[Game] Kings vs. Grizzlies, 12/26/2021 3pm Pacific 6pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but the environment you bring them into matters. Especially if they keep going BPA and all your "best" guys can't actually PLAY together.
meh. Drafting for fit is always bad until you have a/potential top 15 player. The Kings for a large part of their existence have had a severe talent deficiency. Even if it doesn't fit right away, get the talent, figure out the fit later.

And in theory, Fox-Buddy-Barnes-Holmes should be an absolute stunning fit with complimentary skill sets. So why isn't it?

Bagley doesn’t have the physicality nor the handles to face up and attack opposing bigs off the dribble. JJJ and him were both under developed and I think Bags had better handles at the start of their career. Who bears responsibility for his lack of development? Lack of physical development is on Bags. Lack of focus on his skills? 50/50.
When Bags was injured last year and chose to go home instead of staying and working on his defensive footwork, I assumed he was done.

meh. Drafting for fit is always bad until you have a/potential top 15 player. The Kings for a large part of their existence have had a severe talent deficiency. Even if it doesn't fit right away, get the talent, figure out the fit later.

And in theory, Fox-Buddy-Barnes-Holmes should be an absolute stunning fit with complimentary skill sets. So why isn't it?
Why should that be a stunning fit? You still don't have your All-Star to build around.

At least back in the day that Kings had an All Star in Mitch Richmond to try to build with. If we subbed a player like Richmond for Buddy Hield, with the other three, then you have something.

This is not a roster issue. I guarantee you you could swap the players for better ones it would be the same problem.

The problem is that these guys are extremely poorly coached. I'm not sure if it's because Gentry didn't have a full training camp but they do not look like an NBA team. They look like some rec league team, I'm serious.

There's just no discipline, no flow, it's just garbage.

Why is it that Mike Malone could take a roster of basically mediocrity and make them play like a TEAM on both sides of the ball ?

I know this team could be a lot better with better coaching. Doug or Bobby or both need to be leading this
I know that a coherent offense with executable schemes, and a defensive system carried out with discipline and accountability sure would be nice.

Swap Prime DeMarcus for Holmes.
loll than the DMC supporters would be screaming to get rid of Fox because that would negatively impact Cousins per 36 numbers and that team would also be well below 500., than it would be back to blaming the coach and avoiding the obvious that the Kings pissed away all their money on two guys who don't win or make anyone else better as #1 and #2 options.

IMO a few issues -

1. Lack of versatile Shooting; this includes Fox, Holmes, and Buddy basically abandoning the midrange this season and last for whatever reason. That means closed lanes, and Buddy just not getting easy shots.

2. Not enough off ball action - again relating to never seeing that pindown action for Buddy we used to see, and Fox not being a good off-ball player

3. Poor screening on ball and off ball

4. Fox is a great driver, but not a great disher off of drives.

5. Defense/size. With Buddy being naturally weak you need Fox to be a stud defensively or Holmes to be a interior defensive presence, and you need guys to be able to rebound. Doesn't happen sadly.

He's that bad you don't need to guard him he will travel or tunnel vision cause he's got little to no basketball skill (is a elite athlete), no one is scouting or ever would have to stop Bagley 1 v 1 because if anything you want him going 1 on 1 it helps the opposition.
MBIII has explosive and strong leaping ability, which makes him a good rebounder and shot blocker. Other than that, I wouldn’t consider him to be “an elite athlete”. His footwork is plodding and he can’t change direction with any kind of quickness or fluidity, which is a big hinderance for him on both ends of the floor - but especially on defense. He’s not particularly strong for his size, so he gets bested in match-ups involving physicality. His basketball IQ is average. His ceiling is probably as a role-player, but he definitely doesn’t have the right kind of skill set to stick around with the Kings with the direction they need to go.

Last edited:
Works for me. I’ve been begging for the tank and Gentry might even be a better tank commander than Luke.
Can't agree on begging for the tank. Not that I dont understand why people would call for it, but more that Im just so tired of the constant tanking. You're probably right that it's the right call, but im clinging to my last remaining optimism. Im 29, so that might be a deciding factor there.

It seems to happen a little earlier each year. I go from excited for Kings basketball to angry about Kings basketball and finally land in a spot where I don’t care about Kings basketball. This is the first year I’ve gone through all of the stages before the turn of the calendar year. Indifference is a much healthier place to be.
yup

Bagley is not even being used. He's being told to stand in a corner while Holmes gets a bunch of pick and roll opportunities.

