KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woj absolutely has no read on Monte without Dumars here lol
Well, great news about teams busting down the door. Gives Monte all the leverage in the world, even with DET or Indy.

"Ooo, sorry. SAS just offered 9+Keldon+Vassell. We're going to need Bey if you want 4"

Walking out of this draft with Murray/Daniels and a pile of assets would be an incredible haul. Leverage that Ivey draft slot Monte.

Woj absolutely has no read on Monte without Dumars here lol
Here's my big question, if NBA teams truly see this as a 4-person draft, why is Ivey not going top 3?

It's a guard's league. Picking a talented big just gets you Ayton>Doncic or Wiseman>Ball.

I guess the main guy I'm talking about is Chet here. Paolo could be a point-forward down the line, and Jabari has guard skills.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Here's my big question, if NBA teams truly see this as a 4-person draft, why is Ivey not going top 3?

It's a guard's league. Picking a talented big just gets you Ayton>Doncic or Wiseman>Ball.

I guess the main guy I'm talking about is Chet here. Paolo could be a point-forward down the line, and Jabari has guard skills.
Because I think even though they think these 4 guys are the clear best players in the class, there's still a pretty sizable gap between those three bigs (some variation of elite modern big skills and defensive versatility aside from Paolo) and Jaden Ivey (absolute gamebreakingly explosive athlete who sometimes looks like he's forgotten how to dribble a basketball).

I have negative interest in Grant but this is getting closer.
I don't even need Grant, just give me Bey+5 for 4 and filler. Bey answers a lot of the Kings spacing/wing problems and I think still has real defensive upside. Bey-Keegan are literally perfect for a modern 3-4 duo with regards to spacing/length/switchability on defense.

And we know Monte already called about Bey, so could be some finagling going on there

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
With Bey also coming back in a potential deal, we could flip Grant to the Blazers for their Hart + #7 package. Use the 7 to draft Mathurin/Sharpe/Daniels
I've been reasonably vocal about wanting to take a swing on Sharpe, even at #4. Landing a vet package of Bey/Grant or Bey/Hart and taking Sharpe at #5/#7 would obviously be even better, and give us the latitude to take that swing because the vets work towards Playoffs Now Mode. And Daniels/Murray would be pretty nice consolation prizes at #7 if Sharpe goes #5/#6 (or honestly, even at #5, if that's who we love).

I'm beginning to think it's inevitable the pick will be traded in some way. The only question is just how much we are going to squeeze out of it. Oh, and how many NBA Finals MVPs Ivey is going to win for another team, of course.

I've been reasonably vocal about wanting to take a swing on Sharpe, even at #4. Landing a vet package of Bey/Grant or Bey/Hart and taking Sharpe at #5/#7 would obviously be even better, and give us the latitude to take that swing because the vets work towards Playoffs Now Mode. And Daniels/Murray would be pretty nice consolation prizes at #7 if Sharpe goes #5/#6 (or honestly, even at #5, if that's who we love).

I'm beginning to think it's inevitable the pick will be traded in some way. The only question is just how much we are going to squeeze out of it. Oh, and how many NBA Finals MVPs Ivey is going to win for another team, of course.
you know... I'm not the biggest Ivey fan, but when's the last time 5+ teams tried trading up for a specific player?

Maybe we should just draft him...

you know... I'm not the biggest Ivey fan, but when's the last time 5+ teams tried trading up for a specific player?

there's a reason why those teams are calling about Ivey because the Kings already are committed to Fox and possibly Mitchell long term

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I would make it a easy pick. Take Ivey at 4 or one of the bigs if they fall to 4.
Let the other teams pound sand as no superstars are getting traded to us for the 4th pick.

I’m only trading the pick for multiple future firsts. A trade so lopsided fans and talking heads and everyone under the NBA sun is like “The league should really step in and rescind this trade” level bad godfather offer.

Who knows, but it's only a good thing for us if that interest is real to create a bidding war. Ivey is a good prospect, but he's not any of the top 3 guys and he's not anything special compared to recent guard prospects in the last few drafts. I threw out some "Realistic" trade back offers in a post a few days ago, but if 4 or 5 teams are bidding with each other and improve on those? It'd be almost impossible for us to lose in value.

I’m still rooting for Sharpe, but I’d be ok with a couple of other choices as well. I think Sharpe is the most talented player in the entire draft, but talent isn’t enough as we all know. Draft night will be exciting!

I would make it a easy pick. Take Ivey at 4 or one of the bigs if they fall to 4.
Let the other teams pound sand as no superstars are getting traded to us for the 4th pick.
One thing I overlooked is when Woj said "I think they [Kings] see this essentially as a 4 player draft.. there's a drop-off after 4"
We could end up with Ivey after all.

Who knows, but it's only a good thing for us if that interest is real to create a bidding war. Ivey is a good prospect, but he's not any of the top 3 guys and he's not anything special compared to recent guard prospects in the last few drafts. I threw out some "Realistic" trade back offers in a post a few days ago, but if 4 or 5 teams are bidding with each other and improve on those? It'd be almost impossible for us to lose in value.
If we had a hole at PG, I'd easily draft Ivey at #4 and call it a day. His talent is polarizing, but I don't think he's a can't-miss prospect.

But with Woj saying that teams outside the lotto are also looking to trade for him... that's a game-changer right there.

