[Game] Kings vs. Blazers, 1/13/21 7pm PST, 10pm EST

The one that doesn't have the hot hand. You could have picked 4 of the 5 starters today and you wouldn't have been wrong. That's what coaching is about. We not subbing out superstars here. We lost the game
Nope, not good enough. If Cojo hits 3 3's in the 4th quarter, should he stay in the game for Fox?

Nope, not good enough. If Cojo hits 3 3's in the 4th quarter, should he stay in the game for Fox?
Is buddy fox? Barnes? Anyone not named fox yes can be pulled when they stinking up the place. They are not superstars. Buddy was on bench last season lets not pretend he's curry. And we are not talking about the whole 4th quarter man, you mean there are no minutes available for the future of the team? Who's not playing bad mind you. And cojo and Bagley are not even in the same category as far as building blocks

So we can't win games with Bagley? Honest question. Because with more pt and crunch time min I think it's our only hope. This same group had there chance last year. We all know this story
Not this game. It would be the same old story. Set a pick so bagley gets switched on dame or McCollum and they exploit his defensive weakness. Almost every team we play does it. We’re 12 games into the season, he can still develop 3Q of the game early in the season and when he stops being a liability, he can finish games. Hell buddy still gets pulled for defensive substitutions still and his defense has gotten a lot better. As of now, I’d still roll with fox/buddy/ty/hb/holmes to finish games.

Not this game. It would be the same old story. Set a pick so bagley gets switched on dame or McCollum and they exploit his defensive weakness. Almost every team we play does it. We’re 12 games into the season, he can still develop 3Q of the game early in the season and when he stops being a liability, he can finish games. Hell buddy still gets pulled for defensive substitutions still and his defense has gotten a lot better. As of now, I’d still roll with fox/buddy/ty/hb/holmes to finish games.
I'm not sure how you can predict the future like that. You act as if the strategy worked or something? I'm confused did we slow down dame or McCollum with Bagley on the bench? Pretty sure they lit us up like a candle. We not competing for a championship, we are developing our team. We need to see what Bagley can do for a full season to see if he has the potential to be a great. It's a short seasons so 12 games is more like 20 games. But we are all fans here. Just my two cents. I've said enough for a newbie. Thank you for the input.

On to next game

I'm not sure how you can predict the future like that. You act as if the strategy worked or something? I'm confused did we slow down dame or McCollum with Bagley on the bench? Pretty sure they lit us up like a candle. We not competing for a championship, we are developing our team. We need to see what Bagley can do for a full season to see if he has the potential to be a great. It's a short seasons so 12 games is more like 20 games. But we are all fans here. Just my two cents. I've said enough for a newbie. Thank you for the input.

On to next game
I'll help you out - Bagley isn't going to be great. He might be a decent starting big if he manages to stay healthy. Moving on.

Homes is a center Bagley is a PF. They start together. You don't have to pick one or the other. Play them both. No reason why he doesn't touch the floor every game in the 4th. You can't give me a good one. But I will listen to you try
First you have to decide wether winning as many games as possible is our objective. Bagley at the 4 is somewhat problematic and most nights it wont be our best lineup. He doesnt space the floor much, he cant create offense for himself or others and as a play finisher he is more limited at the 4 since a non shooting center is already clogging the lane plus he doesnt offer much defensively. At center his defense is nowhere near good enough to play consistant net positive minutes there.

If you ask me we shouldnt stress too much about W's at this point. We are not a serious playoff contender and need at least one more important piece. I'm actually quite frustrated we are playing a guy like Joseph a lot while our 2nd round rookies get zero playing time. Imo we should play Fox, Hali, Bagley, Woodard and Ramsey every night. Then surround them with Barnes, Buddy and Holmes however they fit the best. Let the young players develope and learn the game and their performance will net us as many W's as we deserve.

Last edited:
All of the bigs are getting exploited on the pick and roll. The team attempted to remedy that this game by having our guards fight over the top of the screen. This significantly helped Bagley and put the responsibility back on the guards to actually be responsible for stopping their man. But more importantly, the Kings aren't locking teams down in the 4th when they sit Bagley.

Your comment about Buddy being pulled in defensive situations, presumably in favor of CoJo, underlines the issue. Walton playing his guys despite what is actually happening on the court. It's predetermined that CoJo is Waltons defensive stopper, even when CoJo has been a defensive liability for quite some time. It's predetermined that Bagley will sit the entire 4th quarter unless the team is getting blown out.

