Kings possible draft picks game

C

Cold

So the comparisons have run, but Wiggins looks nothing like TMac here tonight. Stylistically, athletically. TMac was a big guy. In control, long for his position. Wiggins looks like a quick skinny SG. Very fast, but I'm still waiting for him to do something impressive I can't see in 20 other games this week.
Wiggins and Tmac are virtually the same size (tmac 6"6 without shoes, wiggins 6'6.5 without shoes). Both are extremely athletically. Young Tmac didn't quite have the jumper down yet. Prime Tmac was in the conversation for the best player in the NBA. Not sure if Wiggins has the mentality.

Sorry, edit: both are 6'6.5 without shoes, 6'8 with shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Out of the four big names playing tonight, Wiggins has done the least to maintain his placement.

1. Parker
2.Randle
3a. Embiid
3b. Wiggins

C

Cold

Wiggins despite his hype, is actually fairly new to the scene. He exploded at the world tournament. We still need to see a lot more of him to get a better idea what kind of player he is. He seems to disappear at times tonight, like people have warned.

If Wiggins continues playing like this the whole year, we would have a realistic chance at getting him. Parker has been impressive, but not as effective in the 2nd half.

C

Cold

Sucks that both parker and wiggins were in foul trouble late. took away their aggressiveness a bit.

Wiggins' first step is lethal and better suited for the NBA than NCAA with all their retarded zones.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I didn't watch the second half because I assumed Wiggins was the real deal and just had an average first half. I have been conflicted about rooting to lose but no more. We need the best statistical chance we can get. Just because we have had bad luck in the past means nothing going forward. Statistical probabilities are statistical probabilities and are not effected by year, weather, past results, or geography. Every year starts from scratch and the probabilities are known. o_O

What has been said about the draft being deep was proved to me. What I didn't realize is that there were several that would have gone #1 in any year in the past and maybe #1 in a decade. How can you turn that down?

As to outright tanking, I suspect even if Malone turned us around a little bit we would still have a poor record and get a very good guy. If there is any deliberate playing of certain combinations in order to up the odds of losing, how would anyone know? We are that bad. That's the beauty of this year. We'll see how the year plays out for this draft class and for the Kings but next draft day may be a lot of fun.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I didn't watch the second half because I assumed Wiggins was the real deal and just had an average half. I have been conflicted about rooting to lose but no more. We need the best statistical chance we can get. Just because we have had bad luck in the past means nothing going forward. Statistical probabilities are statistical probabilities and are not effected by year, weather, past results, or geography. Every year starts from scratch and the probabilities are known. o_O

What has been said about the draft being deep was proved to me. What I didn't realize is that there were several that would have gone #1 in any year in the past and maybe #1 in a decade. How can you turn that down?

As to outright tanking, I suspect even if Malone turned us around a little bit we would still have a poor record and get a very good guy. If there is any deliberate playing of certain combinations in order to up the odds of losing, how would anyone know? We are that bad. That's the beauty of this year. We'll see how the year plays out for this draft class and for the Kings but next draft day may be a lot of fun.
The way I see it, there are at least four guys worthy of a number one pick on any other year in this draft. Let's let that sink in. Four players who are pretty much guaranteed superstars in the league. I wasn't really too sold on some of the "lesser" guys but now I'm all in. Landing a top seven pick in this draft is probably our fastest way back to relevance barring Lebron or Durant going crazy and demanding a trade to the Kings.

Parker, Wiggins, and Randle are all surefire game changers. Marcus Smart and Exum are both potential franchise point guards with the talent to be perennial All-Stars. Embiid may have the physical talent to eventually be the best player of this draft class (anytime someone can be compared to Hakeem unironically, they have special talent). Aaron Gordon has been considered a darkhorse candidate for the fist overall pick. Hell, even a guy like Selden (not that I'd recommend us drafting him considering we just brought in B-Mac) or Andrew Harrison could be a key cog in a franchise's regeneration.

I've drank the kool aid.

Now, for a little reality check...