I really don't remember the last time these many teams wanted to trade up for 1 specific player. This might be the first. Usually you might hear about team X falling in love with a player and trying to trade up, but not 5+ teams falling in love with the same one.

I love the idea of trading #4 to Detroit for #5 and Bey in theory mostly because I've got Mathurin and Murray at the top of my board and both would still be available. If Monte drafts someone else there I'd be less enthusiastic. We really only need to plug one hole here with this draft and top 4 picks are so rare for us that I want us to get the best player in the draft if possible. It could be Ivey or Banchero. My money is on Mathurin or Murray. I don't think it will be Smith, Holmgren, Sharpe, or Daniels.

One thing I overlooked is when Woj said "I think they [Kings] see this essentially as a 4 player draft.. there's a drop-off after 4"
We could end up with Ivey after all.

If we had a hole at PG, I'd easily draft Ivey at #4 and call it a day. His talent is polarizing, but I don't think he's a can't-miss prospect.

But with Woj saying that teams outside the lotto are also looking to trade for him... that's a game-changer right there.

I really don't remember the last time these many teams wanted to trade up for 1 specific player. This might be the first. Usually you might hear about team X falling in love with a player and trying to trade up, but not 5+ teams falling in love with the same one.
Everyone pretty much saw this as top 4 UNTIL the Kings got the 4th pick. lol. They used Givony to start the land slide and now teams are flat out putting it out there they want Ivey. Sorry GM's, there's a new sheriff in town and he's taken BPA twice. Deal with it or deal for it.

I love the idea of trading #4 to Detroit for #5 and Bey in theory mostly because I've got Mathurin and Murray at the top of my board and both would still be available. If Monte drafts someone else there I'd be less enthusiastic. We really only need to plug one hole here with this draft and top 4 picks are so rare for us that I want us to get the best player in the draft if possible. It could be Ivey or Banchero. My money is on Mathurin or Murray. I don't think it will be Smith, Holmgren, Sharpe, or Daniels.
If the Pistons offered that I would hope Monte had the paperwork filed before he even got off his phone.

Fascinating to see the spin work in real time.

The “Sacramento is not Ivey’s Prefered Destination” narrative seems to have stemmed entirely from Johnathan Givony’s ESPN mock draft article on Wednesday, which I can’t read because it’s behind a paywall. But thanks to Twitter it is everywhere and accepted as fact.

Still, I had to wonder just where the hell he got that information, because as far as I can tell, he didn’t cite any sources. Not even the “those close to Ivey and familiar with his thinking” anonymous sources. He just wrote the factoid as if it was self-evident and moved on.

Well, seems his source is a Sports Illustrated article on Tuesday in which Ivey is asked where he would want to be drafted.

It’s important to note, at the start he gave the incredibly stock answer “Whatever team thinks I’m a good fit for them, I’m just going to go with it … I would love to go anywhere.”

Only then does he give the very human answer that his mom played for the Shock, so he’s lived in Detroit, and knows the area well. And he’s an Indiana kid, his mom played for the Fever, so playing for the Pacers would be an honor.

At no point is there any inkling that he would prefer NOT to be drafted by Sacramento. Quite the opposite actually. But that’s not a sexy tweet or tag line, so we warp his answer to a leading question into suggesting he’s angling for specific teams to draft him and it’s not the crappy Kings.

https://thespun.com/.amp/more/inter...den-ivey-nba-draft-teams-hed-like-to-play-for

Damn I’m sick of internet-era journalism. Unfortunately I’m a dinosaur grumbling in the corner that the pace of both news and basketball has gotten way too fast.

That said, if no less than a half dozen teams are clambering for the Kings to mess this up so Ivey falls to them, I’m all for just drafting the kid and giving the league a middle finger.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Fascinating to see the spin work in real time.

The “Sacramento is not Ivey’s Prefered Destination” narrative seems to have stemmed entirely from Johnathan Givony’s ESPN mock draft article on Wednesday, which I can’t read because it’s behind a paywall. But thanks to Twitter it is everywhere and accepted as fact.

Still, I had to wonder just where the hell he got that information, because as far as I can tell, he didn’t cite any sources. Not even the “those close to Ivey and familiar with his thinking” anonymous sources. He just wrote the factoid as if it was self-evident and moved on.

Well, seems his source is a Sports Illustrated article on Tuesday in which Ivey is asked where he would want to be drafted.

It’s important to note, at the start he gave the incredibly stock answer “Whatever team thinks I’m a good fit for them, I’m just going to go with it … I would love to go anywhere.”

Only then does he give the very human answer that his mom played for the Shock, so he’s lived in Detroit, and knows the area well. And he’s an Indiana kid, his mom played for the Fever, so playing for the Pacers would be an honor.

At no point is there any inkling that he would prefer NOT to be drafted by Sacramento. Quite the opposite actually. But that’s not a sexy tweet or tag line, so we warp his answer to a leading question into suggesting he’s angling for specific teams to draft him and it’s not the crappy Kings.

https://thespun.com/.amp/more/inter...den-ivey-nba-draft-teams-hed-like-to-play-for

Damn I’m sick of internet-era journalism. Unfortunately I’m a dinosaur grumbling in the corner that the pace of both news and basketball has gotten way too fast.

That said, if no less than a half dozen teams are clambering for the Kings to mess this up so Ivey falls to them, I’m all for just drafting the kid and giving the league a middle finger.

Givony is a HUGE agent shill so that's probably entirely Ivey/Haliburton's agent talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.