[Game] Kings vs. Lakers, 4/2/2021, 7pm PST 10pm EST

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
No bones about it, teams are going to go all in with the 3's against the Kings help D from here on. They've even had the Spurs relenting and just taking them.

Gee, this is shocking.

i pray we do that thing where we suddenly turn it on and hit a bunch of threes, but .. i just don’t know.

A lot of it is straight shot-making. Kings missing a lot of open shoots. Lakers, not so much.

Whatever. Kings had every incentive to come back strong tonight. Losing by 18 in the 4th to a team w/out its two superstars really blows.
Part of it is and Fox is off for sure. The issue is the attack plan was clear from the first play on and this DOESN'T play to the strengths of a 5 man unit that has turned into a league best. Maybe outside of Fox and Barnes but they both need space. You have to force teams to give space, driving in and attempting to destroy teams from all angles and all positions in the paint is the opposite of modern Bball.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately, these last few game are why I think the playoffs have always been a dream. When De’Aaron isn’t going supernova... we lose.

He’s gone supernova for exactly two stretches of games this season, which have been good for about 14 wins of our 22 total.

What’s our record in the rest of them when he’s either “only” good, or has an off night? He isn’t an every night superstar yet. And we’re not nearly good enough to make up the difference when he isn’t.

It was fun pretending we had a shot, but we don’t. This team isn’t good enough.

((I’m not in any way bashing on Fox for not being elite every night, btw))

I just joined the party and maybe it’s been said, but this feels like Deja vu. Kings go on streak. Lose to a good team and then start getting smoked by teams shooting 80 percent from three. Ugly

Unfortunately, these last few game are why I think the playoffs have always been a dream. When De’Aaron isn’t going supernova... we lose.

He’s gone supernova for exactly two stretches of games this season, which have been good for about 14 wins of our 22 total.

What’s our record in the rest of them when he’s either “only” good, or has an off night? He isn’t an every night superstar yet. And we’re not nearly good enough to make up the difference when he isn’t.

It was fun pretending we had a shot, but we don’t. This team isn’t good enough.

((I’m not in any way bashing on Fox for not being elite every night, btw))
It's on Walton.

Your superstar performing like a superstar should get you a win, and when your superstar isn't performing, your role players don't have enough skills/authority to create something out of nothing, which left Walton and his coaching team in this equation.

Classic freaking kings. I knew they were going to pull this crap. A depleted laker team and favorable schedule coming up and just in time for a losing streak. Screw these guys. So glad they played themselves out of that top 5 slot and are now in no mans land. Done!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Classic freaking kings. I knew they were going to pull this crap. A depleted laker team and favorable schedule coming up and just in time for a losing streak. Screw these guys. So glad they played themselves out of that top 5 slot and are now in no mans land. Done!
It’s okay. Instead of the top 5 which looked nice and stacked we’ll assuredly just get another Hali at 12. Its all good.

And maybe a new coach? Oh man, the 8th seed has never been closer than next year!!!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It’s okay. Instead of the top 5 which looked nice and stacked we’ll assuredly just get another Hali at 12. Its all good.
Not gonna get mad at Monte for thinking that Luke would be smart enough to stick with what’s working instead of deciding to redesign his entire playbook for no apparent reason.

It's on Walton.

Your superstar performing like a superstar should get you a win, and when your superstar isn't performing, your role players don't have enough skills/authority to create something out of nothing, which left Walton and his coaching team in this equation.
Maybe when the superstar isn't performing he shouldn't have 20 shot attempts in 28 min.

It's on Walton.

And coaches have stuck for years being no better or smarter as a coach. All they did was keep it simple and keeping milking the cow. They didn't attempt to throw in a variety of wrinkles or change the scheme after 1 or 2 iffy games. Or to acclimate a group of role players they just traded for.

We were never expecting our Cardiac Kings to get to the Playoffs this year anyway, especially with Luke Walton at the helm.

Better stock up another young promising rookie, get rid of Walton, and actually find someone who doesn't prioritize his "plays" around role players because he is one himself and will always stick up for them.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Maybe when the superstar isn't performing he should have 20 shots attempted in 28 min.
You live and die with your superstar. Force feed him shots to get him going. That’s how you win in this league. Not by running dumbass sets through your undersized energy role player center and your 6’8” wingman

Not gonna get mad at Monte for thinking that Luke would be smart enough to stick with what’s working instead of deciding to redesign his entire playbook for no apparent reason.
Again too! Tonight was likely going to be an L because of how dragged out Fox looks but dude, this is the 2nd time and with two different gameplans entirely. Usually it's trying to throw in off ball motion and they've done some of that but now it's a pound you inside attack team. Bizarre.

And coaches have stuck for years being no better or smarter as a coach. All they did was keep it simple and keeping milking the cow. They didn't attempt to throw in a variety of wrinkles or change the scheme after 1 or 2 iffy games. Or to acclimate a group of role players they just traded for.
I'll give credit where credit is due. Walton and his team are best at managing players off the court, managing egos etc. The team did bond well this year but there's also a lot of it has to do with Haliburton and the younger players buying in.