Parker was impressive in the first half, but he was red-hot shooting the rock. Three pointer after three pointer, and even a fadeaway. No way he shoots like that every game. You can see what happened after he cooled down down the stretch. Still impressive game, but need to see him over the span of the college season. Was that shooting a fluke? We'll see.

Wiggins will still go #1. His ball skills aren't as polished as Parker's, but they are there. He hit a clutch stepback jumper thats going to be unguardable in the NBA. Plus he's so damn athletic that he gets efficient baskets all over the court. However I need to see him continue to polish his jumpshot and ballhandling before I call him the next great NBA wing. Doesn't mean he won't get there, but he has a lot of work to do.

Ultimately, I wouldn't trade Cousins for anyone in this draft. I think he's going to be better in the long run than any of these prospects. Some of them sure would look damn good next to Big Cuz though :D

Parker was impressive in the first half, but he was red-hot shooting the rock. Three pointer after three pointer, and even a fadeaway. No way he shoots like that every game. You can see what happened after he cooled down down the stretch. Still impressive game, but need to see him over the span of the college season. Was that shooting a fluke? We'll see.

Wiggins will still go #1. His ball skills aren't as polished as Parker's, but they are there. He hit a clutch stepback jumper thats going to be unguardable in the NBA. Plus he's so damn athletic that he gets efficient baskets all over the court. However I need to see him continue to polish his jumpshot and ballhandling before I call him the next great NBA wing. Doesn't mean he won't get there, but he has a lot of work to do.

Ultimately, I wouldn't trade Cousins for anyone in this draft. I think he's going to be better in the long run than any of these prospects. Some of them sure would look damn good next to Big Cuz though :D
I've seen him do it before, earlier this season actually (debut game).

Completely hypothetic question - if we drafted Randle, would you trade Cuz for Anthony Davis? Wouldn't happen for a number of reasons, but a Davis/Randolph pairing would be beastly on both sides of the floor.

Yes, I'm aware that NOP wouldn't do that, but for the sake of argument...
I would rather trade Randle for Davis. Davis and Randle are both PFs in my eyes so having such a talented shotblocking PF next to Cousins would be a thing of beauty.

C

Cold

Parker is a documented shooter. He has plenty of hot nights. You obviously only watched him play for one game. Comparing Nick i-can't-shoot Young to Parker SMH. Dumb.

Wiggins is explosive as hell with that first step and looks like he will do better in the NBA than in NCAA, but he still needs to develop some NBA skills. Whereas Parker is NBA ready. He has a ton of skills that will translate immediately. Tune in and watch Parker some more. He doesn't need to be hot from 3 to dominate. He scores in a variety of ways. That's why many people compare his style to Paul Pierce's.

Parker has no holes in his game, is full-sized, more athletic than he looks, and has a very high IQ. His passing is great, he rebounds well, can shoot the ball, very good ball-handler. I think right now he's clearly better than Wiggins, he can create for others as well as for himself. That said, Wiggins is clearly talented and uber-athletic. It's not at all certain that Wiggins will go number one though, as HFM is suggesting. It's not just Parkers shooting that's great, it's pretty much everything. This will of course sound outlandish, and it is, but his game is very similar to LeBrons - a less athletic, better shooting LeBron. Now clearly his passing/rebounding is probably not on the same level either, but he's a do-it-all player with elite talent. He may not be a freak athlete, but he's deceptively athletic.

Clearly it's too early to know how the draft is going to go, but right now I think both Parker and Randle go ahead of Wiggins.

Rodney Hood also likes like quite a promising prospect. Eager to see more of him.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Parker has no holes in his game, is full-sized, more athletic than he looks, and has a very high IQ. His passing is great, he rebounds well, can shoot the ball, very good ball-handler. I think right now he's clearly better than Wiggins, he can create for others as well as for himself. That said, Wiggins is clearly talented and uber-athletic. It's not at all certain that Wiggins will go number one though, as HFM is suggesting. It's not just Parkers shooting that's great, it's pretty much everything. This will of course sound outlandish, and it is, but his game is very similar to LeBrons - a less athletic, better shooting LeBron. Now clearly his passing/rebounding is probably not on the same level either, but he's a do-it-all player with elite talent. He may not be a freak athlete, but he's deceptively athletic.

