[Game] Kings v. Thunder - Monday, Nov. 19 - 7 PT

Lemme play devils advocate for Harry here for a second cuz this seems to be one-sided.... Harry is not gonna get more than a few minutes per game anyways, him picking up a few fouls is fairly inconsequential.... Steven Adams is a 55% FT shooter... I don't really have an issue with him picking up those fouls... He does has a major propencity for picking em up, and in the future if he hopes to play big minutes it could manifest itself into a problem, for now he might've been instructed to use his fouls liberally, there's a lot of mediocre FT' shooters in the NBA, look no further than our team LOL, fouling the right dude is a good defensive possession for the Kings as far as I'm concerned.

If I had to nitpick his game last night I'd be talking about the 2 bad offensive misreads, one where he tried to fly across the lane in the statue of liberty pose and got blocked to smithereens by Jerami Grant, and there was another a 4 or 5 foot push shot that was contested and rushed, he was kinda double teamed too, swinging the ball would've resulted in an easy bucket.
He’s been a fouling machine so far in his young career. Surely he knows he needs to slow it down to have a chance at meaningful minutes. Jason Jones did not provide any commentary, simply stated the obvious. I think the point is probably that Harry should pick his battles with the media and that one seemed unnecessary.

He’s been a fouling machine so far in his young career. Surely he knows he needs to slow it down to have a chance at meaningful minutes. Jason Jones did not provide any commentary, simply stated the obvious. I think the point is probably that Harry should pick his battles with the media and that one seemed unnecessary.
The obvious that didnt need to be said. A laker fan bringing up the negative.

Great win. Grant is right that the Kings are growing up in front of our eyes. Since Cousins left the Kings have sort of been a powder puff team. No real enforcer or aggressive guys. Shumpert was unconscious in the first half. He brings the street atttitude. He may have started a trend. The tech fouls on Willie and especially Fox made me very happy. Basketball is mental warfare, especially at this level. You cannot get pushed around by people and expect to be successful. Fox is able to make some moves at the end of games that are amazing. He is a polite person, but proved last night you better not mess with him.

The Kings did a lot of things right last night. Their pace at times was blazing. They break on an opponents made basket like I have never seen. Constant pressure on the defense. Shumpert was great. Bagley is showing signs of things to come. For a rookie he has an amazing ability to influence games. Willie is playing hard. Buddy is a guy everyone want on their team. Giles is better. Shumpert has turned into the emotional leader of this team. The play at the 3 has a lot to do with the team's success.

There is only one serious weakness left that will not go away. The Kings' give up way too many layups. They are soft in transition, and at times are so focused on protecting the 3 line the lane is completely vacant. It is not that hard to see how this could happen. The fast pace makes them a little flat footed on defense at times. If the Kings can clean up their defense underneath a game like last night would not be close. Kosta will help. Bagley had a couple of great blocks. Too bad Willie is not the rim defender we thought he was. Shot blocking makes the other team flinch a little when they head to the rack. We need more of that.

Great win. Grant is right that the Kings are growing up in front of our eyes. Since Cousins left the Kings have sort of been a powder puff team. No real enforcer or aggressive guys. Shumpert was unconscious in the first half. He brings the street atttitude. He may have started a trend. The tech fouls on Willie and especially Fox made me very happy. Basketball is mental warfare, especially at this level. You cannot get pushed around by people and expect to be successful. Fox is able to make some moves at the end of games that are amazing. He is a polite person, but proved last night you better not mess with him.

The Kings did a lot of things right last night. Their pace at times was blazing. They break on an opponents made basket like I have never seen. Constant pressure on the defense. Shumpert was great. Bagley is showing signs of things to come. For a rookie he has an amazing ability to influence games. Willie is playing hard. Buddy is a guy everyone want on their team. Giles is better. Shumpert has turned into the emotional leader of this team. The play at the 3 has a lot to do with the team's success.

