[Game] Kings vs. Warriors, 11/13/2022 6pm Pacific, 9pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ready to call the Kings offense good. They've actually been elite, but we'll wait for more sample to actually make sure. But with how Fox/Sabonis are playing every night and the secondary contribution can just come from 4-5 other guys on any given night. The spacing, the pace, the creation, the different half-court looks playing off Fox or Sabonis. It's all so freaking good. That's reflected in the eye test and basically being at the top of every offensive category.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm ready to call the Kings offense good. They've actually been elite, but we'll wait for more sample to actually make sure. But with how Fox/Sabonis are playing every night and the secondary contribution can just come from 4-5 other guys on any given night. The spacing, the pace, the creation, the different half-court looks playing off Fox or Sabonis. It's all so freaking good. That's reflected in the eye test and basically being at the top of every offensive category.
I want to know what to call the defense.

On the surface they are a fast pace team that gives up a lot but keeps up.

The last few games it really feels like we've owned the final two minutes. Orlando was the only team that really decided to make us spend all of the final two minutes in a free throw drill and that shook us. But we clamped them down in OT and totally froze out Banchero on what had been a star making performance (one of many, but still folks went nuts about that game that we held him scoreless in OT)

It also seems we are closing the second quarter on runs as of late. So there's more to our defense than surface level stats tell, but I don't understand how all the advanced stats work and how they account for closing of halves/crunch time.

The last few games it really feels like we've owned the final two minutes. Orlando was the only team that really decided to make us spend all of the final two minutes in a free throw drill and that shook us. But we clamped them down in OT and totally froze out Banchero on what had been a star making performance (one of many, but still folks went nuts about that game that we held him scoreless in OT)

It also seems we are closing the second quarter on runs as of late. So there's more to our defense than surface level stats tell, but I don't understand how all the advanced stats work and how they account for closing of halves/crunch time.
I think it's bad, but has the gears to kick up, especially when Fox/Davion get moving on the perimeter. It's absolutely a "make-due and beat people with elite offense" squad, kind of as expected. Sabonis has actually done better with rim protection lately, but you're basically praying he's average. Barnes lateral speed is cooked on D and Keegan is a rookie who has his up and downs on defense like every other rookie in NBA history. I do think Monk has been a pleasant surprise on D, but still. You're hoping he and Huerter are around average. You can't look for them to be stopper in any capacity.

Hopefully the draft nerds on the forum come up with some defensive wing stopper types for us to look at this year. That and a rim protector are really the only glaring holes on this roster.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Sabonis, Sabonis, Sabonis. He's a fighter.

Now Keegan Murray. Full disclosure: I am a certified Keegan Murray fanatic. When he cuts hard like freight train and catches and shoots in a flash at the top of three point line with only the cords rippling from the ball going through the net it's a jaw-dropping experience. Murray played with aggression tonight. I loved it when he got the rebound and raced it up the floor for a layup attempt; he missed the shot, but I'd love to see him push the ball more in future games.

Coach Brown talked about how for the very first time this year he walked through "blitzing" (Curry) and for the first time diagrammed a "box and one" defense and the guys played it great. It speaks to the very high BBIQ of this team.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Yes the Kings are an elite offensive team with Sabonis on the court, what we really need to work on is when he isn't on the court now..

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think it's bad, but has the gears to kick up, especially when Fox/Davion get moving on the perimeter. It's absolutely a "make-due and beat people with elite offense" squad, kind of as expected. Sabonis has actually done better with rim protection lately, but you're basically praying he's average. Barnes lateral speed is cooked on D and Keegan is a rookie who has his up and downs on defense like every other rookie in NBA history. I do think Monk has been a pleasant surprise on D, but still. You're hoping he and Huerter are around average. You can't look for them to be stopper in any capacity.

Hopefully the draft nerds on the forum come up with some defensive wing stopper types for us to look at this year. That and a rim protector are really the only glaring holes on this roster.
It certainly feels bad for 44 minutes a game.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan

Well im not sure either but some of the stats out there so far say the Kings aren't as bad as it seems? Opponents have been making an above average clip against contests against the Kings more so at a rate so much higher than every other team somehow, but also there was a stat out there that the Kings are somehow #1 in transition defense? Eye test so far is showing me that it isnt that bad at all.. we've gotten a terrible whistle this season

Status
Not open for further replies.