[Game] Kings v. Pacers - 1/18/17 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KingsFan80

Actually no he doesn't.

This hatred of Vivek by some Kings fans just astounds me. Yes, he's made mistakes but who hasn't? If it were not for Vivek Randadive, we wouldn't have a team and we wouldn't have a brand new arena. He appears to learn from his mistakes and that's all I ask of any human being.
I actually don't really dislike Vivek. He saved the franchise. He has made mistakes but my post was in response to someone saying if you don't like the direction then pick another team. If someone is unhappy that doesn't make them less of a fan, they just want to demand better. My only issue with Vivek is some of his hires

K

KingsFan80

so then protest by not going to the games and no longer purchasing merchandise?
Sure, if someone is that unhappy about the franchise and wants to make a point? The Kings charge ALOT to attend games. If we had a losing record right now, playing younger guys and moving towards something it would be acceptable. But that isn't the case and the bad decisions just continue forward with no light at the end of the tunnel

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Sure, if someone is that unhappy about the franchise and wants to make a point? The Kings charge ALOT to attend games. If we had a losing record right now, playing younger guys and moving towards something it would be acceptable. But that isn't the case and the bad decisions just continue forward with no light at the end of the tunnel
All as fans we can really do at this point and moving forward as fans of this team is hold out hope that the incompetence, with time, will eventually diminish. the when & how is the big question that we don't know at this point in time.

G

glassman

He isn't even averaging 4 turnovers a game. How on earth do you figure he turns it over about 4-5 times ***a night*** from drives alone?!
Just wanna point out again how terrible Cousins turning the ball over... while he may not 4pg ... as u probably just looked up he season avg. he's been abysmal making protecting it and being smart.

Look the more he puts it on the floor , the more he dribbles / tries to cross people over off the dribble, or work he way into the paint from where he's been hanging out on the 3 pt line the more he turns it over.

I'm not opposed to him doing some of those things because he is gifted all around.

But...

Drop his ass in the painted area, spread the floor and let him spin and bang for points. End of story. His rebs will fo up... his efficiency will go up and those ugly losing the ball while dribbling 30 feet will come to and end.

Just wanna point out again how terrible Cousins turning the ball over... while he may not 4pg ... as u probably just looked up he season avg. he's been abysmal making protecting it and being smart.

Look the more he puts it on the floor , the more he dribbles / tries to cross people over off the dribble, or work he way into the paint from where he's been hanging out on the 3 pt line the more he turns it over.

I'm not opposed to him doing some of those things because he is gifted all around.

But...

Drop his ass in the painted area, spread the floor and let him spin and bang for points. End of story. His rebs will fo up... his efficiency will go up and those ugly losing the ball while dribbling 30 feet will come to and end.
demarcus is posting career bests in his assist to turnover ratio, turnover percentage, assist percentage, three-point percentage, and true shooting percentage, all while posting a career high in usage rate. he's actually more efficient playing this way than he has been in the past when the kings would "drop his ass in the painted area."

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
demarcus is posting career bests in his assist to turnover ratio, turnover percentage, assist percentage, three-point percentage, and true shooting percentage, all while posting a career high in usage rate. he's actually more efficient playing this way than he has been in the past when the kings would "drop his ass in the painted area."
I think is often overlooked. Boogie is big, and he's strong, so there's this assumption that he's a back-to-the-basket player. But all-in-all by the eye test he's not all that strong back-to-the-basket. The thing about Boogie is that he's quick, he's agile, he can handle, he can shoot, and he can pass. He appears to be best facing the basket with a live dribble, as a uniquely-sized triple-threat player. Not to say he can't clean up the offensive glass with his strength - he's great at that too. But how often do you see him actually see him do an over-the-shoulder post move? Even when he's in the low post his best move is to use his speed to spin around his defender to the basket. (Remember, last night he had a mouse in the house - KCP maybe? - and ended up turning the ball over.) This isn't a criticism of Cousins, because he's really good at what he does. It's just a recognition that what he does best isn't traditional over-the-shoulder post moves.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think is often overlooked. Boogie is big, and he's strong, so there's this assumption that he's a back-to-the-basket player. But all-in-all by the eye test he's not all that strong back-to-the-basket. The thing about Boogie is that he's quick, he's agile, he can handle, he can shoot, and he can pass. He appears to be best facing the basket with a live dribble, as a uniquely-sized triple-threat player. Not to say he can't clean up the offensive glass with his strength - he's great at that too. But how often do you see him actually see him do an over-the-shoulder post move? Even when he's in the low post his best move is to use his speed to spin around his defender to the basket. (Remember, last night he had a mouse in the house - KCP maybe? - and ended up turning the ball over.) This isn't a criticism of Cousins, because he's really good at what he does. It's just a recognition that what he does best isn't traditional over-the-shoulder post moves.
Which is strange when you think about it considering that he has shown flashes of using the hook shot in the paint and making it at a decent rate, yet...it doesn't happen as often as you would like to see.