There is only one serious weakness left that will not go away. The Kings' give up way too many layups. They are soft in transition, and at times are so focused on protecting the 3 line the lane is completely vacant. It is not that hard to see how this could happen. The fast pace makes them a little flat footed on defense at times. If the Kings can clean up their defense underneath a game like last night would not be close. Kosta will help. Bagley had a couple of great blocks. Too bad Willie is not the rim defender we thought he was. Shot blocking makes the other team flinch a little when they head to the rack. We need more of that.
I'm not usually your champion around here, but great post! I'm also enjoying seeing our young players develop (show?) a bit of an edge. If we could get that from Willie once a week rather than once a season, put me down for that.
p.s. Don't take my reaction toward you personally. You just remind me of my high school coach. :D

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm not usually your champion around here, but great post! I'm also enjoying seeing our young players develop (show?) a bit of an edge. If we could get that from Willie once a week rather than once a season, put me down for that.
p.s. Don't take my reaction toward you personally. You just remind me of my high school coach. :D
DITTO!

Great seeing Bagley play some nice meaningful minutes in crunch time. One thing I love about him is he seems to have great hands. When he’s down low, he’s always ready for the pass, and he’s always ready to quickly get his shot off. He doesn’t over think it. Not always the case, but he generally takes very high percentage shots, and uses his athleticism to score before the opponent knows what hit em.

Yeah, they give up way too many layups, but remember when they didn't cover the 3pt line, in equal fashion? We got slaughtered. Not so much now. We're dealing the lesser of two evils at the moment. Funny thing about Willie is that I remember him being more of a rim protector, even if perhaps he was picking up too many fouls in the process. Now he seems almost never to look to protect the paint or the rim, particularly from the offside (but also on-man). He certainly has the tools and the athleticism. If he did, at least once in a while, it might provide some intimidation for those entering the lane. I don't know if his change has to do with a desire to avoid fouls, or it's just not wanting to expend the energy.

In any case, Bagley has the most potential as our rim protector, anyway, and once he gets comfortable knowing when to stay home and when to contest shots off his man, I think he'll be a real difference maker inside. He's already shown he can be.

Last edited:
Bagley had some great off moves in the 4th. His defense is better than we thought. He is a great rebounder already. A couple of blocks fills a huge hole in the Kings defensive play. He made a difference last night.
I actually don't think he's a great rebounder - yet. He's active and has springs, but he isn't strong enough and hasn't yet shown the kind of sticky hands to be an elite rebounder (although I appreciate his focus on rebounding with two hands). To be clear, I think he CAN be an elite rebounder, but I think he has a decent way to go yet.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The only out and out bad pick the Kings have made since Vlade took over was Papa and it's not like his draft class was a barnburner (and we got Bogi as part of the deal).
if Skal doesn't prove himself within the next two years or so, he will be another to add to the list. Also, Justin Jackson needs to do something other than just brick up shots and stay rail skinny.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
if Skal doesn't prove himself within the next two years or so, he will be another to add to the list. Also, Justin Jackson needs to do something other than just brick up shots and stay rail skinny.
Most guys from the late 1st round can be considered successes if they're even in the league after three years. Skal's not been a success by any means but he's been far from a blown pick. Same goes for JJ, who while still not being a plus pick is still not an abject failure as a 15th pick.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Most guys from the late 1st round can be considered successes if they're even in the league after three years. Skal's not been a success by any means but he's been far from a blown pick. Same goes for JJ, who while still not being a plus pick is still not an abject failure as a 15th pick.
still early to say on both fronts but I can see Skal potentially shining on another team because he is just too far down on the depth chart right now and doesn't bring anything different than the others in front of him.

I actually don't think he's a great rebounder - yet. He's active and has springs, but he isn't strong enough and hasn't yet shown the kind of sticky hands to be an elite rebounder (although I appreciate his focus on rebounding with two hands). To be clear, I think he CAN be an elite rebounder, but I think he has a decent way to go yet.
If Bagley is not a great rebounder, then Willie and Skal can only be described as really bad at it.
Bagley is just getting started. He gets off the floor really fast and has good hands. He has desire which many players seem to lack. He is strong enough already. He will only improve.