Kings sign Desmond Mason (merged)

Maybe he could teach Donte how dunk...oh wait...

maybe he could teach Martin some defen...oh wait...

maybe he could fill a void at the swingma...oh wait...

maybe he could take away PT that would normally go to develop the youth movement...

YEEEAAAH!

This signing makes no sense at all. Even if we signed Mason because Noc or Garcia might be on the move, I still don't like it. If we move Noc or Garcia, the idea behind it would be more playing time for Omri and Donte, not a washed-up Desmond Mason. And if we signed him just for his veteran presence, I think Bobby Jax would have been a better fit. At this point, this was a terrible move IMO.
That is what I think... the whole "its probably for some veteran presence" reason is moot because if we wanted that we would have signed Jax to the team who isn't just a vet presence but a leader. There HAS to be a trade of some sort...

BREAKING NEWS! KINGS TRADE BENO UDRIH, KENNY THOMAS, AND ANDRIS NOCIONI FOR CHRIS BOSH AND JOSE CALDERON!

K

Kingsguy881

Maybe he was brought in for his experince to be used during practice?

Practice? We're talking about practice here.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I officially renounce my title as "chief apologist" for the front office. This makes no sense to me whatsoever...and I can't even come up with a half-baked ounce of enthusiasm.

I officially renounce my title as "chief apologist" for the front office. This makes no sense to me whatsoever...and I can't even come up with a half-baked ounce of enthusiasm.

For the most part I'm with you on defending the FO but as you said...this just doesn't make sense. I wish we could at least have an idea of whats going on.

Wow, the day has finally arrived. I'm actually a little frightened right now. What happens next?

K

Kingsguy881

That's low - Desmond actually has/had talent!

Re: Tyreke's lack of shooting: Believe me, I hope to...

Really keeping my fingers crossed for some sort of trade - why not for an expiring contract/washed up injured big? (keeping with theme of course)
Monta Ellis is highly regarded as not the best shooter. Didn't stop him from scoring 50 on the Kings last season. Same with DWade.

I really don't get this signing either.

The only benefit i can see, is come the trade deadline, when we are trying to move KT/Beno we will a low salary filler, that some team may want???

I don't know what Petrie has in mind while doing this...the only thing bout this that I don't mind is that it's for 1 year at the league minimum...at least he's not throwing $$$ at a mediocre player for multiple years like he did Mikki, that was inexcusable. This move still baffled me though, the 'why' part still has yet to be filled in. I'm sure Geoff will give is a bland answer as to why he signed a player at a position that half our team plays.

Best case scenario, Desmond Mason makes a rap about the Kings like he did for the Hornets:

[yt=Desmond Mason Rap]Dw895TeobFE[/yt]

I think this is a wonderful pickup. I'm expecting alot of energy from this player. I think he will give us a few highlights and a much needed spark from the bench when we need it.

SITUATION:

"Kings down by 1 with 1:00 to go, Tyreke brings the ball up kicks it down low to Thomspon, Mason cuts to the basket, Hawes behind the back, DUNK BY MASON, OH IF YOU DONT LIKE THAT YOU DONT LIKE NBA BASKETBALL!!"

that kind of playmaking is what wins games. Now I want to see that play actually happen atleast once this season. I pray, I really do.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Makes no sense, unless it precipitates a trade. Petrie's credibility on FA moves will continue to go down unless there is some more substance here than meets the eye.

so yeah...why isn't there a blank stare emoticon. cuz that's what i'd like to emote.

also...could this be the first time in kingfans history where every poster in a thread has been in complete agreement?

that's gotta be worth something.

thanks desmond!

Makes no sense, unless it precipitates a trade.
That was exactly what I said when we signed Mikki. I spent the rest of the offseason waiting for one of our bigs to be traded. But, since then, I've stopped expecting things.

Sometimes our personnel transactions just don't make any sense.

I don't think this signing makes much sense. If anything we need to beef up the frontcourt with bigger, stronger players.....much better than Sean May. Spencer is one of my favorite players on the team, but we need at least one talented physical specimen in the post.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
According to Sam Amick, the deal is not guaranteed until Jan 10. So we do have that bright side. :rolleyes:
Now that does make sense. Bring him into camp as a journeyman example for the younger players and let them duke it out to see who's going to garner minutes.