[Game] Kings @ Trailblazers, 10/20/21, 7pm Pacific, 10pm Eastern

How many minutes will Marvin Bagley play?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
[Editor's Note: I wrote this before the Marvin Bagley news broke. Since he's barely even been a part of the team for the last season, I stand by my statements.]

How's that for a fast offseason? Seems like it was barely but a week ago when we were all marveling at Giannis dominating the Suns in the Finals and pining over such enticing draft prospects as Franz Wagner or Moses Moody.

Fastforward three or so months and we're already here at the start of a brand new season, one in which the Kings are somehow the least Kangziest team around! Seriously, in case you've been hibernating since the close of the last Kings season, this entire offseason was filled with stories of meddling owners, hilariously incompetent front offices, coaches casually throwing players under busses, and tell-all books about dangerously imcompitent coaches literally driving players towards suicide (He's your problem now, Luka!) and none of them was about the Kings! It is an incredibly low hurdle to surpass but the Kings somehow did (knocks on wood and says twenty hail marys) and, boy, doesn't it feel nice?

That all isn't to say that the Kings had an amazing offseason by any means. Hell, if you asked people prior to summer league whether the Kings had a good offseason or not, I'd wager most Kings fans would say that they had a bad one. I mean, picking yet another point guard at the ninth overall pick despite your two best players already playing the same position as him and trading for a guy whose main achievement beyond winning a ring in Cleveland is somehow making a Kardashian sister into sympathetic figure doesn't exactly say "We are healthily building momentum towards ending our playoff drought."

And yet, the Kings are 9-0 through Vegas and the preseason, 2021 Vegas Summer League champs, possessors of the Summer League co-MVP, and no longer owned by Shaq. All in all, I'd call that a successful summer vacation, which really means nothing if none of this translates to more regular season (and hopefully postseason) success.

So here we are, a new season. Hope springs eternal and, heck, the law of averages says we've gotta stop losing at some point, right?

Regardless, I'll be watching every night with bated breath. In the immortal words of VF21, I LOVE THIS TEAM or, alternatively, "Where has the rum gone?"

