[Game] Kings @ Wolves, 11/17/21 5pm Pacific 8pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Disagree and Tristan isn't our leader fox is. And by him saying pretty much we have no star (and we dont) is a diss on our max potential star who thinks he's already a star. Therefore we need a coach for motivation more than ever. Not a bench player who's never really been good trying to be the leader we don't need.
There is no planet that De’Aaron Fox is a leader.

Best talent =/= automatic leader

The two players best equipped to lead are Hali and Mitchell. That’s the Kings backcourt of the future. It should be the back court of the present.
I agree that Mitchell is a leader, but he doesn't look like a starting point guard, at least not yet. He's been bad offensively and his passing isn't very fluid. At 23 years old it's fair to question how much either of those things improve as well. I still think he is going to be a key guy on the team going forward though.

Can we just all collectively move to a new team? I'm 29, been a fan of this team for 17 years and they're just so exhausting to continue to believe in. Unfortunately I'm like 100% on the sunk cost fallacy ship and want some return
Good chunks of this fanbase have already done this. Half the city are now Warrior fans. Anyone that wants to bail is more than justified at this point though. Especially now when it's becoming more and more clear that this current rebuild is going nowhere and we will probably have to do another rebuild at some point. How much longer does someone continue to waste their time?

We've essentially had the same main core for a few years now with Fox, Buddy, Barnes and Holmes. They've never been a winning team. Throw in Walton, who you know doesn't get the most out of his players, and the Kings basically have no shot at being a playoff team in their current situation. They still probably wouldn't be a playoff team, even if they had a better coach. Adding in role players here and there isn't going to fix the core issue here.

It's what happens when you do things like "soft tank" and never go all in one way or the other. The rebuild ended when they drafted a bust with the #2 pick and that was the big mistake.

I agree that Mitchell is a leader, but he doesn't look like a starting point guard, at least not yet. He's been bad offensively and his passing isn't very fluid. At 23 years old it's fair to question how much either of those things improve as well. I still think he is going to be a key guy on the team going forward though.
Bet on the work ethic and the attitude.

Can we just all collectively move to a new team? I'm 29, been a fan of this team for 17 years and they're just so exhausting to continue to believe in. Unfortunately I'm like 100% on the sunk cost fallacy ship and want some return
Closest I ever got was when Tyreke went to the Pels, but in hindsight I'm not sure being a Pels fan would be any better. Always been a Kings regular season, Spurs playoffs guy, so the post-Duncan years have been tough too.

Honestly, keep the community of this site and I'd be totally on board jumping ship.

We've essentially had the same main core for a few years now with Fox, Buddy, Barnes and Holmes. They've never been a winning team. Throw in Walton, who you know doesn't get the most out of his players, and the Kings basically have no shot at being a playoff team in their current situation. They still probably wouldn't be a playoff team, even if they had a better coach. Adding in role players here and there isn't going to fix the core issue here.

It's what happens when you do things like "soft tank" and never go all in one way or the other. The rebuild ended when they drafted a bust with the #2 pick and that was the big mistake.
There is a talent deficit on this team.

Holmes should be a bench big. Folks are going to take that as a diss. It's not. I like Holmes, but he's in the wrong role. Kings need an upgrade at the 5 spot.

Buddy is finally in his best role as a 6th man.

Fox is starting caliber, but even at his best, he's a borderline all star. He was trending well, but his ceiling has gone from Tony Parker/Mike Conley to a poor man's Russ or a starting caliber Leandro Barbosa. Good not great. If he wants to play like Russ, his motor needs to jump 3x. That motor is not there.

Barnes is a starting caliber 3. Good not great.

The 4 spot is a hole.

Hali is starting caliber, but his arc is just ramping up. Needs to get bigger in order to penetrate better.

Davion is a rookie, who I think will be a two way beast.

That's it.

For perspective, an equally horrible Minny has KAT and Edwards. Either of those players would rank above any of the Kings players. It's time to blow it up.

There is a talent deficit on this team.

Holmes should be a bench big. Folks are going to take that as a diss. It's not. I like Holmes, but he's in the wrong role. Kings need an upgrade at the 5 spot.

Buddy is finally in his best role as a 6th man.

