[Game] Kings v. Spurs - Sunday, Jan. 28 - 4 PT

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the injury report: WCS will be out; Manu is a game-time decision.
Update on the Kings injury report (from Jason Jones):
Skal Labissiere (Left Shoulder Strain), Willie Cauley-Stein (Right Knee Bone Contusion & Left Foot Strain), Garrett Temple (Right Ankle Sprain), Malachi Richardson (Left Ankle Sprain)-OUT
Zach Randolph (Sore Left Knee)-PROBABLE

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Update on the Kings injury report (from Jason Jones):
Skal Labissiere (Left Shoulder Strain), Willie Cauley-Stein (Right Knee Bone Contusion & Left Foot Strain), Garrett Temple (Right Ankle Sprain), Malachi Richardson (Left Ankle Sprain)-OUT
Zach Randolph (Sore Left Knee)-PROBABLE
these youngins can't take the beating of a 82 game season....need to live in the weight room in the off season.

Usual process for me. DVR is working overtime in our house today. Kings Game, NHL All Star Game, ESPN NBA Game, and the Grammy Awards. Not quite sure in which order I will be watching everything. But once I get to the Kings game, as always, I will provide my 2 cents and then some.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It’s disappointing that Willie going to be out. It seemed that the team defense took a big step forward last game and I wanted to see if it carried over to the next game, especially against a well-oiled ball movement machine like the spurs.

One of the biggest issues with the Kings team defense is the constant need for help, because of not stopping the ball on the perimeter. The opposition guards and wings blow by our guards and wings and are getting into the lane and finishing, kicking out, or dishing down at will.

Our bigs may have the most defensive responsibility in the league because of the team’s inability to guard out on the perimeter. Kings’ bigs just have a huge amount of ground to cover because of poor team defense.

But I believe I saw improvement in this area the last game and I was looking forward to seeing if they could maintain that.

Willie is a big part of the defense, and there is a perception (supported by stats and counting numbers – blocks mainly) that he’s regressed into a poor defender. But the Kings are a team riddled with poor defenders and this does impact Willies defensive numbers and I believe it also indirectly affects his rebounding by forcing him out of position away from the basket.

Willie’s agility and ability to switch and stay in front of smaller players is part of his unique skill set and makes him an elite defender, but it can go for naught if his team mates don’t play their part well. But when they do play well, Willie's defensive abilities become more apparent.
I'm catching up in the thread so forgive me if I'm backtracking. I think Willie will be fine when he comes back. Maybe, in fact, he'll be like DeFox and take it up another notch. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
these youngins can't take the beating of a 82 game season....need to live in the weight room in the off season.
It always takes a while for rookies to get up to pace when they come from college. That's why they talk about a rookie wall. I know you always want everyone to hit the weight room but sometimes it's just a matter of adapting to the increased demands. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.