+++Game 1+++
Sacramento Kings @ Portland Trailblazers
@Moda Center

Potential matchups-
No injuries to report and Luke Walton won't tell us who's playing and it's the first game of the season so it's kinda hard to know who's playing who but here's some preliminary guesses.
Richaun Holmes vs Jusef Nurkic - Nurk is a guy who's traditionally given Richaun fits. Richaun is exceedingly gifted at playing downhill on offense regardless of who's on him but he's really struggled on defense against guys who are bigger than his relatively lanky 6'9"/6'10" frame. Nurkic is definitely that. In preseason, Nurk largely had his way against the Kings despite being pretty much the only Blazer starter playing in that contest. Would not be surprised to see some Len/Tristan Thompson action early if Holmes starts slow against the Bosnian big. Advantage: Nurkic (tenuously, though I can see Holmes getting the upper hand with a nice offensive night)
Moe Harkless vs. Robert Covington - Here's where things get murky. Luke hasn't announced his starters yet but I'm pretty sure he's going with Maurice Harkless and defensive versatility over the offensive capabilities of Marvin Bagley, who started the first game of preseason before being sidelined with a mysterious knee injury for the rest of preseason. Covington has actually struggled since coming over to Portland to fill the defensive role player role originated by Moe in their system a couple of years back. Robert Covington is absolutely the better player of the two at this point in their careers and yet I oddly feel better about Harkless's chances to succeed against the Blazers than I do those of Covington against the Kings. Advantage: Draw (but Covington if we're being totally honest here.)
Harrison Barnes vs. Norm Powell - This is where things get really wonky. See, the Blazers are already playing the three guard set up that Kings fans have been discussion nonstop all offseason. Norm's only 6'3" and his shooting splits generally dropped after he got traded from Toronto but Neil Olshey backed up the Brinks Truck anyways. Norm, it must be noted, is truly one of the greatest Kings killers in recent memory. The Kings could go with a three guard lineup to start the game to counter the Blazers three guard situation but that flies in the face of everything I've come to know about Luke Walton so I'm guessing it'll be Barnes on Powell to start the night. Both guys will give each other issues but as a versatile 3/4 who has somehow become one of the most efficient scorers on the roster, I have faith that Barnes will have the better night of the two players, even if a lot of his production ends up coming from the four spot in smaller lineups. Advantage: Barnes.
Tyrese Haliburton vs. CJ McCollum - A matchup of two dudes who have been in Ben Simmons trade rumors all summer for some reason. CJ is coming off a very disappointing playoffs run in which he looked utterly useless next to Dame but has been a very solid second star next to Dame for their entire careers together in Portland (though ideally he's probably a third guy on a contender). There's been a lot of talk about Tyrese potentially taking a leap this season but that largely quieted down after a relatively unimpressive preseason where he uncharacteristically struggled with passing and hitting shots. While I expect him to bounce back and show some improvement, I still don't think that he's quite at McCollum level just yet. Advantage: McCollum.
De'Aaron Fox vs. Damian Lillard - There's been a lot of talk about Dame's future in Portland all offseason (also in conjuncture with Ben Simmons trade rumors) but he's still a Trailblazer to start the season and still an absolutely Kings destroyer. Dame's not exactly the world's best defender so I'm still expecting Swipa to eat well against the Blazers interior defense but this matchup will probably also be dependent on how much time Dame spends being defended by Davion Mitchell, who is perhaps the most impressive point of attack rookie defender I have ever seen but also has never seen a pure scorer of Damian Lillard's caliber before. If Off-Night can make things hard on Dame, it might just give the Kings a chance to start the season 1-0. Advantage: Dame
Kings Bench vs. Blazers Bench - This, in my mind, is the Kings' biggest advantage in the game. The Blazers bench is led by Larry Nance Jr., who came over from Cleveland as part of the Lauri Markannen sign-and-trade deal. Nance is a versatile defender and solid offensive role-player. After that, the Blazers bench is a general factory of sadness. Anfernee Simons was a guy who got a lot of talk about being a potential breakout player a couple years ago but that has absolutely not come to fruition for the combo guard. After him, the next best guy on the Blazers bench may be... Ben McLemore? B-Mac signed with the Blazers after effectively saving his career boy spacing the floor for the Lakers late last season. He tries hard and can occasionally really heat up but he's also Ben McLemore. Meanwhile, the Kings bench is led by some combination of Buddy Hield (potential 6MOY candidate if he stays with the Kings all season), defensive wunderkind Davion Mitchell, Tristan Thompson, who's looked surprisingly good in his time with the Kings, and Terence Davis (capable of randomly dropping 25 points at a moment's notice). Plus you'll have whatever contributions Marvin Bagley can give you if his knee hasn't fallen off his body by tipoff. I'm trying not to get too excited about the bench situation but I feel confident that this is one of the deeper Kings teams in recent memory (not exactly super difficult to achieve). Advantage: Kings

Final Predictions
This isn't exactly the easiest game to have to start the season but I guess every team can't start by playing the Thunder. The point remains that this is not an unwinable game. The Trailblazers have a new coach, aren't particularly deep, and are relying on Nurkic's leg not falling off for them to have a chance to contend in the West this season. This is the sort of game the Kings need to learn to win if they really do intend to end that playoff drought anytime soon. Alas, it's opening night in Portland and Dame just declared his love for the city so I'm pretty sure he's about to drop a fifty-burger on us. I do anticipate us putting up a fight at least.
Blazers 117, Kings 109

GO KINGS

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
And the pressure for this game steps up big time. The hand Luke is betting on is that the optics of Harkless starting over Bagley (should he that is) work in his favor and prove him out to look like a genius! Ballsy for sure. This should be fun either way!!!

Given that people were saying a preseason Blazers team featuring Nurkic, Nance and Simons was apparently a tough team to beat, I guess it means we'll lose this one.

I appreciate a little assist here: I have Dish Network and live in Sac. Does anyone know what I need to do to watch games now? I know they had a dispute with Comcast Sports Net from last year, but aren't games on NBCSports Bay Area now? My guide still doesn't show it anywhere. :confused:

I have the Dish Sports package too, but the only Kings game showing in the guide says blacked out in my location... once again, I'm in Sac!.. and it's still not showing on any other channels on the guide... NTM, all the Googling I've done doesn't seem to give me a clear answer. Ready to dump Dish.

