[Game] Kings v. Pelicans - Thursday, Oct. 26 - 7:30 PT

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Oh don't get me wrong. If I did attend the game, I would give him a standing ovation. He was the only reason for watching for quite a while. I wish it hadn't ended the way it did, and I wish him nothing but the best. I'm just a lot more fatalistic about him now than I used to be.
I mean, Vlade did dump him for scraps and cite "character mattering" and then sign a dude who promptly went on to get picked up by the cops for potentially dealing weed so it's not like Boogie's completely in the wrong here.

I mean, Vlade did dump him for scraps and cite "character mattering" and then sign a dude who promptly went on to get picked up by the cops for potentially dealing weed so it's not like Boogie's completely in the wrong here.
At the end of the day Zach's charges were all but thrown out. I'm more worried about his inability to play right now. It's early I know but DMC is 2nd in the league in personal and technical fouls and has already been fined by the league for inappropriate behavior. I'm not here to villainize dmc but I also won't let his victimization b.s fly.

To me, the interesting questions are:

1. Whether it gets ugly as Cousins trys to hang a number on the Kings and fans get frustrated about it.
2. Whether Cousins has a monster game.
3. Whether the Kings produce a tribute video and sincerely honor Cousins.
4. Whoever wins 1 of 82 games between 2 teams not going to the playoffs
5. Whether Brick makes a cameo here at some point on Thursday (sincerely, not trolling)
6. The cheer / boo ratio during starting lineups

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
At the end of the day Zach's charges were all but thrown out. I'm more worried about his inability to play right now. It's early I know but DMC is 2nd in the league in personal and technical fouls and has already been fined by the league for inappropriate behavior. I'm not here to villainize dmc but I also won't let his victimization b.s fly.
He's playing the most minutes out of any big man in the league (not gonna count Giannis and Lebron as bigs). Big men are traditionally more foul prone than other positions (comes with the territory of being the last line of defense in the paint).

Also Boogie is second in the league in technicals... with a whopping one technical foul. Pointing to him being second in the league in technicals at that juncture is disingenuous to say the least.

Demarcus's temper will always be an issue, though in Boogie's defense I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to play for Alvin Gentry too. I mean, along with the fouls, Boogie is averaging 31 ppg, 12 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.3 spg, and 3 bpg through this first week of the season (the Brow is also putting a casual 24/13) and the Pels have only managed one win because he's surrounded by borderline NBA players and Alvin Gentry would appear to be a mouth breathing idiot. Also, the whole being fined by the league thing is another flag but in the early going Boogie's actions pale to Steph Curry having a hissy fit and throwing his mouth piece at a ref or Kevin Durant flipping off the entire Memphis arena when he got booted from a game.

Did not watch the video. In Pro Sports Players get traded from time to time. The Boogie led Kings were not working out. Changes needed to be made. While the ball is in play and the clock running Boogie is the best Big Man in the Association. I loved to watch him play. I did not enjoy watching his antics with the Refs, other players, etc. That all wore very thin with me and I am glad I don't have to watch it for 82 games any longer.

I wish Boogie all the best in the future except when he plays the Kings.

I want the Kings to win.

GO KINGS!!!!! BEAT THE PELS!!!!!

I'm sad to see this. I was always a premiere defender of DMC, but this is uncalled for. What's truly sad IMHO is that he believes what he's saying. He honestly views himself as some kind of victim. I'm sorry for that, and I'm sorry for him. I'm not sorry that all the drama surrounding him is gone. I wish him well but I hope he finds a way some day to face the reality that HE is his own worst enemy.
Now I may be missing important parts of the interview, because of the language barrier and Boogies usual mumbling, but I didn't come away with the impression, that he wants to paint himself as a victim.
Everything he said, makes sense from his point of view in the hindsight.
SAC fired his favorite coach without reasons and hired Karl. Obviously there was a chance that Boogie was going to be traded back then, which somehow didn't happen. Boogie never publicy asked for a trade, so I think it's likely he decided to trust Vlade that offseason even though the relationship with Karl was difficult from the beginning. During Karl's tenure Boogie changed his playstyle dramatically, later giving Karl credit for his improved outside game. So I would assume Boogie did try his best to make it work in the beginning. But things went south nonetheless and Karl lost the team (not just Boogie). Both sides share the blame for that, but Karl has a history of upsetting his players. I would guess the elephant in the room simply was the poor performance of the team in terms of wins and losses, even though DMC put up great numbers. Boogie was asked to change his game, the playstyle of the franchise changed dramatically and still the team continued to lose. That didn't bode well for the coach vs team dynamic.
Joerger came and again Boogie decided to trust Vlade. But in hindsight, it's pretty reasonable to assume, that Vlade already knew back then, he wanted to get rid of DMC or at least he refused to go all in on the idea to built a decent team around him. He drafted a couple of big man and hired third stringers on shortterm deals, asking DMC to once again put a team with too little talent and too many ill fitting parts on his back. Despite a terrible injury to Gay, the team still had chances to make the Playoffs, when Vlade decided to pull the chair under DMC in an absolutely disgraceful way.

