Kings @ Spurs Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
someone was at least 10 feet away or so, (not sure) from the hoop .. but the camera zoomed right away so I couldn't tell who it was either.

oh well.. we fought for it, nothing we can do except remain being the obsessive supportive kings fans that we are.:cool:
Just because you could see it, doesn't mean Miller could. I didn't see anyone else wide open, but I'd have to check my tape to be sure.

I feel that Musselman should have pulled Bibby and sat him on the bench. Martin was shooting poorly the other night so he sat on the bench. Bibby was shooting poorly, but he was still out there. Was Musselman trying to make up for pulling Martin the other night by leaving Bibby out there? If anything Musselman at least needs to be consistent.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I guess...but its still a loss, either way you look at it.
I'm not one for moral victories, but coming on the heels of a blowout last night in the middle of a tough road swing and being down big for a stretch this is about as close as it gets. I thought going into this trip both of these games were going to be losses. The next two are winnable even if I don't think we'll win both, but at least they won't be coming into them off back to back blowouts.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I feel that Musselman should have pulled Bibby and sat him on the bench. Martin was shooting poorly the other night so he sat on the bench. Bibby was shooting poorly, but he was still out there. Was Musselman trying to make up for pulling Martin the other night by leaving Bibby out there? If anything Musselman at least needs to be consistent.
The difference is that Martin is a third-year player. Bibby is a premiere (most of the time) point guard. I think Musselman kept him out there primarily as the floor general. And, if that was the case, I have to agree. Neither Price nor Garcia could even remotely be expected to run the team in a last-minute battle against the Spurs.

Excuse me? I don't believe I mentioned you, did I? If the shoe fits, wear it. If you've used the word BLAME, I was referring to you.
Yes, I blame Bibby for tonights loss, so looks like you were referring to me. He shot poorly, and his shot selection was poor. How can you not put the blame on him? Everyone else played pretty damn effecient, except Bibby.

I'm just having trouble figuring out how you can pretend that nothing is wrong with this team, and the minute someone points out specific problems with players, it is labeled as "bashing", unless of course it is Kenny Thomas.:rolleyes:

Yeah, in a close game, right now Bibby is the only point guard on this team I'd have out there. Even tho I can see him struggling with his shot. He did have 9 assists. That had to have something to do with being in the game at all.

That ball should never have touched Bibby's hands in that last possession, but it did, and I don't blame him for taking the shot, he had to.
I didn't see anyone else for Brad to throw to. Given his poor shooting night, my guess is he is the one the Spurs didn't mind taking the last shot.

The difference is that Martin is a third-year player. Bibby is a premiere (most of the time) point guard. I think Musselman kept him out there primarily as the floor general. And, if that was the case, I have to agree. Neither Price nor Garcia could even remotely be expected to run the team in a last-minute battle against the Spurs.
Okay, that's fine and I'll take it. Yet MY personal opinion is that he should have acted a little more like a general and a lot less like a soldier. Generals do not do the dirty work they tell the others what to do, I don't see any generals going out onto the field assault rifle in hand. But then again that's just my take on it.:rolleyes:

There's the difference between the type of fans we are, then. I don't feel the need to BLAME anyone especially. Yes, Bibby could have done better. That doesn't put the loss on his shoulders. It's still a TEAM game. There were errors made throughout the game that, if looked at individually, could be considered THE one mistake that actually cost us the game. The Spurs are a good team. They beat us at home by one lousy basket. And we came back from a 17-point deficit.

Am I happy about it? No, of course not. Can I live with it without kicking something or cursing? Yes.

I am just saying that this game was winnable if Mike didn't play so terrible. I mean Salmons and Martin played great, Shareef and Kenny played decent for stretches, Corliss was bad, Miller played good D and rebounded, Garcia atleast hustled. But I saw plenty of times where the Spurs just got open corner 3s from Bowen while Martin/Salmons guarded Bibby's guy and one of theirs because Mike didn't get back on D or go out to the corner. He made Bruce Bowen look like Reggie Miller. I'm criticizing a bad game, hopefully he's not this terrible again. I'm not someone who is a player hater or anything, but I can recognize a bad game.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I am just saying that this game was winnable if Mike didn't play so terrible.
This game was winnable if that one guy who missed that one shot at that one point in the game had just made it. K-Mart missed that breakaway to close the first quarter, I'm going to blame him.

:p kidding

I think before ;you can label Bibby a "premier" point guard, he must first learn how to play some semblence of defense. He also needs to realize that when you shoot under 35% from the floor, you probably should not lead your team in shot attempted. This can be blamed on his wrist. But his defense is inexcusable. He simply does not give the effort. Consistently he takes a shot which he misses, but instead of getting back on D, he whines to the ref and not surprisingly his man gets a wide open layup. And in my honest opinion, your point guard should not lead your team in shots. Bibby to often calls his own number and that often leads to the other players on the floor having no offensive flow.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think before ;you can label Bibby a "premier" point guard, he must first learn how to play some semblence of defense. He also needs to realize that when you shoot under 35% from the floor, you probably should not lead your team in shot attempted. This can be blamed on his wrist. But his defense is inexcusable. He simply does not give the effort. Consistently he takes a shot which he misses, but instead of getting back on D, he whines to the ref and not surprisingly his man gets a wide open layup. And in my honest opinion, your point guard should not lead your team in shots. Bibby to often calls his own number and that often leads to the other players on the floor having no offensive flow.
Sorry, but since you've never had anything good to say about Mike Bibby, I can't really give your assessment too much credence.

