[Game] Kings vs. Warriors, 11/13/2022 6pm Pacific, 9pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shooter, scorer, put the ball through the basket guy, whatever you want to call it. You will never again see someone shoot the ball like Stephen Curry. He's a once in a lifetime player. He is a phenomenal talent.
It would have been interesting to see Larry Bird play in this era. I think he had as much shooting talent as anyone

He’s always been too much. I dream of a day a fed up “tough” guy hip-checks him into the third row after one of his stupid dances.
I'm not advocating for someone to take him out (but he is working on it on his own without needing me).

But it's just too much. It's early in the season. His ego is obviously way too big right now.

Missed the game tonight but I'm thrilled with the result! For some reason "We're getting 40 wins this season!" is what popped into my head when I saw the score. Being back at .500 never felt so good! Let's go!
It was not a "pretty" game by any means. But the best thing they did in this game to me is that they had to go through the usual pitfalls that almost every one of our last 16 teams would easily fall deep into, facing every advantage you can think of a reigning champ would have (More specifically what Steph and Draymond can get away with), yet, with the help of the coaching staff, they never let themselves fall all the way through these pitfalls.

The most obvious of this was in that 3rd quarter when the Dubs came out firing, we kept hanging around, never letting the score get far. And starting to frustrate them enough defensively that their bench players were starting to make some schoolboy mistakes.

Everyone seems to be willing to sacrifice their good shot for the better shot (sometimes to a fault, still needs to be fine tune a little bit as a team) and run for each other, that's the part that I can pinpoint as a real culture setter there. All signs seem to be pointing at Coach Brown as the culprit. We shall see.

LOVE these posts from the Warriors reddit page

GP2 didn’t even play in the 18-2 start, Damion Lee was the 6th man. I think Mike Brown was a big loss, the team looks very disorganized. Poole has also regressed significantly.
Remember all the box-and-one and different defenses they used to alternate between during games last season? Mike Brown was controlling the defensive coverages.

Loss of Mike Brown is huge. He’s a motivator and energy guy. Defensive Energy is one the biggest elements the bench is missing this year.

1) Mike Brown is coaching his ass off. Team is listening, He gets on Fox and the others fall in line. He calls timeouts when they need them and the team responds!

2) Now they can be talking about acquiring pieces instead of full rebuild who we gonna draft. Monte appears to have assembled a team to build from and will be interesting what transpires during the trade time.

3) They are fun to watch

I think most importantly too, both Monk/Huerter are developing awesome 2-man games in the PnR with Sabonis. Monk has an insane assist every game now, mainly feeding Sabonis and Huerter really works well in the DHO stuff and still runs the PnR with him quite well.The early returns on them could not be better, such a home-run swing from Monte.

It's pretty clear to me too that Monk is better suited off the bench. He's a sparkplug that makes the team better when he comes in. Really does remind me of the same energy Bobby J brought to our golden years teams.
I agree and it's a luxury to have such a great playmaker coming off the bench at the SG spot - especially when that isn't a huge strength of Davion.

That said, I'd like to see more of Monk and Huerter together, particularly in a Fox, Monk, Huerter, Murray, Sabonis lineup.

Depending on the long-term plan with Barnes (meaning he could be dealt at the deadline) I could see that as a viable starting five.

for awhile I was thinking Barnes was taking a back seat because of the shooters we have now. But as of the last 4 or 5 games he has been so up and done.
A couple of games back against the same team he played 22 minutes an failed to score and last night no rebounds and he isn’t getting to the line either.

Is it just him or is has been put in the position not to perform like standing in the corner.
if that’s where he now as a player then why not package him away at the dead line.

It was not a "pretty" game by any means. But the best thing they did in this game to me is that they had to go through the usual pitfalls that almost every one of our last 16 teams would easily fall deep into, facing every advantage you can think of a reigning champ would have (More specifically what Steph and Draymond can get away with), yet, with the help of the coaching staff, they never let themselves fall all the way through these pitfalls.

The most obvious of this was in that 3rd quarter when the Dubs came out firing, we kept hanging around, never letting the score get far. And starting to frustrate them enough defensively that their bench players were starting to make some schoolboy mistakes.

