[Game] Kings vs Clippers 3/1- 7PT/10ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what has been great about the season is we see the potential for greatness. I believe we are maybe 3-4 years away from making a deep run. Having said that, making the playoffs this year will have an enormous impact in our trajectory. Even if we get swept by the Warriors, giving the players a taste of the post season will enormously help their development and can only help us attract free agents like Middleton. Vlade sees it which is why he made the trades but is also why this last stretch of games has been very disappointing

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Just curious how this follows when the guys on the bench were on average +4.6 and the starters with an identity were on average -11.6.

How are we blaming the second unit again?
When we had Bagley in the 2nd unit it was the key to victory because the 2nd unit was outscoring in large fashion the 2nd unit of the opposing team. That has basically disappeared. It's not good enough to outscore the opposition's 2nd unit by +4.6. That's why the focus on the 2nd unit.

Still a lot of basketball to play. Coming games still carry a lot of significance. 2 1/2 out with 20 games to go is premature packing it in from our perspective. Especially considering how much can change in a single 5 game increment. We still got 4 more to go. Kings get a more favorable schedule. Though last night was extremely disappointing performance in a game of such high importance and i am very beaten down watching the Kings continuously trip over their own feet and that damn rebounding...Kings still have opportunities to go on a decent run and the Clippers/Spurs or both (for those who still consider the Lakers a shoo in because of LeBald) have opportunity to go on a rough patch. Clippers won’t have the Kings to kick around and pad their record anymore Lol. Utah is the one team I think everybody looking in can forget about. They seem to be in their second half form from last season.

When we had Bagley in the 2nd unit it was the key to victory because the 2nd unit was outscoring in large fashion the 2nd unit of the opposing team. That has basically disappeared. It's not good enough to outscore the opposition's 2nd unit by +4.6. That's why the focus on the 2nd unit.
Well if the Bench players averaged more than 14 minutes a game it might help. Joeger has been piling on the minutes to the starters in addition to going small.

Still a lot of basketball to play. Coming games still carry a lot of significance. 2 1/2 out with 20 games to go is premature packing it in from our perspective. Especially considering how much can change in a single 5 game increment. We still got 4 more to go. Kings get a more favorable schedule. Though last night was extremely disappointing performance in a game of such high importance and i am very beaten down watching the Kings continuously trip over their own feet and that damn rebounding...Kings still have opportunities to go on a decent run and the Clippers/Spurs or both (for those who still consider the Lakers a shoo in because of LeBald) have opportunity to go on a rough patch. Clippers won’t have the Kings to of their record anymore Lol. Utah is the one team I think everybody looking in can forget about. They seem to be in their second half form from last season.
We are 3 games back and the clippers hold the tie-breaker so it’s highly unlikely we are catching the Clippers in 20 games. Right now we project at best 44 wins. Clippers are all ready at 35.

Clips have 2 games against Cleveland, 2 games against New York and a game against Chicago. That’s 5 games there. They have 2 against the Lakers we would prefer the Lakers lose. That puts them at 42

Last edited:
I dont think you can blame vlade. He gave dj the tools. It's up to the coach to use those tool correctly. X gives Y a gun to shoot a target. Y takes the gun and throws it at the target and misses. You dont blame X.
Post trade deadline I remember clearly vlade being like, "we need to figure it out, I mean Dave needs to figure it out" that might not be verbatim but the message and line in the Sand was clear. I walked away from that video stream with a clear understanding that Vlade leaves the rotations and on floor dicisions soley to the coach.

Was the post trade deadline press conference

We are 3 games back and the clippers hold the tie-breaker so it’s highly unlikely we are catching the Clippers in 20 games. Right now we project at best 44 wins. Clippers are all ready at 35.
I said 2.5 out and the Kings are 2.5 games behind San Antonio but 2-3 game gaps can close or significantly widen in a weeks time. Teams have blown 3 game leads in the final couple of weeks of a season. In 5 games. Like I said, there’s still a lot of basketball to play. I’m not saying chances are high but I don’t think they’re terribly remote either.

The Kings will need a stretch winning outside their usual rate though. Possibly an 8 of 10 but no less than a 7 of 10 to stay interesting in that regard. They’ll have to beat San Antonio head to head of course and they already own that tie breaker.

Reason I get annoyed by the Kings recent stretch of losses is not defeatist pessimism of “they were never that good anyway”. It’s because I think they are a playoff team and do have these stretches in them. Obviously missing Bagley is a blow but there is a sea of winnable games in March. Kings will have to win a lot of them

Kings gave up 16 offensive rebounds last night. Seems like a common theme with this team. When you're a poor rebounding team, it only makes sense to go with a small ball lineup and insert a guy who is shooting 33% from three while struggling with his offense all year taking low percentage shots...

I said 2.5 out and the Kings are 2.5 games behind San Antonio but 2-3 game gaps can close or significantly widen in a weeks time. Teams have blown 3 game leads in the final couple of weeks of a season. In 5 games. Like I said, there’s still a lot of basketball to play. I’m not saying chances are high but I don’t think they’re terribly remote either.

