Kings trading Evans for Vasquez/Lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said that he could be, not that he would be.

Robin Lopez last year - 82 games started, 26MPG, 11.3 PPG, 8.8 FGA, .534 FG%, 5.6 REB, 1.6 BLK
Jason Thompson last year - 81 games, 28 MPG, 10.9 PPG, 9.1 FGA, .502 FG%, 6.7 REB, 0.7 BLK

One could make the case that Lopez was better last year in every stat category aside from rebounding. More points, less shots, less minutes, more blocks, higher FG%. It's close, but Lopez has a very nice season last year.
He's mobile and can block shots, isn't that exactly what we wanted next to Cousins? I may be biased having watched him closely in college, but getting Lopez is a nice silver lining to this deal.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
There isn't anyone here who isn't grateful to Vivek and co. for saving the Kings. Let's just get that out there right now.
That said, the FO, a rather untested one at that, has had a very questionable start. They are not infallible, nor should they be exempt from criticism. This is just the start of free agency, but to say that the potential move doesn't raise a few eyebrows is disingenuous. We are right to question-isn't that what America is about?

I'm certainly willing to see what the result looks like after a season of play. One could certainly envision how this team will play. Vasquez could actually be a GREAT fit when you consider who he'll be playing with and who the coach is. The problem seems to be that now when Cousins comes off the floor we won't have anyone that can take over the game. The other problem is that I can't wear my Tyreke jersey anymore. Who's jersey shall I replace it with?!

Another thought I have is that apparently this regime likes the true pass first pg. We courted Calderon and then traded for Vasquez. So if nothing else this will be a refreshing change in style.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I said that he could be, not that he would be.

Robin Lopez last year - 82 games started, 26MPG, 11.3 PPG, 8.8 FGA, .534 FG%, 5.6 REB, 1.6 BLK
Jason Thompson last year - 81 games, 28 MPG, 10.9 PPG, 9.1 FGA, .502 FG%, 6.7 REB, 0.7 BLK

One could make the case that Lopez was better last year in every stat category aside from rebounding. More points, less shots, less minutes, more blocks, higher FG%. It's close, but Lopez has a very nice season last year.
Two things there: 1) Jason actually turned in a career worst rebounding year, and it hurt us as our rebounding plummeted again (oh for the halcyon Dalembert days). To go to somebody even worse would put a lot of pressure on the rest of the team.; 2) offensively Jaosn has developed a solid roleplayer game that actually helps Cousins. Little midrange jumper, can post when Cuz is out etc. Despite the similar point totals, this is the wrogn Lopez brother for that.

I am not 100% anti the idea BTW. As I've long mentioned, I think we need a rim protector next to Cuz, and if this deal goes through Lopez is the only one we have. But I think the numbers might be disguising some issues there.

Two things there: 1) Jason actually turned in a career worst rebounding year, and it hurt us as our rebounding plummeted again (oh for the halcyon Dalembert days). To go to somebody even worse would put a lot of pressure on the rest of the team.; 2) offensively Jaosn has developed a solid roleplayer game that actually helps Cousins. Little midrange jumper, can post when Cuz is out etc. Despite the similar point totals, this is the wrogn Lopez brother for that.

I am not 100% anti the idea BTW. As I've long mentioned, I think we need a rim protector next to Cuz, and if this deal goes through Lopez is the only one we have. But I think the numbers might be disguising some issues there.

Sam Amick@sam_amick31s
Per @ailene_voisin report on Kings/NO trade, no deal done but scenario would send Robin Lopez to Portland, Vasquez to Sac, Evans to Pelicans

Now that I've had a chance to sleep on this deal and watch more clips of Vasquez, I'm still upset about losing Reke, but I think this deal could work out.

We still need a better answer at SF though.

Let's end the pissing match to get to news... as per Amick.

Per @ailene_voisin report on Kings/NO trade, no deal done but scenario would send Robin Lopez to Portland, Vasquez to Sac, Evans to Pelicans

What is Portland giving up and to whom?

J

jdbraver

Man, just as I was preparing to explain to somebody else that I am virturally impossible to insult, along comes this. :p

First, don't come on here swinging your E-codpiece as Carmichael Dave, savior of cities, and then accuse me of abusing E-cred. At least I throw out arguments to be attacked. You are throwing out "end all dissent because I am Carmichael Dave!" And if that is not what you intended, its the effect nonetheless because like it or not, you are Carmichael Dave.

Nor come on here and accuse me of abusing mod powers to win arguments. I play a very fair game Dave. I don't think I have banned anyone in a year at least. You can leave it to your pal Napear to do the call screening and hang up on anybody disagreeing with him bit. That denotes weakness, not strength. I pummel people with logic and analysis, I need no cheats.

