KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You know I actually think Fox/Ivey could work together...
And this is a key part of negotiations. The Kings don’t HAVE TO trade the pick. The Sabonis-Hali trade essentially reset that guard logjam even with DDV coming in. A lot of national media guys seem to think that the Haliburton trade was done to clear up playing time for Davion but for all intents and purposes, it was done simply to acquire a star. Monte isn’t going to get rid of the pick just to get rid of it.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It wouldn't be ideal, but it isn't as terrible a pairing as some have made it out to be. The lazy narrative is that Ivey and Fox are essentially the same player. De'Aaron shot just under 25% from three the season before he was drafted. Ivey shot just under 36% from three last season. Their freshman 3PT shooting numbers are more similar, but that's the point. Ivey clearly improved from outside while Fox is still a poor outside shooter. Also, Ivey essentially either shot from 3 or at the hoop where Fox does a lot of his damage in the midrange. With Ivey used to playing off the ball, he can spot up from outside or be a cutter for either Sabonis or Fox.

Lots of questions defensively, but they could play together for sure.

Which is why (assuming Jabari, Chet, and Paolo go 1,2, and 3) the approach shouldn't be to just take the best deal. The approach should be, you need to wow us with an offer or we'll just draft Ivey and figure it out later.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
And if this really becomes a bidding war, how about this:

DET trades: Jerami Grant, Saddiq Bey, Cory Joseph and #5
DET receives: Harrison Barnes, Justin Holiday, Kai Jones, #4 and #49

CHA trades: PJ Washington, Kelly Oubre Jr, Kai Jones and #13
CHA receives: Richaun Holmes, Jerami Grant, and Alex Len

SAC trades: Harrison Barnes, Richaun Holmes, Justin Holiday, Alex Len #4 and #49
SAC receives: Saddiq Bey, PJ Washington, Cory Joseph, Mason Plumlee, Kelly Oubre Jr, #5 and #13

Plumlee is only partially guaranteed for next season, and Joseph and Oubre are ending contracts. Not ideal to give up Barnes, but it avoids the issue of having to re-sign him. Grab Hartenstein in free agency, re-sign DiVincenzo, draft Daniels or Sharpe at 5 and Eason at 13 and you have:

C Sabonis/Hartenstein/Jones or Queta
PF Washingon/Lyles/Metu
SF Bey/Oubre/Eason
SG DiVincenzo/Daniels or Sharpe/Davis
PG Fox/Mitchell/Joseph

A very solid, young starting lineup with tons of positional and cap flexibility.

I doubt it happens, but it gives Detroit a second star to pair with Cade and a veteran SF/PF to replace Bey, as well as a low risk swing on Kai. Charlotte gets an upgrade at center who fits better with Ball (and is more valuable with Harrell likely to be suspended), and a better fit at PF with Grant.

And I know Detroit is hoping for a lot more for Grant, but we saw what the Rockets just got for Wood. They aren't going to re-sign him to a huge deal, so he's only going to lose value from now until the trade deadline. What team is going to give up anything of value for less than half a season of Jerami Grant only to either lose him for nothing or give him at $100 million deal?

Hornets and Piston fans would likely hate it, but honestly, if you aren't going to put a huge offer in place for Ivey, you won't get him. I know there are teams that think he's the best player in the draft. If Detroit is one of them, they should move whatever they need to pair him with Cade and build around those two as your stars.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see Detroit giving up Bey to move up one slot. I mean I hope they do but I bet Piston fans are scoffing at our idea of that.
I see it the other way. Assuming they think Ivey is a star, I think they'd easily do that and hope it's enough. From the little I've seen from Piston fans online, they seem okay with it.

i might have seen it here or Twitter but I like the trade proposal of
Kings out : #4
Kings in : #5 and #7