The Kings will need a stretch winning outside their usual rate though. Possibly an 8 of 10 but no less than a 7 of 10 to stay interesting in that regard. They’ll have to beat San Antonio head to head of course and they already own that tie breaker.

Reason I get annoyed by the Kings recent stretch of losses is not defeatist pessimism of “they were never that good anyway”. It’s because I think they are a playoff team and do have these stretches in them. Obviously missing Bagley is a blow but there is a sea of winnable games in March. Kings will have to win a lot of them
If your point is the Spurs may still be in reach I agree.

With a quarter of the season yet to play, we are down 2 in the loss column to the Spurs - over whom we hold the tiebreaker and we have one more head to head with.

Spurs have 18th most difficult schedule.
Kings have 3rd easiest schedule.

We are so alive it is ridiculous. The quit in this fanbase is suck.

gunks

Hall of Famer
There was a time where if the Kings were within ten near the end, they played with a poise and confidence beyond their experience. Now it's a young, tenacious team trying to find a way through with the opposing team respecting but not really fearing them. I think a big difference is the mental lift that crazy Uncle Shump brought. I like crazy Uncle Corey but it's different. I'm fine having moved on but the kids will need to find that from within themselves on the court.

Maybe it was just a tough stretch against better teams and they manage to squeek in the playoffs anyways. Maybe too many new pieces to figure out in a short span of time. But the talent is there, staff and FO included. Not to write this season off yet but does anybody not expect them to be in the playoffs next year after an off season of dev?

And i hope the Kardiac Kings nickname dies with this season. Too damn stressful!
Main reason I'm not tripping!

This year has already completely demolished my expectations for what I thought was going to be a 22ish win team.

Next year I'm expecting another big jump from Fox. He was way more aggressive when his shot was on, flashing superstar stuff, and we all know he'll put in the reps this summer.

Bagley is a freak. He's a 20/10 player next season. Easily. If he can bulk up without losing his bounce he's gonna even better.

Giles will improve. Old man Buddy is forever adding to his game. Bogi will hopefully bounce back.

This is the last year we're all saying "next year".

But hey, I haven't given up on this year either!

I was thinking something very similar, but didn't want to encourage those who believe the sky is falling to dig in their heels even more.
I don't know if it's just fans being emotional, or if, after all these years of playoff drought, we're acting like an awkward teenage boy who got rejected by 13 girls in a row!

I was thinking something very similar, but didn't want to encourage those who believe the sky is falling to dig in their heels even more.
I don't know if it's just fans being emotional, or if, after all these years of playoff drought, we're acting like an awkward teenage boy who got rejected by 13 girls in a row!
We are hooked on a feeling, high on believing....

But when we lose it’s like “****, basketball is dead to me!” We will bounce back though!

Soooo no response from the league on that obvious flagrant foul against Bogi that was ignored right in front of the ref??? It was a pivotal moment in the game. Absolutely pisses me off how Harrell got away with that.

Main reason I'm not tripping!

This year has already completely demolished my expectations for what I thought was going to be a 22ish win team.

Next year I'm expecting another big jump from Fox. He was way more aggressive when his shot was on, flashing superstar stuff, and we all know he'll put in the reps this summer.

Bagley is a freak. He's a 20/10 player next season. Easily. If he can bulk up without losing his bounce he's gonna even better.

Giles will improve. Old man Buddy is forever adding to his game. Bogi will hopefully bounce back.

This is the last year we're all saying "next year".

But hey, I haven't given up on this year either!
The SF situation is frustrating because harrison barnes is just above average as a player. He doesn't play winning basketball. No shot at the Big names FA even though we have the cap. I mean Kawai in a kings uniform would look mighty good..

Soooo no response from the league on that obvious flagrant foul against Bogi that was ignored right in front of the ref??? It was a pivotal moment in the game. Absolutely pisses me off how Harrell got away with that.
Here is the thing about the Kings, they don't have the big bruiser "Enforcer" type like a Harrell on the team.

The Kings get smashed in the mouth and they don't have anyone willing or able to smash the other team back in the mouth. I'm concerned that other teams will take this blue print and start man handling the Kings and without the refs making the appropriate foul calls, the Kings will have a tough time overcoming these rough house play and still win at a high level.

The Kings need to stand up to these "bully" teams and deliver their own hard fouls and show they are not afraid of these teams. I think this is what will help the Kings take the next step, they need to get tough and show they won't back down.

Here is the thing about the Kings, they don't have the big bruiser "Enforcer" type like a Harrell on the team.

The Kings get smashed in the mouth and they don't have anyone willing or able to smash the other team back in the mouth. I'm concerned that other teams will take this blue print and start man handling the Kings and without the refs making the appropriate foul calls, the Kings will have a tough time overcoming these rough house play and still win at a high level.