Everyone seems to be willing to sacrifice their good shot for the better shot (sometimes to a fault, still needs to be fine tune a little bit as a team) and run for each other, that's the part that I can pinpoint as a real culture setter there. All signs seem to be pointing at Coach Brown as the culprit. We shall see.
I actually thought it was a "pretty" game. Some beautiful shooting and ball movement by both teams, lots of back and forth and trading huge basket after huge basket, and some monster stat lines for a few players. I think the Charlotte and LAL games were definitely ugly (but we'll take the W's).

Missed the game tonight but I'm thrilled with the result! For some reason "We're getting 40 wins this season!" is what popped into my head when I saw the score. Being back at .500 never felt so good! Let's go!
We finally have a coach who actively coaches and makes in game adjustments. Warriors, especially Curry, torched us in the first quarter. Brown had them trapping Curry the rest of the game and while he still got his buckets, it forced the ball out of his hands for many of the plays and required the rest of the team to put the ball in the basket. Wiggins held up his end of the bargain but no one else really did.

3rd quarter looked like the Warriors were going to go on one of their patented runs. Klay hit a couple threes in a row and you could tell the momentum was shifting but they weathered the storm. Huerter just consistently hitting 3s seemingly every time the Warriors hit a long ball to stop their momentum.

If Brown is 1A in re culture change, I think Sabonis is 1B.

Plays his a$$ off every minute he's out there, unselfish, talks all the time, constantly encourages his guys, just super positive while holding himself accountable. Whether he's playing well or not, the guy's always locked in. He reminds me of Tyrese in a lot of those ways - relentlessly intense and positive. They would have really enjoyed playing together.

If Brown is 1A in re culture change, I think Sabonis is 1B.

Plays his a$$ off every minute he's out there, unselfish, talks all the time, constantly encourages his guys, just super positive while holding himself accountable. Whether he's playing well or not, the guy's always locked in. He reminds me of Tyrese in a lot of those ways - relentlessly intense and positive. They would have really enjoyed playing together.
I've thought since the beginning that pairing Sabonis and Haliburton was McNair's plan A but the Pacers balked at trading Domas and filler for Fox.

But it doesn't really matter now. I'm happy with this team and I'm sure Indy is happy with Hali.

Sabonis looked good on two pure 3's. Looks like he's added just enough arc on his shot, where it has a better chance to go through. If he can become a respectable outside shooter that teams have to defend out there, this will add another key dynamic to this team.
And there is a possibility that his 3pt shooting keeps improving over the next few seasons. If he and Fox turn into respectable 3 pt shooters, it opens the door to having a super athletic rim runner/shot blocker in the starting lineup (eventually).

As long as Fox plays like he does and Sabonis is who he is, there is really nothing to complain about with the trade.

It’s not like Hali has been better than Fox(or as good, Fox has been even better) or anything and any suggestion that he has is basically “grass is always greener Kangz no matter what” nonsense.

The reason Fox matters to this discussion is because Hali isn’t expendable without Fox. It was a choice to stick with Fox and his play ultimately is as important to the trade as Domas or Hali. Obviously the combination wasn’t going to work as well as our current one. Nobody cares about Buddy even though he’s having a good season lol.

Its kinda sad that the narrative is getting to the point where a lot of Kings fans are starting to root against Tyrese..or find any way to nitpick Sabonis or Fox in order to be right about hating the trade. Tyrese was/is a great King and a good guy…but business has worked out all around so far. That should be good enough for everybody. I’m tired of all this bait.

As it stands now, this is simply a trade that made sense and is working out for both teams. That is incredibly rare but no use trying to pick a winner here. That can change of the Kings dont see the improvements and Domas leaves, but for now, all is well.

Great stuff from Metu since taking over the back-up C slot. He's playing far more intelligently at the 5 and while the 3 ball hasn't been falling, basically all his shots have been open and he's had a few bounce in and out. You can live with those shots.

Defensively, I'm not sure he's the long-term answer at the back-up 5, but he clearly is fitting in extremely well in the dunker spot on offense. If he can EVER get a couple 3's to actually drop, this new Metu at the 5 with just a bit of spacing becomes incredibly valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.