[Game] Kings vs Nets, 1/5/13 7:30 EST Game Thread

K

KingMilz

Cousins if he can play the way he is now for years to come could actually easily be one of the most easy big men to build around, as long as you got a couple QUAILTY shooters/good defenders the dude can pretty much thrive in any system (other than Mike Dantoni garbage), the guy just has a surplus of talent most big men can only dream about.

Cousins if he can play the way he is now for years to come could actually easily be one of the most easy big men to build around, as long as you got a couple QUAILTY shooters/good defenders the dude can pretty much thrive in any system (other than Mike Dantoni garbage), the guy just has a surplus of talent most big men can only dream about.
ya this 6 game streak has me getting pretty excited. hopefully before trade deadline and then over the offseason the Kings do their best to find some decent talent to surround this man with

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yes it does.

Trouble is we can't jerk out his DNA and insert new DNA. A trade on the other hand would solve the problem. If we could clean up our guards and get a shot blocker, we'd be fine. I'm not saying it will be done this year but I understand there are some shot blockers that might come out in the draft if we can't trade for one. A non shooting PG shouldn't be that hard to find. In an era where shooting is so valued, we are cursed with having too many shooters.

We were in deep doo doo with SFs last year and now that situation seems to be solved with the re-emergence of Salmons and the play of JJ. JJ still needs a little polish but this is only his third year for heaven's sake. He's very good on defense and needs a lot of polish on his offense.

I am very hopeful

And then there are the rumors of the Maloofs being interested in selling. :) None of the above will really help with mismanagement at the top.
This non shooting pg thing is totally wrong-headed. It's as if by miracle a guard that handles the ball, but doesn't shoot one shot, will somehow confer the ability to shoot well to the rest of the team. The team didn't lose tonight because it didn't pass well; it lost because it couldn't make several open shots (and mostly couldn't team defend). Garcia hasn't been able to put the pea in the ocean; neither has Jimmer. And Thornton prior to his injury wasn't the answer either; his shooting for several games was lousy. It could be the kind of thing where collectively they are just in a shooting slump.

ya this 6 game streak has me getting pretty excited. hopefully before trade deadline and then over the offseason the Kings do their best to find some decent talent to surround this man with
There's plenty of talent on this team to surround him with. It just looks a lot worse with Reke and Thornton not playing right now.

Someone needs to slap Smart into simplifying the rotation when we get healthy. IT, Reke, Thornton in the back-court. Cousins, JT, Trob as our bigs. JJ and Salmons holding down the SF. Let JJ get the 4th big minutes and Jimmer get the 4th guard minutes. Cisco, Hayes, Outlaw, and Brooks provide nothing the above guys do and only take away minutes from better players with more potential.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This non shooting pg thing is totally wrong-headed. It's as if by miracle a guard that handles the ball, but doesn't shoot one shot, will somehow confer the ability to shoot well to the rest of the team. The team didn't lose tonight because it didn't pass well; it lost because it couldn't make an several open shot (and mostly couldn't team defend). Garcia hasn't been able to put the pea in the ocean; neither has Jimmer. And Thornton prior to his injury wasn't the answer either; his shooting for several games was lousy. It could be the kind of thing where collectively they are just in a shooting slump.
Look back over the team stats. The PGs haven't been dishing assists. I believe a couple times DFC had more assists than the PGs. So you are saying that the PGs don't have assists because this team which has been near 100 points per game can't shoot? Are you serious?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Look back over the team stats. The PGs haven't been dishing assists. I believe a couple times DFC had more assists than the PGs. So you are saying that the PGs don't have assists because this team which has been near 100 points per game can't shoot? Are you serious?
Tell me: Where can I find stats that inform when when a nice pass has been made by the passer, but isn't converted by the recipient? If you know, I'd really like to know the source. If you don't, then I'll watch the game and actually see what's happening, not use the crutch of a stat to interpret what is happening.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Both our PG's tonight had stretches of selfishness, which often gets lost when they're hitting their shots. But they're regularly looking for their own for stretches every game. We looked best when Cuz was most involved and things ran through him.

IT and Brooks are small combo guards, despite what some around here think. They're also defensive liabilities. Theoretically having Reke on DWill tonight would have mos tlikely produced a different result. It isn't just about DWill scoring either. It's about him getting where he wants and NJ getting into the flow they want to get into. We saw that the last time we playing NJ as well, it was a different game for the stretches Reke was on DWill compared to anyone else.