Can't ask for being thrown into the fire more for your first NBA game than having to check up Dame Lillard and CJ McCollum for Davion. He'll obviously be the key here if he can get started right away with the defense. I think we probably see some of the 3-guard (Fox/Hali/Mitchell) as Portland will run Simons and Powell quite a bit with Dame and CJ too. Should see plenty of TT and Len early as I think this sort of match-up is exactly we went and got two beefy centers that jump more than 2 inches off the ground (*ahem.. Mr. Whiteside...*ahem)

Excited to see big minutes for Fox/Hali duo again. Injuries/Walton prevented them from getting real extended run in the back-court together, but the team was pretty much good when both were healthy and in the starting lineup together.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I appreciate a little assist here: I have Dish Network and live in Sac. Does anyone know what I need to do to watch games now? I know they had a dispute with Comcast Sports Net from last year, but aren't games on NBCSports Bay Area now? My guide still doesn't show it anywhere. :confused:

I have the Dish Sports package too, but the only Kings game showing in the guide says blacked out in my location... once again, I'm in Sac!.. and it's still not showing on any other channels on the guide... NTM, all the Googling I've done doesn't seem to give me a clear answer. Ready to dump Dish.
You can't get them on Dish. I liked Dish but I just switched to DirecTV in order to get them. I don't really like DirecTV so far, but at least I can get the games.

Dish isn't bringing NBCSports back into the lineup. And I didn't see the point in paying for Dish and paying for another service just to get the Kings.

See this thread for more discussion on this topic.

DishNetwork and NBCSportsCalifornia | KingsFans Community Forums

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You can't get them on Dish. I liked Dish but I just switched to DirecTV in order to get them. I don't really like DirecTV so far, but at least I can get the games.

Dish isn't bringing NBCSports back into the lineup. And I didn't see the point in paying for Dish and paying for another service just to get the Kings.

See this thread for more discussion on this topic.

DishNetwork and NBCSportsCalifornia | KingsFans Community Forums
so would it be irrelevant for me to get the one team package Dish offers if I live out of Cali?

Let’s goooooooooooooooooooo

I’m so excited. Blessing to all. Let’s starts the season off right boys and girls!!
Wooooo i love your energy! It’s gonna be a fun night. Our confidence right now is sky high and i pray we don’t lose that if tonight doesn’t go our way. This roster isn’t perfect but they’re special and have a chemistry that can’t be denied.

GO KINGS!!!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Amazingly the Timbers are also playing tonight and I was able to sell my ticket (granted it is our #2 rival and I had to dump it at $20, but it's a Wed night game and baseball/NBA Blazers opener so I am counting my lucky stars as I ride out this horrific final year as a season ticket holder). I can't imagine what Kings ticket holders have gone through god bless every one of you.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Stupid game is on Root here tonight so I'll probably watch baseball and then stream the DVR recording.
The Blazers TV situation is so bizarre. You'd think NBC Sports Northwest would still have been able to continue on as a network. I understand NBC being wary of having a sports network that could only air Blazers games and college sports but ROOT being the only sports channel in the entire northwest means that the Mariners, Blazers, Kraken, and Timber (and potentially the Sonics when they eventually come back) all have to share the same channel. They're going to get preempted for Kraken games in most of their non-Portland market for most of the season.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The NBCSNW deal was SOOOO hated by most of Portland and they went out and found the only thing that's worse.

I do believe that Root is now on Fubo and may have very limited live stream options for cable and dish subs. They are blacked out from live streaming on the Comcast account I use but at least a few years ago I could stream recordings. They are not on YouTube TV, Sling or any of the other services. I am pretty sure that YTTV has "won" despite the fact I dropped them after the constant rate hikes. They were far and away the premiere OTT service when I tried them all.

But like you said, they have pretty much all the teams from Seattle and Portland and Seattle takes priority. I assume that means I may get more games on our local affiliate but perhaps it means some games will just not be televised like when I lived in LA and couldn't watch Kings vs. Clippers games. I don't really remember much about the Sonics days any more, but I do remember that they were on the cable channels just as much if not more often than the Blazers back in the day.

I just added Fubotv (7-day free trial) so I could watch the game. I can't even do league pass for only the Kings because Atwater is in the area that gets blacked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.