Pistons out : #5 and jerami grant
Pistons in : #4

Blazers out : #7
Blazers in : jerami grant

this is the simplified version that works on the trade machine. We can try our best to get Detroit to add bey but I doubt they give up grant and bey to move up one spot. Maybe we can throw in our late 2nd rounder to appease the pistons or blazers who might want more. But in the end, pistons get coveted #4, blazers get win now help for dame, kings get 2 shots at the lottery in Murray/sharpe/mathurin/daniels etc

this is the simplified version that works on the trade machine. We can try our best to get Detroit to add bey but I doubt they give up grant and bey to move up one spot. Maybe we can throw in our late 2nd rounder to appease the pistons or blazers who might want more. But in the end, pistons get coveted #4, blazers getvwin now help for dame, kings get 2 shots at the lottery in Murray/sharpe/mathurin/daniels etc
honestly that trade would be beautiful if it’s a real possibility

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah, maybe we just take Ivey? A half dozen teams seem to think he's going to be their #1 or #2. Why can't he be our #1b or #2b? I know we're supposed to be in win-now mode because of Vivek but does a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years really need a bunch of players that other lottery teams have deemed expendable and/or future picks that will quite likely end up lower than 4th overall?

Yeah, maybe we just take Ivey? A half dozen teams seem to think he's going to be their #1 or #2. Why can't he be our #1b or #2b? I know we're supposed to be in win-now mode because of Vivek but does a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 16 years really need a bunch of players that other lottery teams have deemed expendable and/or future picks that will quite likely end up lower than 4th overall?
Agreed. Sacramento either gets a King’s Ransom or Ivey.

Just tell Vivek the Warriors’ championship parade is on June 23rd and he won’t show up to the war room anyway.

this is the simplified version that works on the trade machine. We can try our best to get Detroit to add bey but I doubt they give up grant and bey to move up one spot. Maybe we can throw in our late 2nd rounder to appease the pistons or blazers who might want more. But in the end, pistons get coveted #4, blazers get win now help for dame, kings get 2 shots at the lottery in Murray/sharpe/mathurin/daniels etc
I don't hate it. Can take Murray at 5 and can get someone like Mathurin/Eason/Daniels, or if you're feeling brave, Sharpe.

I understand why teams were beating down the door to try and move up to get Luka. He's a large wing with a point guard skillset that included elite scoring and playmaking who had won the euroleague championship and mvp at 19.

I don't understand this fascination with Ivey. There just isn't enough playmaking there to be your primary facilitator and as a scorer he wasn't dominate. 33 points per 100 possessions on 58 ts isn't world beating when your calling card is your scoring ability. 6'4" would with a 6'9" wingspan would be excellent size at point guard, but as a two guard it just isn't very special. His athleticism isn't leading to incredible production.

The high end outcome for him in my opinion is Donovan Mitchell, but his floor could be pretty low if he isn't able to become a very high end scorer. His low steal rate also give me pause.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The nice thing is we can (probably) pick him and do whatever we want if teams are really that high on him. But of course he could go 1-3 especially if Chet is playing games. That would be the absolute worst scenario if he fell to us and we don't have the medicals. I will be so relieved when his name gets called.

I thought they were so high on Luka Haliburton over there?
Listened to 5 minutes of the “3 random dudes from Australia who are somehow Pacers fans” podcast, and realized “selling the farm” for Ivey does not include sending Haliburton back to Sacramento.

It would seem Haliburton is not the farm. He is the very sun and rain the farm needs to exist at all.

The purpose of trading the 4th pick would theoretically be to obtain some pieces to win now. The logical part of my brain won't allow me to understand how taking back pieces from a team like Detroit gets the Kings closer to that point. Grant and/or Bey. Take note that Detroit is trying to find a star to pair with Cade in the draft. Meaning, they don't have one on their team yet.

I would rather bundle this year and maybe a future pick to get a genuine all star or borderline all star, than to trade for another lottery teams scraps.