It's just nonsense, JJJ gets free-reign to operate but our #2 draft pick needs to get his through the occasional 3 point kick out and hustle points.

It's just crazy. Bagley is basically un-guardable 1v1. Why isn't he ever given a post up ?
clown talk

and maybe if Bagley could set a decent pick he’d be in pick and rolls more

Bagley is not even being used. He's being told to stand in a corner while Holmes gets a bunch of pick and roll opportunities.
You cant run efficent pick n rolls in the modern Nba if you have your own non shootimg center sitting under the basket and Bagley rolling to the rim. And its because of Bagleys flaws that he needs a center playing besides him as he is a horrible defender as a center.

Thats the big problem with Bagley that has been said here ever since before he was drafted. If he isnt the only big setting screens, then what he is on offense? If you have a non shooting center then Bagley is a spot up shooter or a cutter. He isnt a post player because the post is clogged up and he is a horrible passer. Post ups are quite low efficent prosessions unless you are a good passer and an excellent finisher. Bagley is neither, could be a good finisher if he could use his off hand but he'll never become even an above average passer.

Gentry: "They came in here and toyed with us...Yes, they toyed with us"

Blow up the Vlade core, Monte. It's f*kn time.

So why are these players still on the floor when they are not defending, playing with heart, or following the game plan??? Instead of blowing up the whole team, let’s start by having the responsible parties hold players accountable. If that doesn’t work, THEN blow up the team.

So why are these players still on the floor when they are not defending, playing with heart, or following the game plan??? Instead of blowing up the whole team, let’s start by having the responsible parties hold players accountable. If that doesn’t work, THEN blow up the team.
That's a problem when the players who should be held accountable are also the longest tenured and the highest paid.

‪Three very interesting things in this interview:‬
‪1) Guys don’t know when they’re playing.‬
‪2) There is no real accountability for bad performances. ‬
‪3) Check TD’s face when asked about a lack of leadership. It’s definitely an issue, and everyone on the team knows it.‬
Pretty good interview there. This team isn't a tweak or two away from the playoffs.

I think teams come in and play loose against the Kings in the first half to see if they can put them away with an average amount of effort. When the Kings hang on, they put the clamps on to start the 3rd and it's game over from there. The fact that TD admits that they don't talk about 3rd quarters nearly enough when all the fans can see it plain as day is pretty telling.

Other teams scrubs look like they have higher bball IQs than our best players. These guys all look like one read quarterbacks to me. They'll try to run something and if it doesn't work, they just wing it from there. Other teams have layers to their plans. They read and react and know where to be. They find weaknesses and exploit them. They know when to cut and how to space. They don't find themselves covering that empty spot in the midrange between the guys in the paint and the guys beyond the arc like the Kings tend to do so often.

I think it's a mix of bad coaching and bad players. Like Fox said, everyone basically runs the same thing in the NBA so it's not like these guys were never taught how to play basketball. I just don't think they're very good at the mental aspect of the game and they certainly haven't had a coach in years that could overcome that.

Last edited:
So are we talking Fox and Buddy?
Buddy was the easiest target last night. There were two clear times when the ball fell into no-mans-land behind Adams and in front of Buddy. He just stood there and allowed Adams to gobble up the board. During the November games, Buddy was contributing 6 boards per game. Since then, his boards have halved. https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/2990984/buddy-hield

Fox was a bit harder to pinpoint. He looked like he was trying to be more inclusive on offense and he tried to be more physical with Morant until a screen came. He was helping more on defense prior to the latest covid bout. So it wasn't his play, in particular, but just how the team plays when he's on the floor. There is just simply less ball movement when Fox is on the floor. The Kings needed to move the ball last night, because Memphis was attacking pretty much every player that had the ball. You gotta abuse defenses, with quick passes, who close out and help that hard.

And, in general, this team doesn't work for each other on either side of the ball.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Because they soft. Add soft + soft + soft + soft = SOFT

That's not what I call complementary. There's a reason they get destroyed by Memphis. Memphis is very tough. Kings are very soft. This is the thing that gets me about the Kings. They are soooo soft that they don't care that they are soft!

Can't agree on begging for the tank. Not that I dont understand why people would call for it, but more that Im just so tired of the constant tanking. You're probably right that it's the right call, but im clinging to my last remaining optimism. Im 29, so that might be a deciding factor there.
Constant tanking?

Name the last year we actually tanked and finished in a Top 3 spot heading into the lottery? Being bad is not the same as constantly tanking. Tanking (playing their youth) is something the well managed teams do. We don’t fit that description.

Status
Not open for further replies.