Kinda weird to see that I'm not the local curmudgeon after a loss. I saw a team that learned from its previous blowouts. Bags was rotating on defense, had an assist, and played better on the ball defense. Buddy made his shots (finally), only had one buddy boneheaded play, and played decent defense.

As a whole, the team played tougher and it looked like things were slowing down (mentally). Hali had two turnovers where teams are playing the passing lanes when he jumps--think that was the source of his argument with Walton. So he'll have to adjust to opposing teams' adjustments.

Overall, it's progress. More please.

yeah i mean sometimes in some games you just gotta play the starters extended min. sometimes its needed. look at the min per game of our 2000-2001 starters and look at them now
Yes this. I want a real starting 5 that plays 30+ min each with 1 6th man getting close to 30 the rest can fight for min. That's what nba teams do. Good ones at least

All of the bigs are getting exploited on the pick and roll. The team attempted to remedy that this game by having our guards fight over the top of the screen. This significantly helped Bagley and put the responsibility back on the guards to actually be responsible for stopping their man. But more importantly, the Kings aren't locking teams down in the 4th when they sit Bagley.

Your comment about Buddy being pulled in defensive situations, presumably in favor of CoJo, underlines the issue. Walton playing his guys despite what is actually happening on the court. It's predetermined that CoJo is Waltons defensive stopper, even when CoJo has been a defensive liability for quite some time. It's predetermined that Bagley will sit the entire 4th quarter unless the team is getting blown out.
I loved how Mark Jones said on the broadcast (I think it was to end the first or second quarter) that CoJo was a great defender, and right on cue Lillard blew past him easily to the rim. Wouldn't be the last time. CoJo's defense has been far from great this season, just living on reputation at the moment.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I loved how Mark Jones said on the broadcast (I think it was to end the first or second quarter) that CoJo was a great defender, and right on cue Lillard blew past him easily to the rim. Wouldn't be the last time. CoJo's defense has been far from great this season, just living on reputation at the moment.
It was twice in a row too. I called it out when it happened! Lol

The Kings played well enough to beat a lot of teams. They moved the ball and shot it. They won many categories. Unfortunately they went up against a team even better at the run and shoot than they are. Dame, McCollum and Anthony, holy cow. The team strategy is clearly play fast and out score the opponent. It reminds me of games in the 1980s when scores in the 130s and 140s were common.

I am becoming very comfortable with Fox, Barnes and Holmes. Haliburton is great off the bench. Whiteside is good in a supporting role. Hield shot it better. Bagley plays like a second or third rounder. He starts games, but rarely finishes them.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Olden Polynice on Twitter saying he wished he could help the Kings. Says it’s all defense. Carmichael Dave asked what he would do different. OP broke down that once we had that 19 point lead, we should have ran them off the 3 point line to force them to need more possessions to catch-up instead of them making the volume of 3s in less possessions.

Actually makes sense.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Bagley has quietly put together several solid games. Aside from the melt down games after the dad tweet, seeing much better in many aspects of the game. Mark Jones saying on the broadcast that a Western Conference GM says we need to be patient because he’s a 21 year old kid putting up double doubles. I agree with this as long as he’s playing like he has the last 2 games or so. He hasn’t been a black hole, actually has moved his feet on defense, did well against Covington which should have been a tough matchup.

Bagley has quietly put together several solid games. Aside from the melt down games after the dad tweet, seeing much better in many aspects of the game. Mark Jones saying on the broadcast that a Western Conference GM says we need to be patient because he’s a 21 year old kid putting up double doubles. I agree with this as long as he’s playing like he has the last 2 games or so. He hasn’t been a black hole, actually has moved his feet on defense, did well against Covington which should have been a tough matchup.
Him and Holmes playing the two man game so well so far has been surprising as well. There were a lot of questions whether the two could fit together and really who Bagley ideal fit next to him in the front court may be but if we go off the numbers they appear to be a match made in heaven, thus far this season

Him and Holmes playing the two man game so well so far has been surprising as well. There were a lot of questions whether the two could fit together and really who Bagley ideal fit next to him in the front court may be but if we go off the numbers they appear to be a match made in heaven, thus far this season
I was looking for where I saw the stat last night that the starting lineup for the game was +7 and played 15 minutes together. Every other lineup had a smaller +/-. When Haliburton replaced Bagley and played with the starters is the only other time it was a positive +/- and it was still several points less than the original starters.

