[Game] Kings @ Magic - Sunday, Aug. 2 - 3 PM PT

How do you feel about the crowd noises during the games?

• Love it.

• Like it.

• Meh.

• Not a fan.

• There's crowd noise?

Results are only viewable after voting.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I hope I can get used to recognizing opposition players by their jersey by numbers. I hadn't realized how much I depend upon the "names on the back" to tell who the other guys are...

It felt so strange watching the game and cutting to Doug and G-Man in the empty G1C. I've created a poll to see how we feel about the fake crowd noise and video clips. Personally, I think it's a good thing for the players if no one else. Those guys are used to playing in front of crowds (for the most part). When all you hear are the cursewords and squeaking sneakers, it juts doesn't feel like a real game. I just like not getting so frustrated that I mute the audio.

It's good to be watching the Kings again.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The fake crowd noise isn't as horrible as it has been in baseball but it feels like a bit more effort could be put into using the fake crowd noise in big moments as opposed to sporadically but as often as possible.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Not a fan. I don't like "fake" in general, and this just strikes me as more of that. Same thing with digitally putting fans in seats for a TV broadcast or anything else. I want to see what it is as it is happening. I don't want piped in noise or digital faces to try to make it look like something it isn't.

The game ended up muted at my house. IMO the Kings broadcast went from an Emmy award winning entertainment program to barely watchable. The loss of Grant and Jerry are a large part of it IMO. They were the heart and soul of a great broadcast. Fired and retired with barely a whimper.

No crowd takes away a bit of majesty pro sports has always had. The large arenas filled with people carry much of the splendor of what makes sports great.

Its good to have the Kings back playing . I wish them all the best and hope they succeed. It is interesting times we now live in.

I don't like fake. Period. But if my vote actually meant something, I'd vote to support what the players want. If the fake stuff motivates them, then I'll go along with it.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
No crowd takes away a bit of majesty pro sports has always had. The large arenas filled with people carry much of the splendor of what makes sports great.
But there AREN'T any people in the arenas. Why would you want fake people/noise there on TV/radio?

I don't like fake. Period. But if my vote actually meant something, I'd vote to support what they players want. If the fake stuff motivates them, then I'll go along with it.
OK, I can see this angle. Somewhat. If piped-in crowd noise is critical to professional players then ... whatever, I guess. They are playing for a championship. They knew going into the bubble that it would be different than anything else they've done before. LBJ said it doesn't matter how many are in the stands, and I don't think it is THAT critical to other players either.

"We're two teams in the same city and two teams that's fighting for one common goal," Lakers star LeBron James said on a video conference call after scoring 16 points, grabbing 11 rebounds and dishing out 7 assists in the Lakers' 103-101 win over the Clippers. "And that's to win a championship and bring it to the city of Los Angeles and [each] fan base. So you have so many competitors on the floor -- going out there and representing the purple and gold, representing Laker nation; those guys are doing the same thing for their fan base. No matter what the [situation] is, no matter what the bubble is, no fans, or [with] fans, basketball is basketball and competitive spirit is competitive spirit, so we're right back to where we left off."
I don't want it piped in just for TV/radio though. Otherwise it's like going to a movie with CGI crowds filling in the podrace stands in Star Wars. This isn't a movie. This is competitive sports. I want to see and hear what is ACTUALLY going on. I'd actually love to hear the player and ref chatter more and crowd noise less. This is a completely different environment and a different challenge for players. I want to experience THAT. Don't pretend it isn't happening. Don't CGI all over it or drown it out with fake noise. What's the point? To make something unique and challenging seem like it doesn't exist?

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
The last Kings game also had sneaker squeaking streamed in that was echoing.. people were all standing around in a half court set and you could hear a loop of what sounded like 20 pairs of sneakers echoing in low quality

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
On the plus side (not really) the Magic are like the one team left in the bubble that the Kings could get away with playing big against on defense because their guard depth is bad.

The people in the stands are not fake though, they are digital, but they are real people who called in on a Teams call. The crowd noise is fake though.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
The people in the stands are not fake though, they are digital, but they are real people who called in on a Teams call. The crowd noise is fake though.
I was referring to this and similar actions (my comment was more general and not necessarily restricted to NBA), but I don't care for that much either:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/media/mlb-virtual-fans/index.html#:~:text=New York (CNN Business) Fans,season, the network announced Thursday.&text=The regular season will have its own challenges.

As long as they keep doing a good job with controlling covid, I will find a way to enjoy whatever ideas they want to explore. Im assuming that they will change or scrap things that just aren't working.

Go Kings!

But there AREN'T any people in the arenas. Why would you want fake people/noise there on TV/radio?
I did not say I wanted fake noise/people. Just said the full arenas add to the majesty that is pro sports.

For me, it is not the same Kings Broadcast I have enjoyed all these years. And yes I understand why, just stating my thoughts.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I did not say I wanted fake noise/people. Just said the full arenas add to the majesty that is pro sports.

For me, it is not the same Kings Broadcast I have enjoyed all these years. And yes I understand why, just stating my thoughts.
Ah. I read your post through the lens of the original question about "fake crowd noise and video clips". Sorry for the misunderstanding.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
You figured it was a matter of time before they just simply swung it over to Bjelicas man. I don't get it, I think they could possibly get away with playing traditional positional defense against the Magic. Put Bjelica on Gordon and see what happens.