BMiller....the answer to your question is that BIbby does not care about defense (I hate how often he flops trying to get an offensive foul and as a result his man gets a step on him and gets a wide open layup). I seriously don't know how he can not be embarrased while the team watches game film. I just wish he put as much effort on D as he does on offense.

P.S. Please Bibby, stop picking your freaking finger nails. Maybe that is his problem, he does not want to break a nail playing D.:D

Whether or not you give it credence, any sane human being can watch a game and see that Bibby does not play defense. I really would not care if he just showed some effort. And basketball is a two sided game and IMO offense is not more important than D. But I realize you are a big time BIbby fan so I do understand your defending him. I do much the same about a certain Kings player.

Sorry, but since you've never had anything good to say about Mike Bibby, I can't really give your assessment too much credence.
Are you happy, in an overall sense, with his defensive prowess? I don't think his shooting is all that legitimate a criticism, but his defensive effort is, in my opinion.

piksi

Hall of Famer
This is very simple. We have NO ONE that can play PG nearly as well as Bibby does despite all his deficiencies. Is he an all star caliber player - probably not. Does he play only "one way BB" - sure. Makes no difference because we don't have other options and thus we have to live with being abused by any guard ay any time. Usually, Mike can make it up on the other end. Lately, he has been horrible/pathetic and yer we still need him because no one else can even handle the ball on this team

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Mike Bibby had a bad game. Happens. He;s also off to a bad start this season, an dhard to tell how much of that is the injuries, how much is the new system/coach, and how much is jsut, well a slow start. Peole forget he started very slow last year too and then came on strong for career year scoringwise.

But Mike Bibby is also an 8 year pro, career starter, big scorer, and playoff tested veteran. He has a bad game, a bad month for that matter, it doesn't change the basic assessment of his abilities, nor whwther you want him on the floor over Ronnie Price or Jason Hart. Just means its yet something else that needs work.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
How can you not give facts credence?
Okay, here we go again. I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to Wheeler03, who has a longtime reputation around here of not liking anything about Mike Bibby. I personally think it dates back to the long ago conflict between Bibby and Wheeler03's personal favorite, SAR.

Is there a particular reason you keep trying to make this about you?

Okay, here we go again. I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to Wheeler03, who has a longtime reputation around here of not liking anything about Mike Bibby. I personally think it dates back to the long ago conflict between Bibby and Wheeler03's personal favorite, SAR.

Is there a particular reason you keep trying to make this about you?
Well, this is a "public" message board, so I just assumed anything posted in "public" was fair game. Everything Wheeler mentioned was true, and I simply asked how you could deny it.

I really think Salmons could play some point guard. Bibby's shooting will improve when his hand heals, but his D will never be close to average. When Bibby plays a distributing role, we win. It has happened three games that I can think of, and not surprisingly we blew each opponent out. Even when Bibby is hot, when the p.g. brings the ball up the floor, calls for a screen and puts up a jumpshot it frustrates the offense. I do not care if BIbby shots because when healthy he is a deadly mid-range shooter, but please take the shots within the offense.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Martin also had no rebounds, steals, or assists (and 3 TOs, 2 from offensive fouls). Bibby still contributed in other ways, although if he passed more and shot less this game we mighta been able to actually steal it.

VF,,you were so close but not correct. I don't like BIbby as a p.g. because he allows too much penetration, is nearly a shoot first p.g. and picks his finger nails during every free moment. Can you honestly say that Bibby is an average defender?

Mike Bibby had a bad game. Happens. He;s also off to a bad start this season, an dhard to tell how much of that is the injuries, how much is the new system/coach, and how much is jsut, well a slow start. Peole forget he started very slow last year too and then came on strong for career year scoringwise.

But Mike Bibby is also an 8 year pro, career starter, big scorer, and playoff tested veteran. He has a bad game, a bad month for that matter, it doesn't change the basic assessment of his abilities, nor whwther you want him on the floor over Ronnie Price or Jason Hart. Just means its yet something else that needs work.
Through 15 games last year Bibby was averaging 19 points on 45.6% shooting. This is not a slow start, it's an epically bad start. I agree with the factors (injury, new system), but a lot of it is just Mike. He's not taking good shots.

Bibby should definitely get the most minutes of the PGs, he should be on the floor at the end of the game, but if Bibby's shooting 5-19, when Salmons is guarding Parker fine, I just don't see the wisdom in playing him 42 minutes. I don't care much for benching guys, but Bibby just isn't helping out there.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I really think Salmons could play some point guard. Bibby's shooting will improve when his hand heals, but his D will never be close to average. When Bibby plays a distributing role, we win. It has happened three games that I can think of, and not surprisingly we blew each opponent out. Even when Bibby is hot, when the p.g. brings the ball up the floor, calls for a screen and puts up a jumpshot it frustrates the offense. I do not care if BIbby shots because when healthy he is a deadly mid-range shooter, but please take the shots within the offense.
While I agree that Salmons can and has occasionally played the point, I think we were pretty much hamstrung in that respect tonight because of the absence of Artest. That left Salmons playing the 3, and he may be good but I don't think he's good enough to play the 3 and the 1 at the same time.

I'll accept those comments, Wheeler, because I pretty much agree with them for the most part. As defensive as you get about SAR, that's how defensive I get about Bibby for some strange reason. And he's not even my favorite player on the team.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.