Its nice that you are friends with Vivek and feel close and warm and fuzzy and stuff. I actually mean that despite the snarky tone, it was a good thing. But your emotional reaction to your friend being attacked and your In Vivek We Trust loyal fan reaction is no more legit than other people's emotional reaction to their player being attacked, and btw Dave, by extension their team being damaged. Because that's the rub isn't it. If you think this is a bad move then you think that PDA came in here, an outsider, a nobody to the Kingdom, and in the matter of a few weeks hurt the future of the team we are all fans of.

And yes, put in a good word for me with Vivek if you will. If Pete keeps on like this, somebody will have to come in and clean up the mess afterwards. Tell him I'll work cheap. :)

Now let's end this fussing and fighting. Tis unseemly and unsettling for the fanbase.
You took the discussion off basketball and into emotional personal attacks. Don't go digging into Dave cuz he happens to know people. Good for him. And i will note, even, if he won't he has already gone off on Vivek and Pete D before so I don't think labeling him as a kings mouthpiece is fair.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member

Man, there better be more to this.

I want to repeat my thought earlier. This Front Office has shown more balls and aggressiveness in the past 36 hours than the previous front office did the last four years.

1. They committed to overpay Andre Iguodala 52-56 million dollars to fill a huge need at Small Forward
2. Then within a couple of hours pulled the deal off the table when they realized they were being punked.
3. Allowed Tyreke Evans to agree to the Pelican deal, not acquiescing to the "Reke" pressure to match or exceed a deal that they felt was grossly above market value.
4. And not to forget, pulled the trigger on a 20 year old whose draft stock was plummeting. Ben Mc was projected as 1, 2, 3, no lower than four.

This is pure speculation but Maloofs would not have offered Iguodala that contract and they would have begged Evans to stay in town paying him more than market value.

If I am not mistaken, PDA said when he came to town that aggressiveness is sometimes having the courage to "not" do what you are expected to do.

Entity

Hall of Famer

sounds good do we get Batum lol. or are we only taking back 2 mil in salary??? leaving us at like 44 mil. thats 14 under the cap and 4 mil under minimum salaray. Iggy? again?

For what it's worth..

Vasquez stats:

Wins: 16.4 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 9.3 APG while shooting 44% from 3 and 48% overall
Losses: 12.6 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 8.9 APG while shooting 29% from 3 and 41% overall

It's clear to me that as long as we don't lose a game ever again, we would have a great PG!

Bricklayer

I 100% agree with you. I feel like we just need to get a solid SF and things will brighten up.

I'm not sure that hasn't changed some now too.

Now the question is going to be just how giddy is the front office about McLemore. As I've mentioned, when your weakness is ballhandling, that normally is not a good base to be a goto guy/star type. And if he's not. And Reke is gone. And Thornton pretty much cannot play alongside McLemore because they are both 6'4" pure SGs -- Reke was the versatile one who could swing up or down... Well all of a sudden Boogie is kind of sitting out there all alone. If IT is retained in that 6th man role I have been advocating for him, he could help some nights. But basically Vasquez is not a scorer, none of PPat, JT or Lopez, whichever is still here is a big offensive player. We might now need instead of a solid SF, a goto guy type SF. Otherwise it could be the rookie or bust.

Interesting. That would suggest they have other plans for their cap space instead of Lopez (I believe 5M+).

I want to repeat my thought earlier. This Front Office has shown more balls and aggressiveness in the past 36 hours than the previous front office did the last four years.

1. They committed to overpay Andre Iguodala 52-56 million dollars to fill a huge need at Small Forward
2. Then within a couple of hours pulled the deal off the table when they realized they were being punked.
3. Allowed Tyreke Evans to agree to the Pelican deal, not acquiescing to the "Reke" pressure to match or exceed a deal that they felt was grossly above market value.
4. And not to forget, pulled the trigger on a 20 year old whose draft stock was plummeting. Ben Mc was projected as 1, 2, 3, no lower than four.

This is pure speculation but Maloofs would not have offered Iguodala that contract and they would have begged Evans to stay in town paying him more than market value.

If I am not mistaken, PDA said when he came to town that aggressiveness is sometimes having the courage to "not" do what you are expected to do.
Backing out of a near max offer, caving to a restricted FA signing by S&T, and picking the player that falls in your lap is hardly aggressive.

As for the trade, I'm feeling down, mostly because of all the memories we've had with reke and that attempt to have a young guy drafted and grow with the same team. But, I understand why the FO let him go. This is Cousin's team now all in all. As talented as tyreke was, they didn't believe in having two ball stoppers on the floor eating the shot clock up. And that's understandable.
However, we did get talent in return. More beef up front in Lopez who I always wanted all along next to cousins and a talented PG in Vasquez. There will be ball movement on this team and that's already a great first step.