Clearly it's too early to know how the draft is going to go, but right now I think both Parker and Randle go ahead of Wiggins.

Rodney Hood also likes like quite a promising prospect. Eager to see more of him.
I like this because he doesn't look physically imposing and in fact, perhaps a little out of shape. He sure doesn't play like he is out of shape.

I don't disagree with you, which is just kind of nuts. Wiggins is amazing, but so are the other top prospects in this class.

I like this because he doesn't look physically imposing and in fact, perhaps a little out of shape. He sure doesn't play like he is out of shape.
You're right that he doesn't look in tip-top shape, he's a little soft looking and his body fat % is probably a little higher than it needs to be. But for a guy his size, he's so fluid and smooth. There was a play in the first half where he crossed someone over on the baseline and drove baseline for the big dunk - the ball was stolen just before he rose up but his head was close to the rim. Whoever was about to attempt to block the shot needs to thank their teammate because he was about to get posterised in a big way. He also had one or two other instances where his head was above the backboard, and I thought he had no chance of getting that alley-oop which he finished impressively with one hand. The extra bulk may help him in the post, where he also has a developed game. It certainly doesn't hinder him.

Parker is a documented shooter. He has plenty of hot nights. You obviously only watched him play for one game. Comparing Nick i-can't-shoot Young to Parker SMH. Dumb.
Its always amusing to see fans get starstruck like preteen fangirls when watching prospects dominate high school competition. I hate to be the one to pop that adorable little bubble but someone has to do it :p

Just a friendly reminder about the college superstars who couldn't translate their game because jumpshots get harder in the NBA. Michael Beasley anyone?

FWIW: Parker is obviously talented. The potential is there. The question is, how will he do when his jumper isn't falling? He's a decent athlete with about average size for his position, not a physical freak. He shot 3/8 in the second half yesterday and his team lost a close game. Obviously its not his fault entirely but if we're talking about a future superstar, he needs to leave his imprint on the game, especially in crunch time. Yesterday he was outplayed by Wiggins down the stretch.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I've seen him do it before, earlier this season actually (debut game).
He went 8 of 10 overall and 3 for 3 from the three point line in his first game. He is without a doubt, the most skilled player in this coming draft. Wiggins may end up being the best of the lot in five years, but Parker and Randle will be right there with him. Exum is another that has star written all over him. Aaron Gordon is a a slightly smaller version of Blake Griffin, with more energy. Embiid has only played basketball for a couple of years, and his advancement is remarkable. Its possible that he'll go top 5 if he continues to improve. If I had to choose right now, I'd take Parker and go home a happy man.

Its always amusing to see fans get starstruck like preteen fangirls when watching prospects dominate high school competition. I hate to be the one to pop that adorable little bubble but someone has to do it :p
Everyone played in highschool once, you can only play against what's in front of you. If you can shoot it, you're probably going to be able to shoot it in college, especially if you're not undersized/unathletic, and work hard.

Just a friendly reminder about the college superstars who couldn't translate their game because jumpshots get harder in the NBA. Michael Beasley anyone?
Beasley could score and rebound but had little else to his game, certainly not near the amount in his arsenal that Parker has. And Beasleys problems are well documented which have more to do with his failings as a player than his talent.

FWIW: Parker is obviously talented. The potential is there. The question is, how will he do when his jumper isn't falling? He's a decent athlete with about average size for his position, not a physical freak. He shot 3/8 in the second half yesterday and his team lost a close game. Obviously its not his fault entirely but if we're talking about a future superstar, he needs to leave his imprint on the game, especially in crunch time. Yesterday he was outplayed by Wiggins down the stretch.
He's the wrong guy to talk about when he's struggling with his jumper because he's already demonstrated, and has done so at all levels up to this point, that his game is multi-faceted. Rebounds, plays defense, passes the ball extremely well, handles it well. He's not going to impact a game solely by scoring. He's better than a decent athlete, by the way. And he clearly did leave an imprint on the game, he was the best player on the floor. I still have to watch the last 10 minutes of the game because my DVR cut off, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Wiggins did down the stretch.