Walton may need to find a way to get more minutes with his starters throughout the game. With the exception of the Warriors game when Bagley had a really bad day and maybe another game without Holmes, the 1st quarters for the Kings has been the bright spot on the season. They've gotten off to good starts. Games are getting lost somewhere in the rotations.

My point exactly. I don't get this homles or Bagley argument. As well as Barnes as played hes not the future of this team. He will not get us over the hump

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Even me as not the biggest Bagley fan around hates his usage this season. He’s potentially just as important to this team’s future as Fox and Hali. His first two seasons were wasted by injury and now he’s being wasted by a coach who won’t play him when it counts.

I clown on him when he struggles, but I’d rather watch him struggle and see if he’s a piece of the future over guys that aren’t.

And games when he plays well and only gets 19 minutes, including none in the 4th and skipped over for an unready and awful Metu? Freakin’ unacceptable.

Even me as not the biggest Bagley fan around hates his usage this season. He’s potentially just as important to this team’s future as Fox and Hali. His first two seasons were wasted by injury and now he’s being wasted by a coach who won’t play him when it counts.

I clown on him when he struggles, but I’d rather watch him struggle and see if he’s a piece of the future over guys that aren’t.

And games when he plays well and only gets 19 minutes, including none in the 4th and skipped over for an unready and awful Metu? Freakin’ unacceptable.
seriously. If we aren't winning we better be losing in meaningful ways. Hard to take meaning by keeping players we've invested heavily in out of meaningful minutes.

Also if the guys are running themselves ragged in the 1st qtr that they can't finish a game, that is also on the coach having a terrible game plan.

I can't say enough how much I like Luke as a former UA Wildcat and the appreciation I have for the people that have mentored him, even that clown who coached the Lakers :) ... but he is doing an absolutely horrible job as Kings coach and needs to be dismissed yesterday. PLEASE MONTE.

Yes, I remember that and is it just me or did Mark Jones appear to be in love with a lot of the Blazers players? It was getting borderline annoying.

Olden Polynice on Twitter saying he wished he could help the Kings. Says it’s all defense. Carmichael Dave asked what he would do different. OP broke down that once we had that 19 point lead, we should have ran them off the 3 point line to force them to need more possessions to catch-up instead of them making the volume of 3s in less possessions.

Actually makes sense.
Walton doesn't understand the modern game. Even in defensive schemes that are intended to give up one area of the floor he'll give a little of both. If not he's all in on protecting the paint which doesn't suit most of the rotations he puts on the floor. He did do better last night by keeping some size at SF/PF.

Actually makes sense.
I don't think the Kings have the personnel to play that effectively against Portland. Maybe, but it would be a hard task.

I watched the Charlotte/Dallas game before the Kings game. Dallas does what Polynice wanted. But they have WCS, Porzingas, and Boban. 7 ft, 7'3, and 7'4. The Hornets were lost all game. Mavs wings would push out on the Hornets players, running them off the line. They'd drive and run into the three giants, who are not just tall, they're long. On the Kings, to do that, you'd need Hassan and one other long, shot altering big. The Kings don't really have that second big. Bags has the physical profile, but is one handed and still has poor positioning, Holmes is really about 6'8 and can move his feet, but isn't really the shot altering type.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
I don't think the Kings have the personnel to play that effectively against Portland. Maybe, but it would be a hard task.

I watched the Charlotte/Dallas game before the Kings game. Dallas does what Polynice wanted. But they have WCS, Porzingas, and Boban. 7 ft, 7'3, and 7'4. The Hornets were lost all game. Mavs wings would push out on the Hornets players, running them off the line. They'd drive and run into the three giants, who are not just tall, they're long. On the Kings, to do that, you'd need Hassan and one other long, shot altering big. The Kings don't really have that second big. Bags has the physical profile, but is one handed and still has poor positioning, Holmes is really about 6'8 and can move his feet, but isn't really the shot altering type.
I think that is understood as far as personnel but OP’s point was allowing the 3 pointers, it took Portland significantly less possessions to erase that lead as opposed to taking away the 3 point line and forcing them to erase the lead with more possessions. I mean, Sac can’t stop Portland no matter how they play so why not force them to take more possessions( making 2 pointers) than allowing the 3. Last time I checked, they do have a rather large big man shot blocker that they can camp in the paint

Or any small ball team. They've beaten all the big teams they've played though. They beat Indy and Denver twice. Two very similar teams that run a lot of post action. Yahoo!