlement these days, especially from kids that barely get their feet wet in the org.

I like Kyle Guy, but stop it already.
Apples to oranges though.

Fortune 100 company has 5k+ employees, assuming it's a multi-national. An NBA team has maybe 100 employees with about 20% of the employee pool that are extremely high profile (the players and execs). One is a behemoth. The other is essentially a small company.

But forget emotions. It's just a dumb way to run a business. The SF Giants rebuilt their company culture after a McKinsey study where they recognized that they're a small employer and that their brand was built off the back of the high profile 20%. So they've been proactive about bringing back former stars and non-star players, employing them, and even paying for health benefits of non-employee former players. There's a reason why the Giants have been winning consistently over the last 20 years while the Kings have been mired in a Maloof to Vivek malaise for 15 years.

Finished that Magic game before bed last night and Suggs looks outstanding. It was like Suggs was defending all 5 offensive players at once. It seemed like almost any time someone was taking a shot or at the rim, Suggs was there going for a steal, block or trying to take a charge. He was absolutely everywhere on the court.

He's going to be fun to watch but very annoying when the Kings play against him.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Vlade sucked as a GM, but think he would’ve done things differently:

Yeah, this does suck. Over the course of a single year you have, what, 20 guys tops on the roster including two-ways and 10-days? And turnover any given year is probably closer to 10 players at most? The GM has got to make the time to give a departing player a call to say thank you and good luck going forward unless the guy absolutely burned his bridges on the way out of town, and I doubt Guy did that. Hopefully Monte realizes that before too long.

Yeah, this does suck. Over the course of a single year you have, what, 20 guys tops on the roster including two-ways and 10-days? And turnover any given year is probably closer to 10 players at most? The GM has got to make the time to give a departing player a call to say thank you and good luck going forward unless the guy absolutely burned his bridges on the way out of town, and I doubt Guy did that. Hopefully Monte realizes that before too long.
Pretty much. That's just basic decency. But even from a purely instrumental perspective, much better to earn a reputation as an organization that treats players - and all employees - well, even on their way out the door. That stuff matters.

Finished that Magic game before bed last night and Suggs looks outstanding. It was like Suggs was defending all 5 offensive players at once. It seemed like almost any time someone was taking a shot or at the rim, Suggs was there going for a steal, block or trying to take a charge. He was absolutely everywhere on the court.

He's going to be fun to watch but very annoying when the Kings play against him.
he needs to pass the ball..

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’ll give the benefit of doubt here in that this season ended really weirdly without a G-League coach and the team still in flux and Guy still working out and training with Rico Hines until mid-July and maybe Guy’s phone call just got lost in the shuffle as the player dev department got overhauled?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I’ll give the benefit of doubt here in that this season ended really weirdly without a G-League coach and the team still in flux and Guy still working out and training with Rico Hines until mid-July and maybe Guy’s phone call just got lost in the shuffle as the player dev department got overhauled?
Hopefully?

I think this can still be fixed with a pretty simple apology. It's just, as @Woot! said, we need to be a franchise that is seen around the league as being respectful to its players. It's not like we can draw in free agents with the nightlife, so we need to stand out somehow, and treating players right is a relatively obvious way to do that.

Eh, I left a fortune 100 company 3 years ago (after 15 years of service) and didn’t get any more of a send off than Kyle Guy did.

Too much entitlement these days, especially from kids that barely get their feet wet in the org.

I like Kyle Guy, but stop it already.
The NBA is a totally different thing. It's based on some sort of idea of "family" and "honor" and as BS as it may actually be in reality it's all perception in pro sports. Honor to a city is slowly fading with a lot of players pretty much out for themselves openly but these are very coddled individuals for the most part. And they are also a little more sensitive to criticism than you would see in the past but they also have to deal with worldwide critique all at once with social media. And that critique is typically full on troll level to downright frightening and threatening. You can't be doing these types of things as a team otherwise you will develop a rep. Vivek running this team like a tech firm has been one of the biggest problems since he took over. You have to play the game better than that.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The NBA is a totally different thing. It's based on some sort of idea of "family" and "honor" and as BS as it may actually be in reality it's all perception in pro sports. Honor to a city is slowly fading with a lot of players pretty much out for themselves openly but these are very coddled individuals for the most part. And they are also a little more sensitive to criticism than you would see in the past but they also have to deal with worldwide critique all at once with social media. And that critique is typically full on troll level to downright frightening and threatening. You can't be doing these types of things as a team otherwise you will develop a rep. Vivek running this team like a tech firm has been one of the biggest problems since he took over. You have to play the game better than that.
To be fair, I feel like this wouldn't have happened to anyone on the team aside from Kyle Guy, who, while certainly showing signs of being an NBA level shooter, was largely only on the team because Vlade signed him to a two year two-way contract and we were in a pandemic season where it was hard to bring potential replacements in on a whim due to COVID restrictions.

To be fair, I feel like this wouldn't have happened to anyone on the team aside from Kyle Guy, who, while certainly showing signs of being an NBA level shooter, was largely only on the team because Vlade signed him to a two year two-way contract and we were in a pandemic season where it was hard to bring potential replacements in on a whim due to COVID restrictions.
Maybe not this specifically, but you can't even count the amount of draft picks and FA's that felt insulted and disrespected by this franchise since Vivek took over. There is for sure a healthy amount of individuals who do not look back on their time in Sacramento fondly. Some of which are currently on the roster now.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Cade versus Jalen on ESPN

Kings announcer Mark Jones and Doris Burke on the call. Why'd they have to schedule the Kings game against this one?