Las Vegas Summer League

sure but to be valuable in the NBA he has to be able to shoot the 3.
Indeed, and while the prospect exists that Mitchell's shooting last season was a bit of a mirage, the one thing that's clear to me about the rook is that he's an endlessly-focused gym rat. If he needs to improve his free throw shooting and outside shot in order to be of long-term value in the NBA, he's going to put in the overtime to make it happen. Mitchell may not have been my choice at #9, but there is a lot to like about him. He's going to be a tone setter as one of the hardest workers on the team. Perhaps he won't be where Kings fans might like him to be as a shooter by the end of year one. But year two and beyond? I like the kid's chances.

Vinny Benedetto @VBenedetto
The Nuggets Summer League team is "delayed until further notice" due to ongoing health and safety protocols, per a team release. Denver's supposed to play its first game Sunday.

Harrison Wind @HarrisonWind
Nuggets just announced that their Summer League training camp has been delayed until further notice due to continuing health and safety protocols.

Katy Winge @katywinge
The Nuggets have delayed their Summer League mini-camp due to health and safety protocols. NBA Summer League begins on Sunday in Vegas. pic.twitter.com/BkuJv9F2Km

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Hopefully Louis King is on notice that there's a lot of minutes on the NBA squad ready for the taking.
Fox || Mitchell
Hali || Davis

Holmes || TT (bleh) || Len

Barnes has 34-36 locked up at the 3/4 and we'll probably see like 10-15 minutes of 3 guard lineups with Davis and Mitchell. Other than that though, There's like 50 minutes available at the 3/4 slot, depending on if Buddy is here or not. Real opportunity for King to continue to show that scoring ability from the Cali Classic.

Fox || Mitchell
Hali || Davis

Barnes has 34-36 locked up at the 3/4 and we'll probably see like 10-15 minutes of 3 guard lineups with Davis and Mitchell. Other than that though, There's like 50 minutes available at the 3/4 slot, depending on if Buddy is here or not. Real opportunity for King to continue to show that scoring ability from the Cali Classic.
All this focus on Holmes deleting Twitter posts and no one notices that he lists himself in his bio as a “forward” smh

Fox || Mitchell
Hali || Davis

He's shown he can play defense adequately. He can run the pick and roll but probably won't need to much in the big leagues. Last year in the G League he shot 46% from 3 on almost 4 attempts per game. Has shot 36% in the NBA, albeit small sample size. Doesn't look like he trusts his shot too much which is worrisome since 3&D is probably all he would be asked to do for the most part. Unless something changes, it's kind of his job for the taking. He just needs to go out there and look solid in SL and not try to do too much. Defend, hustle and hit some shots and he has as good a chance as anybody.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Fox || Mitchell
Hali || Davis

If you look at last year's minutes, I don't think there's anywhere near 50 minutes available at the 3/4 at the moment:
Fox (1) - 35 mpg
Hali (1/2/3) - 30 mpg
Hield (2/3) - 34 mpg
Davis (2/3) - 21 mpg
Harkless (3) - 25 mpg
Barnes (3/4) - 36 mpg
Bagley (4/5) - 26 mpg
Holmes (5) - 29 mpg
Metu (5) - 14 mpg

That comes up to 250 minutes (out of the 240 minutes that a regulation game has) - and we haven't doled any minutes out to Mitchell yet, not to mention Len or TT. Now, there will be injuries here and there that will free up some minutes, and Harkless probably doesn't get 25 mpg again, but on the team as constructed now, if it stays healthy there won't be many free minutes at all.

He's shown he can play defense adequately. He can run the pick and roll but probably won't need to much in the big leagues. Last year in the G League he shot 46% from 3 on almost 4 attempts per game. Has shot 36% in the NBA, albeit small sample size. Doesn't look like he trusts his shot too much which is worrisome since 3&D is probably all he would be asked to do for the most part. Unless something changes, it's kind of his job for the taking. He just needs to go out there and look solid in SL and not try to do too much. Defend, hustle and hit some shots and he has as good a chance as anybody.
Yeah, honestly I was stunned at King being so comfortable with on-ball creation and getting to the rim. Maybe he did this at the end of last year and i just don't remember, but I thought he was just a long 3&D guy. Didn't expect the on-ball skill-set at all that he showed in both games.

Yeah, honestly I was stunned at King being so comfortable with on-ball creation and getting to the rim. Maybe he did this at the end of last year and i just don't remember, but I thought he was just a long 3&D guy. Didn't expect the on-ball skill-set at all that he showed in both games.
I feel like him and Terence Davis may eventually become interchangeable in that way, long combo guards that can come in, handle the ball a bit and get hot

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
In T&M, Scottie Barnes has had a very quiet debut so far. Immanuel Quickley showing off a really really ugly form on his three ball, and getting concomitant results. Malachi Flynn best player on the floor so far.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
He’s definitively going to be a player in the league. He looks like a full time 4 though so it will be really interesting how they handle the Siakam Situation.
It's interesting, they're running Barnes almost primarily at PF. He's switched up here and there but they are looking for him to improve on that shot for sure. The upside on Barnes is ridiculous. At the 4 on the clear out he could be something very unique.

It's interesting, they're running Barnes almost primarily at PF. He's switched up here and there but they are looking for him to improve on that shot for sure. The upside on Barnes is ridiculous. At the 4 on the clear out he could be something very unique.
i think Barnes could be a bust given his lack of shooting and poor jump but we shall see

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
As the game goes on, Barnes is bringing out all the tools except the shot. I think he does too much to really bust, but the shot will determine whether he's a rotation player or a star.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
i think Barnes could be a bust given his lack of shooting and poor jump but we shall see
I think he'll at least be a decent wing/big defender at the very least. Franchise offensive player? Probably not but if used right you never know. He's got some of those Giannis abilities. He's still very young so those are the ones to gamble on.

Siakam was at the game. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything but I wonder if he got assurance that he was still part of the core? If the team drafted my replacement and I was in a bunch of trade rumors I don’t know how eager I’d be to attend a summer league game. Then again he could just be hanging out with Fred and the boys.