Long story short:

DMC is responsible for his own play, which most of the time was stellar, despite his weaknesses in transition D and pick&roll D. He is also responsible for his temper issues, which were a problem.

But he isn't responsible for the terrible teams both D'Allesandro and Vlade put around him. He isn't responsible for the terrible decision to hand the team over to Corbin or to hire Karl.
In the hindsight D'Allesandro and Vlade pretty much wasted 2 years of DMC's career.
Keep in mind, that in a league dominated by guards and wings, where most teams play with a lone big surrounded by mobile, interchangeable players, who can shoot, the best wing after Gay, we signed in recent years was Omri Casspi. Our best SG was Ben McLemore (later Garret Temple). We kept drafting bigs, where we should have went with athletic wings, to built a team around DMC. In FA we didn't adress the needs of the team at all, but settled for third stringers. There were a few decent wings, that were very obtainable in FA. Just think about Solomon Hill, James Ennis or Moe Harkless. It's not DMC's fault, that we didn't manage or didn't even try to sign one of them.

DMC clearly said, that now he has learned that the NBA is a business and that he doesn't want revenge or anything like that. When we keep in mind, how Vlade threw him under the bus, that's a pretty fair statement.
With the way it all came to an end, I completely understand, why he regrets not having asked for a trade back than. After all the trust he put in the Kings FO never paid off.
Kings management just completely left him high and dry.

Last edited:
He's playing the most minutes out of any big man in the league (not gonna count Giannis and Lebron as bigs). Big men are traditionally more foul prone than other positions (comes with the territory of being the last line of defense in the paint).

Also Boogie is second in the league in technicals... with a whopping one technical foul. Pointing to him being second in the league in technicals at that juncture is disingenuous to say the least.

Demarcus's temper will always be an issue, though in Boogie's defense I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to play for Alvin Gentry too. I mean, along with the fouls, Boogie is averaging 31 ppg, 12 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.3 spg, and 3 bpg through this first week of the season (the Brow is also putting a casual 24/13) and the Pels have only managed one win because he's surrounded by borderline NBA players and Alvin Gentry would appear to be a mouth breathing idiot. Also, the whole being fined by the league thing is another flag but in the early going Boogie's actions pale to Steph Curry having a hissy fit and throwing his mouth piece at a ref or Kevin Durant flipping off the entire Memphis arena when he got booted from a game.
You can't have a guy like that lead your squad nevermind pay him 200m. While the team will have growing pains this team is fun and exciting to watch while a DMC team really could stress me out.

I think we will win. We’ve seen the results first hand of Cousins and a subpar ensemble

I said to start the season I didn’t want George Hill coming here to cash a check after not adequately feeling his presence in the preseason, and I expected 15ppg, solid possible first option stuff. Last two games... Dude needs to step up, and if the issue is he’s not comfortable as a lead facilitator hopefully it’s resolved by a lineup change. If the issue is he’s being beaten out by other guards, ditto

I definitely think there will be a lineup change, who not sure yet. I can’t even foresee Joerger playing that same starting lineup again. If I had to guess, Bogdan at SF, Skal at PF. I think Zach has been starting to place some beef/experience around WCS, but isn’t WCS supposed to be a 5? I guess we could see the WCS/Koufos if the thin towers are deemed not sufficient, but I’d like the teams best big prospect in Skal starting personally

Let’s go

You can't have a guy like that lead your squad nevermind pay him 200m. While the team will have growing pains this team is fun and exciting to watch while a DMC team really could stress me out.
Well that's just personal preference. I think watching this team is mostly fun, because the expectations are extremely low. Losing games doesn't really hurt anymore. One or two good plays by one of our young guns is all thats necessary for me to be satisfied with the Kings performance. There is always the future to get excited about, until the future finally turns into the present again and it's once again about wins and losses.
At that point we will see, if watching the Kings still is a stressless experience. ;)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'll admit the chances just skyrocketed if AD is, in fact, out. And, I have already conceded that DMC is his own worst enemy. I'm talking, though, about the game and not about dirty tricks by fans, which I don't condone or think about. If I had to give odds that this game will turn ugly at some point, I'd be hard pressed to do so. With AD out there with him, DMC wouldn't be the whole focus. Without him, Boogie is, I fear, going to try to carry the whole load to prove the Kings made a big mistake. The whole night has the dark cloud of impending doom hanging over it. I'm actually very glad I won't be there.
Let him try to carry the whole load. Let him not believe in his team mates. Let him hog the ball. Let him hoist 3 pointers. Great! I hope WCS puts on his energizer bunny shoes and runs the hell out of him when he's in there.
Kings need to pick up the pace! Don't foul. No time for rest then. Going slow is the last thing you want to do against the Pels; that's Cousins' game.

I’m not sure I fear DMC pounding WCS into oblivion as much. DMC is still playing too much on the perimeter and tossing the ball around the gym, which is why we traded him.. if only he had the mindset or condition to play bully ball all game...

I had a 2 paragraph post about my frustrations of Boogie and the Boogie era but decided against it. I'll just say I hope we beat the Pelicans good and Buddy attacks him in the balls region again.