This non shooting pg thing is totally wrong-headed. It's as if by miracle a guard that handles the ball, but doesn't shoot one shot, will somehow confer the ability to shoot well to the rest of the team. The team didn't lose tonight because it didn't pass well; it lost because it couldn't make several open shots (and mostly couldn't team defend). Garcia hasn't been able to put the pea in the ocean; neither has Jimmer. And Thornton prior to his injury wasn't the answer either; his shooting for several games was lousy. It could be the kind of thing where collectively they are just in a shooting slump.
A guy like Chalmers would be fine for me. Perhaps we can convince the Heat? He knows that in his role he's not the primary ball handler outside of bringing it up the court but he's doing VERY well in his BJ Armstrong/Derek Fisher role and I would go as far as saying that he could be a 14ppg/8apg guy if he's allowed to be an actual PG in a system without three stars (two of the stars being ball handlers). He's a good shooter, and he's a good passer/ball handler. He also knows his role so he doesn't shoot when he's not supposed to.

Edit: Good shooter to me is probably decent shooter to everyone else :) But he does have range, and can hit more than 40% (35%+ on 3s). His stats don't jump out at you but remember his role, and who he's playing with.

Last edited:
A guy like Chalmers would be fine for me. Perhaps we can convince the Heat? He knows that in his role he's not the primary ball handler outside of bringing it up the court but he's doing VERY well in his BJ Armstrong/Derek Fisher role and I would go as far as saying that he could be a 14ppg/8apg guy if he's allowed to be an actual PG in a system without three stars (two of the stars being ball handlers). He's a good shooter, and he's a good passer/ball handler. He also knows his role so he doesn't shoot when he's not supposed to.

Edit: Good shooter to me is probably decent shooter to everyone else :) But he does have range, and can hit more than 40% (35%+ on 3s). His stats don't jump out at you but remember his role, and who he's playing with.
Chalmers is the quintessential PG in today's NBA for team's with star back-court players who aren't PG's. As you said, he's a great 3pt shooter, he's a really strong defender, and he can create for others and himself when called upon. Miami knows this though and wouldn't give him up for peanuts.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

I like Chalmers very much for that role, I've cited him before as an example of a guy playing it the way you need to next to stars. But unfortunately he's also very good for that role in Miami. Not sure how we would tempt them. If they were dumb, Brooks? Hayes? But they aren't dumb.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I like Chalmers very much for that role, I've cited him before as an example of a guy playing it the way you need to next to stars. But unfortunately he's also very good for that role in Miami. Not sure how we would tempt them. If they were dumb, Brooks? Hayes? But they aren't dumb.
Three team trade.

Reke and Cuz out, Chalmers and Sullinger in. Make it happen, Petrie.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Tell me: Where can I find stats that inform when when a nice pass has been made by the passer, but isn't converted by the recipient? If you know, I'd really like to know the source. If you don't, then I'll watch the game and actually see what's happening, not use the crutch of a stat to interpret what is happening.
I'm not into game playing. You picked on a statement I made and now you think it is my responsibility to prove you are right. Not today and not ever.

Early on in this game they had some success fronting Cuz with Reggie Evans forcing him way out onto the perimeter, or stopping him getting the ball all together, and of course up the other end they were hitting ridiculous contested threes, and getting all the 50/50 balls. Cuz nearly, nearly brought us back into the game on his own but absolutely no one was hitting their shots around him so we lost, simple as that.

Interestingly if you watch the highlights cuz can audibly be heard telling AB to "Pass the ******* ball" and i remember them two being spoken to by coach Smart against Toronto after jawing with each other.

Bad couple of nights for Jimmer wasn't it, seemed to be in that head down mode from last season, not seeing the floor, dribbling into blind alleys. That said i thought we'd got past the point where he was going to be a "ballhandler" in the NBA, clearly not.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Interestingly if you watch the highlights cuz can audibly be heard telling AB to "Pass the ******* ball" and i remember them two being spoken to by coach Smart against Toronto after jawing with each other.
Yes I clearly heard that myself watching the game and it will be noted in the grades. Happened on a fastbreak that Boogie ended cleanign up with a follow dunk after Brooks missed a contested layup. And he didn't jsut tell Brooks to pass the ball (as in dump it back to Cuz in the middle for the dunk), he screamed at him to do so after the dunk. Which isn't great actually. And is a little ironic given that Brooks led us in assists.

So, what does the rotation go to with everyone healthy? Does Smart actually limit the bench this time around? Here's what I would work withi

IT
Reke
Salmons
JT
Cousins

Thornton
Robinson
JJ
Jimmer
I like
Evans
Garcia
Salmons
Thompson
Cousins
Or
Jimmer
Evans
Salmons
Thompson
Cousins
With Evans and Salmons being the primary ball handlers.