Fox is starting caliber, but even at his best, he's a borderline all star. He was trending well, but his ceiling has gone from Tony Parker/Mike Conley to a poor man's Russ or a starting caliber Leandro Barbosa. Good not great. If he wants to play like Russ, his motor needs to jump 3x. That motor is not there.

Barnes is a starting caliber 3. Good not great.

The 4 spot is a hole.

Hali is starting caliber, but his arc is just ramping up. Needs to get bigger in order to penetrate better.

Davion is a rookie, who I think will be a two way beast.

That's it.

For perspective, an equally horrible Minny has KAT and Edwards. Either of those players would rank above any of the Kings players. It's time to blow it up.
I don't know how long will it take for the owner to realize that when you rebuild, you commit to it. You tank to the top, you sell anybody for draft asset, you don't waste your cap on overpaid veterans. Then you do a grand audition to get your next core. You may as well bring in a young and upcoming coach (not named Walton) to grow with them. Pretty sure Monte would go a path like Houston if he is allowed to do so.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't know how long will it take for the owner to realize that when you rebuild, you commit to it. You tank to the top, you sell anybody for draft asset, you don't waste your cap on overpaid veterans. Then you do a grand audition to get your next core. You may as well bring in a young and upcoming coach (not named Walton) to grow with them. Pretty sure Monte would go a path like Houston if he is allowed to do so.
Houston didn't tank though. They just rode out the Yao/T-Mac/Artest core until everyone was old/injured then managed to somehow convince Presti that K-Mart and Jeremy Lamb was a sufficient haul for James Harden.

I’m not sure what a fire sale even Nets us. Fox is probably the only player who might get us a 1st. We saw what Buddy fetched in the market - Kuzbma. I can see a playoff team looking at him or Barnes, but at best you’re getting a late first in the draft (or similarly valued young player). There are no players on the team that haul us the kind of assets that really make a difference. Even selling off our whole roster I’m not sure we get more than 1 lottery pick. Unless you’re trading Davion and Hali which would be extremely dumb for a rebuild.

And we’re already trending towards 10th seed in the west with Walton, even if the wheels fall off and we get closer to Houston level, we are realistically trading a 7-10 pick for a 4-7 pick with slightly better chances at a number one

I don’t see the point in doing that. There is a lot of young talent on this team. With a great coach they could make the playoffs, especially in a weaker western conference than we’ve seen in decades.

Just doesn’t make any sense to me to unload all our players for lateral talent and praying we hit gold. We already have a lot of young talent. Yes we need a new coach. But selling off our young talent for a slightly better shot at the number 1 pick is how you guarantee the team never gets better

I’m not sure what a fire sale even Nets us. Fox is probably the only player who might get us a 1st. We saw what Buddy fetched in the market - Kuzbma. I can see a playoff team looking at him or Barnes, but at best you’re getting a late first in the draft (or similarly valued young player). There are no players on the team that haul us the kind of assets that really make a difference. Even selling off our whole roster I’m not sure we get more than 1 lottery pick. Unless you’re trading Davion and Hali which would be extremely dumb for a rebuild.

And we’re already trending towards 10th seed in the west with Walton, even if the wheels fall off and we get closer to Houston level, we are realistically trading a 7-10 pick for a 4-7 pick with slightly better chances at a number one

I don’t see the point in doing that. There is a lot of young talent on this team. With a great coach they could make the playoffs, especially in a weaker western conference than we’ve seen in decades.

Just doesn’t make any sense to me to unload all our players for lateral talent and praying we hit gold. We already have a lot of young talent. Yes we need a new coach. But selling off our young talent for a slightly better shot at the number 1 pick is how you guarantee the team never gets better
This mentality is why this team fails and will continue to fail. Fox, Hail and Davion barely gets you a 10th seed, with no real upside to even touch the top 8. The core we built was not good enough in the first place.

But anyway I don't think Vivek will go down that road, taking next year's 10th pick and 11th seed seem to satisfy him. I will pray for us to miraculous improve and get into the playin berth.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean Houston last year. Memphis may be a better example.
Houston didn’t really have a choice though because Morey had already gotten rid of every single asset they had in the tank to trade for CP3 and then Russ. The only way they’d have kept their pick was if it ended up worse than OKCs, who were also tanking, which it barely was.

Status
Not open for further replies.