The Kings need to stand up to these "bully" teams and deliver their own hard fouls and show they are not afraid of these teams. I think this is what will help the Kings take the next step, they need to get tough and show they won't back down.
I agree it is an issue but I think we will find the balls to fight back in time. Watching for it. Bogi for example has a pretty tough chin. Fox is a giver of no effs. Harry Giles would be scary in an alley.

I don't think we are sissies, I just think the guys are on the brink of realizing what they need to do. I actually wish Buddy had hit Beverly shortly after tip-off when Beverly threw his arm off with a lot of aggression. Next time I think he will.... he is not a sissy either.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
With a quarter of the season yet to play, we are down 2 in the loss column to the Spurs - over whom we hold the tiebreaker and we have one more head to head with.

Spurs have 18th most difficult schedule.
Kings have 3rd easiest schedule.

It's the same vocal minority I've been ignoring most of the season. It's also why I didn't participate in the game thread - something I've decided I'm not going to do again. Those who delight in dumping on the team are not going to drive me away. This has been my team since 1985. I've bled purple for over 30 years.

It's not a "quit in this fanbase" - it's a small group who delights in trying to rain on parades.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I
Fox really disappoints me, too, because he should be averaging 25 points and 12 rebounds a game by now. What’s his problem?!
:rolleyes:
I actually think Fox has been amazing this year. Especially given his age and inexperience. And he’s been a freaking warrior all year for us! He plays hurt. He adjusts his game when the scouting reports catch up to him. Opposing players think he’s the real deal. I think so, too.
Do I want him to work on his game and his body this summer? Of course! But I will save my real disappointment in Fox for when he gets too comfortable with who he is rather than striving for who he wants to be.
it appears the only people not impressed with De’Aaron Fox are Kings fans for some reason

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It's the same vocal minority I've been ignoring most of the season. It's also why I didn't participate in the game thread - something I've decided I'm not going to do again. Those who delight in dumping on the team are not going to drive me away. This has been my team since 1985. I've bled purple for over 30 years.

It's not a "quit in this fanbase" - it's a small group who delights in trying to rain on parades.
It’s the whole “if you’re not first, you’re last!” mindset and yeah it’s pretty hard to deal with it sometimes.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well if the Bench players averaged more than 14 minutes a game it might help. Joeger has been piling on the minutes to the starters in addition to going small.
Agreed. It's ridiculous that Giles only got 17 minutes in the Clipps game. What Joerger is saving him for I have no idea. The guy should be getting 30 minutes a game, not 17 minutes a game. It's not like the guy has been overused and burned out from his many minutes during the season. And while I'm at it, Fox had a lousy 29 minutes in this game. Joerger said he was going to start to use him more. What happened? The fact that he had 2 fouls in the first quarter is a stupid excuse if that is what is used. I hate in when coaches essentially "foul their own player out of the game" by "protecting" them from fouls. It's a total CYA move as far as I am concerned. Make the refs foul your player out of the game; don't do it for them! Joerger said he wanted to bump Fox up to the 35 minute/game mark. If he would have done so in this game (using pro-rations) Fox could easily have had 14 assists, 14 points, and six rebounds. It could have possibly made the difference.

I've said a few times that the season is lost, and yes it was reactionary. However, Bagley being out for a week or two or maybe more if they're being cautious does not bode well for our chances. And if Bogi is going to stay in the starting lineup then we have basically no scoring off the bench unless Giles continues to play at a high level. I'd rather role with Bjelica back starting at the 4 and Bogi giving us life off the bench.

I've said a few times that the season is lost, and yes it was reactionary. However, Bagley being out for a week or two or maybe more if they're being cautious does not bode well for our chances. And if Bogi is going to stay in the starting lineup then we have basically no scoring off the bench unless Giles continues to play at a high level. I'd rather role with Bjelica back starting at the 4 and Bogi giving us life off the bench.
Your anxiety is like smoke and it's making me cough.

The Kings have made massive improvements in all facets of the game. This is no time to be disappointed.
Now we are noticing the small things that differentiate the good teams.
The great thing about young teams is that they get older and stronger.

Your anxiety is like smoke and it's making me cough.
Well, I'm not sure I'm anxious about it. I'm anxious about my job, my GF, my rent, my health and all sorts of other things. I would say my anxiety level over the Kings is like a 2/10 in the grande scheme of things. This place just helps keep me occupied when I'm stressing at work. They've already exceeded expectations so if they don't make the playoffs I won't be devastated by any stretch. But Bagley being out leaves us in a bad spot, I don't think that's arguable.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The Kings season effectively died when we lost to the TWolves. My hot take remains; that was the season altering loss of the year.

The Kings season effectively died when we lost to the TWolves. My hot take remains; that was the season altering loss of the year.
There are still 20 games or 25% of the seasons games still to be played.

We are only 2 losses back of the Spurs and have one more head to head with them at home

I think that late March Spurs game will determine if we make the playoffs or not this year. There is still plenty of basketball to be played before our playoff fate is determined. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.