[Game] Kings vs. Warriors, 3/25/21, 7pm PST 10pm EST

At this point we have to put most of our eggs in the Fox/Haliburton basket. If DeAaron can be that big time player we think he is and was tonight and Ty develops his drive game we have a really fantastic foundation. A better coach and depth would go a long way.
let’s say Fox and Haliburton become as good as Portland’s backcourt which is by no means guaranteed. The Kings still have a big hole in the front court. It really doesn’t matter what coach or depth you have you are still at best a 4 seed.

That to me was why tanking this year and getting a Kuminga mattered so much. Fox and Hali are not getting worse and you won’t be close next year nor will you likely have a 5 deep top level talent draft. At that point you are relying on getting a top free agent to join them. Can it happen? Perhaps. Will it happen? Most likely not.

I suspect in 3-5 years we will look back on this trade deadline as a major strategic mistake when Fox leaves to go somewhere else. I hope I’m wrong but we shall see.

let’s say Fox and Haliburton become as good as Portland’s backcourt which is by no means guaranteed. The Kings still have a big hole in the front court. It really doesn’t matter what coach or depth you have you are still at best a 4 seed.

That to me was why tanking this year and getting a Kuminga mattered so much. Fox and Hali are not getting worse and you won’t be close next year nor will you likely have a 5 deep top level talent draft. At that point you are relying on getting a top free agent to join them. Can it happen? Perhaps. Will it happen? Most likely not.

I suspect in 3-5 years we will look back on this trade deadline as a major strategic mistake when Fox leaves to go somewhere else. I hope I’m wrong but we shall see.
and that is certainly a possibility. We are going to have to either get lucky and find a third all star level player later in this draft or next or develop enough young players to package a few of them with future draft picks for that 3rd piece. It would be nice to see Bagley come back and be a force off the bench and increase his trade value. Would be nice to move him for a draft pick.

That seems a bit mellow dramatic. With the way Fox is playing right now, he wins you games regardless of the other 4 players on the court. Unless the team is completely gutted to its core, we aren’t diving all the way down to the complete bottom dwellers. And, if you’re worried about how Fox will feel in 4 to 5 years, you really think he would be pumped to go all tank mode for the next two months?

You know what would be even better? DeAaron making this leap AND us having a top pick next year whne we can really start to make some noise.
Question, i've been asking around the forum. Would you have been fine with the Denver package for Barnes? (Harris, Hampton, 2025 protected 1st). How about the the Miami package for Buddy? (Cap dump) Bagley deals were probably a cap dump as well.

Those essentially are the comp deals I assume we had for Barnes and Buddy around the league. Both Gordon and Dipo were higher regarded than our guys and still went for peanuts. Sellers got absolutely hosed today. Are you truly "tank at all costs", even if we get wrecked in value?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Question, i've been asking around the forum. Would you have been fine with the Denver package for Barnes? (Harris, Hampton, 2025 protected 1st). How about the the Miami package for Buddy? (Cap dump) Bagley deals were probably a cap dump as well.

Those essentially are the comp deals I assume we had for Barnes and Buddy around the league. Both Gordon and Dipo were higher regarded than our guys and still went for peanuts. Sellers got absolutely hosed today. Are you truly "tank at all costs", even if we get wrecked in value?
Pretty much the second all Orlando got for Vuc was a disappointing prospect and two protected picks, I was almost hoping we didn’t choose today to sell off everyone

That seems a bit mellow dramatic. With the way Fox is playing right now, he wins you games regardless of the other 4 players on the court. Unless the team is completely gutted to its core, we aren’t diving all the way down to the complete bottom dwellers. And, if you’re worried about how Fox will feel in 4 to 5 years, you really think he would be pumped to go all tank mode for the next two months?
I assume you mean melodramatic. Kings have done a pretty good job of losing games already this year. If SGA can develop a case of plantar fasciitis I’m sure Fox could also. Especially with the minutes he has been playing.

I'd take that Barnes package. What was the Miami Buddy package? I wouldn't dump Buddy for nothing that's for sure.

Just to clarify, I don't have issues with what we did in trades. But I am not in favor of riding our starters 40mpg to chase the 10th spot for the playins. Would much rather stick to 32mpg rotations, bring in more bench guys like we did today, and let our record fall where it may.

That to me was why tanking this year and getting a Kuminga mattered so much.
It does matter. Just not in the way the shortcut, lacking integrity crowd wants it to matter.

So freaking glad the Kings org themselves see things differently than many of their so called fans.