G

glassman

Ok this is a reach but Cousins reminds me of a way more athletic and versatile Divac in the paint... Vlad would use his craftiness to get around guys for this unorthodox layups and hook shots. divac didn't pin guys with his strength under the basket... he spun around them. Up and under them.

Cousins can post up. I've seen it. Mike Malone made this a regular thing and didn't allow Cousins to shoot 3's... and Cousins was having at the time career numbers...

Cousins is in fact on of our best 3 pt shooters, he can indeed take guys off the dribble to the basket. But all I'm saying is he's gotten a little to out of control with this dribbling from the 3pt line to the basket.

Again. I'm not saying he can't do it... I'm not saying he should be cut off from doing it.

I'm saying it's out of control right now. He needs to be reigned in and look for better opportunities not every time.

And yes lastly he needs to get back to a baby hook. He's had it in the past. He will have wide open teammates if he gets down there with his back to the basket... teams HAVE to send a double... wide open shots... hell cousins can get thru 2 guys. But that's just easy Kings offense if we did it more.

Ok this is a reach but Cousins reminds me of a way more athletic and versatile Divac in the paint... Vlad would use his craftiness to get around guys for this unorthodox layups and hook shots. divac didn't pin guys with his strength under the basket... he spun around them. Up and under them.

Cousins can post up. I've seen it. Mike Malone made this a regular thing and didn't allow Cousins to shoot 3's... and Cousins was having at the time career numbers...

Cousins is in fact on of our best 3 pt shooters, he can indeed take guys off the dribble to the basket. But all I'm saying is he's gotten a little to out of control with this dribbling from the 3pt line to the basket.

Again. I'm not saying he can't do it... I'm not saying he should be cut off from doing it.
I'm saying it's out of control right now. He needs to be reigned in and look for better opportunities not every time.

And yes lastly he needs to get back to a baby hook. He's had it in the past. He will have wide open teammates if he gets down there with his back to the basket... teams HAVE to send a double... wide open shots... hell cousins can get thru 2 guys. But that's just easy Kings offense if we did it more.
...except it's not "out of control." there seems to be a rather large gulf between what you're feeling about cousins game and what is actually happening on the court. cousins is having the best season of his career, the most dominant season of his career, and the most efficient season of his career. and even though he's playing away from the basket much more than he did under mike malone, he's still averaging more free throw's per game than when malone coached him, attempts that he likely wouldn't get as often if he were playing in a more back-to-the-basket style.

as for carelessness, on a per game basis, boogie's turnovers are actually fairly low when you account for his astronomically high usage rate. among those who are top-5 in usage, russell westbrook and james harden both own a significantly higher turnover percentage than demarcus cousins, and they're both mvp candidates. this doesn't mean that demarcus can't further improve in the area of ball protection, but the necessity for improvement in this area pales in comparison to the impact that cousins is having this season as a 6'11, 270 pound face-up big man.

at this point, there just aren't a lot of flaws in cousins' game, and the flaws that are there almost exclusively fall into the mental toughness and maximum effort categories. cousins has improved in his penchant for complaining to officials, but he still lets missed calls (or the perception of missed calls) affect his effort on the court. personally, i find this criticism of cousins to be a bit overstated, but it's a plenty valid criticism to level at him. i do have to scratch my head, however, over complaints about how he's being utilized, on offense in particular. the stats and the eye test simply do not bear out the notion that joerger is employing his superstar big man incorrectly.

edit: by the way, this is all coming from a poster who used to prefer seeing cousins used as a power player. but the game has evolved, and though i may long for the days when every whoever on the court wasn't compelled to shoot three-pointers, credit to demarcus for evolving along with the league. he's learned how best to maximize his many skills to suit the contemporary nba.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.