Now I may be missing important parts of the interview, because of the language barrier and Boogies usual mumbling, but I didn't come away with the impression, that he wants to paint himself as a victim.
SAC fired his favorite coach without reasons and hired Karl. Obviously there was a chance that Boogie was going to be traded back then, which somehow didn't happen. Boogie never publicy asked for a trade, so I think it's likely he decided to trust Vlade that offseason even though the relationship with Karl was difficult from the beginning. During Karl's tenure Boogie changed his playstyle dramatically, later giving Karl credit for his improved outside game. So I would assume Boogie did try his best to make it work in the beginning. But things went south nonetheless and Karl lost the team (not just Boogie). Both sides share the blame for that, but Karl has a history of upsetting his players. I would guess the elephant in the room simply was the poor performance of the team in terms of wins and losses, even though DMC put up great numbers. Boogie was asked to change his game, the playstyle of the franchise changed dramatically and still the team continued to lose. That didn't bode well for the coach vs team dynamic.
Joerger came and again Boogie decided to trust Vlade. But in hindsight, it's pretty reasonable to assume, that Vlade already knew back then, he wanted to get rid of DMC or at least he refused to go all in on the idea to built a decent team around him. He drafted a couple of big man and hired third stringers on shortterm deals, asking DMC to once again put a team with too little talent and too many ill fitting parts on his back. Despite a terrible injury to Gay, the team still had chances to make the Playoffs, when Vlade decided to pull the chair under DMC in an absolutely disgraceful way.

Long story short:

DMC is responsible for his own play, which most of the time was stellar, despite his weaknesses in transition D and pick&roll D. He is also responsible for his temper issues, which were a problem.

But he isn't responsible for the terrible teams both D'Allesandro and Vlade put around him. He isn't responsible for the terrible decision to hand the team over to Corbin or to hire Karl.
In the hindsight D'Allesandro and Vlade pretty much wasted 2 years of DMC's career.
Keep in mind, that in a league dominated by guards and wings, where most teams play with a lone big surrounded by mobile, interchangeable players, who can shoot, the best wing after Gay, we signed in recent years was Omri Casspi. Our best SG was Ben McLemore (later Garret Temple). We kept drafting bigs, where we should have went with athletic wings, to built a team around DMC. In FA we didn't adress the needs of the team at all, but settled for third stringers. There were a few decent wings, that were very obtainable in FA. Just think about Solomon Hill, James Ennis or Moe Harkless. It's not DMC's fault, that we didn't manage or didn't even try to sign one of them.

DMC clearly said, that now he has learned that the NBA is a business and that he doesn't want revenge or anything like that. When we keep in mind, how Vlade threw him under the bus, that's a pretty fair statement.
With the way it all came to an end, I completely understand, why he regrets not having asked for a trade back than. After all the trust he put in the Kings FO never paid off.
Perfectly said. When Cuz finally goes to a good team, we will see just how much his bad behavior influenced our previous poor seasons!

I will be under the basket, on the visitors side and will absolutely stand and cheer for DMC during the intros. Can't wait for tomorrow night. Not looking forward to our bigs trying to guard AD and Boogie. Yikes.

I'd feel a little better about this match up if the Kings were running more pick and roll play. That's Cuz's weakness defensively, but the Kings rarely seem to run much two man game.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I wish PapaG was in the rotation because I'd like to see him try to Body up and then mean-mug DMC when it inevitably gets rough. :p

I'm a petty SOB.

& I'll be wearing my #15 DeMarcus Cousins jersey cheering him on as he hopefully hangs 75 on us, giving the big hyped DMC victory yell along the way.

And hopefully Sacramento gives him a rousing ovation.
He will definitely have his chance to score points with Davis sidelined.

Long story short:

Agreed.

Nothing wrong with the video at all.

We are the fools who planted these seeds when we got rid of Malone and then later hired Karl.

Those two historical points are major major lapses which cost us the Demarcus Cousins era simply put, organizational lapses which we were never going to come away from at a time when DMC was entering his own.

If Demarcus was still a King everyone would be saying ohh look at the growth, he aint mad and out for revenge, emotionally overextending himself and going after the Kings due to how Vlade sent him on his way. He's at peace and thats growth. Just another game for him. He's still the same misunderstood man as when he was here and its a shame that those who once followed him are sharing in that sentiment.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
NOLA just signed Josh Smith.

Remember a few offseasons back when some people were excited there were rumors he was linked to us?

To me, the interesting questions are:

1. Whether it gets ugly as Cousins trys to hang a number on the Kings and fans get frustrated about it.
2. Whether Cousins has a monster game.
3. Whether the Kings produce a tribute video and sincerely honor Cousins.
4. Whoever wins 1 of 82 games between 2 teams not going to the playoffs
5. Whether Brick makes a cameo here at some point on Thursday (sincerely, not trolling)
6. The cheer / boo ratio during starting lineups
You can also find Bricky on RealGM as Winsome Gerbil. But yeah, I wondered if he would make an appearance.