They may be terrible, but at least they compete and try.

And they’ll eventually turn things around — as they did in 1998 after a long stretch of ineptitude— by doing it the right away. Which in turn will make the winning much more rewarding.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure what we're going to do with Bagley at this point. I certainly hope we're not just giving him the starting job again next year just cos we need to get a look at him. If I'm the Kings next year, Bagley gets the late first round rookie treatment.
A few more games of this and I'm just tempted to say he can take a hike, imperative to get him off the roster.

If they're not going to tank which they're clearly not, at least give it your best as you try to make a playoff run. Nothing would be more Kangz and cement 8th pick status than having Bagley come back for the last 10 or so games to torpedo your last ditch effort.

Let alone the expected regression coming from next year when he's healthy.

I assume you mean melodramatic. Kings have done a pretty good job of losing games already this year. If SGA can develop a case of plantar fasciitis I’m sure Fox could also. Especially with the minutes he has been playing.
Yes, please give me more players that are willing to fake injuries so we can lose. It’s the sign of a true champion in the current nba.

A few more games of this and I'm just tempted to say he can take a hike, imperative to get him off the roster.

If they're not going to tank which they're clearly not, at least give it your best as you try to make a playoff run. Nothing would be more Kangz and cement 8th pick status than having Bagley come back for the last 10 or so games to torpedo your last ditch effort.

Let alone the expected regression coming from next year when he's healthy.
Not to pile on here, but given his track record with injuries, I don't think we have to worry too much about him returning on schedule.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yes, please give me more players that are willing to fake injuries so we can lose. It’s the sign of a true champion in the current nba.
I’m also not down with the idea of our star player developing a debilitating chronic foot condition like plantar fasciitis

Holy ****, please knock on wood. Suggesting that Fox should sit out with a fake injury while he is ascending to the next level of his game just so the Kings have the chance at failing in the lottery again is just asking for a real injury to make us all lose hope.

I've been saying it for a while we just aren't going to lose with Fox around. Haliburton too, who has proven he came here to win.

Later @sactowndog brought up Portland, which is an interesting comparison because while I'm not sure Fox/Hali are directly comparable to Dame/CJ, they certainly project to rate about the same level talent wise. If we get where Portland is now I would be ecstatic. They've rebuilt twice since I moved here, which incidentally was the last year we made the playoffs. And with the exception of two or three of those seasons, they picked below us - they also blew a #1 overall pick (although somewhat more forgivably). I think most folks in my shoes would have given up and become Blazers fans right now, but I'm loyal to my one and only major league hometown team.

I've been saying it for a while we just aren't going to lose with Fox around. Haliburton too, who has proven he came here to win.

Later @sactowndog brought up Portland, which is an interesting comparison because while I'm not sure Fox/Hali are directly comparable to Dame/CJ, they certainly project to rate about the same level talent wise. If we get where Portland is now I would be ecstatic. They've rebuilt twice since I moved here, which incidentally was the last year we made the playoffs. And with the exception of two or three of those seasons, they picked below us - they also blew a #1 overall pick (although somewhat more forgivably). I think most folks in my shoes would have given up and become Blazers fans right now, but I'm loyal to my one and only major league hometown team.
If someone told me you have a 75% chance of being a consistently excellent team, but likely will never win a championship....I would take it after 15 years of suck. I understand shooting for the stars, but the reality is that championship teams in the current NBA are usually either (i) a big market/free agent destination where multiple stars decide they want to join forces to play, or (ii) teams that just freaking lucked into greatness. Even the Warriors dynasty was basically a series of (arguably) fluke events that set them up for a dynasty. Somehow draft curry and thompson low in the lottery. Find a second round gem in green. Curry injury history gets him on a cheap second contract. Durant can't break through in a small market and agrees to join forces...etc. I say you take what you can get as far as championship potential, and hope you luck into a series of events that pushes you over the top.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The fact De’Aaron has taken a leap from borderline all-star to unstoppable force of nature makes us not getting a top prospect this season a little less hard to swallow
All-stars are made in the regular season, Superstars are made in the Postseason. Until he helps the Kings get there and produces, he's all-star caliber and nothing more.

All-stars are made in the regular season, Superstars are made in the Postseason. Until he helps the Kings get there and produces, he's all-star caliber and nothing more.
Tell that to the boys who want to tank every year. Who say there’s no point making the 8th seed only to get swept. You can’t win if you don’t have a horse in the race. And fox can’t be a “superstar” if we’re chasing lottery balls.