[Game] Kings v. Jazz - Wednesday, Jan. 17 - 7 PT

dude12

Hall of Famer
This statement doesn't seem to be true.

View attachment 7188
*Poss = Possessions
*PPP = Points Per Possession
**stats are per 36 min

As you can see, Mitchell is only getting 1 more possession in the pick & roll and is getting more than 3x the looks via handoffs. In fact, Mitchell averages a handoff possession every 3.33 pick & roll possessions vs. Fox who averages a handoff possession every 10.4 pick & roll possessions. Where are you pulling your information?

Just looking at the PPP specifically, Fox has been very ineffective in the pick & roll, and he actually ranks 9th on the team in that stat! Whereas Mitchell is 2nd on his team at 0.82 PPP.
But but but but

It sucks, but I get why we passed on him. We have Buddy and Bogs... Late lotto, you're gonna pick for fit.

Just the fact that we worked him out twice shows me that we were mad tempted, for what it's worth.

I'd way rather have Donovan than Buddy, don't me wrong. And it's definitely a "what if".... I just feel like this draft miss actually makes sense in a sad, sad way.
No doubt that would have played a part. However, like with many other instances with these things, nothing can be really judged until some time down the track.

What if Giles ends up being a better player than Mitchell in the long run?! What if we have Fox, Giles and one or both of Buddy and Bogdan become all-starts? What if Fox and Giles both become franchise level guys? That would be a better fit than Fox and Mitchell.

Its way too early to call. When Willie was drafted who would have said his offensive game would have developed as much as it has?

This is what I mean by the fact that Bogdanovic should be held to a higher standard.. I'm not going to praise a 25yearold who's been playing pro basketball since 18 for his bball IQ.

He's been a tremendous player, but I think it's the FO asking Jerry and Grant to pump up noise around him. We saw Jerry get critical about Joerger for a split second when he said he doens't understand why they don't run Fox and WCS in PnR.
He should but even a vet has to adjust to the speed of the game. Bogi has been reluctant to catch and shoot over a man closing out on him. Yesterday was the first time I have really seen him let it fly without hesitation and he got 25 points on 11 shots.

Now I don’t expect him to go 6-6 every game I do expect him to take 6-8 attempts every game and this was the first time in a while he has 6 attempts. I wish he would take his escape dribble sideways and shoot a 3 rather than a long two and he had a couple of those still.

"I just told them we need to play with more life, we need to play with more athleticism, and we need to play with a lot more nasty," Dave Joerger said following the Kings 120-105 loss to the Jazz.

"I don't think we are physical enough," Bogdanovic said. "We've got to play tougher and to bring some dirty game on the floor and some smart decisions, like when it's time to help and when it's time to not help. We're still learning, we're still new."
The biggest problem is low IQ on team defense.

Well, that was embarrassing. And depressing I might add.

Mitchell throwing down a monster dunk on ZBo as well as a windmill off a steal. Then going on to destroying us, basically saying you should have picked me because there's not a damn player on your team that can do anything close to what I can do.

Now we're all sitting here hoping a kid sitting on the bench in a suit with eleventeen knee surgeries is going to make us forget about yet another draft blunder.
I’m okay with not drafting Mitchell. The bigger blunder was Jackson over OG. We need a good defensive wing.

I’m okay with not drafting Mitchell. The bigger blunder was Jackson over OG. We need a good defensive wing.
You'd rather have OG over Mitchell then?

I like OG but Mitchell is going to be an all star in this league. He's already doing things on the court as a rookie that only a handful of guys have ever done.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Fox had a poor game against Utah. I'm not going to say anything bad about his defense because he, unlike other Kings' players, was at least was putting out the effort, and I actually enjoy see a guy use his fouls in being very aggressive. But on the offensive end, he just didn't take advantage of favorable matchups. For example, there were several times when Ingles was on him defensively and Fox just didn't take advantage. Those are situations where Fox just has to press the issue. He can't just sit outside and pass the ball to the wing when Ingles or another relatively immobile big is on him. I'm hoping that in this second half of the season we see Fox take advantage of those situations.

You'd rather have OG over Mitchell then?

I like OG but Mitchell is going to be an all star in this league. He's already doing things on the court as a rookie that only a handful of guys have ever done.
It’s way too early to tell. At this point you would be arguing Tyreke over Steph. Fox has some things that indicate he could be awesome. I have not seen the same flashes from Jackson.

Fox had a poor game against Utah. I'm not going to say anything bad about his defense because he, unlike other Kings' players, was at least was putting out the effort, and I actually enjoy see a guy use his fouls in being very aggressive. But on the offensive end, he just didn't take advantage of favorable matchups. For example, there were several times when Ingles was on him defensively and Fox just didn't take advantage. Those are situations where Fox just has to press the issue. He can't just sit outside and pass the ball to the wing when Ingles or another relatively immobile big is on him. I'm hoping that in this second half of the season we see Fox take advantage of those situations.
Joe Ingles is our best perimeter defender. He is tough and long.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It’s way too early to tell. At this point you would be arguing Tyreke over Steph. Fox has some things that indicate he could be awesome. I have not seen the same flashes from Jackson.
To be fair, Jackson hasn't played nearly as many minutes as the other people in question.

He may be tough and long, but he's not half as quick or fast as Fox. Fox should take it upon himself to abuse Ingles or anybody else that tries to defend him on the perimeter.

If Joe is guarding Fox that is advantage Joe.

I am sure Fox will develop into a fine player but you are clearly overestimating his ability.