Knee jerk reaction for everybody except for the Reke detractors would obviously be to throw the kitchen sink at the FO, but thats natural. We've experienced some great moments with Reke through 4 years, but just like anything in life, the world won't end. Remember, we still have that massive guy in the middle who feels the reign of the team tightening around his massive hand.

I don't totally disagree, and I think Jason Thompson is a better player overall. He certainly has more skill, was just pointing it out as an option that should be looked at. Lopez is also a year younger, for whatever that's worth.

Anyway, it doesn't look like it will matter because he may be going to Portland per Amick. So we deal away a potential shotblocker because ...? We want Asik! go get Asik. This adds 5 mil to our caproom, and I'm betting we use it, but on who?

I am convinced many of you have not watched Greivis Vasquez play, he is extremely underrated. He may be a top 10 pg in the NBA.
Good yes. In fact I would love to have him on the team, but without giving up Evans. But I don't think he's top 10. IMO these players are all better than he is - in no particular order: Parker, Rose, Westbrook, Curry, Paul, Williams, Nash (when healthy), Irving, Wall, Rondo, Conley, Lillard, Lawson.

I love Tyreke, and I'm pretty mad that we didn't even give him a shot. It's really unfortunate that the team was only sold this year. Imagine if we got to see a year of Evans/ Cousins under coach Malone, maybe draft someone instead of Thomas Robinson ... that would end all the bickering that is currently going on. But I am willing to wait and see how this works out. Btw all the talk of Tyreke's new role in NO should not diminish his value at all. NO does not "only" see him as a backup SG/SF ... It's just that they happen to have Jrue Holiday (a proven PG) and Eric Gordon at the 2 who is signed to a massive contract. I'm pretty darn sure that if they get rid of Gordon Tyreke will be moved up to a starting spot.

I'm honestly most p*ssed with the fact that Tyreke is going to NO, because I can't stand watching their games. So .. cheesy and ughh hate hate HATE their entire broadcast and announcers. When Martin was traded I followed Houston for quite a while... same for Bibby to the Hawks. Not sure I'll be able to put up with following Evans.

It'll be interesting what the next hot topic of this board becomes. I shudder at the thought of not having to argue day in and day out with Kingster and to a lesser extnet Gary over Tyreke Evans. It's a huge change after 4 years, but I'm glad that life at kingsfans.com will go on (and that I didn't have to move over to a Sonics forum).

I hope that Tyreke blows up and becomes a superstar just so I can rub it in certain posters' faces. I'm arrogant that way :p But honestly who likes being wrong? Meanwhile I hope for the best for our Sacramento Kings. PDA has not made a good first impression with me, but I am willing to wait and see what happens. My new favourite player on the team shall be ......Jimmer Fredette woo!! Go Jimmer! He's got the potential to be a superstar yoz!

I now have been exposed to this news for about an hour and I have read the first twenty and last ten posts out of 346. Losing Evans is big for the team (which we may not recognize when the season starts). The FO is aggressive as advertised and is building an interesting new team. It seems apparent to me that we wll see the other half of the changes before training camp.

Ranadive and partners "pays their money" and they do get to play. Very interesting run so far, and a real challenge to this board which is having a hard time keeping up. Go Kimgs whoever you are!!!

Well I had my hopes up for Iggy AND Reke.......Now it looks like a solid NO WAY for Iggy and Probably not Reke. Man this Twitter age in something else:)

Now we are going to get Vasquez and Lopez. But wait now we are only getting Vasquez and Lopez is going to Portland????

I would suggest we all just hold on for the ride and see where it takes us. What else are you going to do???;)

KB

Bricklayer

You took the discussion off basketball and into emotional personal attacks. Don't go digging into Dave cuz he happens to know people. Good for him. And i will note, even, if he won't he has already gone off on Vivek and Pete D before so I don't think labeling him as a kings mouthpiece is fair.
Dave's outburst was a very emotional one BECAUSE he knows people. That is the only reason it was mentioned. It goes without saying that I am generally a Carmichael Dave fan. It also goes without saying that because he is Carmichael Dave when he puts you on blast a response is necessary.

Unclear what is happening with Lopez. Are we getting a player or is New Orleans? It could go either way, I guess we'll wait and see.

If we are the ones getting a player back, I'd be very interested in Victor Claver, and to a lesser extent Will Barton.

Or PDA could just troll us so hard and bring back Hickson.

Status
Not open for further replies.