The nice thing is we can (probably) pick him and do whatever we want if teams are really that high on him. But of course he could go 1-3 especially if Chet is playing games. That would be the absolute worst scenario if he fell to us and we don't have the medicals. I will be so relieved when his name gets called.
I would be thrilled if he fell to 4. I have him as the only tier 1 player in this draft.

The purpose of trading the 4th pick would theoretically be to obtain some pieces to win now. The logical part of my brain won't allow me to understand how taking back pieces from a team like Detroit gets the Kings closer to that point. Grant and/or Bey. Take note that Detroit is trying to find a star to pair with Cade in the draft. Meaning, they don't have one on their team yet.

I would rather bundle this year and maybe a future pick to get a genuine all star or borderline all star, than to trade for another lottery teams scraps.
Yes and no. What if the "Kings are looking for a win now vet" is overblown. Would you take #5 plus say next year's top 7 protected first from Detroit? If Monte isn't necessarily as high on Jayden as others, a trade back doesn't necessarily need to be for someone else's marginal pieces. I'm cool if we pick up a few extra 1sts down the line if possible.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

In a vacuum, Saddiq Bey is big improvement at the other forward spot over starting Harkless or Metu.

Sabonis
Barnes
Bey
DiVincenzo
Fox

IMO is much better than

Sabonis
Barnes
Harkless or Lyles or Metu
DiVincenzo
Fox

So it really depends on McNair's evaluation of Ivey and the players that will likely picked after him. If he also sees Ivey as a star, and Murray, Daniels, Mathurin as role players then it makes zero sense to trade down just to get Bey. But if he has another player rated equally who also represents a better fit, then getting Bey is just a bonus.

Again, the Kings don't HAVE to trade the pick. The goal is to get the most talent and move from there.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I would be thrilled if he fell to 4. I have him as the only tier 1 player in this draft.
Chet? He reportedly won't give medicals and didn't do the NBA heart exam, which is the first tell for Marfan Syndrome. If those reports are accurate it is a gigantic red flag and I don't see how you can take that chance.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm on record as being in favor of trading a lightly protected future FRP if we can go from #4 to #2 and get Chet. There have been rumors that OKC loves Ivey, so it could be possible. I really like Jabari but I think he goes #1. And Banchero represents a go-to scorer with good playmaking in a huge frame, which is a very valuable player type in today's NBA. But he's possibly a worse fit with Fox and Sabonis than Ivey.

Holmgren solves a lot of issues. He can stretch the floor and defend the rim. He can play alongside Sabonis or (in some matchups) as the lone big. He can playmake. He can rebound. He's shown to at least be decent guarding on the perimeter. And he still has a lot of untapped talent.

I'm on record as being in favor of trading a lightly protected future FRP if we can go from #4 to #2 and get Chet. There have been rumors that OKC loves Ivey, so it could be possible. I really like Jabari but I think he goes #1. And Banchero represents a go-to scorer with good playmaking in a huge frame, which is a very valuable player type in today's NBA. But he's possibly a worse fit with Fox and Sabonis than Ivey.

Holmgren solves a lot of issues. He can stretch the floor and defend the rim. He can play alongside Sabonis or (in some matchups) as the lone big. He can playmake. He can rebound. He's shown to at least be decent guarding on the perimeter. And he still has a lot of untapped talent.
Holmgren is not only the best talent in my opinion; he's also the best fit alongside Keegan Murray. I'm not so in love with Banchero because I generally don't like big men that can't defend. I absolutely hated Bagley as a prospect for that reason. Banchero has a lot more offensive talent than Bagley. You're right though, he would be an awful fit here. The worst fit far and away of the lottery most likely. He needs the ball in his hands, isn't a good shooter and is a poor defender. Just an absolute dreadful fit alongside fox and sabonis. My nightmare scenario is OKC selecting Ivey and then Houston taking Chet. I would also be interested in moving to 2 to guarantee Chet if OKC really loves Ivey.

Status
Not open for further replies.