But I pretty much think you're vastly underestimating what Parker does out there (in so much as one can given that we're only a few games in ;)).

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I've been watching Parker for a long time. Trust me, he's the real deal. As for his shot not falling as well in the second half, so what? No player in the NBA hits every damm shot.
In his first game he went 8 for 10 overall and 3 for 3 from the three point line. Last night he went 9 for 18 overall and 4 for 7 from the three point line. To these old eyes, that's outstanding shooting. What are you, a cup is half empty guy? Must we look for the negatives in everything? I swear to god, sometimes I just don't understand people. After two games, Parker is shooting around 60% from the floor.

S

storisaurus

Wiggins stood out to me as being the most naturally gifted player. Amazing first step and explosiveness. If Wiggins has the correct mindset, I think he will be very special on both ends. Wiggins also showed the "clutch gene." Yes, I believe in being clutch as a special skill that only the true greats possess.

Parker reminds me a LOT of Carmelo Anthony, which is a good and bad thing. Very fast and agile for a man of his size. Smooth stroke. Great handle.

Time will tell.

I've been watching Parker for a long time. Trust me, he's the real deal. As for his shot not falling as well in the second half, so what? No player in the NBA hits every damm shot.

In his first game he went 8 for 10 overall and 3 for 3 from the three point line. Last night he went 9 for 18 overall and 4 for 7 from the three point line. To these old eyes, that's outstanding shooting. What are you, a cup is half empty guy? Must we look for the negatives in everything? I swear to god, sometimes I just don't understand people. After two games, Parker is shooting around 60% from the floor.

I’m not a “half cup empty” guy, I’m more of a “wait-and-see” guy. Its been two college games and while it’s enough to get a feel for a player’s style of play, its definitely not enough to make a judgment on how effective a player is going to be in the long run. He definitely had an impressive game but I’m going to hold off on starting the hype train for the time being :p

Everyone played in highschool once, you can only play against what's in front of you. If you can shoot it, you're probably going to be able to shoot it in college, especially if you're not undersized/unathletic, and work hard.

I’m certainly not blaming Parker for having a good game, just trying to pump the brakes a little before his coronation :p

Living off of jumpers becomes more difficult every single level you jump. There are bigger and faster athletes in College than in High School, and likewise even bigger and faster ones in the NBA. Every shot becomes more contested, every defense more advanced. Its not a simple 1:1 transition for shooters.

Parker was a good shooter in high school, certainly. He was also in another class athletically and size-wise. Now, as he goes through college competition (and NBA competition in the future), that athletic and size advantage diminishes considerably. Thus there is a renewed emphasis on his jumper as the crux of his offensive arsenal. I’m waiting to see if his jumper really is that good or if this is just a hot streak.

Hence the Beasley comparison. Off-court issues aside, Beasley’s problem was that he was undersized for his position (although he had considerable athletic gifts) and his jumper wasn’t good enough to make up for it. Beasley dominated college much like Parker is doing now, but couldn’t live up to the superior athletes in the NBA. He hasn’t had a single good year scoring the basketball in his entire career. And that’s before we even get to his off-court issues. On-court, Beasley was a disaster.

Ultimately, when you are a Jabari Parker size-wise and athletically, your game has to be meticulously good elsewhere if you want to be a superstar. Because that’s the hype coming in, that there are at least three franchise-type players in this draft (possibly more). There’s no doubt in my mind that Parker could walk onto an NBA court today and average at least 14 points a game. The question is, how much better than that can he go? Are we talking about a future 20ppg scorer? 25ppg? 30? If he wants to live up to the hype, his jumper has to be great, and we’re not talking about in the Luol Deng-good range. His jumper needs to be in the Pierce, Kobe, Prime Brandon Roy stratosphere.

I’m not ruling him out, but I’m not anointing him yet either. It’s a long college season ahead.

Fair enough. Out of curiousity, do you see him as a SF or PF? Earlier I got the impression you see him as a PF, but now I'm thinking you see him as a SF. I see him as the latter, with the ability to post up. But most of his game is suited towards being a SF, where I think his size is slightly above average, rather than just average.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
But .. but ... that means he missed 40%.